Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv
To be baptized or "immersed". Think of a cucumber being immersed and forever changed into a pickle. It can never be just a cucumber again. The same way with being baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We are forever changed on the inside, and can never again be just a man. Once Jesus comes into our hearts and lives in us and through us, we are man as he created us to be(in a personal, loving relationship with HIM). YMMV. Take Care. GOD Bless.

Tim I appreciate your answer, but I really did get a good chuckle out of you pickling analogy! I know what you meant, but if I ever am present at a baptism I'm going to have to try hard not to think of it as someone getting pickled, or I might cause a scene!

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Ringman
Quote:
Ro 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Apparently Paul lied. I wonder how many have gone to hell because they believed this passage.

If it comes down to Apostle Paul or Jesus, I will go with What Jesus says.

That's a big "if" since God's word doesn't contradict itself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God's word doesn't contradict itself.

Exactly! It is to be taken in Its entirety. We are not allowed to pick and choose to leave out Scripture. One needs to use all there is on a subject to build a proper belief just as one needs to use all the bricks to build a building.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So if someone is in the ER and chooses to turn his life over to the Lord, repents, and takes Jesus as his personal Savior but is not removed from the ER and fully immersed in the water before he dies then he is damned to suffer in Hell for eternity? How about someone who dies of a heart attack on the way to the Baptismal?

There goes mercy and grace right out the door.

No wonder searchers like some here run from Christians.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

^^^^^
Yep.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You read books.

You write books.

If we were discussing a man long dead, then books about him would be the only resource available to us.

But we Christians have a personal relationship with the Risen Jesus.

Now, I have a personal relationship with Ken Howell. It would be ridiculous for me to send PM's to other forum members asking what Ken's position is on a topic. Some might refer me to some of his writings, or report what he told them at some point.

But.... I have Ken's phone number in my cell phone and his email address in my contacts list.

Why wouldn't I just ask Ken about his position.

You see, Neighbor, I was baptized into a Baptist Church when I was 12 YO, so the whole question about it was settled long ago in my case.

I'm not a one note Johnny putting down Baptism as being unnecessary for a Christian.I just reject the notion that Jesus requires ANYTHING from a supplicant other than surrender to Him or any act requiring third party involvement.

As far as me "bragging about being a drunk", I'll just put that in the category of a cheap shot.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Let him without sin...

BTW, I was baptized unto Christ and not a church. wink

Merry Christmas Sir. I really do hope to live long enough to shake your hand and enjoy time around a real fire someday. We think a LOT alike.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I just reject the notion that Jesus requires ANYTHING from a supplicant other than surrender to Him or any act requiring third party involvement..

Well said...!

Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but some 'Christians' distance people from Him instead of drawing people to Him...some have perverted His teachings with ideology.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I was baptize by Jesus with the Holy Spirit long before I was immersed in water at age 12.

If someone feels that they were baptized during the water immersion, all power to them... if they claim all others cannot attain salvation without 'their' belief... they're mistaken.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So if someone is in the ER and chooses to turn his life over to the Lord, repents, and takes Jesus as his personal Savior but is not removed from the ER and fully immersed in the water before he dies then he is damned to suffer in Hell for eternity? How about someone who dies of a heart attack on the way to the Baptismal?

Maybe you could tell us what Jesus meant at the end of Matthew and Mark. I bet I'm not the only one waiting to read about it. Maybe even some of the "searchers".

Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was baptized into THAT particular Baptist congregation. After that, I could apply for membership in a different Baptist congregation without the need for another baptism.

Each Baptist congregation is independent and autonomous, but no Baptist congregation considers baptism as being necessary for salvation.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus is ideal and wonderful, but some 'Christians' distance people from Him instead of drawing people to Him...some have perverted His teachings with ideology.

From where did those who believe in water baptism get their "ideology"?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

Now, I have a personal relationship with Ken Howell. It would be ridiculous for me to send PM's to other forum members asking what Ken's position is on a topic. Some might refer me to some of his writings, or report what he told them at some point.

But.... I have Ken's phone number in my cell phone and his email address in my contacts list.

Why wouldn't I just ask Ken about his position.

I have talked with Ken a few times on the phone and shared emails and private messages with him. Nevertheless I don't understand your point here. Is it because I suggested to someone here to read his essay? I think his essay Who Will Enter The Kingdom Of God should be read by every Christian and while we're at it every non-Christian.

As far as me "bragging about being a drunk", I'll just put that in the category of a cheap shot.

That in no was was meant as a put down. Jesus reaches out to everyone, even those who didn't live an exciting life prior to their conversion. One guy I was instrumental in bringing to the Lord was on the board of his church. He was an upstanding man in the community. But he needed Jesus just as much as anyone else. All I did was share God's love and God's Word with him. He told me,
"I thought I was a Christian till I met you."

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp
I was baptize by Jesus with the Holy Spirit long before I was immersed in water at age 12.

If someone feels that they were baptized during the water immersion, all power to them... if they claim all others cannot attain salvation without 'their' belief... they're mistaken.

Kent

I feel that way sometimes too. 'Cept I never got wet like you. There are times I think back to when I was a kid. My mom and dad used to fight a lot. I can always remember thinking of the Lord while they were yellin. This was before mom and dad started sending me and my sister to summer bible school in the evenings. How did I know of Him? My parents werent what you would consider religious. My dad is Catholic, but never went to church. Mom wasnt baptized that I know of. They never had a bible around me that I know of. I mean they must have mentioned Jesus at some point, like I said they sent us to bible school. But the never taught us about Him. I remember one time in kindergarten, alone, by this stack of books. I picked one which happened to be the bible. I didnt know what I was reading or what it meant. Out of all the books there, why did I pick that one? Im not saying I was baptized by the Lord with the Holy Spirit in the sense you are. I guess I mean it feels like He's been with me forever, before anyone mentioned Him. I dont know, hard to explain.

Thanks for keeping things going here guys, really interesting for sure!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One guy I was instrumental in bringing to the Lord was on the board of his church. He was an upstanding man in the community. But he needed Jesus just as much as anyone else. All I did was share God's love and God's Word with him. He told me, "I thought I was a Christian till I met you."

Pardon me, but does anybody have some Zofran...?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I was baptized into THAT particular Baptist congregation. After that, I could apply for membership in a different Baptist congregation without the need for another baptism.

Each Baptist congregation is independent and autonomous, but no Baptist congregation considers baptism as being necessary for salvation.

I knew exactly what you meant, I was just jerking your chin for the fun of it. grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Maybe you could tell us what Jesus meant at the end of Matthew and Mark. I bet I'm not the only one waiting to read about it. Maybe even some of the "searchers".

So it is fully immersed or Hell, no way a round it? We might as well be under the Law.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by pahick
Im not saying I was baptized by the Lord with the Holy Spirit in the sense you are. I guess I mean it feels like He's been with me forever, before anyone mentioned Him. I dont know, hard to explain.

I understand completely, I can't remember a time when I didn't know at some level.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He declared that everyone that calls upon His name shall be saved. That pretty much describes devine, authentic, agape love. It doesn't depend on rituals and traditions, piety, or good deeds.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
. . .

Paul dogmatically says that justification is by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9) . . .

Just for the record, Paul does not say in Ephesians or anywhere else in scripture the "faith alone" or "faith only" saves.

Ephesians 2:8-9
New King James Version (NKJV)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, 13 invisible), 975 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.