B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Recruit
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I do a little backpacking and adventure racing so am in relatively decent shape. Not great though so will be putting the hammer down this winter to get in excellent shape. Also have two good pair of boots and pack. Binos will be the final upgrade...famous last words.

In the spirit of overthinking the rifle, I traded the BAR on a Ruger M77 30-06 yesterday. It's a tad lighter and the cold weather concerns with a semi-auto mentioned gave me enough excuse. Sounds like both concerns could be rectified but must admit part of the equation was just wanting a another rifle. Figure I have plenty of time now to practice with it and therefore no excuse for making a bad shot when the time comes!

Excellent choice in rifles right there. Now we want to hear more about it. Is it blued/wood or stainless with a boat paddle stock, newer Hawkeye or MKII, or older yet a tang safety model?? I love my Rugers and my 338 M77 MKII is my primary elk rifle. We can never "overthink" our elk rifles, especially in the off season wink

Well here is what all the hubbub lead to:

[Linked Image]

Its 1989 vintage so am not sure if Ruger made the barrel or Wilson did. Isn't this right about the time Ruger made the change? Also, anyone know if the laminate stock is stock or aftermarket? The butt pad is not exactly soft eek

Very nice tanger right there. looks like a factory laminate. I had one exactly like it and it was an excellent rifle. I culled it and many more back in the mid 90's after reading some very bad advice from Col. Craig Boddington. Live and learn..Your rifle will make an awesome "do all rifle".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
More than enough.

Thanks Mauser. Hopefully, the elk won't see the little blue tip coming either grin

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Paint the tip camo,problem solved. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by kutenay
Originally Posted by kutenay
That is among the BEST choices that you could have made, I suggest that you have the trigger "tuned" by a REAL "pro" smith, the rifle bedded in epoxy and fully-bedded works better for me than partially. I further suggest that you get two identical scopes, 4x Leupolds in fitted Ruger rings are just fine and then develop a sound, 2700+ load with the 180 NP.

Get a good sling, practice from FIELD positions and sight 2" high at 100, ON at 200, 2 FEET low at 400...works for me, very well.

Now, I spent many years where the daily use of optics was a major aspect of my wilderness employment. I must disagree with the previous gentleman, get a GOOD spotter, but, A SUPERB bino, NOT the reverse.

You SHOULD be using your bino MUCH more, every day, than your spotter and a decent Bushnell or Leupold spotter WILL work just fine. However, Leica, Zeiss and Swaro binos, ARE worth the hideous prices and this is from 46 years of owning these, Leica and Zeiss, at the moment and just giving up anything lesser....which, is everything else.

If, you are a novice with a bino, get a 7x or an 8x and a spotter, 20-25x for Elk is enough. The recent fascination with 10x and higher binos is, IMO, NOT condusive to the long, grinding hours of use that makes them pay off in game found by glassing.

The single best BC guide I have ever known used Alpen 8x and he was/is a master mountain man who has found more game than most will ever even think about.

JMHO, but, think over what I have said.

Thanks very much kutenay. I appreciate your insights. A few questions:

1) Why two scopes? Haven't made up my mind on 2x7, 3x9, 4x or 6x. I have a relative who may be willing to part with a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9.

2) Also have been reading up on accurizing. Before doing anything, I'll shoot some factory rounds and hope for a tack driver. However, I'm also hearing some of the older 77's have inconsistent throats...some deeper than others. Should an OAL check be done? I do reload. The rifle is 1989 vintage which was apparently about the time Ruger started making their own barrels and as a result tightening up tolerances.

3) Those are some high-end names you mention for binos. No luck with Leupolds or Nikons? 8X is what I have in mind.

Scopes break, ALL makes and this almost ALWAYS happens when you are on a costly hunt of the type that you can only go on a few times in your life. I have owned and do own scopes, binos and spotters from ALL the "name" makers plus others from "Wollensak", Weaver 330, "Bear Cub", Lyman, and on and on....including the top $$$$$ Zeiss, etc.

Generally, I prefer two, identical low-end variables, or a fixed 4x for 90% of my hunting and I can pretty much buy any scope I consider "best". I DO NOT, as do some of my buddies, use the Zeiss, Leica, S&B and Swaro "Euro" types as they are just TOO heavy for typical azz-busting Elk hunting.

My actual favourite Elk scope is the Leupy VX3-1.75x6 Matte, HEAVY DUPLEX and I have never found anything that works better in western/northern Canadian big game hunting. So, two of these, sighted, rings as mentioned and you are "GTG".

Binos, these and your footwear and your pack are THE repeat THE items that will have the greatest actual impact on your Elk hunting and there is NO REAL reason to NOT buy Zeiss Victory HT-8x40s. I see kids all the time, several hundred dollars of fancy, supposedly "weather-proof", signature camo, stretchy and SO trendy and "kewl" clothing on their bods and a crappy bino around their necks.

I don't care WHAT anyone buys/uses, but, I firmly believe that a fine bino and learning to USE it, will result in finding more game than any other single aspect of Elk hunting. YMMV, whatever.

Thanks Kutenay. It's apparent this isn't your first rodeo.

Man do I wish I could swing some of the equipment mentioned. Truth is, I just can't. To put into perspective, if my lead on a Bushnell 4200 doesn't work out, I'm wondering if going with a Leupold VXI is worth the extra few bucks more than a Redfield Revolution. Binos will likely have to be in the $200 range. That's just my reality.

I do have a newer pair Danners and Irish Setters for boots. This is one area I want duplication.

No more camo for me however. As a side note, I often wonder why I even put it on since a bright orange vest has to be put over it smile

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Leupold will be lighter than the Redfield, and have better glass.

That's if you meant the VX-1, and not the VX-I

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 12/04/13.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

There's always a trade off. You lost a little weight from the BAR, and gained quite a few lbs of recoil.

Recoil will be plenty managable. Depending on the real estate being hunted bino's and spotting scopes can be the difference. Sometimes (area) good quality 8-10x bino's are perfect and the spotter is just weight. Where I am hunting close to home now long shots and spot & stalk don't exist. It's just way to thick to hunt like this.

Being well practiced, in shape, and ready to hunt will make the biggest difference in enjoyment. Consider your clothing & equipment, be in shape, have a reliable gun, & good knife.

Last edited by BigNate; 12/04/13.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Man do I wish I could swing some of the equipment mentioned. Truth is, I just can't. To put into perspective, if my lead on a Bushnell 4200 doesn't work out, I'm wondering if going with a Leupold VXI is worth the extra few bucks more than a Redfield Revolution. Binos will likely have to be in the $200 range. That's just my reality.

I do have a newer pair Danners and Irish Setters for boots. This is one area I want duplication.

No more camo for me however. As a side note, I often wonder why I even put it on since a bright orange vest has to be put over it smile

Thats a lot of our reality - don't have the jing to buy top end. When the choice boils down to buying top end equipment and not hunting or buying decent equipment and going hunting the choice is easy.

Kute is spot on with boots, packs, and binos in general. A few suggestions for the budget minded:

Scope: Leupy VX-2 3x9x40. Buy one on fleabay for a couple more bucks than a new VX-1. IMHO the VX-2 is a great scope value

Binos: I'd look strong at the Minox. Doug at Cameraland has great prices. Buy a pair of open box specials. You can get a decent pair for $500 if you are patient. I have 3 pairs of Minox and have sold 6-8 more for Doug. Dad has Leica's and Zeiss. I've had all three in different light conditions using a acuity chart and in natural settings from woods to field. The top end glass is definitely better but not 3-4x cost better. I don't believe having the Minox vs Zeiss/Leica has ever cost me a game animal. The other bonus is that I'm not worried about breaking, losing, or having someone steal them.

Boots: sounds like you have that covered - as long as the Danners are American made version. I'm not a fan of the imported Danners. Bought my first pair of Irish Setters this year. So far so good but have only worn them a dozen times. Time will tell - I'm hard on boots.

Buy the best you can but most importantly go hunting.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YES!

NRA Lifetime Member
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Recruit,

Over time you will find yourself spending a lot of money on this elk hunting gear stuff. I to am forced to hunt on a budget, especially when you drop decent money just on tags to hunt as a non-resident hunter. Getting there costs, staying there costs, & everything you need to hunt there costs!

Buy smart, but don't think you'll have much fun if you try to do it as a minimalist. You can do it, but it isn't much fun. Been there done that. Montana can be COLD, especially if the wind blows.

Good pack boots during late October/November will be well worth the money you spend, warm clothing that is fairly light in weight w/warm long johns. Wool is the way I fly. Gaiters would be nice high up in the deeper snow. A good pack to day hunt with and assist in carrying meat out is a must or you can add trips to and from truck. Two good knives & survival equipment & some rope a must. Then everything you will need if you are camping out. That's pretty much minimalist right there.

If you add all this up as far as money you'll spend, you could hunt Africa and kill more animals. It's expensive so do your best and have fun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Gear will last a long time if you take care of it, and you don't buy junk.

The first year you buy everything hurts the worst.

Then it's just those pesky tag fees from then on.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bwinters

Thats a lot of our reality - don't have the jing to buy top end. When the choice boils down to buying top end equipment and not hunting or buying decent equipment and going hunting the choice is easy.

Kute is spot on with boots, packs, and binos in general. A few suggestions for the budget minded:

Scope: Leupy VX-2 3x9x40. Buy one on fleabay for a couple more bucks than a new VX-1. IMHO the VX-2 is a great scope value

Binos: I'd look strong at the Minox. Doug at Cameraland has great prices. Buy a pair of open box specials. You can get a decent pair for $500 if you are patient. I have 3 pairs of Minox and have sold 6-8 more for Doug. Dad has Leica's and Zeiss. I've had all three in different light conditions using a acuity chart and in natural settings from woods to field. The top end glass is definitely better but not 3-4x cost better. I don't believe having the Minox vs Zeiss/Leica has ever cost me a game animal. The other bonus is that I'm not worried about breaking, losing, or having someone steal them.

Boots: sounds like you have that covered - as long as the Danners are American made version. I'm not a fan of the imported Danners. Bought my first pair of Irish Setters this year. So far so good but have only worn them a dozen times. Time will tell - I'm hard on boots.

Buy the best you can but most importantly go hunting.

Thanks bwinters. Your last comment is my favorite. smile

Like your advice on a VX-2 too also. I buy used quite a bit if in very good to excellent shape.

Wish the boots were U.S. made but just checked and they're not. Will see how it goes...just glad to have two pair.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Leupold will be lighter than the Redfield, and have better glass.

That's if you meant the VX-1, and not the VX-I

Yep, meant the "one" not the "eye". Leupold sure didn't pick the easiest naming convention crazy A used VX-2 is appealling too.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I do a little backpacking and adventure racing so am in relatively decent shape. Not great though so will be putting the hammer down this winter to get in excellent shape. Also have two good pair of boots and pack. Binos will be the final upgrade...famous last words.

In the spirit of overthinking the rifle, I traded the BAR on a Ruger M77 30-06 yesterday. It's a tad lighter and the cold weather concerns with a semi-auto mentioned gave me enough excuse. Sounds like both concerns could be rectified but must admit part of the equation was just wanting a another rifle. Figure I have plenty of time now to practice with it and therefore no excuse for making a bad shot when the time comes!

Excellent choice in rifles right there. Now we want to hear more about it. Is it blued/wood or stainless with a boat paddle stock, newer Hawkeye or MKII, or older yet a tang safety model?? I love my Rugers and my 338 M77 MKII is my primary elk rifle. We can never "overthink" our elk rifles, especially in the off season wink

Well here is what all the hubbub lead to:

[Linked Image]

Its 1989 vintage so am not sure if Ruger made the barrel or Wilson did. Isn't this right about the time Ruger made the change? Also, anyone know if the laminate stock is stock or aftermarket? The butt pad is not exactly soft eek

Very nice tanger right there. looks like a factory laminate. I had one exactly like it and it was an excellent rifle. I culled it and many more back in the mid 90's after reading some very bad advice from Col. Craig Boddington. Live and learn..Your rifle will make an awesome "do all rifle".

Thanks BSA. Good to hear you've had postive experiences with the M77.

And all along, I've liked reading Craig Boddington's stuff. Oh well, such is life smile

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Now that's just plain good advice right there!

Thanks for the laugh grin

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
Recruit,

Over time you will find yourself spending a lot of money on this elk hunting gear stuff. I to am forced to hunt on a budget, especially when you drop decent money just on tags to hunt as a non-resident hunter. Getting there costs, staying there costs, & everything you need to hunt there costs!

Buy smart, but don't think you'll have much fun if you try to do it as a minimalist. You can do it, but it isn't much fun. Been there done that. Montana can be COLD, especially if the wind blows.

Good pack boots during late October/November will be well worth the money you spend, warm clothing that is fairly light in weight w/warm long johns. Wool is the way I fly. Gaiters would be nice high up in the deeper snow. A good pack to day hunt with and assist in carrying meat out is a must or you can add trips to and from truck. Two good knives & survival equipment & some rope a must. Then everything you will need if you are camping out. That's pretty much minimalist right there.

If you add all this up as far as money you'll spend, you could hunt Africa and kill more animals. It's expensive so do your best and have fun.

Thanks Wild Bill. Fortunately, I've amassed a collection of quality outdoor clothing over the last few years. I'm all about layers that can be added or shed as needed and wool is part of that equation here in Michigan too.

Yea those darned non-resident fees...ouch! But to me, it will be worth every penny as I've never experienced an out west elk hunt. You guys that do it on a regular basis don't know how good you've got it...or maybe you do. smile The only time I've seen elk, antelope or mule deer is on TV...and it just ain't the same. My brother lived in Kalispell for a few years and I was able to fly out and spend a week with him back in 2000. We spent 3 days canoeing the upper Missouri, fished and camped on the Blackfeet reservation anad also the Middle Fork?, hiked in Glacier, Bison range, etc. and while the pictures I brought home were nice, they just didn't do justice to seeing it first hand. I know the experience will be the same see elk, antelope and mule deer first hand.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BigNate

There's always a trade off. You lost a little weight from the BAR, and gained quite a few lbs of recoil.

Recoil will be plenty managable. Depending on the real estate being hunted bino's and spotting scopes can be the difference. Sometimes (area) good quality 8-10x bino's are perfect and the spotter is just weight. Where I am hunting close to home now long shots and spot & stalk don't exist. It's just way to thick to hunt like this.

Being well practiced, in shape, and ready to hunt will make the biggest difference in enjoyment. Consider your clothing & equipment, be in shape, have a reliable gun, & good knife.

Thanks Big Nate. I appreciate especially your last two sentences smile

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Now that's just plain good advice right there!

Thanks for the laugh grin
You're welcome. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Apropos, of costly gear, I DO have it, a LOT of it and I grew up in brutal poverty, have NEVER been "wealthy" and did not/will n ever inherit dime one.

HOW, very simple, I WANTED IT enough to WORK two jobs, I would take the most unwanted and toughest solo sites in my forestry employment and DO IT RIGHT and I learned HOW to buy the good stuff FIRST and look after it.

I was living in a mountain tent, in the snow near my hometown, unemployed and cutting wood,etc, for food money when I bought my current Zeiss bino in 1975 on "layaway". I had NEVER met the store owner and he asked his son if I was "OK" and the reply was yes, he is the most honest guy I know...I busted my azz with O/T in a local planermill to pay on time, with 365 surgical sutures in my right leg...so, I KNOW all about "hard times" and HOW to get the BEST gear, what little you NEED, not merely want, even when it LOOKS like you can't.....

You will NEVER regret buying a Zeiss bino and a really GOOD pack to hunt with, almost anything else, even your riflescope, can be of "GOOD" not absolutely BEST, quality and a 4x Leupy is a FINE choice for Elk, especially on an '06.

Whatever, I am NOT trying to argue or to denigrate the choices of others, here. For the BEST advice on hunting optics I know of, PM John Barsness, probably among the top 5 or 6 gun writers I have read in almost 60 years and the best working today, no question. He KNOWS his stuff and is also not some egomaniacal azzhole who will fill your head with bullsh!t.....

HTH.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Kutenay,

I apologize if I came across feeling denigrated by you with my words. I do not at all feel that way and was certainly not my intent to express in that matter. I appreciate you sharing your background. It's apparent you've worked hard for what you have as have I.

Perhaps the way I should have worded it was that hunting is a medium priority for me...or something like that. My personal downfall is having TOO many hobbies. My wife reminds me of this often blush. I enjoy hunting, woodworking, backpacking, adventure racing, radio-control cars and airplanes and I absoulutely love riding dirt bikes. I currently have 4 dirt bikes and have torn down and am in the process of rebuilding two of them. Couple that with annual trips to West Virginia for "riding adventures" and well...you get the point.

Anyway, what all this means is splitting funds to fuel the hobbies I enjoy. I'm a strong believer in if you want something material bad enough, you can aquire it through hard work. You have done this for your hunting "hobby". I wish I could focus on fewer or even one hobby but I'm entertained by too many things I guess.

At any rate, thank you for your help and insights. I appreciate hearing and learning from those who are truly dedicated to their hobby smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't own them but read on here that the Leupold Yosemites are suppose to be decent binos for about $130

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugeman, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 49 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,920
Posts18,518,786
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.