Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Today had the pleasure of making lunch for some folks from the dry side...OK. This was a simple meal but tasty.
<br>
<br>First I purchased several 4-5" Portobelo mushrooms removed the stems and oiled them with seasoned olive oil. Next I placed them under the broiler for a few minutes until they were just hot. I also purchased some ocean scallops, prawns and small oysters, didn't have time to get to the beach. So I sauted the scallops in olive oil and butter along with the oysters until just browned sprinkled with fresh ground pepper and set aside. Next I sauted the prawns in olive oil and butter with red pepper flakes sprinkled in. Then I placed a scallop in the middle of the mushroom and arranged a half dozen shrimp radially around the scallop on the mushrooms gills. lastly around the outside of the mushroom on the plate a half dozen oysters were placed around the mushroom. With this on the plate I sprinkled goat cheese and returned to the broiler to melt the cheese. Served with fresh sourdough rolls and chilled pickled aspargus spears. That was lunch.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bullwnkl,
<br>You are hired! Next hunt camp I sponsor, I'll fly you in to cook.

Lin Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My mouth is watering. Scallop season just re-opened here, in Florida, after several years of closure. Yet, all I have for supper is a fresh-caught spotted sea trout and a flounder. So, "Master of the Chef's Hat", (and, I say that with respect), how would you recommend I prepare them???

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ah Mr Porky... Flounder is a favorite of mine as are most flat fish, I prefer them cooked in a little oil at high temp as the oil will allow with out burning or smoking, I like a mix of good olive oil and salted butter. of course flounder are cooked as a fillet. I use only pepper as a seasoning, fresh ground is best, cook until flakey not until crumbly serve with fresh salad and rasberry dressing on salad a side dish of anglehair noodles tossed with butter and graded hard cheese of your choise and a good small French roll, toss in a strawberry short cake for desert.
<br>
<br>Trout is another story if the fish is firm like our cold water rainbows then I either like them baked or bar-b-qued. If you fish is big enough to fillit try this:
<br> place fillit on plate skin side down and give it a nuke in the microwave for 15-45 seconds depends on how thick the fish is. Have a hot pan that is lightly oiled or a non stick pan at the ready, flip the fish in skin side up. If you nuked it long enough the skin will now fall off if not don't wory it will when you turn it over but you will have to turn it twice to get the skin off and expose the natural fish oil which you want to cook the fish in it has a great flavor for salmonoids. Again I pepper only.
<br>In a second clean pan fry up some good yellow hominy salt and pepper to taste, a fruit salad and garlic bread.
<br>
<br>To bake Trout wrap in foil toss in some fresh onion...no onion powder...that stuff is bad ju ju..a little olive oil salt and pepper some tyme sprigs seal up in foil and bake . I cook by smell and sight so I can not give you any times required to get it done.
<br>Good luck.
<br>
<br>Oh yeah Lobster medalions or meat of your choise works on the portobelo.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Winky the specks that Porky is talking about are not like rainbows. I think the correct name is spotted weakfish but every body calls them specks or speckled trout. They are better fried than broiled or baked. Fall apart when you do it that way.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
also winky you might want to check porkys profile . tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thank you Tom, my appologies to PorkyPooh for the foopah.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Lin Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks!!! The flounder and the "SPOTTED SEA TROUT" were delicious. I appreciate the recipe and have added it to my collection of favorites.
<br>Spotted Sea Trout is a mild tasting fish found in the grass flats off Florida's Gulf Coast. The "keeper" size limitation is not less than 15" or more than 20", except one fish over 20" per person.

Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
What did I do with the stems from the Portobelo schrooms. Well I made up a little appatizer I chopped up the stems into tine 1/8 " cubes more or less then put them into a fry pan, nonstick. added about 1/3 by volume chopped onion, Walla Walla Sweet, some pepper a little, 5-6 ground up Ritz crackers, a chopped up basil leaf, a small clove of chopped garlic and a pinch of Kosher salt. All cooked in a tblspn or so of peanut oil.
<br>
<br>Next hollow out a couple vine ripe or equal tomatos and stuff with mix, top with motzarella cheese and broil until cheese melts and just browns. Serve eithe hot or cold, hot seems best. I do not eat tomatos unless they are sause or katsup.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bullwinkl, I thought I was the only wierdo out there who at katsup and tomato sauce (LOVE salsa), but can't stand tomatos (grin).

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somethin' strange about a feller that chows down on fungus and fish guts and won't eat 'maters. [Linked Image]
<br>BCR

Last edited by Boggy Creek Ranger; 08/27/02.

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Boggy !!!! you callin me strange from a feller who eats turkey nuts....You know some one once said you are what you eat...what do think he had in mind[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image] Takes one to know one [Linked Image]

Quando Omni Moritati
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
[Linked Image] YUP[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Business as usual

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (35, 10Glocks, 375TN, 6mmCreedmoor, 308ld, 8 invisible), 1,564 guests, and 844 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,904
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.