Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Here is what I intended to paste.
Quote:
The Creator said He would write His law on our hearts.

Did you learn this from the Book?"

Of course. And I took it to heart because it just exactly "fits" with the Risen Jesus whom I know well.

What don't fit is another person between me and Jesus.

Not for chastising or correcting.

Not for administering a cracker and wine.

Not for baptism.

If another person IS in that place, it would be because I put them there, not because He requires it.

The price He paid for me was much to dear for Him to entrust any part of my salvation to another fallible human.

You wouldn't bail your kid out of jail and ask one of his hoodlum friends to drive him home, would you?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

Near is the great day of the Lord,
Near and coming very quickly;
Listen, the day of the Lord!
In it the warrior cries out bitterly.
A day of wrath is that day,
A day of trouble and distress,
A day of destruction and desolation,
A day of darkness and gloom,
A day of clouds and thick darkness,
A day of trumpet and battle cry
Against the fortified cities
And the high corner towers.
I will bring distress on men so that they will walk like the blind, because they have sinned against the Lord.

Oh, but won't that be a day to long remember!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
A couple more questions, if I may. IF baptism is indeed required, then what sort of baptism is it? Submersion only? I saw a verse about being sprinkled with the blood of Christ earlier. Is sprinkling adequate? Who should administer the baptism? Does the Bible say, specifically? If a guy thought he needed to be baptised, could he just have someone dunk him in the pond and consider it done? Maybe he could do it himself? I don't recall any specifics given on who should do it, and how.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
It may just be my imagination, but I seem to be hearing a way-up-yonder Somebody saying "Now, don't you boys make Me have to come down there!" smile

I hope he is just laughing at some of these posts. I know I am. If God didn't have a really good sense of humor he wouldn't have made some of us so funny.

Ive been keeping along so far and its interesting but runs in circles. I was sitting here reading and "day dreaming" and I see me as a little kid sitting on the sidewalk, elbows on my knees, staring at two churches across the street. Jesus sits beside me and looks at the churches, then looks at me and says "What ya say we go get a soda instead" grin

"I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters,[c] by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose. 11 For some members of Chloe�s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters. 12 Some of you are saying, �I am a follower of Paul.� Others are saying, �I follow Apollos,� or �I follow Peter,[d]� or �I follow only Christ.�

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I believe that immersion baptism is required for entry into Heaven. Aside from the countless examples of belief, then baptism in the new testament, John 3:5 says it all. This was Jesus himself speaking.

" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God."

I do not know how much more clear a verse can get, said from the Man himself. There are many verses that state that belief saves, but I look at those verses as part of a recipe. You have to put in ALL the ingredients.

James 2 17- Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works is dead. 18 But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith with your works, and I will show you my faith by my works 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--- and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead.

So, not only do I believe that faith and baptism are required, but also continued works. Baptism being one of the works that must be done.

Belief in the new testament is ALWAYS followed by baptism.

Last edited by Torque; 12/24/13.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God has a sense of humor.

Tell that to the thirty-six wives of the men God killed.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Torque, why do you believe immersion is the only way? Is it something written in the Bible or is it just the way it seems to have always been done?

What if total immersion was not achieved? Would even a hand sticking out eliminate someone from the kingdom of heaven? Someone earlier wrote of a terminally ill woman being almost drowned because they couldn't get her under all the way. Is it really an all or nothing deal?

And again, who is qualified to baptize, and who gets to decide?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ringman, I believe that you are correct in your interpretation of the new testament. What you have to remember is that there are many who call themselves Christians who do not want to believe anything else is required of them but belief. How much easier for them can life be? Nothing is required of them. Nothing is expected of them. All they have to do is believe that Jesus is the Son of God. They, of course, disregard that Satan, the other fallen angels, demons and satan worshipers also believe that. I have had so many in depth discussions about this subject with people who completely ignore verses in the New Testament because they do not suit their view of God that I've almost stopped discussing it at all. Almost. I try my hardest to go by the complete new testament, not cherry picked verses. All you can hope is that one day they will read the book of James and see that the view of faith alone is corrupt and that the "once saved, always saved" mantra simply isn't true. More is required of us than that.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
xxclaro,
I believe that because the word used in the original texts means immersion. I do not set requirements, nor do I judge technicalities. To me, that is playing semantics. When I was baptized, my hand was on my fathers arm to hold on to him while I was immersed. Part of my hand did not go under. Do I think it counted? Absolutely.

I have never read of a qualification in the new testament for someone to baptize another. The church of Christ I attend allows anyone who is a Christian to baptize another into Christ.

George Orwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Torque
Ringman, I believe that you are correct in your interpretation of the new testament. What you have to remember is that there are many who call themselves Christians who do not want to believe anything else is required of them but belief. How much easier for them can life be? Nothing is required of them. Nothing is expected of them. All they have to do is believe that Jesus is the Son of God. They, of course, disregard that Satan, the other fallen angels, demons and satan worshipers also believe that. I have had so many in depth discussions about this subject with people who completely ignore verses in the New Testament because they do not suit their view of God that I've almost stopped discussing it at all. Almost. I try my hardest to go by the complete new testament, not cherry picked verses. All you can hope is that one day they will read the book of James and see that the view of faith alone is corrupt and that the "once saved, always saved" mantra simply isn't true. More is required of us than that.

Where does grace fit into this. John 3:16 says it all.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I see, the church I was in when I was younger always had the pastor doing it, so I was wondering how others did it.

A question that I heard argued about a few times was multiple baptisms. Some people said they wanted to be baptised again because they didn't have a proper understanding the first time. I had friends who were Mennonites, and they weren't allowed to get married until they were baptised. So naturally, lots of them did it just to get married. Later some of them wanted to be baptised in a different church that they joined because they felt like the first one didn't mean anything. Others said this was wrong, there is only one baptism.

How do you fell about that? If they were to have died after the first baptism, were they saved? And how does repentance of sins factor into all this? I was always taught that repenting of your sins was the real first step to salvation, and baptism came after. Usually that was done during what I believe people call and "alter call" or something like that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Torque, ill bring up Cornelius as another has. I read up some on him, and seems he was saved while Peter was talking to him. Yet Peter decided to baptize him with water anyhow?

"Even as Peter was saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell upon all who were listening to the message. 45 The Jewish believers[e] who came with Peter were amazed that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles, too. 46 For they heard them speaking in other tongues[f] and praising God.

Then Peter asked, 47 �Can anyone object to their being baptized, now that they have received the Holy Spirit just as we did?� 48 So he gave orders for them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Afterward Cornelius asked him to stay with them for several days."

Seems to me, the baptism wasnt really needed. Not sure what to think there.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter the Kingdom of God."

And I clearly read this as born of water, out of your mother's womb... and the only way to be born of spirit is death of the physical into our spiritual life. Two very logical realities that everyone goes through without exception. And puts alot of other things Jesus say's into place.

Kent

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
If someone can tell me how you enter the kingdom of God without dieing physically first...I want to hear that testimony.

Merry Christmas all, may you be blessed with family and goodwill.

Kent

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
I may be mistaken but I believe there were a couple cases of that happening in the Old Testament? Can't remember names off the top of my head, and I don't remember any instances of it happening in the New Testament.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Scott F-

How can you believe John 3:16 and disregard the verse 11 before that? They both fit together and one does not negate the other.

George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp
If someone can tell me how you enter the kingdom of God without dieing physically first...I want to hear that testimony.

Merry Christmas all, may you be blessed with family and goodwill.

Kent

God bless ya Kent, and Merry Christmas to y'all! Thank you guys for keeping this going. Its just what I been needin. Ok, off to bed. Nite all!

Todd

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pahick, sorry I guess I didn't hit quote.

They were not saved yet. Just as the gifts the apostles had were passed down by those they laid hands on, (gifts of the Holy Spirit) does not mean their household was saved. Hence, why the follow up baptism was commanded. The example was necessary to show the Jews that Jesus had come to save all, not just the Jews. Once the Gentiles were shown to be given the gift of the Holy Spirit, the Jews could not argue against them being baptized into Christ.

George Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro
I see, the church I was in when I was younger always had the pastor doing it, so I was wondering how others did it.

A question that I heard argued about a few times was multiple baptisms. Some people said they wanted to be baptised again because they didn't have a proper understanding the first time. I had friends who were Mennonites, and they weren't allowed to get married until they were baptised. So naturally, lots of them did it just to get married. Later some of them wanted to be baptised in a different church that they joined because they felt like the first one didn't mean anything. Others said this was wrong, there is only one baptism.

How do you fell about that? If they were to have died after the first baptism, were they saved? And how does repentance of sins factor into all this? I was always taught that repenting of your sins was the real first step to salvation, and baptism came after. Usually that was done during what I believe people call and "alter call" or something like that.

Those are all personal judgement calls and I have no authority to answer them. Im not copping out of your question, I just don't know their personal situations.
Hear
Believe
Repent
Baptism
Remain faithful

George Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by krp

And I clearly read this as born of water, out of your mother's womb... and the only way to be born of spirit is death of the physical into our spiritual life. Two very logical realities that everyone goes through without exception. And puts alot of other things Jesus say's into place.

Kent

You do realize you are saying that all still born and aborted babies can't go to heaven right? So, I kinda doubt that's what Jesus was saying.

Aside from that, Jesus was talking about being born again, answering Nicodemus' questing about how a man can be born twice from his mother's womb. It was a discussing directly about baptism, not being born naturally. John 3:5 look it up. Being born of the spirit is not death. It is being born of the Holy Spirit.

George Orwell
Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (achadwick, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 13 invisible), 978 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,921
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.