Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No Knock-No Announce warrant gets Deputy Sheriff killed. The defense attorney for a man charged with the capital murder of a Burleson County Sheriff's Deputy claims the shooting was in self dense.

28-year-old Henry Magee was arrested last week, accused of opening fire on deputies who were executing a search warrant at his mobile home in Burleson County.

News 3 spoke with Defense Attorney Dick DeGuerin about what his client claims happened.

Now we know what they were looking for.

Henry Magee's attorney says the eight Burleson County Sheriff's Deputies were serving a search warrant for drugs without warning and says his client thought he was shooting a robber breaking in.

Questions still linger on how 31-year-old Deputy Sergeant Investigator Adam Sowders was shot.

http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Update-on-the-Sowders-Investigation-237038691.html

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/article_549b0586-cefc-53a2-bd34-80a8f07816b4.html

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
drug warrant the man was probably a sum bag anyway , but what if the deputies had the wrong house an an innocent person shot a deputy thinking it was a robbery ? Now that would be um interesting to say the least

Last edited by ldholton; 12/25/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why would they not announce? Not like you can hide in a mobile home.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Some are prepared to flush drugs at a moments notice.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by eyeball
So what. That should be a clue that it's inappropriate subject matter for making criminal, not that cops need the power to violate folks' constitutional rights.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
So what. That should be a clue that it's inappropriate subject matter for making criminal, not that cops need the power to violate folks' constitutional rights.

The police had a signed warrant for the residence. No violation of the residents constitutional rights. The courts allow no knocks under certain circumstances. I agree that that procedure makes the entry risky for all parties involved, but your position that the mans 4a rights were violated has no standing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that anywhere that there is some type of castle domain law that announcement of some sort is more appropriate , Is a drug charge more important than a LIFE,

NOT

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by norm99
I think that anywhere that there is some type of castle domain law that announcement of some sort is more appropriate , Is a drug charge more important than a LIFE,

NOT

This.

Since when did catching a "suspect" (remember, we're all supposed to be innocent until proven guilty) red-handed trump human life.

If the suspected quantity is small enough to be gotten rid of that easily, is it worth
risking a life in a no-knock raid?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I don't see how they could win, but never am surprised by how crazy some folks are. What stops burglars/robbers from yelling "police, search warrant," when they enter.
If you came into my house and I didn't see lights flashing outside, there would be guns pointed at you and shots fired if I didn't see a badge in that split second.
Never a good time when an officer is killed, but I don't think I could convict on what I've read. There is always more to the story.

Keep Smiling
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wadevb1
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

The police had a signed warrant for the residence. No violation of the residents constitutional rights. The courts allow no knocks under certain circumstances. I agree that that procedure makes the entry risky for all parties involved, but your position that the mans 4a rights were violated has no standing.
All that tells us is that the Supreme Court is complicit in the violation of Constitutional rights, and that they too stand under judgement by the very same Constitution.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldholton
drug warrant the man was probably a sum bag anyway , but what if the deputies had the wrong house an an innocent person shot a deputy thinking it was a robbery ? Now that would be um interesting to say the least
If they were at a house not listed on the warrant, then they didn't have a search warrant. Self defense would be entirely appropriate.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe this Sheriff Dept will announce their presents the next time they serve a search warrant for drugs at a trailer. This war on drugs as gotten more people dead than the drugs themself .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
He may get convicted for drugs, but he shouldn't be convicted for shooting the cop.

No knocks are a bad idea in all but a very few cases.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I guess a few more facts would be helpful. Damn shame people died over a few marijuana plants and seeds? Was there anything else?

Why do such a high risk break down for weed? Grab the guy out in his yard, at work, driving...whatever.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JonS
I don't see how they could win, but never am surprised by how crazy some folks are. What stops burglars/robbers from yelling "police, search warrant," when they enter.
If you came into my house and I didn't see lights flashing outside, there would be guns pointed at you and shots fired if I didn't see a badge in that split second.
Never a good time when an officer is killed, but I don't think I could convict on what I've read. There is always more to the story.
Which is precisely the idea behind the framers requiring a warrant, which is a right belonging to the suspect. That means forced entry constitutes a rights violation unless there's a legitimate opportunity to inspect said warrant prior to the cops' power to enter being activated, i.e., because otherwise absent that the homeowner possesses the right to repel with whatever force is necessary, which predictably results in death on one side or the other.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by ldholton
If they were at a house not listed on the warrant, then they didn't have a search warrant. Self defense would be entirely appropriate.
ok agreed lets me ask this a different way what if a warrant was issued to wrong house or nothing wasa found in house that warrant was issued to ??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just wait until they are knocking at the door to confiscate your suddenly illegal 30 round magazines.
Hate to read about anyone, cops or the alleged criminal getting killed, but this sort of stuff was bound to happen, and will happen more and more in the future.
Cops feel like they just gotta knock down doors, and half the Country is armed now.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Someone who breaks into your home in the middle of the night, Cop or not deserves to be shot.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bea175
Someone who breaks into your home in the middle of the night, Cop or not deserves to be shot.

I could not agree more strongly. TRH makes an excellent point about the homeowner's rights being violated unless he is allowed to see the warrant first.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Harry M

Why do such a high risk break down for weed?

For the fear and intimidation factor. Till they run in to some one that doesn't intimidate to easy then you have dead bodies.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.