Come, Lord Jesus...

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Ringman
Which group disparages the other group with derogatory statements?

You mean like you and TRH judging another person's salvation...?

How flippin' disparaging and derogatory do you consider that to be...?
Where have I or he done that? We've spoken of what the Bible says on the level of principle, never having speculated about any particular person's salvation.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
This thread calls to mind an episode of All in the Family shown many years past. In it, Archie had taken a small child into a church and baptised same in a fountain. He did this in a stealthy manner so no one would catch him. He was worried that the parents would not have the child baptised so took matters into his own hands. Not because he was christian, but he just new it should be done. As he was pouring water over the child's head, Archie exclaimed,"I baptise you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

If that had happened today and had been reported in the news, would the baptism be valid regardless of the human element of the baptiser?

Baptism, as defined in the Greek, means immersion. Sprinkling and pouring is not New Testament baptism as depicted in the New Testament. Archie was probably a catholic, so to him it was baptism.

and even at that he baptized wrong....
Father, Son and Holy Ghost are titles or offices, the NAME of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost is quite simply Lord Jesus Christ

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This thread calls to mind an episode of All in the Family shown many years past. In it, Archie had taken a small child into a church and baptised same in a fountain. He did this in a stealthy manner so no one would catch him. He was worried that the parents would not have the child baptised so took matters into his own hands. Not because he was christian, but he just new it should be done. As he was pouring water over the child's head, Archie exclaimed,"I baptise you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit."

If that had happened today and had been reported in the news, would the baptism be valid regardless of the human element of the baptiser?
The Roman Catholic theological doctors have considered this question, and I remember studying their answer. It is that the baptism would only become valid the moment the infant reached a level of maturity necessary to understand who Jesus was and desired the baptism.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Baptism, as defined in the Greek, means immersion. Sprinkling and pouring is not New Testament baptism as depicted in the New Testament. Archie was probably a catholic, so to him it was baptism.
He stipulated that the baptizer was not a believer, but Catholics would say that so long as Archie wished to do what the Catholic Church intends in baptism, it was valid.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't we please let this die before another year dawns?

Nobody's settling anything except in his own mind, so where's the practicality or the utility or the satisfaction of continuing the squabble?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Nobody's settling anything except in his own mind, so where's the practicality or the utility or the satisfaction of continuing the squabble?

+1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

So long as we remain civil, what's the problem?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I�m just glad the Pope came around to my way of thinking before the year ran out. smile

Next year, tomorrow, the new thread will be about MSNBC saying all you Christians have to stop putting up Christmas trees.

They caught Sarah Palin and her family doing it. Even got pictures.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
edited due to my error

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 12/31/13.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Luke 1:13-15
Key in on Luke 1:15

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fixed my post laugh

happy new year

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
No prob,
Same to you.
smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John was different from almost every person who was ever born. Consider the following Scriptures.

Malachi 4:5-6 YHWH speaking,

�'Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the Lord. He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse.'"

Matthew 11:13-14 Jesus speaking,

"'For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John. And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come.'"

Matthew 17:10-13 Jesus speaking,

"And His disciples asked Him, 'Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?' And He answered and said, 'Elijah is coming and will restore all things; but I say to you that Elijah already came, and they did not recognize him, but did to him whatever they wished. So also the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.' Then the disciples understood that He had spoken to them about John the Baptist."

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Since you hold baptism to be necessary for salvation, I'd like answers to the following questions, if you have time. ["I don't know" is a proper answer if it's truthful]

In this present time :

What person can perform an effective baptism? i am defining "effective" as scriptural. There are no qualifications required of scripture for the baptizer.

What is the accepted method? immersion is the definition of baptism. The Ethiopian eunuch asked Philip the evangelist what would hinder him from being baptized immediately after he had heard the gospel preached unto him. Philip, filled with the Holy Spirit relied, "if thou believest, thou mayst. That explains one reason why infant baptism is unnecessary. They do not "believe."

If a person publicly states his belief in Christ, expresses repentance, and is baptized in accordance with your answers to the first two questions, but publicly states that baptism is NOT a requirement for salvation, what is his standing with regard to salvation?only God can determine "standing" when we attempt to split hairs. The question of whether a person can obey God without understanding the reward for doing so, is a long standing debate.

I'm not one to demand an opinion be backed up by bible verses, BTW, just asking your take on these questions.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm obliged for the response.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'm obliged for the response.

I'm am curious what would be your opinion of a man who believes all "good people" will be saved regardless if they believe Jesus is the son of God, but he believes, even though he doesn't think faith is necessary to be saved? Will his faith save him. How about all the good people who don't have faith? Just curios. Thanks.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Page 27 of 27 1 2 25 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (alffe, 6mmCreedmoor, 375sunrise, 257robertsimp, 15 invisible), 817 guests, and 883 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.