Originally Posted by kutenay
This, issue is one of a number in western-northern Canadian hunting that MUST be addressed and soon, given the severe declines in population numbers of some of our most sought-after game animals and one or two other major aspects of the entire situation.

I think that the province should immediately institute much stricter limits on SIZE, numbers available to "NR-A" hunters and also perhaps close hunting to all but Sask. residents in certain areas for a few years.

We need to do this here in BC, with sheep in some areas, Moose in the entire Kootenay Region and some other local situations.

However, I doubt that such enlightened game management will happen, the herds will be hunted to well-nigh extinction to grab that last $$$$ and, as always, there will never be sufficient staff on the management agencies to really enforce the regs. now in effect.

It is a bloody sad thing, as good management can and, IMO, would ensure some good hunting for many people for decades to come, but, the "quick buck" and the other major issue of "hunting" will probably wreck it for everyone.

It is almost impossible to get FACTS from BC Wildlife Branch staffers by phone or e-mails, they are in fear of their jobs, but, just the CBH sheep in "The Chilcotin" alone, show what is happening and how badly the resource has been dealt with.

I do not trust "outfitters" to manage game, I know of too many situations where an outfitter pulled off some slimy deals on clients and also knowingly broke the law for a quick buck, so, I support proper government agency management.

Kinda hard to manage a game poplation anywhere in Canada when one of the largest user groups, indians, has no seasons or bag limits. Add to that metis in AB, SK and MB having the same rights and I wonder what this "management" term you're referring to for licensed hunters can actually accomplish?