Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
I have a few questions for people who have done drop camps for elk could answer for me...I've been really thinking about doing one in 2015. I've been hunting for 30 years, consider myself a pretty dam good outdoorsman, been on trips out west for antelope and deer. Been to Canada for bear, gators and hogs down south etc I'm a lineman by trade-and I'm in good shape. My questions have to do with is this doable ? I realize this is a wide question and no one knows the answer but what are the "pitfalls" I should be concerned with ? I'm a good shot, and have camped my whole life. At the risk of sounding dumb...what could go wrong that would deter me from finally taking the leap ? If I find a reputable outfitter who would put me in good country with elk, have a camp there and it was up to me to go find an elk and get one I can't really picture anything "bad" about it except maybe no game so it would be a week long camping trip. Am I missing something ? Please let me hear all your thought, comments, criticisms etc. Any and all feedback, including if you know an outfitter will be greatly appreciated. I don't care what state either. Thanks

Sab

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'd buy a wall tent/stove and find someone local to pack me into an area I'd researched. It'd be cheaper and you may have better results.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Theres a tread one page back on the subject. An outfitter (two bears) answered some questions.
Heres a link to his operation: http://www.elkoutfitters.com/

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 01/15/14.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For the purpose of this response, I will assume that you are in no position to do this on your own, so won't suggest it. I've thought about doing this myself and talked to a number of outfitters about it, so will give you my thoughts.

I pretty much agree with you that as long as you are using an outfitter of known and good reputation that has a good track record, that the worst thing that could happen is not finding any animals and you end up with a week long camping trip.

That being said, the pitfalls I see are as follows:
1) You don't see any animals, even hunting hard. This in and of itself isn't terrible, but if you're there for seven days and can't move or range out further, you're just stuck in elkless country. Sometimes hunting is like that and you can't do anything about it, but it can get downright depressing and frustrating when you've actually paid to go elk hunting. You would just have to keep in mind that you paid the outfitter to pack you in and provide equipment, not find the elk for you.

2) I'm not saying all, but a lot of outfitters seem (notice the word SEEM since I can't prove this) tend to supplement their income by packing in drop camp hunters in less than desirable, lesser quality places while at the same time guiding hunters in the better areas. Obviously, if they are guiding higher paying clients at the same time, they are going to take those guys to the best places. I realize that some outfitters don't do this, but some do seem to do that from what I've read and hunters that I've talked to. I don't have any proof of this, but I believe it happens.

3) There are some outfitters, one that used to outfit in the San Juans of Colorado, whose entire business was drop camps. At one time, I believe he was putting out up to 10 different camps during the same season, with each camp having 3-4 hunters. He didn't really seem to care if the hunters were successful or not. I don't know if this guy is still in business, but I steered clear of him right away.

4) Lack of proper equipment and mid-week checks. Before I left for a drop camp hunt where the outfitter was supplying the tent and equipment, I would do whatever I could to make sure that he has the equipment available to you that he promised before I left the trailhead. Sometimes they already have the camp and equipment packed in and you can't check this before you leave, but if that is the case, check everything prior to him leaving you at camp. I've had a drop camp experience where the equipment was very poor quality, very little fuel for camp stoves, and the amount of food was tremendously lacking for hard working hunters. Sometimes, the outfitter doesn't supply food, so if that is the case, then you can make sure that you have what you need. However, check the equipment and if it is lacking or non-functional, let the outfitter know before he leaves that you expect him to deliver one in working order the next day. The other thing is to make sure that they can send someone by your camp mid week, at least, to see if everyone is alright, to see if you need anything, and to see if you need something packed out. Make sure you discuss with him also where to leave notes so you can communicate with them if you're out hunting. I've left notes for outfitters to find while I'm out hunting and had them simply walk right by them and never notice them (I've watched them through binoculars while out hunting). So having a plan for where to leave notes is always a good idea.

5) Outfitters that won't pack your elk off the mountain. Make sure you discuss this before hand so you know what services are included. I've talked to several guys that have done drop camps and then find out that the outfitter won't go out and pack the meat off the mountain. Some will pack it for you but will charge you additional to do so. Some will tell you up front that you are required to get the meat back to camp and then they will pack it out from there. Just know what you're getting before you sign on the dotted line.

I do know of one outfitter in CO who I believe can put you in some good country if you want to do a drop camp. I believe he's told me that his drop camp hunters are about 40-50% successful. So...not as good as you would expect for a fully guided 1on1 hunt, but better than the DIY average. Of course, you'll need to talk to him yourself and make sure it's right for you. His area generally requires 1 preference point to draw a bull tag. He's a good outfitter and guide, but I've never done a drop camp with him. I believe he used to require 3 or 4 hunters, but I would bet he would accommodate a smaller group, the price per hunter might be just a bit higher though. You can PM me for his name and address if so inclined.

C
OP Offline
C
Test1328, great response. Thank you, that is the kind of stuff I was looking for when I posted this. Lots of excellent points, PM sent

IC B2

T
T
Originally Posted by cwa1104sab
I have a few questions for people who have done drop camps for elk could answer for me...I've been really thinking about doing one in 2015. I've been hunting for 30 years, consider myself a pretty dam good outdoorsman, been on trips out west for antelope and deer. Been to Canada for bear, gators and hogs down south etc I'm a lineman by trade-and I'm in good shape. My questions have to do with is this doable ? I realize this is a wide question and no one knows the answer but what are the "pitfalls" I should be concerned with ? I'm a good shot, and have camped my whole life. At the risk of sounding dumb...what could go wrong that would deter me from finally taking the leap ? If I find a reputable outfitter who would put me in good country with elk, have a camp there and it was up to me to go find an elk and get one I can't really picture anything "bad" about it except maybe no game so it would be a week long camping trip. Am I missing something ? Please let me hear all your thought, comments, criticisms etc. Any and all feedback, including if you know an outfitter will be greatly appreciated. I don't care what state either. Thanks

Sab

One of the biggest problems most folks have with drop camp is staying at it each and everyday. I have discussed on another thread why outfitters do drop camps. Guided hunts are expensive, and the profit margin for drop camp hunts is similar to guided hunts, so drop camp clients are just as important as guided clients. A drop camp client is a reference that can post reviews online etc just like a guided client, and in this day and age of internet, an outfitter is wise to take good care on drop campers. Base camp is determined primarily by logistics, such as corral room, available trees to cut for firewood in woodstoves, suitable water, space for several tents, hitchrail room for horses and mules etc. Both basecamp and drop camp must contain elk, and usually do. Drop camp must be far enough away from basecamp as to not interfere with one another, but not so far that it cannot be serviced from basecamp.

The advantages of drop camp include solitude and leisure. Hunters hunt on their own, at a pace that suits them. In our area a hunter will almost for sure not see another soul for a week other then us checking in on camp, and since we do that during the day, you may not see us at all. Drop camp isn't as disturbed as the basecamp area by guides and noise and hunters and smells. It is definitely more quiet and affords the hunter a more DIY experience. Drop camp has some downsides also, and that is there is no guide to motivate you to get up and get on them. There is no guide to share the experience of the area either other than your pre hunt orientation, after that, it is up to you to learn the area. The biggest downside is the camp chores. You still have to cook, and do dishes, get your own fire going etc.

Having some elk hunting experience under your belt is a definite plus, you can have good success in rifle, but in archery without a guide or experience, you would struggled I think. Many guys who feel a drop camp didn't hold elk, are really feeling the sting of perhaps not enough experience, not enough familiarity with the area, or the grind of chores wore them down a little. Another thing is that in the remote back country, a fella not familiar with an area can find himself staying a little to close to camp the first few days, a little hesitant to get out and about. Usually after a couple days they become more confident and kick it in.

You also need to have a partner for drop camp. I would never book a client in a drop camp as a solo hunt, and I would raise an eyebrow to an outfit that did. Hunter safety is top priority in the back country and one hunter alone by himself for a week is not a safe situation in my view. Two way radios and texting with basecamp are an absolute must.

You will have to quarter your elk and do everything in your power to prevent spoilage, and it can happen fast on an elk. As soon as you recover a shot animal basecamp should be informed. Be prepared to quarter, skin the fronts, and cape etc and make sure you bring the necessary items to complete those tasks. You may have to pack the quarter to water and set on logs over creek to keep cool. If other bulls are down, it may be awhile before the packer can get to your animal, so be prepared and make sure the outfit has pack frames in camp. If you wound an animal inform basecamp and a guide will assist in recovery. A guides knowledge becomes imperative at that point.

Most drop camps are not supplied with food, so be ready for that and all it entails. Food does no good without washing facilty/camp stove/ pots pans etc. You don't need the chore or noise of cutting firewood, so make sure the outfit supplies that as well. Finally, drop camps are down right awesome! The privacy, solitude, and peaceful environment is delightful. Fantastic way to hunt an area and a reasonable price. Yes, you can do if you keep a positive mental attitude and enjoy the experience and not focus on just killing an elk. Go have fun, enjoy, and learn. Never know, might drop a big bull first morning out. Hope this helps, Alan.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
1) You don't see any animals, even hunting hard. This in and of itself isn't terrible, but if you're there for seven days and can't move or range out further, you're just stuck in elkless country. Sometimes hunting is like that and you can't do anything about it, but it can get downright depressing and frustrating when you've actually paid to go elk hunting. You would just have to keep in mind that you paid the outfitter to pack you in and provide equipment, not find the elk for you.
An elkless area might have had plenty of elk yesterday. That's their nature. They can be highly mobile. If you go into their bedroom, they won't quit running for 5 miles and won't be back for weeks. Hunting black timber during mid day can be productive, but if you find them, you'd better get one. If you don't you won't find them there again.

Do outfitters require hunters to get the meat back to the camp? If an outfitter shows up to pack them out and finds that there's an elk down 3 miles away and in the bottom of a hell hole, it could screw up his whole schedule.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ditto what RockChuck says. However, where you don't find elk for days, the next day can hold a bunch. They can move into your area just as quickly as they can move out. I have killed more elk in the last three days and even the last day of the season, than the first.

About the only downside of what you are contemplating is getting into an area with no elk and not being mobile. To put that into perspective though, I have never in 40 years+ broke camp and moved to another location. Of course, being mounted, I can hunt a ten mile radius.

The best drop camp outfitter I know in Colorado is Jeanne Horne of J BAR H , operating out of Meeker. I think her prices are in the $3300-$3500 range per hunter.

The unit 12 she hunts is public land, but it has the highest number of elk in Colorado, a good bull to cow ratio and is not extremely rugged country.

She has well provisioned camps with good equipment, good stock/ tack and her staff is knowledgeable and courteous.

I don't use her, but hunt the same area. I just bought a darn good mule from her.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think RockChuck and Saddlesore make a good point about elk not being there for several days and all of a sudden, the place is full of them. That is where the mental challenge comes in, i.e. being persistent, having faith that your outfitter put you into good country, and that it is just a matter of time before the elk show up. But, you have to continue to get out and hunt. If you give up, and are sitting back at camp feeling sorry for yourself, when the elk show up, you'll miss your opportunity.

The mobility thing is a big one and something a lot of guys don't consider. When you are reliant only on your two legs to get you around, your range is limited. However, in good country, you usually have a bunch of options for new places to try.

I checked out TwoBear's website and it seems like he runs a very professional outfit. He would certainly merit consideration in my opinion.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My partner and I took 2 cows out of a herd this fall that just appeared in late afternoon - right out in the open only a few hundred yards from a road. We'd been hunting it in new snow for 2 days and saw not a track. Then, poof, they were there, about 50 of them. They were right where we'd hiked through 2 hrs earlier. It was too dark to shoot when we found them but we got them at 1st light the next morning. We still don't know which direction they came from. It was within 1/2 mile of that big Beaver Creek fire this summer.

― George Orwell

IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Ditto what RockChuck says. However, where you don't find elk for days, the next day can hold a bunch. They can move into your area just as quickly as they can move out. I have killed more elk in the last three days and even the last day of the season, than the first.

About the only downside of what you are contemplating is getting into an area with no elk and not being mobile. To put that into perspective though, I have never in 40 years+ broke camp and moved to another location. Of course, being mounted, I can hunt a ten mile radius.

The best drop camp outfitter I know in Colorado is Jeanne Horne of J BAR H , operating out of Meeker. I think her prices are in the $3300-$3500 range per hunter.

The unit 12 she hunts is public land, but it has the highest number of elk in Colorado, a good bull to cow ratio and is not extremely rugged country.

She has well provisioned camps with good equipment, good stock/ tack and her staff is knowledgeable and courteous.

I don't use her, but hunt the same area. I just bought a darn good mule from her.

+1 J Bar H
I think the amount you quoted was for guided. Drop camp is less.
Jeanne and her guides, cooks, wranglers, etc are all top shelf.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
cwa, check references, and look for repeat clients, that's the clue,

Everytime drop camps are brought up many negative questions are raised, drives me nuts. Do your homework, talk to past clients and you will have a ton of fun.

Answer me this, How is picking a drop camp outfitter any different than picking a guided hunt outfitter?

C
OP Offline
C
Guys, I can't thank you all enough for the info and tips. You have done away with the "angst" over this. Lots of great advice. I will check references of successful and unsuccessful hunters and look at repeat hunters...I always have-I learned the hard way.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When you hire a guide, you expect him to know the territory and where elk should be. You pay him for what he knows. If you go DIY, especially somewhere you've never been, you can't expect to get the same results. No hunt is guaranteed but the odds with an experienced guide should be much higher. You get what you pay for.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It's about making good decisions,and asking the right questions.

I don't see the diff between finding a good drop camp outfitter and a good Outfitter who guides. Do some homework in your search for either outfitter and go kill Elk.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I hunted with an outfitter in muzzy season that had drop camp hunters. They stayed in touch with the drop camps by radio and would give them advice on where to go if they hadn't seen elk or deer. The week I was there 2 of the 3 drop camps took at least one elk.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My hunting buddy and I did a drop camp hunt (2nd rifle season) in CO this past October. We hunted in 12" to 15" of snow. Camp accommodations were adequate but our tent wood-burning stove nearly burned out and wouldn't draft. We had a good supply of water but had to hike a quarter of a mile or so to get it. So, here are some of the pitfalls we experienced:
-Less than stellar accommodations (for the price we paid)
-After we unpacked and settled in, we learned that there was another camp with 4 hunters not 300 yards from our camp. The next day we ran into two more hunters who had backpacked in. Needless to say, our little valley was a busy place and our hikes to find pristine hunting areas were longer than planned.
-We saw two cows and a small spike bull the entire 5 days we were out and after our return, learned that there were 3 bulls and a couple of cows taken in the valley during the 1st rifle season. Still, we had a great time and we are planning another hunt for this year.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biggs- Do you mind sharing which unit you hunted? An OTC unit?

NRA member

Mill Creek Rifle Club member
DeSoto, KS
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Engine22, it was GMU 53 - the Little Robinson Cow Camp area. Horse power or backpack are the only ways to get in and out of the area.

Last edited by Biggs300; 01/18/14.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Biggs300
Engine22, it was GMU 53 - the Little Robinson Cow Camp area. Horse power or backpack are the only ways to get in and out of the area.

Some nice bulls get pushed back into there on the east side from Unit 54 after 1st season.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

699 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 71 invisible), 3,278 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,082
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.