-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL. Wanna come shoot a big match with me and Doc in April?

It's a national level match. All the big names will be there so you can see them in person instead of on YouTube.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have it on good authority that a hailstorm of bullets is most effective - especially when fired all at once from multiple locations at a single target. smirk

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

It's a national level match. All the big names will be there so you can see them in person instead of on YouTube.

In TX? Probably not.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

He can't. He has to work

Last edited by gitem_12; 01/16/14.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wasn't it Bill Jordan who once said, "You can't miss fast enough to win a gun fight." wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"It seems like in the movies it is all about suppressive fire."

Your question seems to answer itself.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/17/14.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The first shot that hits the target is what counts, misses do not.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I believe that William Butler Hickok advised "take your time aiming, fast". Since he was the original 19th Century Shootist, I'd heed that advice. Taking careful aim makes you lethal.

Good advice.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a minute and thought I'd explain what I posted earlier a little better, for conversation.

Something that I've learned in the last year is using only the amount of accuracy that you NEED and using it as fast as you can. How much accuracy you need will depend on the shot you're taking.

For example, let's say that at 7 yards I can make good nasal cavity shots all day, in 2.5 seconds from the holster. Now if I need to make that hostage shot I'll use all of my 2.5 seconds. But if I've got the entire bad guy to aim at, I can make two shots a whole second faster by NOT being as precise. Which is fine because if I have a whole bad guy at 7 yards to aim at, I don't need as much accuracy to put him down.

At 7 yards I can make torso shots as fast as I can pull the trigger by getting a good first sight picture and controlling the recoil. So it would be silly for me to slow down and aim every shot when I don't NEED to. In fact, I can make shots pretty consistently on a torso without sights, shooting from my side below my armpit.

I've been reading a book on shooting and the author made a good point that the whole "look at your front sight" line isn't always true. If I have three targets to shoot at three yards, I'll probably be looking at the target or even the next target way more than my sights. Because at three yards I don't need sights or precision aiming.

The less distance you have between you and your target the less time you have to get shots off. And you should need less time to get close shots off. It takes skill and time to line up iron sights for 100 yard shots. If you employ the same amount of skill and time in aiming at a bad guy at 10 feet, you'll take too long.

Obviously, it's great to be CAPABLE of great accuracy. The trick is knowing HOW MUCH of that accuracy you need for each shot and then using that much accuracy as fast as you can, as many times as you need to.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have to be accurate and deliberate enough to hit the intended target but faster than the opponent...

Few years ago a female Boston PD officer and a badguy got into a shootout at something like 10 yards...they were both shooting Glocks I believe...she emptied two magazines and he one...no runs, no hits but lots of errors...

I think it was Bill Jordan who said "you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight...".

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by whelennut
It seems like in the movies it is all about suppressive fire.
Does marksman ship play a role in a life or death situation?
whelennut

Two very different things. Suppressive fire is a tactic used to change positions. "marksmanship" is a discipline fostered to place a shot where you want it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Have to be accurate and deliberate enough to hit the intended target but faster than the opponent...

Few years ago a female Boston PD officer and a badguy got into a shootout at something like 10 yards...they were both shooting Glocks I believe...she emptied two magazines and he one...no runs, no hits but lots of errors...

I think it was Bill Jordan who said "you can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight...".

Bob
Ran a call once where a member of an Asian gang unleashed a full auto MAC 11 .380 in a studio apartment with 8 people in there. My patient was hit in the ring finger. 32 rounds fired, that was the only hit registered.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
For me it is all a balancing act, "as fast as possible, as accurate as necessary and as many times as needed." Cant remember where it was printed but that has always stuck with me.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
"Ran a call once where a member of an Asian gang unleashed a full auto MAC 11 .380 in a studio apartment with 8 people in there. My patient was hit in the ring finger. 32 rounds fired, that was the only hit registered."

..one of my favorite full-autos. Used to pay $169.00 if you ordered three at a time. With a suppressor screwed on all you heard is the bolt clicking back and forth and the bullets hitting the target.

Bob

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
I believe that William Butler Hickok advised "take your time aiming, fast". Since he was the original 19th Century Shootist, I'd heed that advice. Taking careful aim makes you lethal.

WYATT EARP
Take your time. It's important to draw fast and get off the first shot, but it's much more important to have your bullet go where you want it to go.

http://www.quotefully.com/tvshow/The+Life+and+Legend+of+Wyatt+Earp/Wyatt+Earp

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I've got a minute and thought I'd explain what I posted earlier a little better, for conversation.

Something that I've learned in the last year is using only the amount of accuracy that you NEED and using it as fast as you can. How much accuracy you need will depend on the shot you're taking.

For example, let's say that at 7 yards I can make good nasal cavity shots all day, in 2.5 seconds from the holster. Now if I need to make that hostage shot I'll use all of my 2.5 seconds. But if I've got the entire bad guy to aim at, I can make two shots a whole second faster by NOT being as precise. Which is fine because if I have a whole bad guy at 7 yards to aim at, I don't need as much accuracy to put him down.

At 7 yards I can make torso shots as fast as I can pull the trigger by getting a good first sight picture and controlling the recoil. So it would be silly for me to slow down and aim every shot when I don't NEED to. In fact, I can make shots pretty consistently on a torso without sights, shooting from my side below my armpit.

I've been reading a book on shooting and the author made a good point that the whole "look at your front sight" line isn't always true. If I have three targets to shoot at three yards, I'll probably be looking at the target or even the next target way more than my sights. Because at three yards I don't need sights or precision aiming.

The less distance you have between you and your target the less time you have to get shots off. And you should need less time to get close shots off. It takes skill and time to line up iron sights for 100 yard shots. If you employ the same amount of skill and time in aiming at a bad guy at 10 feet, you'll take too long.

Obviously, it's great to be CAPABLE of great accuracy. The trick is knowing HOW MUCH of that accuracy you need for each shot and then using that much accuracy as fast as you can, as many times as you need to.

This...........

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

^^^^^ We have a winner.

As a rule I dislike absolutes when it comes to seeking the truth. Even the relatively well established "truth" that "water boils at 212 Fahrenheit" fails to describe reality as it doesn't take into account variables such as the purity of the water and external pressure. (Water easily boils at room temperature if the pressure is low, etc.) Does anyone really think that there is a "one size fits all" solution for all BG encounters?

After WWII the Russians were using their captured German scientists to help create atomic bombs. The Germans were excited that they had created weapons grade material of a much higher purity than was needed while the Russians were pissed that they had wasted valuable resources - including time - refining the material past what was needed for a big boom.

A shot fired in haste may not hit the target but if it buys you time it isn't necessarily wasted, either.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I vote hailstorm of accuracy.

I agree with this. I do have 1 question though. How many of you guys have head to head competitions in events like bowling pin shoots or other live fire events where it's you against someone else? You find out real quick, who the top dog is. The way I see it is, you get sloppy and you get dead. Nuff said..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Mav said it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I vote hailstorm of accuracy.

I agree with this. I do have 1 question though. How many of you guys have head to head competitions in events like bowling pin shoots or other live fire events where it's you against someone else? You find out real quick, who the top dog is. The way I see it is, you get sloppy and you get dead. Nuff said..

...believe when I tell you gunfighting is a whole nother animal. Bowling pins aren't shooting back and if you loose you don't die.

Go do a building search sometime for real....it is a whole different mindset when you know you could be carried out if you screw up.

Bob

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,517
Posts18,472,450
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.