Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by XPLRN
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Different article.

I've found four different articles and NONE of them states that the guns were stolen. He's definately guilty till proven innocent.

You'll have to clear that up with Pat. Regardless. felons can't legally own firearms.

Exactly, the guy had a .308 semi-auto rifle by his bed when he knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he was not legally allowed to possess any firearms. When are people going to understand that laws are only for honest people who choose to obey them. A criminal doesn't care about laws.

I don't see how this hi-profile lawyer thinks he's got a case with this criminal!!?? Here is a statement from one of the articles;

Police recovered the semiautomatic assault rifle allegedly used to kill Sowders and several other guns the defense attorney says were legally owned.

Yes, those weapons were probably legally owned by someone and not stolen as some informant claimed to the police. However a felon had NO right to have any firearms in his possession/presence. The high powered defense attorney seems to be quite confused.

I'll put money on the guns being legally owned by the defendants girlfriend.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't have anything to prove to you. Take my word or look it up yourself.

Oh yea, I'm all over taking your word for something.

I won't forget about this, I'll stay on top of it and when it comes out that none of the guns were stolen I'll [bleep] with you some more.

Why?

Because to you the police are always right and us lowly citizens are just pieces of schit. I try my best to be as lawful and honest as possible, but folks are getting fed the [bleep] up with what is becoming a police state.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the second article linked:
"According to the affidavit for the warrant, Sowders received information from an investigator that Magee was growing marijuana and possibly had stolen guns, as well as other drugs inside his home.

Officials have not released information about what was discovered inside Magee's trailer, but DeGuerin said a few marijuana plants were the only illegal items in the home. While Magee did have four guns inside his home -- a .308-caliber semi-automatic rifle, the weapon Magee shot Sowders with; a .223-caliber rifle discovered locked up in a safe, along with a shotgun given to him by his grandfather; and a handgun that belonged to his mother found in the kitchen -- they were all legal, DeGuerin said.

In an affidavit for a warrant to search Sowders' trailer after the shooting, Texas Ranger Andres de la Garza wrote, "By Magee's own admission he heard and observed the entry made by the SWAT team."

However, DeGuerin said his client "had no idea it was a deputy sheriff" when he shot him.

Sowders applied for the search warrant after consulting with the district attorney's office, according to the original affidavit, which included a request from Sowders to enter the home "without first knocking and announcing the presence and purpose of officers."

The request was made based on information that Magee had weapons inside that, according to an investigator's source, he was not afraid to use, according to the affidavit, which stated he had an aggressive dog, as well."

Just highlighted a few of the more relevant (IMO) portions. There is one mistake here - "an affadavit for a warrant to search Sowders' trailer after the shooting...". Unless the deceased also lived in a trailer and the Texas Rangers wanted to search his domicile for some reason.

What I'm wondering about, and I'm not trying to be snide, is with 8 officers on the raid why was Magee not shot multiple times after firing on and hitting Sowder? I guess I can understand that when a .308 semi-auto is going off at close range they might have retreated rapidly but I thought the idea of dynamic entries was to overwhelm anybody inside by overpowering numbers.

The article also states that Magee heard explosions outside the window and loud pounding on the door, then "Moments later, Magee saw a person whom he said he couldn't identify in the dark burst through his door".

If it was a "no knock" why were they pounding on the door? And then why did it take "moments" for the deputy to enter - realizing that "moments" could be anything from a few to several seconds. Obviously though, it was long enough for Magee, who was sleeping in the living room, to grab his rifle that was leaning against a bedroom door.

Lots of things here aren't making sense. Based on the info in the article the no knock wasn't a no knock or if it was someone really screwed it up.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What place would that be?
That would be when it's more likely to save innocent lives than doing otherwise.

That's their legitimate place. I really can't think of much else that qualifies.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't have anything to prove to you. Take my word or look it up yourself.

Oh yea, I'm all over taking your word for something.

I won't forget about this, I'll stay on top of it and when it comes out that none of the guns were stolen I'll [bleep] with you some more.

Is that what you tell the judge about the people you arrest, . . . . ."Your Honor, just take my word for it"
These discussions generally get heated and this one has remained pretty congenial, despite the inflammatory nature of the topic. Pat has been around a long time and is well-respected here. I don't agree with him all the time, but he knows what he is talking about and is not wont to say stuff that has a good possibility of being wrong. You've been here what, a year? It's easy enough to disagree and if you can prove Pat wrong, go for it. Seems like a counter-productive move to announce you're going to eff with him over essentially nothing though.

Have a Merry Christmas.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn't read any of many of my posts did you?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
"According to the affidavit for the warrant, Sowders received information from an investigator that Magee was growing marijuana and possibly had stolen guns, as well as other drugs inside his home.

Officials have not released information about what was discovered inside Magee's trailer, but DeGuerin said a few marijuana plants were the only illegal items in the home. While Magee did have four guns inside his home -- a .308-caliber semi-automatic rifle, the weapon Magee shot Sowders with; a .223-caliber rifle discovered locked up in a safe, along with a shotgun given to him by his grandfather; and a handgun that belonged to his mother found in the kitchen -- they were all legal, DeGuerin said.

In an affidavit for a warrant to search Sowders' trailer after the shooting, Texas Ranger Andres de la Garza wrote, "By Magee's own admission he heard and observed the entry made by the SWAT team."

However, DeGuerin said his client "had no idea it was a deputy sheriff" when he shot him.

Sowders applied for the search warrant after consulting with the district attorney's office, according to the original affidavit, which included a request from Sowders to enter the home "without first knocking and announcing the presence and purpose of officers."

The request was made based on information that Magee had weapons inside that, according to an investigator's source, he was not afraid to use, according to the affidavit, which stated he had an aggressive dog, as well."

Just highlighted a few of the more relevant (IMO) portions. There is one mistake here - "an affadavit for a warrant to search Sowders' trailer after the shooting...". Unless the deceased also lived in a trailer and the Texas Rangers wanted to search his domicile for some reason.

What I'm wondering about, and I'm not trying to be snide, is with 8 officers on the raid why was Magee not shot multiple times after firing on and hitting Sowder? I guess I can understand that when a .308 semi-auto is going off at close range they might have retreated rapidly but I thought the idea of dynamic entries was to overwhelm anybody inside by overpowering numbers.

The article also states that Magee heard explosions outside the window and loud pounding on the door, then "Moments later, Magee saw a person whom he said he couldn't identify in the dark burst through his door".

If it was a "no knock" why were they pounding on the door? And then why did it take "moments" for the deputy to enter - realizing that "moments" could be anything from a few to several seconds. Obviously though, it was long enough for Magee, who was sleeping in the living room, to grab his rifle that was leaning against a bedroom door.

Lots of things here aren't making sense. Based on the info in the article the no knock wasn't a no knock or if it was someone really screwed it up.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thimks there is more that needs reported.

However Inam interested in the rest of this statement

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
It states, just as Pat originally stated that the warrant was issued for nRcotics and possible stolen guns.

Pull your head from

your azz and you would be able to read better

The Lt stated that the guns WERE STOLEN. . . . .the affadavit stated the informant said "possibly stolen guns". . . . .that's a hell of a difference. The police should certainly know the difference. Pull your head out of your ass.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Well, you've got what really happens, but what you rely on are multiple opinions some of which may be intentionally slanted, others just effed up. Then you have the media's interpretation of these opinions which experience says WILL be effed up. There it is.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Police recovered the semiautomatic assault rifle allegedly used to kill Sowders and several other guns the defense attorney says were legally owned.

His atty is a really sharp guy. I'm sure he knows a felon is not allowed to own firearms.

He is a convicted felon and the warrant was for weed and stolen guns. That attorney may be smart, but it doesn't make him honest. Just more reason the guys should have just caught the crook outside and then searched the house. I'm sure it wasn't his call though. Hopefully somebody will learn from this.

This was Pats post. Again. With the head in azz removal

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It states, just as Pat originally stated that the warrant was issued for nRcotics and possible stolen guns.

Pull your head from

your azz and you would be able to read better

The Lt stated that the guns WERE STOLEN. . . . .the affadavit stated the informant said "possibly stolen guns". . . . .that's a hell of a difference. The police should certainly know the difference. Pull your head out of your ass.
I may be wrong due to ham and turkey overdose but I did read the whole article and it seems like Pat said the guns were probably NOT stolen but that a CI had claimed they were and that was what was on the warrant. Maybe somebody else stated that.

And no, I don't believe in No-Knock Warrants.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

All good points. I don't reckon I've ever heard a defense attorney say "Well, yeah he hired me and I'm gonna defend him, but I really think he did it.".

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thimks there is more that needs reported.

However Inam interested in the rest of this statement

Actually it would probably be better if LESS was reported. "More" being reported in my mind generally equates with the media making [bleep] up to fill out their "stories". The key word being "stories". News "stories". Get it?

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ok I quit. . . . .I've only been here a year and my points are not valid.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What I meant was I'd like to see a copy of the entire statement taken by the Rangers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If your points are valid it doesn't matter whether you've been here only a day. It's the validation that gets difficult. Sounds like this is a screwed up affair and a guy is dead and wife widowed, kids half-orphaned. Bad thing all the way around and one reason I'm not an LEO.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I read what few points you made (Police are always right and citizens are all pieces of "[bleep]".), and they are not valid. Arguing for the sake of argument and spouting weak talking points will never get you anywhere around here. Don't quit so easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
drug warrant the man was probably a sum bag anyway , but what if the deputies had the wrong house an an innocent person shot a deputy thinking it was a robbery ? Now that would be um interesting to say the least

The Drug warriors are the scum, anti Liberty idiots like you and them have destroyed America.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Originally Posted by ldholton
drug warrant the man was probably a sum bag anyway , but what if the deputies had the wrong house an an innocent person shot a deputy thinking it was a robbery ? Now that would be um interesting to say the least

The Drug warriors are the scum, anti Liberty idiots like you and them have destroyed America.
This.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X

I'll put money on the guns being legally owned by the defendants girlfriend.

A bet I'd not take.

I was reflecting back on a thought you had shared about over-penetration in a trailer dwelling shooting situation.

Considering he was using a .308 rifle at close range........ah the hell with the ballistics question I had.....it's certainly an unfortunate situation that another human life was lost in the "war on drugs".

At the very end of this video is a statement by the speaker(LEO) that aptly covers the "no-knock"/going to someone's door activity.

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

134 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 14 invisible), 991 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.