Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 27 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 26 27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
� Makes more common sense than anything our resident Bible experts are saying. They seem to be in over their heads.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm whispering into a hurricane?

And that certainly works both ways.

Okay.

Time for this ol' blowhard to move along, I guess.

'Bye!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
John the Baptist himself said Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit instead of water.

How do you know what Jesus meant when he used the word baptize?

Kent

"Instead" of water? John said no such thing. As a matter of fact, the apostle John said that Jesus baptized more disciples than John the Baptist.

John 4:1-2
1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

Consider what the New Testament teaches about the purpose of water baptism, whether before Pentecost (Acts 2) or after . . .

It is all very simple if one has an open mind . . .

What I have discovered through diligent Bible study (aka the Bereans Acts 17:10-11) is that water baptism, before and after Pentecost, as described in the New Testament, has always been "for the remission of sins."

It is sin that separates us from God. It is Christ's blood that washes away that sin (Mt 26:28). . . it is through water baptism we put off that sin and rise to walk as a new creature (Rom 6:4)

Consider the following:

John the Baptist and Jesus (before Pentecost)-

Matthew 3
1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,

2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

5 Then went out to him Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and all the region round about Jordan,

6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: . . .

Mark 1
4John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

John 4
1 When therefore the Lord knew how the Pharisees had heard that Jesus made and baptized more disciples than John,

2 (Though Jesus himself baptized not, but his disciples,)

So all the disbelievers, ask yourself, was water baptism, before Pentecost (Acts 2) "for the remission of sins?"

After Pentecost -

Acts 2
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

The "faith only" argument uses the word "accept" the free gift of salvation. The New Testament does not use that word "accept." Instead it refers to "Receiving the word" the acting on that word in obedience.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
John 3:16, what more do you need?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So, how do we go about calling on the name of the Lord? Here's one way...
Ro 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

I am 7.5 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time here in Spain, so I am way behind on reviewing these interesting comments in this thread and responding with my own take. For example, having read Rock's comments in this thread I believe a reasonable man could perceive he is a "faith only" advocate (ie. Calvinist, ie. Baptist, etc) . . . but from this passage he quotes there are no less than two key elements of man's requirement to "call on the name of the Lord" and be saved . . . "confession and Belief." So right off the bat, we see "Faith Only" is a false doctrine.

One other observation, Jesus said in John 14:6 - "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man cometh unto the father but by me." Yet Rock seems to be saying in the quote above there is more than one way . . . "ie. "Here is a way . . .") Then again, maybe I am reading too much into his quote.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

I agree 100% that all Christians need to get baptized but I do not agree with it being a requirement for salvation. . . .

So, R. H. - just to keep the dialog on a simple and understandable plane, and to establish a base of agreement before proceeding further, . . . do the Scriptures teach that repentance is a "requirement for salvation."

IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Luke 3:16 �John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:�

Do you see the word.... but...

The other stuff you referenced doesn't have any direct relevance to my context.

John baptized one way... Jesus baptizes another...

Baptized... baptizes... see what I did there.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Day after Christmas . . . 3:40 pm in Rota Spain. Connecting at the local restaurant Wi-Fi and having a nice afternoon lunch with my wife consisting of fried peppers, fried shark in adobo, fried cuttle fish, olives in oil, spanish bread (of course) and a couple of cold Cruz Campos!

[Linked Image]

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Very nice! looks like you and the missus are having a good time.

I should be out deer hunting but 12 hours of granddaughter wore me out yesterday, I'll go out this afternoon.

Kent

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I should be out deer hunting but 12 hours of granddaughter wore me out yesterday, I'll go out this afternoon.

It happens to the best of us.

I went to work this morning, just to get a break.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
jimmyp,

Give us and example from the Book of Acts where someone was saved without water baptism, please. It would make it easier for us Bible thumpers. We could at least leave that one thing behind.

Crickets chirping . . . wink [video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=e2KVj2vVxUs[/video]

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
jimmyp

John 3:16, what more do you need?

Where does repentance fit into this John 3:16?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
� Makes more common sense than anything our resident Bible experts are saying. They seem to be in over their heads.

Okay.

'Bye!

What is frustrating to me, is posting several times what the Pope has said that disagrees with what has been said by some on this thread.

I�m not Catholic, but Pope Francis has turned not just the Catholic world but much of Christianity upside down.
He has declared that everyone � including atheists � are redeemed through Jesus.

And some on here act like it never happened.

No problem for some Christians who believe as I do that all good people should receive just reward.

But it certainly does contradict what some on here have said they believe based on their own understanding of the Bible.

They seem to be without answer.

I believe that is because they have read the same scripture as the Pontiff and know in their hearts that he is closer to the true meaning of Christ than their own narrow interpretations.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Just another interesting thought... From the Jesus era till now. More souls are going into the kingdom unbaptized than baptized. Add in the Jews from the old law, even if you exclude the Jews in the new law. Then the baptized minority fraction really becomes pronounced.

Wonder if they have separate condo complexes... and who has to sit at the back of the bus...

Kent

Last edited by krp; 12/26/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=BOWSINGER] � Makes more common sense than anything our resident Bible experts are saying. They seem to be in over their heads.

Okay.

'Bye!

What is frustrating to me, is posting several times what the Pope has said that disagrees with what has been said by some on this thread.

I�m not Catholic, but Pope Francis has turned not just the Catholic world but much of Christianity upside down.
He has declared that everyone � including atheists � are redeemed through Jesus.

And some on here act like it never happened.

No problem for some Christians who believe as I do that all good people should receive just reward.

But it certainly does contradict what some on here have said they believe based on their own understanding of the Bible.

They seem to be without answer.

I believe that is because they have read the same scripture as the Pontiff and know in their hearts that he is closer to the true meaning of Christ than their own narrow interpretations.

I don't follow or care what ANY Pope says. Just my .02

Layed over 3 days in Rota once when one of the Air Forces finest broke down! They kept us on a pretty tight leash though...

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

I don't follow or care what ANY Pope says. Just my .02

Amen! Hes just a man. Im the village idiot here, but IMO the "church" has strayed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leave it to men to mess up the best thing we've ever been offered...God's gift of salvation, and the opportunity to walk through life with Him. Leave it to men to muck it up, and make it much more complicated than it really is. And leave it to men to make it dependent upon something that it isn't.
Lots of modern day Pharisees out there...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by krp

It happens to the best of us.

I went to work this morning, just to get a break.

Well, I didn't go hunting, as my daughter, who is a teacher, was wore out from a week of 24hr Mia including the busy holiday... Dad, could you please take her for a couple days, we need a rest...

When they were leaving they said, 'we're going now'... do you hear me?... Mia looks up and says 'bye' while waving...

Daughter said 'yep, she loves Pappy the most'

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Leave it to men to mess up the best thing we've ever been offered...God's gift of salvation, and the opportunity to walk through life with Him. Leave it to men to muck it up, and make it much more complicated than it really is. And leave it to men to make it dependent upon something that it isn't.

Some folks just have to feel "special". A VERY small minority of Protestant denominations hold baptism as being essential to salvation, yet on this forum, they try to ram their views thru.

Reminds me of another crowd.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers

Amen

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Now, let's open up a real important subject, Communion.

Must be Kosher wine only and the bread must be French bread. It must be taken while balancing on one knee with the left eye shut. If it is not taken this way at noon each day or it does not count and you are doomed the hell.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 16 of 27 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 57 invisible), 2,792 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.