Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm enjoying these stupid [bleep] who shoot the least,tryin' to talk 'em purty.(grin)

Besides the COAL concessions and bottom "metal" concessions...you'da' thunk someone woulda mentioned the best favor you can do any scope and that is max latitude in ring spacing...which is yet another area in which the Seven is mechanically slighted.

Do you think someone will be [bleep] stupid enough,to try and "brag" up a Kahles 2-7 or a Leupie 2-7. Mebbe I'll get lucky and they'll be dumb enough to try and talk boolits,comeups and POA/POI intersection downrange,as a means of quantifying the melding of twist,case length,boolit length,COAL and throat geometry. Nawwww...I'd bet they'll stay shut right the [bleep] up.(grin) Pictures would be funnier than [bleep]!

The reaffirmation(s) is really workin' well.

Laffin'!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wildone
what are the ss 7's pulling in theses days?

So no one ever responded to this fellows question. Regardless of your opinion of a 7 for a build what is a stainless in good shape worth today since they are no longer made?

twofish

*Master of random precision*
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Adamjp
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
You realize the aftermarket mag box designs long enough to allow a 260 to work properly with VLD bullets won't fit a Remington Model Seven?

Yep sure do.

Didn't talk about the aftermarket ones though did I?

You should be..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Built a M7 - once. Worked well. Used factory deluxe stock. Pillar n glass bedded.
Would I repeat? Not likely at all. Far more latitude in 700s... ie user friendly parts etc.

Re: weight. Scope choice. Barrel contour. Stock choice (hmmmm less options) all make +\- a few ounces diff

Value? Whatever a buyer will pay = selling price.
Resale in a build? Likely less liquid n less $$$ on a 7.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You realize the aftermarket mag box designs long enough to allow a 260 to work properly with VLD bullets won't fit a Remington Model Seven?

Yep sure do.

JFC. Good luck getting a Model Seven to be "no more or less successful than a 700" when it won't feed proper 260 ammo. Building it as a single shot means a specialized, useless rifle for any form of practical use.

Other problems include a pissant rear action screw that will need opened up. Many Model Sevens only have 3 scope mount screws, which will need remedied. Like Stick mentioned, the scope mounting latitude is severely limited as well.

If you're building a lw rifle, maybe these problems won't seem like a big deal. But for a heavier, long range type build, which is the entire point of this thread......these are details which make a Model Seven a poor choice indeed.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by twofish

So no one ever responded to this fellows question. Regardless of your opinion of a 7 for a build what is a stainless in good shape worth today since they are no longer made?

twofish

$550-650 depending on chambering and how fast you want to sell. 223s and 260s seem to bring a little more.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Boxer is right no doubt as well as loco. The gun will have limitations for the intended use, some may be severe limitations if not a single shot rifle. My point was he seemed to be aware of this and would rather not have the ill mannered comments. constructive criticism would be received much better than name calling. . As for the op you should call Cameron at Murphy precision to have rail built for the action. He built one for me recently. Great turn around and fit/ finish is superb. Sometimes it's not what you say but rather how it is said.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nimrod1949
Originally Posted by twofish

twofish

$550-650 depending on chambering and how fast you want to sell. 223s and 260s seem to bring a little more.

Thanks, I have one and was jsut curious.

*Master of random precision*
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Boxer
I'm enjoying these stupid [bleep] who shoot the least,tryin' to talk 'em purty.(grin)

Besides the COAL concessions and bottom "metal" concessions...you'da' thunk someone woulda mentioned the best favor you can do any scope and that is max latitude in ring spacing...which is yet another area in which the Seven is mechanically slighted.

Do you think someone will be [bleep] stupid enough,to try and "brag" up a Kahles 2-7 or a Leupie 2-7. Mebbe I'll get lucky and they'll be dumb enough to try and talk boolits,comeups and POA/POI intersection downrange,as a means of quantifying the melding of twist,case length,boolit length,COAL and throat geometry. Nawwww...I'd bet they'll stay shut right the [bleep] up.(grin) Pictures would be funnier than [bleep]!

The reaffirmation(s) is really workin' well.

Laffin'!

Boxer. You are an arrogant ass.

Take a look here where I documented my Model 7 Ultralight Build

Since then I've upsized to the Low Talleys from the XLows and the Kahles has gone on. It added a couple of ounces, but the image is far better than anything else in it's size. The scope mounting length of the Model 7 is not particularly shorter than the Rem700 SA. Think about it for half a second and the gracious thing to do is apologise. But you won't, because you are arrogant.

Since being finished my rifle has accounted for two deer, and easily a dozen pigs. I only use it when I'm going up the steep hills, I prefer my heavier but handier Ruger No.1 for general walking about hunting.

The 260 I'm finishing off will be used on the local deer and the wild pigs. Might even get a go on some larger critters with the 155gn Lapua Mega. You can see the layout of the Model 7 260 in the attached picture.

I wouldn't use a Model 7 for a heavyweight rig, and if you are intent on throwing the VLD type bullets it would also not be my choice. I would probably go with a Rem700 clone, or a Howa action.

Don't talk the Model 7 down because they don't make a good basis for your pretend sniper rifle, most of us have grown up, passed that stage, and hunt with rifles that we kill with at normal hunting ranges. For walkabout hunting in the hills (not sitting in a treestand waiting for something to come by) only a fool carries more weight than they need to. The Model 7 does make a good basis for your normal hunting rifle, you know those ranges between 50 and 300 where most shots are taken on normal game.

Attached Images
Barrelled Action SM.jpg (72.46 KB, 114 downloads)
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep.... I can see Larry now.... in a treestand.... with a pretend sniper rifle.... trying to finally kill that deer....

How'd it go again 'stick?.... "Get Some" from the middle of a golf course....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A

Yep sure do.

JFC. Good luck getting a Model Seven to be "no more or less successful than a 700" when it won't feed proper 260 ammo. Building it as a single shot means a specialized, useless rifle for any form of practical use.

Other problems include a pissant rear action screw that will need opened up. Many Model Sevens only have 3 scope mount screws, which will need remedied. Like Stick mentioned, the scope mounting latitude is severely limited as well.

If you're building a lw rifle, maybe these problems won't seem like a big deal. But for a heavier, long range type build, which is the entire point of this thread......these are details which make a Model Seven a poor choice indeed.

I agree with you that a Model 7 is not the best choice for a VLD throwing long range build - but play the ball, not the player. The idea is not good, but there is nothing wrong with the rifle for it's intended purpose.

FWIW "Proper 260 ammunition" will fit in the magazine box. It is manufactured to the SAAMI specification and the Remington magazine box allows plenty of length for that.

Optimised 260 ammunition (like VLD handloads) won't. Same can be said about ANY of the 308 based cartridges. If you want to throw a VLD, you need more magazine length to get the velocity you want (or use a different case).

The rear action screw works fine, as long as you realise that you don't torque it down like the thicker screws (any fool should realise that).
The single rear scope base hole also works fine, in fact the two holes of the Model 700 offer no advantage if you are going to use a single piece scope base like a Picatinney rail or DNZ.

Last edited by Adamjp; 12/14/13.
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is one thing to use a M7 as it came from the factory or for cartridges whose bullet selection doesn't challenge the COAL constraints.
But the OP wants to build a a 1000 yard, A5 stocked, 260 Rem. rig.
Putting all that money onto smith work, custom tube,stock, and likely trigger into a M7 with the issues out lined here not good sense.
He would be money ahead dumping the rifle for $400- and putting it towards a $700- SS donor 700.
Of course there are better ways than that even.
But starting with as M7 with the goal out lined is akin to hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. His smith should know that.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'jp,

You poor,poor clueless kchunt. Your dumbfhucktitude is beyond impressive,just who in the [bleep] dresses you in the morning and chews your food for you?!?

I'm simply afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess and kudos on the amount of Stupidity it takes you to think you've a [bleep] clue,about anything. THAT is [bleep] funny! You "hard chargers" in The Paper Hat Brigade,crack me the [bleep] up.

Here's a gem,from minutes ago! You'll wanna hit "reply" as it's a [bleep] peach,from yet another consummate Do Nothing Kchunt.

[Linked Image]

Looking forward to your next Whine and yet another Tutorial on your incredible Dumbfhucktitude.

Wow +P+!

'shooter,

Slow day today...on the Golf Course.(grin) Just where do these clueless dumbfhucks come from?!? Wow!

Made a purty good shot outta the Tree Stand too,given the compound angles and lead requisite. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

Had time to take a coupla wannabe "Sniper Rifles"to the Car Wash too,after stretchin' em out to 1200+,in less than favorable conditions.(grin)

Everyone knows it's all about Bull Barrels!

[Linked Image]

Fair to middlin' day.

FVA,

Save your breath,the poor dumb kchunt ain't got enough sense,to make any sense. Though it is a right proper Dichotomy.

Hell...I'd go so far as to say I've even shot a Model Seven.

Once.(grin)

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Boxer, I think you just reinforced my first point more than any of your own.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
"Thinking" is not your longsuit,you incredibly dumb [bleep].

You'd do well to shut the [bleep] up,take notes and apply same.

Hint.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Appears to be a pair of SS 3-9's in the wash.... must say, it's my favorite glass lately. Just got this one last week, it hasn't needed washed yet....

[Linked Image]

Interestingly enough, the above stick is a 700 in .260.... running 123 Skinnies at 2950, loaded to sucks mag length.... feeds fine, kills schitt dead as [bleep], and is dead nutz regardless of conditions. Had the pipe... and an M7 available.... still tripped it and built on a 700. But hey, that's too easy an answer for this topic....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They's actually 6x SS Fixed [bleep] in R&D Mode,which I received yesterday. The 10x's are back ordered and with luck,I'll have a trio of them soon...if only as extrapolation to the 6x's. Fixed glass,has long made me warmest and fuzziest.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I never can remember for certain,but I've mighta done did XP's,600's,7's and 700's in a couple/few blueprints,but all this stuff is confusin'.(grin)

One of these days I may even try me one of them there MacMullen's and see what the fuss is about.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Dig the 10s and 12s.... can't love the 6s.... but that's me.

Funny.... all I hear from the shoot-littles is crickets all of a sudden.... par for the course I recon...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll always take a 6x for Utility,can drive a 10x in some niche applications,have 12x's and 16x's too(all Leupie). Pass the 6x.(grin)

It is a curious constant,that those who Whine the most...do the least and I get a [bleep] kick outta their extolling those very facts,obliviously. FUNNY schit! The poor OP is a [bleep] idiot,his "Gunsmith" is a [bleep] idiot,then more idiots are jumping at the chance to chime in to reiterate how very [bleep] stupid the notion is. Hilarious!

'Nother slow day here,draggin' huge "Sniper Rifles" around in the sunshine,screaming "Get some!" across the Golf Course.(grin)

[Linked Image]

It's ALL about the contour.

Laffin'!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What is the IceTucky? I'm assuming a 223 by the fit of the rear Talley's on the receiver.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.