-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
T
Hello all this is Alan owner of Two Bear Outfitters. Let me clear up the drop camp thing. Yes, reputable outfitters will do drop camps, but it is usually for experienced elk hunters not the opposite. Drop camps are not in the same areas as guided clients and they do not cost the outfitter nearly as much as a basecamp guided hunt. Base camp many think is determined by the amount of elk etc and drop camp not so much. Here is the reality: Basecamp does require elk, but its actual location is determined by logistical considerations within elk country. Because of the dynamics of a basecamp it must be located with a ready water source, room for several tents, corral for horses, ample wood resources for woodstoves etc. Drop camps do not have any where near the logistical considerations, and can be plopped down right in the smack dab middle of great elk country.
We have clients do a full guided hunt, then a semi guided hunt, then on to drop camp as their elk hunting experience grows. I run a very reputable outfit, and do drop camps.
Thank You, Alan

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome Alan hope you stick around this is the best hunting/ shooting board on the net

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting Alan and clearing up BS! When you're good you don't have to brag about yourself, other people will brag for you.... and they have bragged for you!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Welcome Alan hope you stick around this is the best hunting/ shooting board on the net

And this ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TwoBear
Hello all this is Alan owner of Two Bear Outfitters. Let me clear up the drop camp thing. Yes, reputable outfitters will do drop camps, but it is usually for experienced elk hunters not the opposite. Drop camps are not in the same areas as guided clients and they do not cost the outfitter nearly as much as a basecamp guided hunt. Base camp many think is determined by the amount of elk etc and drop camp not so much. Here is the reality: Basecamp does require elk, but its actual location is determined by logistical considerations within elk country. Because of the dynamics of a basecamp it must be located with a ready water source, room for several tents, corral for horses, ample wood resources for woodstoves etc. Drop camps do not have any where near the logistical considerations, and can be plopped down right in the smack dab middle of great elk country.
We have clients do a full guided hunt, then a semi guided hunt, then on to drop camp as their elk hunting experience grows. I run a very reputable outfit, and do drop camps.
Thank You, Alan

Holy Smokes! Actual facts from a person qualified to make these statements..

I've done multiple drop camps in Co and Idaho, and I'll agree with every single statement Alan just made.

Alan, drop in again when ever you find some spare time.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TwoBears (Alan) is a reputable guy, plain and phhhuuckin simple!!!!!!!

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for your input Alan!

T
T
Thank You guys for the wonderful welcome. I just discovered this site when a client said folks were talkin about us. I really have enjoyed it thus far and I'll be around. It takes very little for me to run my yapper about elk hunting;)

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Alan, what's your take on the proposed boundary changes down your way? mtmuley

T
T
I'm in the upper portion of 270, mtmuley. It doesn't seem to effect our operation any, but I think upper 270 fits better with unit 261. I have not yet sent in my comments as I am still collecting information, so I couldn't really give an honest opinion just yet.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Apparition: Best of luck in your future Elk Hunting endeavors here in Big Sky country.
If you were a friend of mine (and I consider you to be!) I would advise you to spend your monies on a tresspass fee to a rancher that is harboring Elk herds on his place.
The areas of Montana that are harboring Wolves (most all of western Montana!) are experiencing both shortages of Elk on public lands AND Elk that are not doing what they used to do 10 - 12+ years ago.
I an NOT syaing that there are no Elk in the back country anymore but I am saying that there are way less of them AND they are under constant pressure from Wolves making them even more wary and difficult to Hunt!
I have two close, local, friends who have both killt more than 30 Bull Elk apiece, here in western Montana, and BOTH of them have now just suffered their second "Elkless" seasons in a row!
First time that has happened to either of them, EVER!
Maybe even consider a drop camp Hunt in Colorado or New Mexico (no Wolves there as yet!)?
Again best of luck to you in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Alan, do you own Two Bears or does Scott? No more hunting in 250? mtmuley

T
T
MtMuley, I own Two Bear bought it from Mike Gandy years ago after guiding there for a couple years. Scott has zero affiliation with Two Bear other than being the outfitter of record.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just wondering. So... Scott's license? mtmuley

T
T
Varmitguy,

I'd like to address your comments here, no disrespect intended sir. I don't believe for a second the Bitterroot is in anywhere near the trouble claimed by so many residents. I have hunted the root for 20 years and guided there for 7. In general, we kill no fewer bulls today then we did 10 years ago, cow elk notwithstanding due to reg changes.

Since 2008 Montana ranks second only to Utah in B&C bull entries. In the Bitterroot unit 270 and 261 are at or over objective elk populations. Most western Montana hunting units are at or over objective. State wide Montana elk populations are healthy. In the Bitterroot the 2013 Spring Elk survey counted 7373 elk which is the fourth highest elk count in 48 years of surveys.

Wolves: I will now say something that will really tick off my fellow outfitters. I believe the wolf issue has been greatly exaggerated. I have several times over the years been calling bulls in complete frenzy with wolves howling within 300 yards, it never once effected the calling. I have also gone two years without hearing or seeing wolves, not even a track. Some years they are around, others years not at all. I watched 5 bulls and 40 cows grazing in the open at 3pm in the afternoon last year, not a care in the world. Last year I heard bulls bugling all over the mountain, calling not effected by wolves in any capacity.

I was around a decade ago when the elk were everywhere. The bulls today are much better quality, we saw healthy nice 6 point and large 5 point satellite bulls last year!! Killed two P&Y herd bulls, and missed a 360" monster. I really like where we are at right now. The hunting units along the Idaho border, and Idaho itself are in fact down, but even the lower part of unit 250 is seeing increased growth trends and calf stabilization.

Too many folks went overboard with the liberal cow season and extended seasons. Remember the great Lolo peak massacre in Sula? Folks just hammering into the herd, it was truly disgusting. Increased lion season, extended spring bear, liberal wolf harvest and reasonable cow seasons are the ticket in my view.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
TwoBear
Thanks for that post. I spend a lot of time outside looking for deer and elk, to hunt during the season and to photo the rest of the year. The amount of elk I see is amazing, at least to me. Access to the elk, IS a problem. Lots of elk seem to stay on private land where there is limited or no hunting allowed.

Fred

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,521
Posts18,509,659
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.