Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I don't get all the hype over bricks of 22 ammo. Are they afraid of a squirrel invasion?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Now you're almost sounding like a junk bond salesman. You want the retailers to raise their prices so that the gougers can continue to sell their supply at inflated prices too ?

What's your plan?

Travis

The gougers would no longer be incentivised if the price was equal everywhere. Of course, then we would all be paying $75 a brick. Yeah, that's a great plan.

laffin. Outside of punching gougers in the head, there's not a whole lot one can do to discourage greed. Other than that, I guess gun shops could ration ammo, and I think they have to some degree, but that hasn't been working so great either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Calvin
I don't get all the hype over bricks of 22 ammo. Are they afraid of a squirrel invasion?

That's a very good point. I mean who was the genius that decided this shortage would be about 22 LR ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 700LH
Should rental prices be the same in the N. Dakota oil fields as they were 5 or 10 years ago?

I'm not advocating this price or that price, I'm saying in fairness we need to take care of each other and society as a whole.
We all agree we need politicians that look after our interests as a country, but how about each of us? We howl about Democrats and their greed and self-interest, but how about us?
Hate to say it, but they're a representation of what this society is producing. It's us.

Laughin'...

Tell me again how you think the lack of product can be addressed?

Travis

I'm advocating returning to a time where we value others needs, not just our own. It's a foreign concept to most of us, myself included, but not unprecedented in history.

America is self-destructing in a little over 200 years. Why not look at the root of the problem? This isn't about 22LR, that's just a manifestation of the problem on a minuscule scale. It's not about Democrats.

The real problem is human nature unchecked, unrestrained by the Word of God. A society that rejects what God values. Pretty straight forward, not hard to see if you're not blind. I don't mean that in a condescending way. The Bible says those that haven't been enabled by the Holy Spirit are blind.

Man, that's going to go over like a pregnant high jumper carrying a volkswagen. crazy

LOL
40O Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This little bubble created by the gougers is not capitalism. If Walmart, Cabelas, etc. raised their rates to demand the max the market could bear that would be capitalism. Frankly, I'd rather see the people who contribute to manufacturing, distribution, marketing and sales make the profit. listening to the unemployed losers who can afford to spend the work day looking for .22lr and buying it up is annoying as all hell.

P.S., anybody know why Walmart, Cabelas, etc. haven't gotten into the gouging game?

"What I was saying is if my kin folk 400 years ago had guns, we wouldn�t be having this conversation. I�m in favor of guns and encourage everyone I know to have them because the last time we didn�t have them we were abused.�
Rep.Mitchell.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You fellas aren't making the distinction between market and black market which "gouging" is. There is always a black market for nearly every product. Think moonshine, counterfeit products from China, or more above board stuff like .22lr or Beaney Babies.

When demand is high it creates shortages that drives prices up. The normal market stays static because their suppliers have kept costs from rising. In fact, the suppliers are making more money then ever working around the clock to get ahead. The normal market simply waits for more supply, thus keeping their prices normal.

Demand will diminish in time as ammo manufacturers catch up. Then the black marketeers will be on to the next "must have" item. It isn't Capitalism, because it doesn't play by the same rules. they don't pay taxes, manufacturing, or distribution costs. They pay retail and depend on emotion driving sales.

Same thing happened with ARs last year. Black marketeers took advantage of the Newtown emotion and sold a ton of $800 rifles for $3K. The other side is the guys that "that have to have one, no matter what" and are sitting on a $3000 Bushmaster. Good luck getting your money outta that.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Q
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Q
Flintlocks, black powder, and roll-yer-own lead balls. No shortage yet. But give the gov. some time.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!

"It's not a matter of legislating morality; it's a question of whose morality gets legislated"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
irrational exuberance drives things up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a bubble market.

I stop at a store or two a week and have been able to pick up a 525 bulk pack or 100ct box or two every month at regular retail prices.

No fuggin' way I would pay $75 a brick when stores still stock it at $25. I'd take up golf.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just wish I had cash right now. I'd be into making something - bullets, powder, loaded ammo... anything!

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by RDFinn

laffin. Outside of punching gougers in the head, there's not a whole lot one can do to discourage greed. Other than that, I guess gun shops could ration ammo, and I think they have to some degree, but that hasn't been working so great either.

Gun shops have been rationing for a year now. It does not work.

To bring supply back we do not need to destroy one of the deadly sins. We only have to close the gap between market price and what retailers are selling for.

My plan does that. So what is your plan?

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I'm not advocating this price or that price, I'm saying in fairness we need to take care of each other and society as a whole.
We all agree we need politicians that look after our interests as a country, but how about each of us? We howl about Democrats and their greed and self-interest, but how about us?
Hate to say it, but they're a representation of what this society is producing. It's us.

I know you are from Oregon, so let me help you out here...

The retailers have been trying to take care of the shooting community and its customers as a whole. That is why they have been getting cleaned out for a year now.

Hope you comprehend this.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
For you folks that are bitching and complaining that you can't find 22LR ammo at decent prices, could be your looking in the wrong place. I had 2800 rounds delivered TYD for 5.8 cents per round last week. That's about $30.00 per brick.
I've got 3000 rounds on backorder that's at that price, but that order was placed 3 months ago - and it's not here yet...

Methinks it might show up in July or August...

Maybe..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there is gonna be a lot of $80 bricks laying next to $3k Bushmasters in people's closets real soon. laugh

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
CharlieFoxTrot hit the nail on the head: There's a difference between "market" and "black market."

The only way a black market exists is when demand far exceeds supply. This happens when supply decreases or when demand increases.

In this instance supply didn't diminish. Instead Obama got reelected and somehow a bunch of shooters KNEW he was going to pass a bunch of new anti-gun laws. A few weeks later the Connecticut school shooting occurred, and the panic grew even more.

At first the rumor was the Feds were buying up all the ammo, especially .223, but six months later .223 ammo was suddenly everywhere again.

Yes, the factories are making as much rimfire ammo as ever, actually even more. But because it all gets bought up the first day it arrives at any store, most people buy far more than they ever did. Folks who'd buy a box or two when they wanted to go shoot a little now buy a brick or two every time they get a chance. Folks who used to buy a brick or two when it was on sale now buy bricks at $75--and usually not from a store.

The rimfire panic now is due to the black market that prevents stores from keeping ammo in stock, not Obama passing any new gun laws.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

You cannot stop somebody from being in need of a product. You also can't control the supply. You can't stop people from not going to work and hitting Wal-Mart every morning. You can't stop them from bringing their friends to purchase the max amount.

The only way you will see inventory come back in a short amount of time is for the retailers to price the product according to what the market has shown people will pay. Unless that happens, the shortage will continue.

Tell them to log onto Gunbroker and see what schit is selling for. Remind them that is THEIR product selling for those prices.
Give me a solution that doesn't involve imaginations and fairy tales and I'll be all ears. Until then, the only solution I see is retailers raising prices.

Travis

This right here.

(WTF? did someone else hijack your screen name?)

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And the panic will subside, the black market will dry up, and those $80 bricks will still be in the closet next to the $3k Bushmasters.

Buy high and sell low seems to be the mantra of most gun show patrons.

None of this is new.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I think there is gonna be a lot of $80 bricks laying next to $3k Bushmasters in people's closets real soon. laugh

"If you die first we're splitting up your gear." grin

And it won't be at "market" prices. grin

Last edited by BarryC; 01/22/14. Reason: dang auto-mangle! :)

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BarryC
Originally Posted by MadMooner

"If you die first we're spitting up your gear." grin

And it won't be at "market" prices. grin

Good luck swallowing it?

Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,603 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,699
Posts18,534,626
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.