Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For stand hunting I like several layers of merino wool long johns, under my fleece, under my heavy wool pants. But I wear a modern thermolite insulated parka that zips up high around my neck.

Also, like tight wool glove inserts inside of my bulky leather gloves and smarwool socks are comfortable.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've got a set of the Filson Wool camouflage: the 24 oz. wool pants and the Double Mackinaw cruiser, but I don't wear it often any more. I got it about 11 years ago, but never was able to get the warmth out of it that it is so legendary for. Perhaps the wind in central OK is too much for wool? I also have a pair of the Filson Merino Wool long underwear, but retired it for the same reason. Filson wool is durable as all get out, as the only tear came from me kneeling down and having my knife get pushed down through its sheath and into my thigh when I bent over to tie a shoe. Still looks like the day I got it though.

I've got a Filson red/black plaid vest that I wear over my Cabelas unlined wool fatigue sweater that I got at the same time as everything else in 2002. Those two garments get worn a lot.

Now, my go to is Cabela's Wooltimate Pants and pullover, with a Cabela's berber fleece windshear vest when it's windy. I had a pair of the Filson Merino wool socks that got stolen, holy crap those were the berries.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Occasionally depending on conditions

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Johnson wool coat (I got at Hussey's on my trip to Maine this year) and Johnson wool pants I found on ebay for a great deal.

That with a good base layer and my old wool sweater helped keep it bearable this year.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Still nothing better than a good wool coat and wool pants for elk hunting in the timber after a fresh snow. The wool is quiet and sheds the snow.
I still try to get up to the Gallatin at least once a year, I leave all the plastic home and wear a Filson or Woolrich red plaid coat and carry a 30-40 Krag.
Not many elk left up there, but my father hunted that way 65 years ago, I like to relive it as often as I can.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple of weeks ago I was up in Scotland stalking Red hinds and on the last day the weather turned nasty and we were getting squalls of driving hail and sleet..

I was wearing wool gloves and within half an hour they were soaked and my hands were frozen..Next year I will be taking gloves that are synthetic/ water proof....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been wearing a Filson wool vest while hunting in cool weather for the last 20 years, good vest.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
-33 merino long johns and ebay cashmere sweater. Also, Bass Pro wool lifetime guarantee wool socks are great.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pete E
A couple of weeks ago I was up in Scotland stalking Red hinds and on the last day the weather turned nasty and we were getting squalls of driving hail and sleet..

I was wearing wool gloves and within half an hour they were soaked and my hands were frozen..Next year I will be taking gloves that are synthetic/ water proof....

Gloves arent an issue for me. Growing up hunting diving ducks on the finger lakes I had an old timer who made told me that only chicken [bleep] wear gloves when picking up the dekes. And if I wanted to be a real diver man, I had to lose some skin to the ice on the decoys. Wvery time i would complain about my hands being cold he would tell me to just do what he did and submerge his hands in the water for a few seconds. Since them my hands hands rarely get cold enough to complain about

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
yep when I was young that was all we had, then went to synthetics and now I am using wool and synthetic blends

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've got a pair of Johnson mills wool pants, some Army surplus wool pants, an issue wool fatigue sweater, and a Woolrich red plaid coat. The Johnson mills pants and the sweater get the most use. I'm too "prosperous" to layer under the coat. I have two Duofold underwear bottoms. A combination of wool and synthetic seems to work well for me.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You bet.. For any cold weather hunting..

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't give my wool pants up for hunting in cold weather. When combined with a merino wool base layer, I'm comfy down to single digits with no issue. Very quite, very warm.

Last edited by Washburn; 12/09/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wear wool quite often. It works - simple as that.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12
You know. Like the old LLBean, and woolrich type jackets and such

Of course!

Who doesn't? grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it still the warmest

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear wool pullovers from Asbel..vest and full sleeves with hood.. that I put full length zippers in with my $26.00 Little Miss Sew & Sew sewing machine from Walmart. Also wear mid and expedition weight minus 33, Cabela's Polatec vest, their wind shear Berbers Fleece pants, their Wooltimate windshear Jacket along with other stuff and still freeze. That's why I'm typing instead of walking to a stand right now..blood thinners.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Always. Ulfrotte wool base layer, smartwool socks, King of Mtn pants and pullover, rag wool gloves, and wool fannypack. When it really gets cold I use my LLBean redplaid hunting jacket with windblock layer, pendelton shirt, and army surplus insulating liner, and LLBEAN Chopper mittens. Of course my Kromer always is worn.
IMO, the best thing about the LLBean Hunting Coats is the placement of the handwarmer pockets: one pair chest high and one pair at the waist. Those plus a Safari Sling makes my hunting pretty comfortable.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use it quite a bit. It is the warmest clothing for me and i do not mind the wieght. Only because I am hiking three miles into the back 40 to hunt. My treks are a half mile at the most. I like the surplus military stuff as well as the cabelas lines of clothes. Very warm and comfy when it gets chilly while up a tree.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
WPAHunter50 and I just spent two days up in Kane, Pa.

Wore LL Bean pants, Woolrich coat and Schnee Hunter II felt packs. Temps were not crazy cold for that area for this time of year and hit the mid 20s both days, but the wind was coming in pretty good at times. Moved around for the most part both days so not a lot of sitting. Pretty comfortable for the most part.

The Schnee Hunter II pac boots were pretty impressive.

Didn't wear a shirt, but did cheat some and had a puff jacket between the underwear and wool.

I forgot how quiet wool is when moving thru the brush. There is a difference compared to most of todays synthetics. Unfortunately the snow was frozen on top and there was no way to be as quiet as you would like and move around.

Addition: WPAhunter50 let me use his Montana sling. Quality piece of gear also.

Last edited by battue; 12/10/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 117LBS, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,387
Posts18,527,678
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.