Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am looking at accurizing a model 7 stainless action. I am wanting to build a 260 for 1000yd shooting. I have been doing a lot of reading, does anyone here have some input or things to do that will help me out. What barrel length? What brand barrel? What scope do you like for this kind of setup. Also, will a 22inch barrel be more accurate than a 26 or 28. And is 4-6inches really worth it? This is my first long range build, my friend is a smith and he is also building one he has more experience than I do but I want real opinions from guys that have the guns. I am planning on using a McSwirly A5 for a stock. So any help or information will be great. HAPPY HUNTING

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would do 24-26 to keep speeds high w/heavies and blast down given range work. Accuracy? Likely same/same in a heavier contour you will be using, stiff either way. I'd be leaning on a 700 if you want to use a factory Rem action, if not a Tikka T3. Stock options a plenty in 700, not so much in 7.

Scope subjective, but you want quality glass, high zoom of course. High end Leupold and Nightforce would be good to go.

Many quality barrels, Bartlein, Krieger, Lilja, on and on. A good smith is as/more important. 8 twist would be preferred, no slower than 8.5 ROT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd sell/trade the Model Seven and build on a 700��.they aren't making stainless sevens any longer, seems like a shame to take such a sought after compact rifle and completely change it��I had the same option��I kept the Seven as is and built on a stainless 700��.

Cancer Sucks
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info, we both have donor model 7 actions already so we are going to use those. I have a couple customs on 700s but don't have any donors right now. What bullet would you recommend looking at the sierra matchking for now, might try the amax from hornady but I really haven't had much luck with hornady. Thanks and HAPPY HUNTING

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're going to use it as a repeater, the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed to facilitate the use of longer/heavier bullets without running into any COAL issue with the magazine.

While I don't shoot at 1,000 yards, I have a Savage 11 in 260 with a heavy 26" Shilen barrel that regularly shoots MOA or better at 600 yards. If that bullet is seated to the bottom of the case neck, the resulting cartridge is too long to feed from the magazine. I think that using the 6.5 Creedmoor would eliminate that problem, but I haven't played with the 6.5 Creedmoor, so I can say from experience.

Jeff

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
123 SMK and Scenar
130/140 Berger
142 SMK
139 Scenar

Creedmoor and 140 Amax factory loads are making many happy...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'm using a M7 action for a 6.5X47 Lapua build. I'll report back when I test it out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Use a 700.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd be more than a touch dubious,of ANY "Smith" who suggested a Seven for the application,as there's no redeeming "advantages" inherent and it is indeed a series of concession(s). Sounds like your "Smith's" "experience" revolves around SuperSoakers. Run Forrest...run.Hint.

700 is the way to go,as one can largely do as he pleases in regards to throat/COAL latitude harmony and repeat...that either massaged nether regions or DBM. I'd personally go DBM,but that is a subjective determination as there may be some who think more highly of a Wyatt box,than I. Obviously,700 bottom options more than abound. Hint.

I prefer shorter tubes,due their versatility in applications separate from playing Range Queen. Nailing good balance and better handling,is a breeze with modest spout length and an impossibility with extended tubes. I'll trade a coupla clicks of erector dope at 1K,for them attributes and HAPPILY. Hint.

Never heard of an A5.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
would trust my smith with my life. he has been building rifles for many many years and has shot competition for years. We have model 7s laying around and we don't have any 700s. Yes we would rather use a 700 but going to try a 7 and see what we can come up with. As for the A5 it is a Mcmillan stock on their website. HAPPY HUNTING

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Interesting approach,in that he's an incredibly slow learner and that you are even dumber than he...so you've aligned your Stupidity to make certain it's going to be a Goat [bleep]. Congratulations?!?

I have heard of Macmillen stocks,but never seen one. Are they not the plastic ones? I have no use for plastic stocks where I am,because they are no good in the wet or cold.

Why do you ask questions and refuse the facts? Are you blonde?

Get a walnut stock...and talk to a 'Smith with at least a FIRST clue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love how some people want "real" opinions, but don't like it when it isn't what they want to hear.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have contacted the Moderator,in regards to her teasing me about stocks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
just go with a one in 8 twist....9's can be borderline with some of the longer heavier bullets...

I have found that what was told to me by the Sierra Techs is pretty much true.... their match bullets are the most accurate in the 2800 to 2950 fps MV range....

can't tell ya about Scenars as I haven't shot those...

you want a professional opinion on 6.5s... the man to ask is ScenarShooter...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I am not doubting that previous advice is not sound advice. We all know a 700 would be a better choice as far as options available. No one is doubting that. If that's the case then why not buy a custom action. He has a model 7 action laying around to use, an that is what he and his smith want to use. He also never asked you about actions. No reason he shouldn't or can't use the action as long as he realizes that his options on stocks are limited, as well as configuration. If he doesn't plan on using a DBM no big deal. No accuracy or function difference between the two. Not sure how his smith's integrity is based upon wanting to build a gun out of a spare action already on hand.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pretty easy to purchase or make a "For Sale" sign and move the concession(s),in order to reap inherent advantages. I've never seen a Model Seven and am unaware if stocks are available for it,after market...especially one of them Macmillen's he seems to get excited about.

I stand "corrected" in regards to the DBM's use on the S/A 700,as I was under the impression they allowed a nice increase in COAL latitude,which is an issue separate of feed/function. Perhaps the OEM confines are longer and I was mistaken?! Aren't LR bullets of increased length,or do they just weigh more? My bad,as I'm new at this stuff and trying to learn too.

As an aside,are you her blonde haired "Gunsmith"? Your keen insight is appreciated,as you are very obviously steeped in these matters.

Might you have some pictures of the wares you get to partake? Perhaps you'd feel inclined to muse some of their particulars?

Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've never heard of anyone building around a 7 that wanted to do it a second time. Maybe I need to get out more.

1flier

Black Olives Matter!!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The model 7 is based on the 600 action. It saves a few ounces, which would help in a light weight build, but I believe it is only a 2 or 3 ounce difference( not positive on this). No advantage to a long range rifle and you are right boxer it is really a series of concessions as far as accessories and aftermarket options. Mcm inlets many stocks for the model 7 as does manners and others I believe. I have one in 243 that has been very accurate for a factory pencil barreled gun with a tuperwear stock. Slg888 has seen it shoot. It doesn't compare to one of his gradous rifles. The 7 and 700 have same box length at around 2.85 I believe. I' am not a smith, and I am rather new to the custom gun arena. I have been reading your posts on this forum because you guys are knowledgable. Not looking for a argument or to start a flaming on this. I just see that for his application the seven action could work and he has one already. His smith may just want to so something different for a change. Other than the obvious aftermarket availability of parts what advantage does a 700 have over a 7 action?(serious question)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seven could work.

700 will work, with aics dbm.

Its not like he's handcuffed to the seven. I know I could flip it and have a 700 action in less than a week.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just because someone chooses to use something other then a "PREFERRED ACTION" does not make them a slow learner or stupid.
If he choices a rout less traveled that is his business,he asked about barrel length and such.......

If it were my gun , use as long a barrel as possible,28-30" with a 1-8" twist and throat it long for high b.c. 123-142 class bullets. And forget trying to get them to fit in the magazine. I have had good success with 130 gr. bergers in my 30" Kreiger barreled L.A. 700. And Reloder 17 pushes them WAY faster then I anticipated......

That being said, if I had a Seven on hand I would build it into a light carry gun ......... smile

Last edited by wyoming260; 12/12/13.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 264magnum, 51 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,066
Posts18,521,520
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.