Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Notice the shooting ports of these very early Yavapai ruins.
I call them the "Old Ones". I go up there and sit and try and piece together their lives as they lived it then.

Have to wonder just how old these ruins are? Anyone here have any idea?

Entrance into the citadel. This is what faced you. I don't think these were just windows... Anyone else see ruins with ports like this anywhere else?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is this just north of Phoenix?
There are some other old ruins nearby

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nope! All we have around here is dirt.

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the memories. Having experienced those, I've wondered if they were just for seeing - or shooting - or both. Years back I asked a friend, the former Chieftess Pat McGee about that - offered little to no info on the subject.

At the many and various "Old" living sites up in this area, the "walls" are rarely so high and defined, but the general surroundings usually yield imaginitive insight to their lives. I, too, enjoy just sitting at those places and wondering what transpired.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
They built this place out of fear. They were not migrating that is for sure. They had to be there for awhile.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
(Sorry to interrupt, but have I missed something? Didn't you used to be in OR or WA or some such?
I get dizzy when the world moves around me too fast!)

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I moved back "home" from WA State. LOVE the sunshine!! In the mid 50's today and couldn't be happier.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK. Thanks for clearing that up.
Welcome back home.
Looking forward to more of your hunting tales, now "dateline AZ".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
looks like some rocks just fell out of the wall to me.

Sam......

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
After seeing what some native people produced a bit further south, people like the Mayans and Aztecs and Incas, I have to say, their Northern cousins weren't particularly talented in the stone construction business.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
That's a defensive fort, or at least like the forts I've found.

Was there actually a ruin with rooms and patios, pottery on the ground? The forts I've found were hastily constructed, looked like one time use.

My own opinion is they were built by more modern indians during the period between the pueblos and white man.

Kent

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good points Kent,

NO rooms, except for a few at the very top, no patios, no pottery, and no writing.

I think you're right, a defensive fort. It's quite large and would have taken some time to build it. Not for a one time use.

My pics show a lower wall and only about 15% of it.

It also has two upper ring walls as well.

A whole lot more to this fort.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
SU35,

look up Perry Mesa, Verde Confederacy and some of the arch. work by David Wilcox. It's pretty cool. Lot of it has to do with line of sight and communication by signals (fire?) over long distances. I'm trying to talk myself out of loading the quad and heading for Bloody Basin/Turret Peak right now.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm thinking they are defensive places built by the post pueblos... Yavapai, if that's west of the verde... the ones I found would have been Apache. Pueblos were built starting with a few rooms and adding over the years as they grew larger. Forts seem to have been built by fortifying natural outcropping (those large rocks) and not improved on.

The reason I think they were more modern indians is the hundreds of pueblos I've found, made of rock and adobe covering out in the open, have all fallen in leaving just rings and squares in the dirt after 1000 years. That these unsecured rocks are still up seems to mean more recent.

I wish someone would test the Yavapai, Hopi, Havasupai, Pima for DNA match to Hohokam, Salado, Anasazi, Sinagua... it'd truly be interesting to know if any descended through.

Kent

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
look up Perry Mesa, Verde Confederacy and some of the arch. work by David Wilcox. It's pretty cool. Lot of it has to do with line of sight and communication by signals (fire?)

Cool, thanks for the tip as I will look that up! I can see the bloody basin area from this area and could see that a signal would work.

The reason I think they were more modern indians is the hundreds of pueblos I've found, made of rock and adobe covering out in the open, have all fallen in leaving just rings and squares in the dirt after 1000 years. That these unsecured rocks are still up seems to mean more recent.

I wish someone would test the Yavapai, Hopi, Havasupai, Pima for DNA match to Hohokam, Salado, Anasazi, Sinagua... it'd truly be interesting to know if any descended through.

Kent

Kent, again, excellent points. From my understanding in talking with the park ranger at the Homolovi (Hopi) ruins near Winslow.
He said the Old Ones would be Hopi, they migrated up, out of the South. Who knows...?

From my understanding, Anasazi is an offensive term to the Native American. It means "the enemy" it is no longer used to describe a tribe.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Also the no pottery issue probably excludes the pueblos.

I've found pottery in areas that had no living ruins close. But on ridges that had a small ring of rock and would be perfect for trade routes from the valley to Tonto basin. The rings big enough to hold a couple sleeping traders. Tonto basin ruins have alot of seashell bracelets and effigies that could only come from Baja or the Pacific.

Them indians broke pots all over the place and they're still on the ground.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by krp
I'm thinking they are defensive places built by the post pueblos... Yavapai, if that's west of the verde... the ones I found would have been Apache. Pueblos were built starting with a few rooms and adding over the years as they grew larger. Forts seem to have been built by fortifying natural outcropping (those large rocks) and not improved on. The reason I think they were more modern indians is the hundreds of pueblos I've found, made of rock and adobe covering out in the open, have all fallen in leaving just rings and squares in the dirt after 1000 years. That these unsecured rocks are still up seems to mean more recent. Kent

For the nothing it would be worth, I agree with this - Kent has seen quite a bit more of it all than have I. The old dwelling places are very different from these walls.

Sycamore - hope you get to go - some of those old folks locations up in Bloody Basin are neat. At times, I really miss that "west of the Verde" country, and those white tail that range from there up to Horner Mtn.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by SU35

From my understanding, Anasazi is an offensive term to the Native American. It means "the enemy" it is no longer used to describe a tribe.

Wonder if they had to change the name of the bean (related to the pinto) they grow up in Dove Creek Co? LOL

It's Navajo I think, for ancient ones... doubt anyone knows what they actually called themselves, same with the others... So because of PC, what are they called now?

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Anasazi is more politics. It's a Navajo word, can be translated "ancient enemies". Hopis don't like that, they like "hisat sinom" (in Hopi, ancient people)

So lot of archs use "ancestral puebloans" now.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Well, if the navajos named them the ancient enemy and they now live where the anasazi lived, I guess they knew what they were talking about... PC be damned... it's a badassed name to be proud of regardless.

Kent

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1eyedmule, 219DW, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,077
Posts18,521,776
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.