Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I think some people add to what Jesus said to fit their belief, when really you should just take what he said as just that.

John 8:11

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Here Jesus said, Go and sin no more. should we take this as command and if you don't you are going to hell... or did Jesus hope to improve her spiritual well being, knowing good and well she(us) won't be able to strictly follow. But also knowing in whatever attempt, less sin will mean a better spiritual life while here on earth.

Folks put a lot of 'or elses' in what Jesus never said.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 12/22/13.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by seal_billy
If you have faith you will also have works. They go hand and hand.

That is true, but those without faith or a different faith also do good works

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is what Jesus says about baptism and being saved.

Matthew 28:19

"'Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,'"

Mark 16:15-16

"And He said to them, 'Go into all the world and preach the Gospel to all creation. He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.'"

We don't have to concern ourselves with what happens if someone does not believe. Jesus got it handled in the first sentence of the Mark quote and the Whole quote from Matthew.

Why do you people want to argue with Jesus? You accept the words of others over the Words of the One Who saves.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Define baptize... we're talking about the physical act of water submersion by a clergy.

I never argue with Christ.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.'"

Interesting that he specifically says baptized with belief and purposely left it out in condemnation. For me that confirms baptism (submersion) of the Holy spirit, which goes hand in hand with belief and is absent in unbelief.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define baptize... we're talking about the physical act of water submersion by a clergy.

You got part of it correct. The submersion part. Acts 8 gives an example of a non-clergy baptizing someone in water.

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My wife was baptized catholic as a baby, then when she joined my Christian church she had to be rebaptized... 'the right way'... on threat of losing her soul.

My daughter was baptized in our Christian church, then rebaptized in the catholic church to marry her husband... 'the right way'... after a year of classes...

All this dunking in water when they already were saved in their belief of Christ.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Ringman

You got part of it correct. The submersion part. Acts 8 gives an example of a non-clergy baptizing someone in water.

Did this person baptize... in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,'"

They either had God's authority or they didn't.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
What if you were unwittingly baptized by a charlatan... holy crap...

Anyway, a Joyous Christmas to all, may Christ bring all peace in whatever stage of belief or non belief we brothers find ourselves in. He has a plan for us all and knows each and everyone.

God bless, I'm going hunting in the morning.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God looks on the heart of the baptized, not the baptizer. I know a woman who had zero respect for her pastor but didn't know what to do about it. She had some kind of disease and wanted to follow God's Word in James. She went to them and asked to be anointed with oil in the Name of Lord. She was healed.

Did this person baptize... in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,'"

They either had God's authority or they didn't.

Kent

Is this authority enough?

Acts 8:26-40

�But an angel of the Lord spoke to Philip saying, �Get up and go south to the road that descends from Jerusalem to Gaza.� (This is a desert road.) So he got up and went; and there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure; and he had come to Jerusalem to worship, and he was returning and sitting in his chariot, and was reading the prophet Isaiah.

Then the Spirit said to Philip, �Go up and join this chariot.� Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said,
�Do you understand what you are reading?� And he said,
�Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?� And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this:

�HE WAS LED AS A SHEEP TO SLAUGHTER;
AND AS A LAMB BEFORE ITS SHEARER IS SILENT,
SO HE DOES NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH.
�IN HUMILIATION HIS JUDGMENT WAS TAKEN AWAY;
WHO WILL RELATE HIS GENERATION?
FOR HIS LIFE IS REMOVED FROM THE EARTH.�

The eunuch answered Philip and said,
�Please tell me, of whom does the prophet say this? Of himself or of someone else?� Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him. As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said,
�Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?� And Philip said,
�If you believe with all your heart, you may.� And he answered and said,
�I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.� And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him.

When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away; and the eunuch no longer saw him, but went on his way rejoicing. But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he kept preaching the Gospel to all the cities until he came to Caesarea.�

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree....Without Jesus in my life I am nothing...Thanks for posting this.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Come quickly Lord Jesus!

King of Kings and Lord of Lords!!!

Life without Christ isn't life at all.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
My wife was baptized catholic as a baby, then when she joined my Christian church she had to be rebaptized... 'the right way'... on threat of losing her soul.

My daughter was baptized in our Christian church, then rebaptized in the catholic church to marry her husband... 'the right way'... after a year of classes...

All this dunking in water when they already were saved in their belief of Christ.

Kent

Knowing that imperfect men assembled the writings we call the bible, I confess to a certain amount of skepticism when I read passages that seem to imply a need for a third party in a man's dealings with his Creator.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Ro 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

No baptism here.
This must be interpreted as part of the whole gospel message. Included in that whole gospel message is the necessity of baptism. Therefore the verse you cite means that if you confess with your mouth, and believe, that Jesus is Lord, you will receive baptism and be saved.

You can't interpret one passage in such a way as to negate other passages.

Also implied is that you will turn from sin, i.e., you are not free to interpret your citation so as to mean that one may confess with his mouth, and believe, that Jesus is Lord, even while having no intention of turning from sin, and still be saved. This is because we know that other passages tell us that even the Devil believes, as do the Devil's human children, that Jesus is Lord. They even confess it with their mouths, e.g., "What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of the most high God? I adjure thee by God, that thou torment me not." - Mark 5:7

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good post sir..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by krp
I think some people add to what Jesus said to fit their belief, when really you should just take what he said as just that.

John 8:11

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Here Jesus said, Go and sin no more. should we take this as command and if you don't you are going to hell... or did Jesus hope to improve her spiritual well being, knowing good and well she(us) won't be able to strictly follow. But also knowing in whatever attempt, less sin will mean a better spiritual life while here on earth.

Folks put a lot of 'or elses' in what Jesus never said.

Kent
The humble heart of a redeemed and sanctified Christian is always ready to turn back to God and ask forgiveness for sin, which forgiveness will be forthcoming. Any who think they don't need to do so are not truly redeemed and sanctified Christians in the first place. Had the prostitute sinned again, she would have received forgiveness when asked, and by that means have her sanctification and imputed innocence restored to her. If she sinned again without turning back to God, it would not have been restored to her, and she would have died in her sinful state, absent imputation of innocence through Jesus.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very good! And so true

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, the Gospel Message I got was that Jesus wanted ME to KNOW Him......................... not for us to know ABOUT Him.

It appears as if some got a different message........ and that's fine by me.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by krp

I never argue with Christ.

Kent
It doesn't have to be by clergy. If you, a non-clergyman, come across a car accident, and a dying man asks you for baptism, your baptizing him is just as effective as anyone else's, because it's not actually you who provide the effective element in baptism, but rather Jesus.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by krp

Anyway, a Joyous Christmas to all, may Christ bring all peace in whatever stage of belief or non belief we brothers find ourselves in. He has a plan for us all and knows each and everyone.

God bless, I'm going hunting in the morning.

Kent
Same to you. Baptisms performed by non-believers (even charlatans) are perfectly effective, so long as the form is correct, because the performers of baptism don't provide the effective element anyway. Jesus does. In that case, only the faith of the baptized person matters.

Page 4 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.