-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One more observation, I have had far fewer (as in NO) troubles out of my Glocks, while I have had a fair amount of trouble out of Smith Revolvers. Once sorted out, they all run, but I have had to send 2 different Smiths back and no Glocks back. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, just trying to list my experiences.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bobmn
Taurus Ti Tracker 41 mag. 5 shot 4" barrel. Don't like the porting but it is the only way they were made. Weighs 24 oz. Factory ribber grips are liked by most but the trigger guard mangled my social finger so I switched the Ribber for Hogue finger groove. Chronographed Beartooth 250 grain WFNGC at 1200 fps which is performance unreachable with a 40 Short&Weak or a 10mm. Only speed loader is an Enfield 303 stripper clip or a Maxfire. OK for black and grizzly country (lower 48) but I carry a 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh in brown bear country (Alaska) where they have access to salmon protein.

I always thought that this handgun would be the way to go. Unfortunately it is not legal to pack in Canada and so I never bought one. frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by K1500
One more observation, I have had far fewer (as in NO) troubles out of my Glocks, while I have had a fair amount of trouble out of Smith Revolvers. Once sorted out, they all run, but I have had to send 2 different Smiths back and no Glocks back. I don't want to sound like a fanboy, just trying to list my experiences.

1+ on the no problem with Glock after my Kaboom which were documented problems with unsupported chambers and hot loads. Once that part was fixed, there was no problem.
Over the years I have probably had in the neighborhood of 20 Glocks never had one to give me a FTF. One of my friends asked me after the incident if I was going to keep the gun, I was like hells yes. That thing is a Hot Dog!! 15 rounds per clip of near .41 mag rock and rolla, in a easy carrin' package. Where else you gonna get that?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
4th Point 220 gr 10 MM cast load, Did not chronograph load yet.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Interesting thread. I consider a backpacking handgun like a fire extinguisher in the home - most of us have never used it, but if ya really need it and ya don't have it, you're in big trouble...I can't imagine hiking or backpacking with the family and not having a handgun along. We have grizzlies around - I pack the Glock 20 mostly, as it is incredibly dependable and accurate with any load - mine has malfunctioned, but only when I didn't cleaned it in a while. I use the Doubletap hardcast loads for hiking (with an aftermarket barrel) and they shoot well in mine. I have never had to shoot a critter in defense, but have drawn it twice with strange acting bears that were too close and thrice with pissed off cow moose with calves (a greater threat than bears in northern Idaho/northwestern Montana, I believe). I also have a 329 and don't find the recoil of factory 240 grain loads too unbearable (but not nice either), BUT, I have, on two occasions had bullets in the cylinder jump the cases and lock up the cylinder - this was with factory Hornady ammo with 180 and 200 grain XTP's. due to this, I worry a bit to pack it on hikes and have it lock up after the first shot in a bad situation (if I go with a revolver, I go with a 629 for this reason, and put up with the weight). The factory 240 XTP's haven't jumped the cases yet, so not sure if just luck or that the 180 or 200 grainers are higher velocity and this is a reason (but recoil is greater with the 240's)?? Anybody have any thoughts on this??

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Test for crimp jump by loading 6, shooting 5, and comparing the length of the unaired round to its original length. Almost all loads will have SOME crimp jump in a 329. I have had no troubles with Hornady factory 240 gr XTP and Winchester white box 240 gr JSP. Winchester 250 gr PTHP jump like crazy.

That platinum tip load was my deer hunting load in my 629. If I really wanted to use a load that jumped, I would load the first two or three chambers with that load and the rest with a load that doesn't jump. It is probably just as easy to load a proven load. I don't like anything less than 240 gr in a .44, so I just run the Hornady or Winchester loads.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another very important reason to have your chambers engraved with numbers

Easy to see at a glance what your going to have first up

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Haven't read much of the responses but I believe a backpacking gun is a solution looking for a problem. No offense intended. If you are hunting, you are generally armed. If you are in griz country - ok fine if it makes you feel better. If you are hiking thru Dirtbag National forest, then by all means.

If you are carrying for bear defense, you better be pretty darn handy with a sidearm of any style or caliber.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I am pretty damn handy with a handgun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K1500
Me too.

I guess it is OK for us to carry.

What a relief...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It isn't fun anymore. I used to like the hiking thing, but I scared everything out of the forest. I used to hunt the Gallatin National forest, but when people heard I was going up there, they would head to the far side of where I was going and shoot all the stuff I scared.

The FWP put a stop to it a couple years ago when a couple Rainbow Coalition Hippies got spooked into a bunch of hunters waiting for the usual scared game and shot both of them.

They could have lived, but you know these redneck hunters in Montana, they gutted the Hippies before they could get help...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by STONE_57
I do love the mountain gun but its at 50oz loaded. Not ideal for packing

Yep, had one for years in Alaska. Heavy, and my .44 mag wouldn't hit the side of a barn.
I have an air lite Ti S&W 396 .44 special now that is a feather, and it is accurate.
Highly recommend unless you need uber grizzly protection...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by STONE_57
I do love the mountain gun but its at 50oz loaded. Not ideal for packing

Yep, had one for years in Alaska. Heavy, and my .44 mag wouldn't hit the side of a barn.
I have an air lite Ti S&W 396 .44 special now that is a feather, and it is accurate.
Highly recommend unless you need uber grizzly protection...

That's a nice revolver you have there.

Travis

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I carry a 329PD in the back country. It has a sharp recoil that you can get used to. It is violent but honestly useable. I've shot several hundred rounds and I've come to enjoy the pistol. I've never experienced significant bullet drift in the crimp. It is accurate and slick to shoot, as you would expect from s&w. I had night sights around so mounted up just the front and also added a crimson trace grip. I've shot probably 100 rnds with the laser and it has held its zero, but the new grip hurts my middle finger and is less fun to shoot now.

It is an interesting piece. I will share that when I first got it I set up some loads low to max and took it out for a trial. When I first shot it, I was pretty sure I has blown it up and had to check if for a catastrophic failure. Turns out that's just how it shoots--violently. At hunting camp someone always wants to give her a run (or gets goaded into it) and twice I've loaded it with 3 44 specials and 3 44 magnums--I shoot the first 3 and say "see, it's not bad" then hand her over. Its can provide some campfire entertainment.

As for need, I've never used a handgun for anything but grouse while in the mountains (or the occasional finishing shot). I grew up recreating in grizzly bear country and never carried. Bears were scarce and elusive. Long before there was even a bear spray option I backpacked unarmed. When I started carrying, it was more because of two legged dangers than from those with 4 legs. However, there are far more bears around MT today than there were when I was young.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have the 329 PD, G20, 1911, ect... but the handgun I carry most often in the backcountry is this one stoked with Stingers.
but, like headwatermike, I was tromping bear turf unarmed as soon as I could walk.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by alukban
A loaded Glock 36 is about 27 oz and its barrel length will supposedly push CorBon 230 gr JHP +P to about 900 fps.

I just got one smile

Verified to be 28.1 oz with 7 rounds of LaserCast 255 gr SWC's over 5.2 gr of Unique clocked at 850 fps. It is softer shooting than my DW VBOB and a full pound lighter.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry a glock in 40 S&W when hiking most times, or a 38 special. Both lead off with bird shot, as snakes are 100X more likely than bears where I hike, and a face full of shot will stop most 2 legged predators long enough for me to get to the third round, which is usually a FMJ flat point (40 S&W) or JHP (38) of some sort.

Mine Glock is a Glock 32 with a Glock 23 barrel, only because I haven't found 357 sig shot shell ammo. For daily carry, I have a XDS in 9mm, and am not afraid to carry that with +p+ ammo in the woods.

I also have a +p+ rated 9mm barrel for the Glock, and think 16 rounds of +p+ with an extra mag is enough for just about anything short of a rifle fight.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Ruger Blackhawk SS flat top in .45 Colt. You can load them lite, or load them heavy. Semi (accent on the "I" for Texans) light for me.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If concealment/weight is less of an issue and for a hunting sidearm - S&W Mountain Gun in 41 Mag in a belt scabbard

Regular hiking/backpacking gun - Used, somewhat beat up police trade Glock 23 40 S&W in a belt scabbard or belly pack

Lightweight casual hiking gun - S&W 442 38 Spl +p in a Kramer pocket holster

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 1minute, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.