Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I am guilty myself but it depends where you are....I killed one in Alberta that grossed 160 and the outfitter asked....why the hell did you shoot THAT (Skane has seen a picture of that rack)....I could only respond that it looked BIG to me cause I don't see 160's every day........but Alberta is a very freaky place to chase whitetails. Your perspective gets thrown all out of whack.

Bob, I think this is the picture you're referencing? (that's Bob holding the rack.. laugh )
Damn fine buck.

[Linked Image]

Scott LMAO! That's the one! grin

Jennifer will appreciate that she was not splashed all over the CF! LOL! I will show her this.

Thanks for posting!

Funny thing is I have never gotten that buck mounted...it really should be,he's a nice deer. frown

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/05/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kutenay
Bob, much the same thing is the case here in BC and those roads legally open to motor vehicle use in hunting season are usually "dragstrips", especially on early season weekends and the long weekends of "Thanksgiving" and "Remembrance Day".

What I do and have for quite some years, is to just climb the ridges above some of these roads, SLOWLY, at my age and rather "gimped" condition. If, one can get up there and just WATCH, deer.etc. are often seen moving away from the "Hunter's Motor Brigade" and some good chances for shots can/do happen.

This, actually, is probably THE most productive method of hunting Elk, WT Deer and Mulies for older guys in much of BC and one DOES NOT NEED to wear all the $$$$ camo-G/T-stretchy clothing and matching pack, gaiters, hankies and even "gonch" that those "real"hunters in 4x4s and on ATVs always seem to wear...... wink

One of my favourite areas to hunt locally is at the top of our old river valey.
it overlooks the busy highway, and has several trails running up from the highway to te top where the pipeline runs.
The quads and UTV's run up there and along the pipeline, but hunting inside the bush there is VERY productive, even when the traffic is all over the highway and quads are zpping along the pipeline.
I normally have no proboem gettigna deer there for the freezer, nor do any of the others that hunt it on foot.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Funny thing is I have never gotten that buck mounted...it really should be,he's a nice deer. frown

I have some extra capes of Canadian-sized deer already tanned at the taxi if you're so inclined. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by kutenay
This, issue is one of a number in western-northern Canadian hunting that MUST be addressed and soon, given the severe declines in population numbers of some of our most sought-after game animals and one or two other major aspects of the entire situation.

I think that the province should immediately institute much stricter limits on SIZE, numbers available to "NR-A" hunters and also perhaps close hunting to all but Sask. residents in certain areas for a few years.

We need to do this here in BC, with sheep in some areas, Moose in the entire Kootenay Region and some other local situations.

However, I doubt that such enlightened game management will happen, the herds will be hunted to well-nigh extinction to grab that last $$$$ and, as always, there will never be sufficient staff on the management agencies to really enforce the regs. now in effect.

It is a bloody sad thing, as good management can and, IMO, would ensure some good hunting for many people for decades to come, but, the "quick buck" and the other major issue of "hunting" will probably wreck it for everyone.

It is almost impossible to get FACTS from BC Wildlife Branch staffers by phone or e-mails, they are in fear of their jobs, but, just the CBH sheep in "The Chilcotin" alone, show what is happening and how badly the resource has been dealt with.

I do not trust "outfitters" to manage game, I know of too many situations where an outfitter pulled off some slimy deals on clients and also knowingly broke the law for a quick buck, so, I support proper government agency management.

Kinda hard to manage a game poplation anywhere in Canada when one of the largest user groups, indians, has no seasons or bag limits. Add to that metis in AB, SK and MB having the same rights and I wonder what this "management" term you're referring to for licensed hunters can actually accomplish?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Wellll, I sorta suggested as much and now we will have "CSer" begin to whinge about all the usual BS.....

I won't say what I really think and I suspect most here feel very much as I do, but, prefer to keep this forum free of certain comments as it will not change anything and we also enjoy at least some of the hunting commentary here.

The solution, welll, I think it is going to end, badly.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
They say, "You can only go to the well, so often."
Hunting, predators, weather, disease, and more perhaps thin a herd.
Consider the Great Plains Bison herd.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scott OK I will call you on that. Thanks!

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I went up to central sask saw a lot of deer and killed a 6:6 164" deer had some real good ones on camera. There were a couple rebels in camp by Tuesday they shot 100" deer no patience at all great hunt going back next year

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Trap4fur
I went up to central sask saw a lot of deer and killed a 6:6 164" deer had some real good ones on camera. There were a couple rebels in camp by Tuesday they shot 100" deer no patience at all great hunt going back next year

Nice! How many days did you hunt?

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (12344mag, 219DW, 1lesfox, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,617
Posts18,473,974
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.