Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by brymoore
I still want to hear about Formidilosus' program. The physical ability it took for his elk hunt was impressive.

I'd like to read that thread, do you remember where it is?

Always good to hear "what works" from people who put the theory into practice.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smokepole
I still want to hear about Formidilosus' program. The physical ability it took for his elk hunt was impressive.

You mean by serving your country....?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Be advised, its bastardized Crossfit. The barbell advice varies from passable to "sucks balls". The advice on running form totally FUBAR:

www.25idl.army.mil/PT/rawptguide_bp.pdf‎

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[/quote]All dark haired guys of medium build with no distinguishing marks on the body. [/quote]

This is hysterical. If you ever hung around any Dam Neck guys, you'd think you were at a tattoo convention.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Woodhits
[/quote]All dark haired guys of medium build with no distinguishing marks on the body.

This is hysterical. If you ever hung around any Dam Neck guys, you'd think you were at a tattoo convention. [/quote]

Like I said, Poot is living in 1972. At one time you could not be assigned to DET A in Berlin if you had a tat ANYWHERE. I've never worked around ST 6 guys, but the other SEALS are pretty much tatted up.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

You mean by serving your country....?

No, I mean by going on actual backpack hunts, killing big game animals, and hauling them out on one's back. The subject of the OP's post, and the subject of this forum, the backpack hunting forum.

Listening to anyone who doesn't do it opine on the subject is about like listening to a female NFL commentator talk about what it takes to play in the NFL.

She appears to know what she's talking about, and makes sense most of the time, but I'm not all that interested in her opinions.

Because she never played the game.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

The "game" huh? Got it....as opposed to doing [bleep] that isn't a "game".....like unazzing a helicopter with a five gallon water can in each hand, and carrying it for a mile, along with your 90# pack. You're right, that means I probably don't know [bleep] about your "game".

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/19/14. Reason: spellin
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8333940/1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
I've been doing squats, bench, and running. Not the most glamourous workouts, but I can really see the different when toting my heavy saw up hillsides to cut firewood or tossing big rounds up on my shoulder to haul back to the truck.

My biggest issue always was that no matter how much "cardio" and bodyweight exercises I did, I was never strong enough to carry a 30lb pack up 2k+ feet in elevation without my legs getting fatigued and my cardio basically not being enough. (off trail) Hoping as I get my legs stronger, I'll be able to do steady climbs up steep mountains without being wiped out and soaked in sweat when I get to the top.

I think squats are the most important lifting exercise for backpacking. I've trained for hunts by simply running (I've run a marathon), Px-90 and by combing lifting (Starting Strength) and hiking w/pack. The lifiting/hiking combo proved to be the best overall exercise. Running alone left me weak - unable to push with a pack. PX-90 left me in my worse cardio shape in years. My current program is to lift three days a weak with 2-3 days of hiking w/a pack. I've started including HIIT sprints into the mix but my long distance running days are over.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

The "game" huh? Got it....as opposed to doing [bleep] that isn't a "game".....like unazzing a helicopter with a five gallon water can in each hand, and carrying it for a mile, along with your 90# pack. You're right, that means I probably don't know [bleep] about your "game".

Exactly. You talk a good game though.

When I was a kid, I helped my dad in the fields, planting all kinds of stuff including sweet potatoes. When you plant those, you have to water 'em in with a lot of water. The well was a few hundred yards from the patch, and the water got there in five-gallon buckets, carried by yours truly.

Back and forth for 3-4 hours at a time. I was around 12 then. I was an expert on what it takes to backpack hunt, and never even knew it.

My dad by the way was a decorated WWII vet. Presidential Unit Citation for the Battle of Kilay Ridge. Same with my older brother, decorated for valor in Viet Nam. I've always been extremely proud of those guys. Especially the way they comported themselves whenever the subject came up.

My dad never wanted to talk about it. He'd just shrug his shoulders and say "that's what everybody did, it was nothing special." But the framed Citation on my office wall says different, his unit captured a ridge in the rear of the Japanese position and they were desperate to re-capture it. Hand-to-hand combat and under constant fire for 20+ days in a row. I keep it there to remind me of him and his sacrifices. My brother would only reluctantly dissuss his exploits, and only when prodded. That's the thing I'm most proud of.

bry, thanks for the link. I always enjoy reading about actual backpack hunts.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Try adding Tabata squats once weekly to your routine. 20seconds of squats, 10seconds rest, eight rounds. I do 14 squats per round. As for what a squat should look like:

But really, this doesn't have anything to do with going to gay-azz CO and killing an elk, but it might keep you out of a nursing home, not that that would be an important consideration.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
But really, this doesn't have anything to do with going to gay-azz CO and killing an elk.....

You're right, this probably has more to do with jumping out of helicopters like you said, rather than going on an actual backpack hunt, for an actual big game animal.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
But really, this doesn't have anything to do with going to gay-azz CO and killing an elk.....

You're right, this probably has more to do with jumping out of helicopters like you said, rather than going on an actual backpack hunt, for an actual big game animal.

Then by all means, don't do it then. You should load 405 and go squat it cold, then go climb a cliff, swim a river and sharpen your knife with a rock, then stick it up your azz.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I would, but I just stuck it up yours. "It" is no longer available.

But don't let that stop you now, you're on a roll.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would, but I just stuck it up yours. "It" is no longer available.

But don't let that stop you now, you're on a roll.

L-A-M-E

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Your favorite fabric?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brymoore,

Agreed during my hockey years in college my hiking was astonishing. Coach had us doing insane levels of bike work

After that point in my life I took up running. Lots of miles, I enjoy running. However hiking suffered very bad.

Running is not gonna help leg strength unless it's all up hills. Went back to mountain biking and the legs came back. Still like running just for the pure enjoyment of it. But biking will develop the same muscles hiking and hockey require.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well said JJ. Luckly, I quit running when I moved here. And I had found the same things you did. Alot of running, even if it is 4 miles plus in 45 mins even in 100 degree weather simply doesn't compare to walking up and down. Today, I use a trail that's 1.1-1.2 miles long and drops 900 ft. I do it twice, about three times a week. On off days, I do some weight training, etc. I try my best to follow the Federal Food Guidelines.
I rarely get even a head cold. When I'm in Montana, elk hunting, and I'm reasonably rested, I can go all day and any place I want to go.
But, as I approach 70, I can't do it day after day. My general rule is two tough days, or maybe three days at less than wiped out, and I need a day off. More than that is OK too. I can go at least a week w/o any kind of workout and not loose anything. But after two weeks, I'm down some in performance.
Probably the biggest thing I've learned about staying in shape is that you need to know when to back off and make yourself do it. If it hurts, really hurts, you have gone too far. Pray it heals allows you to continue. Sometimes it will. But, if it doesn't, make yourself rest so the damage can heal. For me, that can be really hard. I love being active.
Anyway, interesting thread. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mark Twight trains on an Airdyne and rides a road bike up a mountain pass but he's not from CO, probably never killed an elk, therefore he don't know [bleep] about getting around in the mountains.

http://www.gymjones.com/gym/disciple/1/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bet if you asked Mark Twight what it takes to backpack hunt, he'd say, " I've never done it, but I'm an expert".......

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 58 invisible), 3,207 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,838
Posts18,517,124
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.