J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Amen.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obedience, not diligent scholarship, is the key to beginning to understand God.

Man says "If I agree with Him when I finally figure Him out, I MAY go along with Him."

The child (of whatever age) begins to understand Him AFTER he starts obeying Him.

A scanning transmission electron microscope (STEM) can reveal a lot of the tiniest, most remote secrets of lasagna � except how it tastes.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Man says "If I agree with Him when I finally figure Him out, I MAY go along with Him."

The child (of whatever age) begins to understand Him AFTER he starts obeying Him.

A scanning transmission electron microscope (STEM) can reveal a lot of the tiniest, most remote secrets of lasagna � except how it tastes.

Very true, but to be obedient you have to know what to obey.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TnBigBore

And you won't find it in your belly button.

Or in random perusals of a few individual verses.

"Do this" and "don't do that" aren't hard to find.

Haven't ever heard anybody claim that he didn't know and couldn't find-out what to obey.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I hope you realize you are battling the most powerful force in the universe........... the human ego.

God placed it outside the boundaries of even His power.

The COC's insistence on baptism is just the camel's nose under the tent. If they could succeed in convincing us of that, they have an endless supply of other "requirements".

There is no satisfying the human ego.

The COC as you label it, places no "requirements" on any person. It is not even an organized denomination, just a labeling of similar churches who attempt to follow the Scriptures without manmade organizations and traditions. "Requirements" are mandated only by Scripture. Baptism is one of them.

COC = Church of Campbell?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And you won't find it in your belly button.

Or in random perusals of a few individual verses.

"Do this" and "don't do that" aren't hard to find.

Haven't ever heard anybody claim that he didn't know and couldn't find-out what to obey.

Have know plenty that don't seem to know what to obey even when it is clearly written. Paying attention to details does not preclude seeing the bigger picture as well.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good advice.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I won't even bother to bring up foot washing even though Jesus said to do it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You and I approach life differently, it's plain to see. For instance,among ALL the verses you just copied. I find THIS:

"Abide in Me, and I in you."

I see my spiritual life - just like my worldly life - as an endeavor of action. So once I read that clear, concise,instruction from our Lord, the rest of the passage is extraneous.

Jesus didn't leave us with a road map for our journey. We would have to be constantly referring to it, even memorizing it as much as possible. We wouldn't be much help to any of our fellow travelers or enjoy the trip much ourselves with our head buried in a map.

Instead, He gave us our own personal Guide and the pathway is clearly revealed, but only one step at a time, one day at a time.

That's how the "abiding deal" has worked for me.

^^^ I believe this should be our daily walk^^^ I just wish I was better at it.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Scott F

LOL, I LOVE IT. A guy at work was talking about this the other day. All I had to say was, Jesus didn't mean to literally go wash feet he meant go and be a servant but if you want to have a foot washing at church to show humility and a servants heart I believe that touches the Lords heart too so Iits all good.

I got enuff of my own problems without debating scripture, we are our own worst enemy. I just want to keeit simple, love God and love your neighbor.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John 8:11 Jesus says go now and sin no more. If I were a betting man, I would bet that even Ringman has not obeyed those words.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
We are on the same page.

Merry Christmas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real root of the division of thought concerning "faith only salvation" is the insistence by some posters to confine the Creator of the universe to the pages of a book.

The Creator said He would write His law on our hearts.

I reject the notion that He gave some of you instructions for the rest of us.

You believe faith alone will save the sinner? Then take comfort in your fulfillment of the requirement without trying to create doubt in the minds of new converts who may be reading what you post.

I recall something one of the N T writers said about a millstone.................. .

The sword cuts both ways.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scott F

I have somewhat to say about "foot washing," but I'll save it for a separate thread. wink

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ken you seem to be trying to please both sides of the fence. The Bereans don't fit your idea of obedience?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R_H_Clark,

http://www.letusreason.org/Biblexp67.htm
It is very clear if your mind isn't closed by tradition that Jesus was speaking of the natural birth.

My brother and I were discussing this very topic. I agreed with what you are esposing. He told me I was wrong. Since I have a friend who can read the Hebrew and the Greek and the only "B" he got in his college career was in logic I called him. Of course I was expecting him to support my claim agreeing with your post. I was wrong. He said there is a different word in the Greek for water of birth.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, it looks like we're pretty well split down the middle as to whether or not baptism is required for entry to heaven. Interesting, I didn't think it would be quite that even. Thanks guys.

It doesn't matter what we say. It matters what Jesus says.

Mark 16:16
"'He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.'"

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
curdog4570,

He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

From where did you learn that? O! I remember. It's in the Bible. Do you pick and choose what you want to believe?

Everyday Hunter
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Define 'baptize' in the context Jesus was referring.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
seal_billy,

Originally Posted By: Scott F

LOL, I LOVE IT. A guy at work was talking about this the other day. All I had to say was, Jesus didn't mean to literally go wash feet he meant go and be a servant but if you want to have a foot washing at church to show humility and a servants heart I believe that touches the Lords heart too so Iits all good.

Upon what do you base this assertion?

Apostle Paul, whom so many here seemed to love, told the early church if a woman didn't wash the saints feet she was not allowed "welfare".

Everyday Hunter
Page 10 of 27 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

147 members (achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 13 invisible), 976 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.