Home
Posted By: STA Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
I just got my ten year old girl a Ruger sr22 and we shot up what little bit of 22lr I had. So went to the gun store it pick some up and they wanted 79.99 for a brick of American Eagel redbox. This crap makes me sick....
Posted By: RyanTX Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
So, did you pay it?
That's their asking price---you determine how much you will pay. Think of it this way---people who only bought ammunition they plan on using a few days before they intended to use it and only bought enough for that outing are just caught up in their own short sightedness. It's much like the people who go to the grocery store and only buy the things they plan on cooking/eating the next day.

I like to have some food/ammo/clothes bought up just in case....
Posted By: STA Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
No I'm waiting for my regular gun dealer to get back from shot show.
Originally Posted by MColeman
That's their asking price---you determine how much you will pay.
And they determine whether to sell or not..

With the shortage/demand there is now - they're holdin' four aces..
Sorry about the rant but it's just sad to see people in the gun business doing this type of thing.
That's their asking price---you determine how much you will pay. Think of it this way---people who only bought ammunition they plan on using a few days before they intended to use it and only bought enough for that outing are just caught up in their own short sightedness. It's much like the people who go to the grocery store and only buy the things they plan on cooking/eating the next day.

I was told that 22ammo don't have as good a shelf life as the old 22ammo of the past? Is this true? Thanks smile
Posted By: mog75 Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Nope. It is useless after 90 days. Duds . whistle
That is indeed insane. Like said before - I've pulled the guns out of my safe and put the ammo in there.
Ok 90day...hmmm.... My 10year old and I just shot up some 22 ammo that was 15years old that was a 100% but when we shot the 17hmr that's 3years old we had several duds...
I was told that 22ammo don't have as good a shelf life as the old 22ammo of the past? Is this true? Thanks

Very true and I'm running a no cost disposal company now. Route it over and I'll see that it's taken care of.
Posted By: mog75 Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
whistle I was kidding.
Lol if you pay 100.00 shipping per box of 50ct I will send you some...smiles.....
every time i read one of these threads, i think of quite a while back when a local sporting goods store was going out of business.
5k of federal .22lr for about 55bucks.
I got into a similar case of remington peters from the 60's a few years back, and i think it is BETTER than the stuff they mass market today.
at least it has enough smoke in it to propel the slug to 100yards.
I haven't bought .22 lr in quite some time. Pretty sad that kids these days won't be able to afford shooting 100's of rounds of .22 anymore.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
The problem with this scalping is that there are idiots out there who will pay the price. As long as numbskulls keep paying scalper prices, scalpers will keep right on scalping and there will be no availability of normally priced ammo.
Originally Posted by jnyork
The problem with this scalping is that there are idiots out there who will pay the price. As long as numbskulls keep paying scalper prices, scalpers will keep right on scalping and there will be no availability of normally priced ammo.

Unfortunately there's a lot of people out there that don't understand this rather simple concept.

This is the answer. grin
Use the ammo search bots and get stuff on back order and get in line to buy. By paying attention I have added to my ammo supply at an average cost of .06 cents per round or less. Watch sales, specials and ways to order at lower costs. If you are near a Cabelas you can get it shipped to the store free. Another on liner had ammo at $2.99 box of 50 with limit of 10 boxes. It is possible to get ammo at decent prices.
got some for $23 a brick recently, LGS, know the owner, brought me over two bricks and a case of 7 mm mag.

makes me glad for the way I was raised. ergo we were raised that shopping wasn't a spectator sport, you either needed something or you didn't

sooo many years later about every time I went into Guns down under, to look at new and used firearms, with no real intent to buy unless I found something I couldn't live without, I'd buy a brick of Rem Thunderbolt for $9.99 a brick, just to be polite.

lasted quite awhile even after my kids got to shooting age, but got nurney about our supplies in the last year or so.

in SW MO I just missed getting some of the 525 packs at the WalMart, I was about the 5th guy in line, they got 10 of those packs in with a 3 pack maximum, 3 guys got 3 and then the 3rd gave up his spot to the 4th guy and he bought it. IIRC it was around 23-25 bucks too.

good luck in finding some ammo, it really sucks not to be able to take kids shooting
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Originally Posted by STA
Sorry about the rant but it's just sad to see people in the gun business doing this type of thing.

Agreed.
Don't think of it as gouging. Think of it as the current price.

Travis
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
I prefer to think of it as scumbags just being scumbags. Why should the "shooting community" be any different.
Posted By: temmi Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
I don't buy at more than 10%-15% of 2012's price

Snake
Posted By: ronc Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Originally Posted by STA
I just got my ten year old girl a Ruger sr22 and we shot up what little bit of 22lr I had. So went to the gun store it pick some up and they wanted 79.99 for a brick of American Eagel redbox. This crap makes me sick....

You should really think twice about shooting your stash next time.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Originally Posted by whelenndealin
I haven't bought .22 lr in quite some time. Pretty sad that kids these days won't be able to afford shooting 100's of rounds of .22 anymore.

If they want to shoot they will pay it, if they want to drive they will pay the price of gas. Like joy rides in the country, the days of blowing through a brick of .22 on a Sunday afternoon for 12 bucks are over. I think when the dust finally settles, $30-$40 a brick will be the price.
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I prefer to think of it as scumbags just being scumbags. Why should the "shooting community" be any different.

How much should they sell it for?

Travis
Who, the scumbags ? When you buy up [bleep] and sell it for 3x what you paid for it, you're in solid scumbag territory.
+1

So where should the line be drawn? The dividing line between being a good Capitalist and a Scumbag.?

10% Profit.?
20%
35%
100%..?
Posted By: byc Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

You mean the new price!? wink

Face it boys there's a new price on 22's and I would say it will settle in the 50 bucks per brick range. Did you ever stop and think that maybe you were simply getting a really good deal before? Everything from fuel to labor costs have increased. Why should 22's be immune to the increased costs to manufacture goods?
Posted By: ronc Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Originally Posted by gunchamp
+1

The problem is your complaining about a known issue.
Not really. I get bricks for $25 to $35 pretty regularly now. Can't get it every time I go, so stop in at more stores more often now.

Best advice, DON'T BUY IT if you don't like the price. And if the price is good and you don't need it, buy it anyway and offer to friends and youth organizations.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Originally Posted by byc

Travis

You mean the new price!? wink

Face it boys there's a new price on 22's and I would say it will settle in the 50 bucks per brick range. Did you ever stop and think that maybe you were simply getting a really good deal before? Everything from fuel to labor costs have increased. Why should 22's be immune to the increased costs to manufacture goods?

People love the fact that when they take their scrap brass and copper to the metal recycler they get 5 times the price they got ten years ago. Doesn't sink in that new brass and copper products have to go up to cover the additional expense.

Oh yeah, the "shooting community" is no different. Scumbags that gouge ammo. Scumbags that take money for a scope and don't send it. Scumbags that send something other than described. Scumbags all.

Some people are raised different. If I tried that scumbag behavior when I was a kid my old man would have booted me in the ass but good.
When I was first buying 22 ammo, I worked all winter delivering papers on a paper route. All my money was saved to buy 22 ammo that cost 55-65 cents a box for 50 rounds. Gasoline was 33 cents/gallon then.

After I got married, I kept buying 22 ammo at an average cost of $8.50-$9.00/carton of 500 or about 85-90 cents/box of 50. Gasoline was then around 65-70 cents/gallon.

Today, gasoline is about $3.00-$3.25/gallon, an increase of almost 10X that of what it was when I was buying 22 ammo at 55-65 cents/box.

Simple math would say that a box of 22 ammo should cost about 9 to 10X what it did when I was a paperboy which would be $5.50-$6.50/box of 50 or about $55.00 to $65.00/carton of 500.

Gouging hasn't occurred, the ability to keep everything in perspective has been forgotten.

2 things can be realized from this; gasoline is not any more expensive in relation to how much labor it takes to earn that gallon of gas than it did over 40 years ago, neither has the labor cost of a box of 22 ammo. Just because something has not increased at the standard rate of inflation doesn't mean it is a bad deal to actually pay the commensurate rate for the ammo. Be happy you can still get it, and be certain it will slowly become more available and at an un-inflated price when it stabilizes.

Buy it and shoot it, and stop this infernal gouging, whining syndrome...
It's not just the scumbag pricing, but also the fact that you have a hard time even finding any. How many posts have we seen here where some poor bastard is just trying to locate ammo so he/she can take their kid(s) shooting ? How about hunter/shooter education courses ?
Randy,
Gimme a few days to get back to town.
For a kid I can probably spare a 500 round can.
P.M me.
Mike
I ask because I have a bunch. If you think I'm selling what I have, for 2012 prices, you are high. So what is a fair price?

Travus
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/21/14
Why aren't you on the NBTE???
I'd like to see some for sale around here, at any price.
Ah the defination of fair. Now the is an interesting thought. And I don't want fair, I want unfair in my favor.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Why aren't you on the NBTE???

Because my absence will lower attendance thereby punishing Rick for his evil sorcery.

Travis
Did he put sand in your mangina, or are you just mad cause he re-captured some bandwidth?

We miss you�..
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Ah the defination of fair. Now the is an interesting thought. And I don't want fair, I want unfair in my favor.

Me too. And my family shoots a lot. So if I am going to have me and my kids kill less gophers this season, the potential buyer will have to make it worth my while.

The market will determine price.

Travis
Did he put sand in your mangina, or are you just mad cause he re-captured some bandwidth?

We miss you�..

I feel he overstepped his bounds.

Iceman
Perhaps the shooting community needs to do some policing of its own ranks, shunning the hoarders, gougers and the knumbknuts who pay gouger's prices. A broadbased economic boycot of sorts, expose the dirtbags responsible for the current dilemma. We should not be hearing of individuals reported on this forum who have .22 hoards of 10K rounds. No one has any legitimate need for that much ammo, it is just GREED pure and simple, absolutely no consideration for their fellow shooters be they young or old.
Originally Posted by mikeone
Randy,
Gimme a few days to get back to town.
For a kid I can probably spare a 500 round can.
P.M me.
Mike

Thanks Mike, that's first class right there. I will find some ammo here at home. This is what I like about the campfire lots of good people!
... overstepped his bounds.

Iceman

Kinda like somebody thinking their mere presence will increase number of posters etc�?

Snork�. grin

Only I can do that�..
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Perhaps the shooting community needs to do some policing of its own ranks, shunning the hoarders, gougers and the knumbknuts who pay gouger's prices. A broadbased economic boycot of sorts, expose the dirtbags responsible for the current dilemma. We should not be hearing of individuals reported on this forum who have .22 hoards of 10K rounds. No one has any legitimate need for that much ammo, it is just GREED pure and simple, absolutely no consideration for their fellow shooters be they young or old.

You want me to boycott people that pay current prices so their kids can shoot, and boycott stores that charge what they need to charge in order to maintain some level of inventory?

Why would I do that?

Travis
... overstepped his bounds.

Iceman

Kinda like somebody thinking their mere presence will increase number of posters etc�?

Snork�. grin

Only I can do that�..

You're arrogant.

Iceman

Unbelievable....
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Unbelievable....

when i was in high school i was prolly going through 10,000 rounds between April and October.....thats only 20 bricks.....not that much ammo when you have a ton of ground squirrels and a bored teenager.....
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

Unbelievable....

Very...

Travis
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
Not really. I get bricks for $25 to $35 pretty regularly now. Can't get it every time I go, so stop in at more stores more often now.

Best advice, DON'T BUY IT if you don't like the price. And if the price is good and you don't need it, buy it anyway and offer to friends and youth organizations.
This is great advice. I'm lucky enough to be one of those who has a good stash. I am finding bricks at the normal range. I just picked up 3 bricks for $25 each. Its there if you look carefully. Stop paying the ridiculous $60-$100 a brick price and it will go away. Look at 223. It was $1000 a case last year at one time. I can get federal 556 for $389 per 1000 now. People stopped paying retarded prices and the bottom fell out.
I got puh-lenty of rimfire put away. I was just like another poster in this thread. I would stop every Friday at a shop here and BS and check out what consignments came in.

I felt like a needed to buy a 100 ct of orange see-thru maxi-mags just to be polite. Probably have 40-50 of those in a dark closet.

Really though- I can't wait till the bulk [bleep] comes back available. I'm gonna wear Academy Sports out like a Lot Lizard.

Just to be a dick.
Some of you also need to look at it this way. You guys say that gouging isn't happening and trust me I'm not against capitalism. Gouging in my book is ammo is showing up at $25-$30 a brick, but the gougers are beating everyone there, buying it up and then resaling it for triple the price. That's not capitalism, that's almost a darn crime.
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Funny all these new entrepreneurs keep talking about "the market" but not how and who created "the market".
I'll stop off at the trailer park and load up all the toofless teens and send em in en-masse to buy "their" 3 box limit.

Screw it, I can assemble a great hoard with 24count flat of Monster energy drinks for their time.
Hey Travis, I'm reading the glock book. Pretty good read so far. Thank you for recommending.
Posted By: 40O Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
To all the armchair economists/piss ant capitalists who are talking about the �new price� for .22lr ��- if and when Cabelas, Brownells, midway, Basspro, Sportsmans, Wallmart and all the rest start selling it for 10 times what it cost last year that will be a market correction. What we have now is a bubble caused by people with part time jobs at such places arranging for their family and friends to be on hand to purchase all the .22lr so they can resell it at gouger prices. You ask me what is right/proper/fair? Let the manufacturers, middle people and big box stores raise prices and sell .22lr for what you gougers are trying to sell if for, let the profit flow to the real capitalist. Done and done.

P.S., I�ve got about 3000-4000 22lr on hand, but I also have three kids that just hit shooting age in the last couple of years. We were going to take the kids to the Appleseed shooting event last November, but decided not to because it would use up 1000-1500 rounds. (Two of the kids have already gone. My middle daughter is looking forward to her first time). We talk about needing to get kids into shooting, well .22lr is the primary introduction for the next generation of shooters. (Think Kant's categorical imperative).

Bottom line, the gougers are not capitalist, sportsmen, or anyone I�d like to hang around. Hell, most of the people involved don�t have jobs, how else could they arrange to be at the store when the shipments come in!
Originally Posted by 40O
To all the armchair economists/piss ant capitalists who are talking about the �new price� for .22lr ��- if and when Cabelas, Brownells, midway, Basspro, Sportsmans, Wallmart and all the rest start selling it for 10 times what it cost last year that will be a market correction. What we have now is a bubble caused by people with part time jobs at such places arranging for their family and friends to be on hand to purchase all the .22lr so they can resell it at gouger prices. You ask me what is right/proper/fair? Let the manufacturers, middle people and big box stores raise prices and sell .22lr for what you gougers are trying to sell if for, let the profit flow to the real capitalist. Done and done.

P.S., I�ve got about 3000-4000 22lr on hand, but I also have three kids that just hit shooting age in the last couple of years. We were going to take the kids to the Appleseed shooting event last November, but decided not to because it would use up 1000-1500 rounds. (Two of the kids have already gone. My middle daughter is looking forward to her first time). We talk about needing to get kids into shooting, well .22lr is the primary introduction for the next generation of shooters. (Think Kant's categorical imperative).

Bottom line, the gougers are not capitalist, sportsmen, or anyone I�d like to hang around. Hell, most of the people involved don�t have jobs, how else could they arrange to be at the store when the shipments come in!
I agree with this for the most part. If $60 a brick was the new price, then the retailers would be selling it for that. They are not, just the gougers.
For you folks that are bitching and complaining that you can't find 22LR ammo at decent prices, could be your looking in the wrong place. I had 2800 rounds delivered TYD for 5.8 cents per round last week. That's about $30.00 per brick.
Funny all these new entrepreneurs keep talking about "the market" but not how and who created "the market".

Funny how the only places that have ammo are the ones asking the current value.

Why anybody would insist a business take it in the ass for the sake of what things cost in 2012 is beyond me.

Travis
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Hey Travis, I'm reading the glock book. Pretty good read so far. Thank you for recommending.

It's a fun read.

Those boys were "gougers." grin

Travis
Originally Posted by MissouriEd
For you folks that are bitching and complaining that you can't find 22LR ammo at decent prices, could be your looking in the wrong place. I had 2800 rounds delivered TYD for 5.8 cents per round last week. That's about $30.00 per brick.

I picked up enough ammo for my two oldest to go to shooting camp online thanks to someone posting here on the fire. But truth be told, I've not gotten down and dirty putting in back orders and checking inventories every thirty minutes. I suppose it is time to teach the kids how to research and shop for ammo online. laugh LOL
Originally Posted by 40O

I picked up enough ammo for my two oldest to go to shooting camp online thanks to someone posting here on the fire. But truth be told, I've not gotten down and dirty putting in back orders and checking inventories every thirty minutes. I suppose it is time to teach the kids how to research and shop for ammo online. laugh LOL

That's the only way to do it. Teach them right.
Think of it this way---people who only bought ammunition they plan on using a few days before they intended to use it and only bought enough for that outing are just caught up in their own short sightedness. It's much like the people who go to the grocery store and only buy the things they plan on cooking/eating the next day.

Exactly . Just like the folks who only fill the gas tanks in their cars & trucks for what they'll use that week instead of planning ahead and having twin 550 gallon tanks in the backyard with a year or so's worth of gasoline.
Guess I have to quit my day job to be ready for when the opportunity strikes.............. grin
Posted By: mog75 Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
I think everyone who owns a firearm should quit their current job and make a living selling 22lr.
Posted By: byc Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Even better quit your day job and get a nite job as the factory 22 sales dude.
I think my next investment opportunity lies within a 75 mi radius of Harve, Montana. I'm thinking of buying every gas station in the tri-county area and in a brilliant marketing scheme, I'm going to raise the price of reg gas and diesel fuel to $9 a gallon.
Just raise the price of Bud Light and Miller Lite �.you'll make more that way�.
Guess I have to quit my day job to be ready for when the opportunity strikes.............. grin

Well you could plan ahead. There are opportunities every day.
I think my next investment opportunity lies within a 75 mi radius of Harve, Montana. I'm thinking of buying every gas station in the tri-county area and in a brilliant marketing scheme, I'm going to raise the price of reg gas and diesel fuel to $9 a gallon.

You can't. That market is regulated.

Travis
Just raise the price of Bud Light and Miller Lite �.you'll make more that way�.

I thought you guys saved that for special occasions ?
Don't put me in with those hi-line guys�I put in my time up there�.

That stuff in bottles is for special occasions�.

You can't. That market is regulated.

Travis

You mean there are anti-scumbag laws that prevent "capitalism" in that market........lol
Don't put me in with those hi-line guys�I put in my time up there�.

That stuff in bottles is for special occasions�.

Must be Geratol?
So that maybe we all can have some ammo. I'm not talking about paying current store prices so kids can shoot, I'm talking about paying someone at a gunshow $75.00+ for ammo they purchased at Walmart for less than half that. Neither do I have a problem with stores adding a mark-up they need to stay in business. Take a little more time than 4 minutes to let what I am saying to sink in before being so eager to post a response that does not accurately represent what I am trying to say. Paying gouger prices will only perpetuate the current situation, shoot your centerfire, pellet gun, bow or slingshot for heaven's sake. Give things time to settle down, let the opportunist resellers responsible for the inflatedd prices choke on their hoards of ammo.

You mean there are anti-scumbag laws that prevent "capitalism" in that market........lol

Correct.

Travis
So that maybe we all can have some ammo. I'm not talking about paying current store prices so kids can shoot, I'm talking about paying someone at a gunshow $75.00+ for ammo they purchased at Walmart for less than half that. Neither do I have a problem with stores adding a mark-up they need to stay in business. Take a little more time than 4 minutes to let what I am saying to sink in before being so eager to post a response that does not accurately represent what I am trying to say. Paying gouger prices will only perpetuate the current situation, shoot your centerfire, pellet gun, bow or slingshot for heaven's sake. Give things time to settle down, let the opportunist resellers responsible for the inflatedd prices choke on their hoards of ammo.

You cannot stop somebody from being in need of a product. You also can't control the supply. You can't stop people from not going to work and hitting Wal-Mart every morning. You can't stop them from bringing their friends to purchase the max amount.

The only way you will see inventory come back in a short amount of time is for the retailers to price the product according to what the market has shown people will pay. Unless that happens, the shortage will continue.

Cry all you want on the internet. Tell your friends how much it sucks. Me personally? I've told every retailer I know (including Wal-Mart) to raise their GD prices so things can start to return to normal. Tell them to log onto Gunbroker and see what schit is selling for. Remind them that is THEIR product selling for those prices.

RDFinn has a good analogy in regards to fuel. If all the gas stations were selling at $1.50 a gallon, how long do you think the gas stations would have gas?

Women bitch. Men have solutions. Give me a solution that doesn't involve imaginations and fairy tales and I'll be all ears. Until then, the only solution I see is retailers raising prices.

Travis
Dad was born 1918, a WWI baby. He was a young man during the depression. When my dad was growing up he said a major, distinct shift occurred in society, i.e. business/industry, that went from charging a fair price for products and services to charging as much as they could get away with. What we call "market" today. He theorized that high post WWII consumer demand had much to do with it.
I'm not saying greed wasn't around before the 30' or 40's.

When folks were content with 10% profit, or high rollers 20%, peoples self-restraint and sense of fairness ruled. Kind of a polite society if you will, each taking what he needed, but realizing the need to watch out for his neighbor as well contained an unspoken provision for maintaining the good of all society through restraint. People kept their greed in check.

Up to that time in our country humility was a valued personal trait. It is not valued today in America. In fact, arrogance is valued and esteemed. Look at gay activists, movie stars, captains of industry, all proud and arrogant.
Look how everyone pulled together in WWII, for the good of all.
We all know that society, and especially business, no longer gears itself to anything but the $$, and businesses are comprised of people.
Business has changed because people have changed. Greed now runs unchecked, and society is the worse for it. One hope is for our buying power to be our leverage, (don't pay it).

But better, we need moral, humble, God-fearing people in positions of influence in society and govt that will put the good of all above their own personal gain. And we each personally need to turn back.
Say what you will, I think we cannot have what we all seek without the "God-fearing" part of the equation.

We can now see where God-LESS-ness has taken our country in just 60 years. It's time to humble ourselves, each and every one.
We need to each take stock of our hearts and quit placing ourselves above everyone around us. It's a failed experiment.
+1 to the above posters comments, how true.
Now you're almost sounding like a junk bond salesman. You want the retailers to raise their prices so that the gougers can continue to sell their supply at inflated prices too ?
Posted By: 700LH Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
People kept their greed in check.

Just like the guy that bought up every shovel available in San Francisco as soon as he heard about the gold strike.

Originally Posted by 700LH
People kept their greed in check.

Just like the guy that bought up every shovel available in San Francisco as soon as he heard about the gold strike.

There are plenty of examples just like that. But isn't it funny that in retrospect, it offends our sensibilities to look at them today?
We inherently know what's right and wrong, and we recognize it. We've just chosen as a society to embrace it (greed et all), hence the damage we see all around us.
Should rental prices be the same in the N. Dakota oil fields as they were 5 or 10 years ago?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Originally Posted by Fireball2

There are plenty of examples just like that. But isn't it funny that in retrospect, it offends our sensibilities to look at them today?
We inherently know what's right and wrong, and we recognize it. We've just chosen as a society to embrace it, hence the damage we see all around us.

This post and your post before it make good points.
We inherently know what's right and wrong, and we recognize it. We've just chosen as a society to embrace it, hence the damage we see all around us.

Why should it "offend?"

Capitalism doesn't offend me, socialism does.
Should rental prices be the same in the N. Dakota oil fields as they were 5 or 10 years ago?

I'm not advocating this price or that price, I'm saying in fairness we need to take care of each other and society as a whole.
We all agree we need politicians that look after our interests as a country, but how about each of us? We howl about Democrats and their greed and self-interest, but how about us?
Hate to say it, but they're a representation of what this society is producing. It's us.

Why should it "offend?"

Capitalism doesn't offend me, socialism does.

I won't claim to know much about socialism, but it seems that socialism is a govt imposed, artificial form of self-restraint. Among other things! Haven't spent any time unpacking that one.

Paul Harvey said it best. "Self-government won't work without self-discipline".
What we have in this country is a lack of self-discipline, at best, or, an embracing of the more base human tendencies at worst.
I think the latter.

As far as not being offended by capitalism, you might be if your fuel cost $12 a gallon, or bread was $27 a loaf charged not on the basis of what's right and fair, but on the basis of extracting as much of your cash as possible.
Isn't that the rub of this entire thread? Greed?
Years ago I read something that stuck with me.
Israel had escaped slavery in Egypt and returned to their homeland. Some had plenty and loaned to some others in need, but at a 1/100th, or 1% interest on the money loaned.
The prophet of God, Nehemiah, reasoned that the lenders were enslaving their countrymen all over again, and demanded they stop. He made a very persuasive argument, true, but the key was the repentant hearts of the lenders that prompted them to agree and return the charges.

Effectively, our societal greed has enslaved each of us.

At that time, the good of all was more important to the overall health of society than the gain of a few. It was recognized, even by the few, and correction was made.

We have little of that sentiment today, and you can see exactly where it's leading us. It's only going to get worse until we turn back, as they did.

If God says it, that's good enough for me. I trust Him.

You can read the amazing account in Nehemiah 5 in the Bible. it's a fascinating read.
I can look at this a lot of different ways. My beginning experience was at the beginning of desert storm One when i found out couldn't get small rifle primers, or projectiles. Vowed never again. And i have seen it come in waves in past years, supply and no supply, but constantly higher prices.
So I have been pretty much immune to the last year.
It isn't like one couldn't see it coming. A friend of mine put about 50k into ammo, sold all of it, and doubled his money.
There were people literally driving all night from out of state to get .22lr at 75 a brick. He had it, they wanted it, he suppied it.
In a prior meltdown, it was primers at 100bucks per thousand, people paid it.
That is capitalism in it's pure form.
while primers are pretty much available around here i choke when i see the going price of 37.50 per thousand.
One should learn from this, and if supply opens up not to get caught short again. Like not having an electrical generator with a hurricane blowing in.
A real world example of this principle that all of you can relate to-

My FFL sold me two rifles, a Marlin 336 in .219 Zipper, market value north of $1000, and a Ruger 96 17HMR, market value $700. I do a good deal of business with him, and he appreciates it and the other business I send his way.
He offered me both for $900. I told him they were worth more, and his response was, "I'm fine at that price".

He had stored them for a fee for two years and so had collected some money for their storage, and so discounted the sale price to me. In other words, he acted in both our interests, and not just his own.
Now you're almost sounding like a junk bond salesman. You want the retailers to raise their prices so that the gougers can continue to sell their supply at inflated prices too ?

What's your plan?

Travis

What's your plan?

Travis

The gougers would no longer be incentivised if the price was equal everywhere. Of course, then we would all be paying $75 a brick. Yeah, that's a great plan.

I'm not advocating this price or that price, I'm saying in fairness we need to take care of each other and society as a whole.
We all agree we need politicians that look after our interests as a country, but how about each of us? We howl about Democrats and their greed and self-interest, but how about us?
Hate to say it, but they're a representation of what this society is producing. It's us.

Laughin'...

Tell me again how you think the lack of product can be addressed?

Travis

What's your plan?

Travis

The gougers would no longer be incentivised if the price was equal everywhere. Of course, then we would all be paying $75 a brick. Yeah, that's a great plan.

Beats the [bleep] out of your tears.

Travis
Posted By: Calvin Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
I don't get all the hype over bricks of 22 ammo. Are they afraid of a squirrel invasion?

What's your plan?

Travis

laffin. Outside of punching gougers in the head, there's not a whole lot one can do to discourage greed. Other than that, I guess gun shops could ration ammo, and I think they have to some degree, but that hasn't been working so great either.
Originally Posted by Calvin
I don't get all the hype over bricks of 22 ammo. Are they afraid of a squirrel invasion?

That's a very good point. I mean who was the genius that decided this shortage would be about 22 LR ammo.

Laughin'...

Tell me again how you think the lack of product can be addressed?

Travis

I'm advocating returning to a time where we value others needs, not just our own. It's a foreign concept to most of us, myself included, but not unprecedented in history.

America is self-destructing in a little over 200 years. Why not look at the root of the problem? This isn't about 22LR, that's just a manifestation of the problem on a minuscule scale. It's not about Democrats.

The real problem is human nature unchecked, unrestrained by the Word of God. A society that rejects what God values. Pretty straight forward, not hard to see if you're not blind. I don't mean that in a condescending way. The Bible says those that haven't been enabled by the Holy Spirit are blind.

Man, that's going to go over like a pregnant high jumper carrying a volkswagen. crazy
This little bubble created by the gougers is not capitalism. If Walmart, Cabelas, etc. raised their rates to demand the max the market could bear that would be capitalism. Frankly, I'd rather see the people who contribute to manufacturing, distribution, marketing and sales make the profit. listening to the unemployed losers who can afford to spend the work day looking for .22lr and buying it up is annoying as all hell.

P.S., anybody know why Walmart, Cabelas, etc. haven't gotten into the gouging game?
You fellas aren't making the distinction between market and black market which "gouging" is. There is always a black market for nearly every product. Think moonshine, counterfeit products from China, or more above board stuff like .22lr or Beaney Babies.

When demand is high it creates shortages that drives prices up. The normal market stays static because their suppliers have kept costs from rising. In fact, the suppliers are making more money then ever working around the clock to get ahead. The normal market simply waits for more supply, thus keeping their prices normal.

Demand will diminish in time as ammo manufacturers catch up. Then the black marketeers will be on to the next "must have" item. It isn't Capitalism, because it doesn't play by the same rules. they don't pay taxes, manufacturing, or distribution costs. They pay retail and depend on emotion driving sales.

Same thing happened with ARs last year. Black marketeers took advantage of the Newtown emotion and sold a ton of $800 rifles for $3K. The other side is the guys that "that have to have one, no matter what" and are sitting on a $3000 Bushmaster. Good luck getting your money outta that.
Posted By: Qtip Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Flintlocks, black powder, and roll-yer-own lead balls. No shortage yet. But give the gov. some time.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
irrational exuberance drives things up.
It's a bubble market.

I stop at a store or two a week and have been able to pick up a 525 bulk pack or 100ct box or two every month at regular retail prices.

No fuggin' way I would pay $75 a brick when stores still stock it at $25. I'd take up golf.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
I just wish I had cash right now. I'd be into making something - bullets, powder, loaded ammo... anything!

laffin. Outside of punching gougers in the head, there's not a whole lot one can do to discourage greed. Other than that, I guess gun shops could ration ammo, and I think they have to some degree, but that hasn't been working so great either.

Gun shops have been rationing for a year now. It does not work.

To bring supply back we do not need to destroy one of the deadly sins. We only have to close the gap between market price and what retailers are selling for.

My plan does that. So what is your plan?

Travis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHHj8IavEjk

I know you are from Oregon, so let me help you out here...

The retailers have been trying to take care of the shooting community and its customers as a whole. That is why they have been getting cleaned out for a year now.

Hope you comprehend this.

Travis

I've got 3000 rounds on backorder that's at that price, but that order was placed 3 months ago - and it's not here yet...

Methinks it might show up in July or August...

Maybe..
I think there is gonna be a lot of $80 bricks laying next to $3k Bushmasters in people's closets real soon. laugh
CharlieFoxTrot hit the nail on the head: There's a difference between "market" and "black market."

The only way a black market exists is when demand far exceeds supply. This happens when supply decreases or when demand increases.

In this instance supply didn't diminish. Instead Obama got reelected and somehow a bunch of shooters KNEW he was going to pass a bunch of new anti-gun laws. A few weeks later the Connecticut school shooting occurred, and the panic grew even more.

At first the rumor was the Feds were buying up all the ammo, especially .223, but six months later .223 ammo was suddenly everywhere again.

Yes, the factories are making as much rimfire ammo as ever, actually even more. But because it all gets bought up the first day it arrives at any store, most people buy far more than they ever did. Folks who'd buy a box or two when they wanted to go shoot a little now buy a brick or two every time they get a chance. Folks who used to buy a brick or two when it was on sale now buy bricks at $75--and usually not from a store.

The rimfire panic now is due to the black market that prevents stores from keeping ammo in stock, not Obama passing any new gun laws.

You cannot stop somebody from being in need of a product. You also can't control the supply. You can't stop people from not going to work and hitting Wal-Mart every morning. You can't stop them from bringing their friends to purchase the max amount.

The only way you will see inventory come back in a short amount of time is for the retailers to price the product according to what the market has shown people will pay. Unless that happens, the shortage will continue.

Tell them to log onto Gunbroker and see what schit is selling for. Remind them that is THEIR product selling for those prices.
Give me a solution that doesn't involve imaginations and fairy tales and I'll be all ears. Until then, the only solution I see is retailers raising prices.

Travis

This right here.

(WTF? did someone else hijack your screen name?)
And the panic will subside, the black market will dry up, and those $80 bricks will still be in the closet next to the $3k Bushmasters.

Buy high and sell low seems to be the mantra of most gun show patrons.

None of this is new.
Posted By: BarryC Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I think there is gonna be a lot of $80 bricks laying next to $3k Bushmasters in people's closets real soon. laugh

"If you die first we're splitting up your gear." grin

And it won't be at "market" prices. grin
Originally Posted by BarryC

"If you die first we're spitting up your gear." grin

And it won't be at "market" prices. grin

Good luck swallowing it?
Originally Posted by Redneck
I've got 3000 rounds on backorder that's at that price, but that order was placed 3 months ago - and it's not here yet...

Methinks it might show up in July or August...

Maybe..

Well just wait and in the meantime, put more on back order.
Originally Posted by 40O

P.S., anybody know why Walmart, Cabelas, etc. haven't gotten into the gouging game?

Yes. They feared the raising of prices would result in their company being viewed as dishonest, or opportunistic.

Travis
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
You fellas aren't making the distinction between market and black market which "gouging" is. There is always a black market for nearly every product. Think moonshine, counterfeit products from China, or more above board stuff like .22lr or Beaney Babies.

When demand is high it creates shortages that drives prices up. The normal market stays static because their suppliers have kept costs from rising. In fact, the suppliers are making more money then ever working around the clock to get ahead. The normal market simply waits for more supply, thus keeping their prices normal.

Demand will diminish in time as ammo manufacturers catch up. Then the black marketeers will be on to the next "must have" item. It isn't Capitalism, because it doesn't play by the same rules. they don't pay taxes, manufacturing, or distribution costs. They pay retail and depend on emotion driving sales.

Same thing happened with ARs last year. Black marketeers took advantage of the Newtown emotion and sold a ton of $800 rifles for $3K. The other side is the guys that "that have to have one, no matter what" and are sitting on a $3000 Bushmaster. Good luck getting your money outta that.

Black market items are illegal. There is nothing illegal about the private sales of 22LR or firearms.

Although give this thread enough time, and we'll undoubtedly have "conservatives" promoting legislation in regards to rimfire ammunition sales.

Travis
No fuggin' way I would pay $75 a brick when stores still stock it at $25. I'd take up golf.

People that make these type of comments all have one thing in common.

They all have 22LR.

Travis
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

This right here.

(WTF? did someone else hijack your screen name?)

I was typing on my phone and the post got jacked up.

Travis
And the panic will subside, the black market will dry up, and those $80 bricks will still be in the closet next to the $3k Bushmasters.

None of this is new.

You think guys selling bricks for $75.00 paid $75.00 for those bricks?

'Fraid not dude. You can't lose money cleaning out a retailer's shelf. That's why you can't find any 22LR on a retailer's shelf.

Travis
I have a closet full of Federal 550 boxes, and Remington 525 boxes. Most were bought at around $8.95 a box.
Sad that not everyone looked down the road and spotted a bottleneck with .22 LR, but, oh well.............
As far back as Y2K, preppers were saying that .22 LR would be the new currency. smile

I know you are from Oregon, so let me help you out here...

The retailers have been trying to take care of the shooting community and its customers as a whole. That is why they have been getting cleaned out for a year now.

Hope you comprehend this.

Travis

Listen Travis, I joke along with you about Oregon, but we both know there's nothing wrong with Oregon, it's a great state. It's fun to play around, I get it. And as much as you may think I am, I'm not stupid. We're just at different places.
I respect what you're saying. Knock the legs out from under the scalpers by raising prices at the retail stores. But then, when scalpers quit, when do prices go back down, and what do the scalpers do when that happens? They'd be right back at scalping. You can't tell me everyone is going to stock up at $75 bricks so demand will dissipate. For me, the bottom line is a societal problem, not a 22LR problem.
I think if we had been around in the era our country was founded, we would all have a different value system, probably imposed on us by a strong father, and I think it would help in us self-policing against this type of behavior. Today, we are an out-of-control, run-amok bunch of people that literally invent new ways to sin. Things not even imagined 100 years ago, like preying on old people with phone solicitations and scams, is commonplace today.
If that type of behavior had been attempted 100 years ago, society would have tarred and feathered the perp. Self-policing, politeness and a duty to do what's right.
Now, we call the POLICE and the govt is expected to fix it. We're not allowed to tar and feather anyone, whether they need it or not.
If someone is caught doing something wrong, if he can get a great lawyer, maybe he can get away with it. Think OJ Simpson. Wouldn't have been tolerated long ago. Now it's tolerated, and even embraced by corrupt, sinful, and prideful, arrogant people.
I just see this as a symptom of a much larger problem. One that needs to be solved by introspection, not retail price manipulation.
No matter how many angles from Sunday you twist this thing, you'll always be back at the problem of people lacking restraint and not doing what's good for society rather than themselves.
I have agree if there were any logic behind what the next "shortage" will be. There isn't anyway (legally) to stop pirates from creating the next shortage because, as Mule Deer suggested, there hasn't been any real reason for all this nonsense anyway. I've lived through primer, powder, handgun ammo, high capacity mags, AR-15's etc etc.
For sure don't see me bitching about the 22LR ammo shortage. I am an active participant and encourager. No shortage in my ammo closet.
A buck a box for 22"s was the rule, when gas was about 75 cents a gallon. So three bucks a box or even 5 if I needed them, would be OK.
Sooner or later the closets, safes, lockers, underground storage tubes and credit cards will max out. Production will catch up it's just a matter of time. And if ammo makers have bumped up their production potential the price for rimfire may just drop a bit from pre-panic/pre-market exploitation prices. And it will be caused by a drop in demand as much as increased production. Those that have overstocked will no longer be buyers. They will be sellers sitting on product having a reduced value. Components are coming back now though not to the level of availability pre-Obama. "Assault Rifles" have definitely come back and black rifle ammo is again available at bearable prices. Not sure if Spam and canned corn are yet affordable but if not they will be soon. Rimfire ammo is coming up the list it'll just take a little while longer. You can bet offshore manufacturing is looking at this as a profitable market as well. With capitalism, product will be made available when the current level of demand is present

Listen Travis, I joke along with you about Oregon, but we both know there's nothing wrong with Oregon, it's a great state. It's fun to play around, I get it. And as much as you may think I am, I'm not stupid. We're just at different places.
I respect what you're saying. Knock the legs out from under the scalpers by raising prices at the retail stores. But then, when scalpers quit, when do prices go back down, and what do the scalpers do when that happens? They'd be right back at scalping. You can't tell me everyone is going to stock up at $75 bricks so demand will dissipate. For me, the bottom line is a societal problem, not a 22LR problem.
I think if we had been around in the era our country was founded, we would all have a different value system, probably imposed on us by a strong father, and I think it would help in us self-policing against this type of behavior. Today, we are an out-of-control, run-amok bunch of people that literally invent new ways to sin. Things not even imagined 100 years ago, like preying on old people with phone solicitations and scams, is commonplace today.
If that type of behavior had been attempted 100 years ago, society would have tarred and feathered the perp. Self-policing, politeness and a duty to do what's right.
Now, we call the POLICE and the govt is expected to fix it. We're not allowed to tar and feather anyone, whether they need it or not.
If someone is caught doing something wrong, if he can get a great lawyer, maybe he can get away with it. Think OJ Simpson. Wouldn't have been tolerated long ago. Now it's tolerated, and even embraced by corrupt, sinful, and prideful, arrogant people.
I just see this as a symptom of a much larger problem. One that needs to be solved by introspection, not retail price manipulation.
No matter how many angles from Sunday you twist this thing, you'll always be back at the problem of people lacking restraint and not doing what's good for society rather than themselves.

That's some Grade A rambling. You even managed to touch on the OJ Simpson case.

Travis
There isn't anyway (legally) to stop pirates from creating the next shortage because, as Mule Deer suggested, there hasn't been any real reason for all this nonsense anyway.

Of course there has been a reason. Demand exceeded supply.

There is a legal way to stop the shortage. Retailers raise their prices until supply catches up.

Travis
Originally Posted by shootem
Sooner or later the closets, safes, lockers, underground storage tubes and credit cards will max out. Production will catch up it's just a matter of time.

The "hoarding" only jump started the problem.

The current problem exists from the fact that retailers are used as wholesale outlets all around the country. You can literally turn $300.00 worth of 22LR into $750.00 in under 60 minutes right now. That is with no risk, and minimal effort.

Travis

Travis

Whatever.

Travis

Whatever.

Good one.

Travis
Fireball,
The one in Oregon, not the flavored whiskey,
I would like to help you in your quest to return our country to greatness. Let's go back in time together.
You here?
Good.
I would offer you the exact price you paid for all your 99's.
You won't make one penny and people will see how wonderful of gesture you made. Others will follow your lead. I will buy more. After I buy all the 99's we can move on to something else of value for you to move for zero profit. You and I will both be giddy,
and you can run for the whitehouse...
PM me.

P.S. I will not be financing your political run.
I spent all my money on the "stuff".
I have agree if there were any logic behind what the next "shortage" will be. There isn't anyway (legally) to stop pirates from creating the next shortage because, as Mule Deer suggested, there hasn't been any real reason for all this nonsense anyway. I've lived through primer, powder, handgun ammo, high capacity mags, AR-15's etc etc.

and did you ever find yourself without any of those items? Did you run up against not having any, and not being able to find/buy them? Probably not. I know that when things got tight, I had the powders I use, the primers I need, the ammo that I required and all the AR/mini 14/M1A/.30 Carbine mags I wanted.
Just have to pay attention and buy early.
Look, where in the whole "Doing what's fair" posts did I suggest zero profit for anyone? I'm talking about across the board, out of control greed. You know the difference.
If I haven't explained it so you understand it by now, I'm not going to be able to.

Look, where in the whole "Doing what's fair" posts did I suggest zero profit for anyone? I'm talking about across the board, out of control greed. You know the difference.
If I haven't explained it so you understand it by now, I'm not going to be able to.

So,
your cost + 5%?
Ok.
PM me.

None of this is new.

You think guys selling bricks for $75.00 paid $75.00 for those bricks?

'Fraid not dude. You can't lose money cleaning out a retailer's shelf. That's why you can't find any 22LR on a retailer's shelf.

Travis

Of course they didn't pay $75. They paid retail, like anyone can.

Again, it's a bubble market created by artificial demand. It will subside.

That's why manufacturers and wholesalers have not increased prices. They know the market will drop.

I don't begrudge folks making a dime while they can. Good for them. I do think its hilarious people are paying anywhere close to $75 when , with a little patience, you can buy it for less than half that.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

and did you ever find yourself without any of those items? Did you run up against not having any, and not being able to find/buy them? Probably not. I know that when things got tight, I had the powders I use, the primers I need, the ammo that I required and all the AR/mini 14/M1A/.30 Carbine mags I wanted.

You have to use the stuff to run out of it.

Travis

Of course they didn't pay $75. They paid retail, like anyone can.

Again, it's a bubble market created by artificial demand. It will subside.

That's why manufacturers and wholesalers have not increased prices. They know the market will drop.

I don't begrudge folks making a dime while they can. Good for them. I do think its hilarious people are paying anywhere close to $75 when , with a little patience, you can buy it for less than half that.

So when do you predict it will subside?

Travis
Folks were getting tarred and feathered in 1914?
Originally Posted by wageslave

So,
your cost + 5%?
Ok.
PM me.

That's very fair of you.

Travis
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14

So - those of us who stocked up over time way before this current shortage, when the prices were at historic lows, are now to be shunned? How about the rest of you manning up and admitting your failure, and learning by example?
the jerk-offs pricing the bricks at $75 will be the same jerk-offs selling cans of soup for $20 when the SHTF. there is a difference between stocking up and taking complete advantage of a situation for your own profit. sorry, but that ain't capitalism in my definition. its greed and shameful behavior. i will have no part of either end, or the people involved.

oops, gotta go, my buddy from walmart just called....
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RWE Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
As soon as we put an adequate definition on the board for "hoarders", maybe we can identify them with a scarlet letter icon "H" or something?

perhaps a little birthday cake symbol by their name?

(I recently traded into 3 bricks for some reloaded 38 cal stuff. Guess that may qualify, as I likely won't shoot it all)
Maux Faux�..it really IS your Birthday!

Happy Birthday Braux! laugh
Originally Posted by rem141r
the jerk-offs pricing the bricks at $75 will be the same jerk-offs selling cans of soup for $20 when the SHTF. there is a difference between stocking up and taking complete advantage of a situation for your own profit. sorry, but that ain't capitalism in my definition. its greed and shameful behavior. i will have no part of either end, or the people involved.

Ok. So how do you propose we stop it?

Travis
I don't know. Barring a push of anti legistration or some whacko blasting someplace up...Hopefully soon.

So,
your cost + 5%?
Ok.
PM me.

I don't think you want to buy any 99's.
I should ignore your comments since you're intentionally being obtuse and are not really interested in anything I have to contribute. You've shown me that here and elsewhere.
I am not interested in pointless discussion.

However, if, through your arbitrarily chosen 5% profit, I was able to maintain a steady flow of product thru my doors and make a living, would you feel like I was gouging you?

Conversely, if everything I have is gold and everything you have is dirt, would you feel slighted in our dealings?

There was a time in this country where a modest profit sufficed, and the world probably made more sense. Unfortunately, right now we are on the receiving end of decades of unchecked greed by industry and our own govt.
Industry lobbyists get laws passed that lined their pockets at our expense, and have been doing so for over 100 years. Politicians allowed it because they got personal gain themselves from the deals.
Call it rambling if you need to, but the breakdown of personal values is at the root of this 22LR/greed issue. It's really not that complicated.

We all complain about politicians. Well, why? Greed, corruption, dishonesty? Don't you think those qualities have tangible side effects on a society? Tangible as in the cost of auto insurance, or 22LR?

I just bought an 8 lb keg of IMR4895..

Im not gonna resell it.

Am I a bad person?
Originally Posted by 40O
This little bubble created by the gougers is not capitalism. If Walmart, Cabelas, etc. raised their rates to demand the max the market could bear that would be capitalism. Frankly, I'd rather see the people who contribute to manufacturing, distribution, marketing and sales make the profit. listening to the unemployed losers who can afford to spend the work day looking for .22lr and buying it up is annoying as all hell.

$400 has a point. One contributing fact is that a lot of people who should be busy working are living on government assistance - which gives them time they otherwise wouldn't have to participate in this secondary market. In that respect, it isn't pure capitalism. And a lot of those people probably had jobs or would have jobs, if the government wasn't driving down the economy in general.

Bottom line - it's the government's fault, even if it isn't deliberate.

But Travis is right. If the retailers would raise the price close to what the market is bearing, the demand would fall and supply would stabilize. Or - they could go back to the way things were before "bulk packaging". When all we had to buy was rimfire by the 50-pack, the real price per round was more in line with what the market is currently paying for bulk.

If the price then becomes unbearable, you will see it ease back down. Simple economics.

Oh, BTW - the reason that ammo makers aren't building new factories to meet the current demand, is because they don't expect this demand to be constant. Take that as a clue.

Yeah, that wasn't me you were thinking about a couple weeks back. Suspect you had me confused with Jesus.
Originally Posted by RWE

Yeah, that wasn't me you were thinking about a couple weeks back. Suspect you had me confused with Jesus.

No, that was Deflave. He makes the confusion intentional...
Posted By: CLB Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Originally Posted by STA
No I'm waiting for my regular gun dealer to get back from shot show.

Randy,

Since you have a little girl waiting to shoot I have some extra ammo I can send you if uou want it. PM me your addy and I can ship you a couple hundred CCI Blazer .22lr if you don't mind those.

Travis

stop buying it at the inflated prices is the only way. buying it at normal prices for your own consumption is fine. i imagine everyone will be satiated after 5000 rounds or so. all except for the pigs who resell. they will buy all they can as fast as they can as long as people buy it from them.
I don't know. Barring a push of anti legistration or some whacko blasting someplace up...Hopefully soon.

Good luck with that...

Travis
I don't need luck. I hoard 22lr at retail prices.

stop buying it at the inflated prices is the only way. buying it at normal prices for your own consumption is fine.

Ummm... If people could buy it for less, they would.

Travis
I don't need luck. I hoard 22lr at retail prices.

I'm not talking about individually. Individually, there are probably very few people with a real 22LR shortage on this website.

I'm talking about what would (in short order) cause supply to return to what we have always known.

Travis
Demand will drop.
Or not?

This is all guess work of some flavor.

I do think retail prices will go up. Not the 150%+ we see now, but it will go up.

Demand will drop.

Some day...

Travis
A previous post paints a pretty picture of times past. Let me relate a little less fairy-tale like version related to me by my parents who grew up during the depression...

My uncles provided meat for the family with their .22lr rifles. If they had enough money, they could buy .22lr by the 50-round pack. But they usually didn't, so they bought it by the round. This wasn't uncommon at the time, and tended to depress prices. Each round spent was expected to bring home meat, so no one would be burning through 500 rounds in an afternoon anyway.

When people can't afford or otherwise refuse to buy something - especially if that something is not a necessity - it drives prices down. That is the reality of times past. By the accounts of the elders (now passed) in my family, this idea that the economy was somehow driven by altruism is just plain nostalgic dreaming. The profit motive (greed, to some) was alive and well back then - although there was movement from government to interfere with that. In fact, this has historically always been the case. profit motive is king, until government interferes with it's own artificial devices - bringing with those, all the problems of socialism and statism.
It's not like 22lr was hard to come by before all this happened. Manufacturers crank out silly amounts of rimfire ammo.

I don't think there are that many new shooters either.

Do you see demand remaining at the current level? Do you think it is sustainable?
Anybody else notice how many rimfire AR-clones and other semi-auto rimfires were sold over the last year or so - especially the last six months? They went like hotcakes, and there is plenty of anecdotal info that a lot of those buyers were first-time gun owners. Of course - they needed ammo too.

I suspect that this is one of the major factors driving the rimfire shortage. Compound this with the fact that none of those first-time owners has a preconceived notion of what .22lr should cost, and you begin to see where this goes.

I suspect that at some point the newness will wear off, and a good majority of these people will reduce or even all but stop their consumption of .22lr. Hopefully the doomsday preppers will have met their storage limits by then as well. And then the demand and the price will level off. How long that will take is anybody's guess.
I just bought an 8 lb keg of IMR4895..

Im not gonna resell it.

Am I a bad person?

Well ya, but only if I need it too. (Which I don't, cause I only use H4831 in my 270)
Originally Posted by lauren
A buck a box for 22"s was the rule, when gas was about 75 cents a gallon. So three bucks a box or even 5 if I needed them, would be OK.

The price of fuel has almost no effect on the box price of ammo. If it did, a small flat rate mailing box from the USPS would be $20, not $5.95.

The price of fuel has almost no effect on the box price of ammo. If it did, a small flat rate mailing box from the USPS would be $20, not $5.95.

I absolutely has an effect on it! Everything that is shipped is effected by fuel prices. Objects that are heavier for their size (lead) are effected even more. The raw components for manufacturing ammo (lead) are shipped in bulk - not by flat-rate USPS box. Shipping companies also charge a premium for ammo deliveries for this reason (weight). When was the last time you saw any ammo delivered in a flat-rate box?

This is a math comparison not shipping comparison. Gas was cheaper then and so was 22 ammo. With gas almost 5X the cost today, 22 ammo at 5X the cost today would be comparative. 22 ammo has raised in price at a rate below the norm and people are still bitching...
You have to think of bulk rate shipping contracts year-to-year instead of a consumer ordering a flat of 12ga ammo.
Anyone selling a can of soup for 20 bucks WTSHF better have a bunch of ammo and is well versed in its' dispersal.
It's not like 22lr was hard to come by before all this happened. Manufacturers crank out silly amounts of rimfire ammo.

I don't think there are that many new shooters either.

Do you see demand remaining at the current level? Do you think it is sustainable?

I see a glaring opportunity to make money quickly. Which is what I've been stating in this thread.

Travis
People are mostly bitching because they can't find any. Are retailers charging $75 a brick ? If yes, which ones ?
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Anyone selling a can of soup for 20 bucks WTSHF better have a bunch of ammo and is well versed in its' dispersal.

Unless of course, the going rate is $40.00.

Travis
People are mostly bitching because they can't find any. Are retailers charging $75 a brick ? If yes, which ones ?

Cheaper than Dirt.

They have plenty of ammo to sell by the way. Might be a lesson there...

Travis
Thank you. There is a lesson there for me. Note to self, don't buy from CTD and Brunos Shooting Supply.
Thank you. There is a lesson there for me. Note to self, don't buy from CTD and Brunos Shooting Supply.

Laughin'...

Travis
When Natchez for example has Federal bulk (325 rds) in stock, they sell it for $19.99 and they some how are managing to pay their bills and turn a profit. Might be a lesson there too for those who care to look beyond the tip of their nose.
When Natchez for example has Federal bulk (325 rds) in stock, they sell it for $19.99 and they some how are managing to pay their bills and turn a profit. Might be a lesson there too for those who care to look beyond the tip of their nose.

This Natchez?

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?c...moSize=196&category=3&startRow=1

Travis
Only one I know of and I have seen 22 LR ammo in various flavors.
Posted By: STA Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
Yes this Natchez link: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=PYAE22&src=tpSlrHm
Posted By: 16bore Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14

Cry all you want on the internet. Tell your friends how much it sucks. Me personally? I've told every retailer I know (including Wal-Mart) to raise their GD prices so things can start to return to normal. Tell them to log onto Gunbroker and see what schit is selling for. Remind them that is THEIR product selling for those prices.

RDFinn has a good analogy in regards to fuel. If all the gas stations were selling at $1.50 a gallon, how long do you think the gas stations would have gas?

Women bitch. Men have solutions. Give me a solution that doesn't involve imaginations and fairy tales and I'll be all ears. Until then, the only solution I see is retailers raising prices.

Travis

If the market will support a higher retail price, then why aren't the
manufacturers charging a higher wholesale price? Why let the margin go to a fella driving to Walmart?

You have to use the stuff to run out of it.

Travis

or in my case Travis, buy a lot, use only some. As I said, many of us saw where things were going, years ago. shocked
Originally Posted by 16bore

If the market will support a higher retail price, then why aren't the
manufacturers charging a higher wholesale price? Why let the margin go to a fella driving to Walmart?

Their job is to get the product to the retailers. They're doing that.

The retailers are giving it away and that is why their shelves are empty.

Travis

or in my case Travis, buy a lot, use only some. As I said, many of us saw where things were going, years ago. shocked

True. But my point is that having enough to last until your death can be tough to do depending on how much you shoot, and of course your age.

I know one person that goes through a lot of ammo each year and should have enough to last his lifetime. Maybe... grin

Travis

Guess the negative press for being a gouger outweighs the retailers profit on a box of plinkers.

Glad you could get some for your daughter.

Travis

True. But my point is that having enough to last until your death can be tough to do depending on how much you shoot, and of course your age.

I know one person that goes through a lot of ammo each year and should have enough to last his lifetime. Maybe... grin

Travis

chit, at my age, and with my health issues, I can afford to be profligate. laugh
Please don't use words that I have to google.

Thank you.

Travis
Originally Posted by RWE

Guess the negative press for being a gouger outweighs the retailers profit on a box of plinkers.

I can only offer solutions to a given problem. The judgment of what is right and wrong falls to a higher being.

(Just kidding, I do the judging as well.)

Travis

Glad you could get some for your daughter.

Travis

Thanks! All good thing come to people who wait. Sure glad I didn't pay $79 for that brick of 500.....
I would be as well.

Travis
Please don't use words that I have to google.

Thank you.

Travis

don't forget to thank a teacher. shocked
You have to think of bulk rate shipping contracts year-to-year instead of a consumer ordering a flat of 12ga ammo.

You don't know how each those contracts are negotiated, for what time frame, or what amount. Neither do I. But a manufacturer or a wholesaler is free to set prices according to expected shipping costs in the future as well - unless restricted by a contract with the retailer.....which may also speak to the price Wallyworld is currently paying.

BTW - that kind of contract and the requirements of it are part of what drove Shrade USA out of business.

Like I've written twice in this thread, if you can't find 22LR at very decent prices it's because you are likely looking in the wrong places. I'm buying ammo at 5.8 cents per round TYD, and that's very, very decent prices.
Posted By: n007 Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
There is no ammo shortage in Canada, .22 or otherwise.
Originally Posted by n007

We still pity you.

Travis

Because the demand for it is limited. No surprise there.

We still pity you.

Travis

I know, that is the real funny part.

We're laughing with you. Honest...

Travis
Originally Posted by FreeMe

No its because God hates you.

They have God in Canaduh? Learn something new every day around here!

Travis
God hates no one. He has something agents the Nicolaitans though..... whistle
Originally Posted by STA
He has something agents the Nicolaitans though..... whistle

Is that how you spell "Canadian" in the south?

Travis

We're laughing with you. Honest...

Travis

I always rather liked a couple of one liners on Canada from Robin Williams:

1. Canadians are like our retarded cousins.
2. Canada is like a loft above a really good party.
Dangerous ground here.....lol.....but funny never the less..... grin
Posted By: 7 STW Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
[bleep] off

So,
your cost + 5%?
Ok.
PM me.

I don't think you want to buy any 99's.
I should ignore your comments since you're intentionally being obtuse and are not really interested in anything I have to contribute. You've shown me that here and elsewhere.
I am not interested in pointless discussion.

However, if, through your arbitrarily chosen 5% profit, I was able to maintain a steady flow of product thru my doors and make a living, would you feel like I was gouging you?

Conversely, if everything I have is gold and everything you have is dirt, would you feel slighted in our dealings?

There was a time in this country where a modest profit sufficed, and the world probably made more sense. Unfortunately, right now we are on the receiving end of decades of unchecked greed by industry and our own govt.
Industry lobbyists get laws passed that lined their pockets at our expense, and have been doing so for over 100 years. Politicians allowed it because they got personal gain themselves from the deals.
Call it rambling if you need to, but the breakdown of personal values is at the root of this 22LR/greed issue. It's really not that complicated.

We all complain about politicians. Well, why? Greed, corruption, dishonesty? Don't you think those qualities have tangible side effects on a society? Tangible as in the cost of auto insurance, or 22LR?

Finally.
Even a Oregonian can FINALLY see the light.
It just takes alot longer.
Not really. You still don't. I was just kidding.

We can all tell that you have absolutely NO idea how much profit it takes to maintain a business and keep people like yourself employed. You have bitching about "the man", "the greedy corporation" and anyone but you and your lofty ideals, being at fault. But then we knew all that was coming....you're from Oregon.
So keep dreaming your dreams and typing your rambling and think whatever you like.
Most of the Canucks I know party hard and hunt even harder.... Just saying.....
I wish Oregon would move to Canaduh.

Travis
Originally Posted by STA
Most of the Canucks I know party hard and hunt even harder.... Just saying.....

The unemployed are typically a lot of fun.

Travis
Canada banned them.....
Canada banned them.....

Smart on their part.

Amazingly.

Travis

Finally.
Even a Oregonian can FINALLY see the light.
It just takes alot longer.
Not really. You still don't. I was just kidding.

We can all tell that you have absolutely NO idea how much profit it takes to maintain a business and keep people like yourself employed. You have bitching about "the man", "the greedy corporation" and anyone but you and your lofty ideals, being at fault. But then we knew all that was coming....you're from Oregon.
So keep dreaming your dreams and typing your rambling and think whatever you like.

I'm self-employed and have been since I was 23, with a couple of years of other work thrown in. I know a little bit about business. I certainly don't need to explain myself to you or anyone.
Just curious why the animosity towards a guy you've never met and seem determined to slander?
They didn't have to be smart...
They could smell them.

This is why you have no .22 ammo and we do, God likes us.

Dad was born 1918, a WWI baby. He was a young man during the depression. When my dad was growing up he said a major, distinct shift occurred in society, i.e. business/industry, that went from charging a fair price for products and services to charging as much as they could get away with. What we call "market" today. He theorized that high post WWII consumer demand had much to do with it.

When folks were content with 10% profit, or high rollers 20%, peoples self-restraint and sense of fairness ruled. Kind of a polite society if you will, each taking what he needed, but realizing the need to watch out for his neighbor as well contained an unspoken provision for maintaining the good of all society through restraint. People kept their greed in check.

Up to that time in our country humility was a valued personal trait. It is not valued today in America. In fact, arrogance is valued and esteemed. Look at gay activists, movie stars, captains of industry, all proud and arrogant.
We all know that society, and especially business, no longer gears itself to anything but the $$, and businesses are comprised of people.
Business has changed because people have changed. Greed now runs unchecked, and society is the worse for it. One hope is for our buying power to be our leverage, (don't pay it).

But better, we need moral, humble, God-fearing people in positions of influence in society and govt that will put the good of all above their own personal gain. And we each personally need to turn back.
Say what you will, I think we cannot have what we all seek without the "God-fearing" part of the equation.

We can now see where God-LESS-ness has taken our country in just 60 years. It's time to humble ourselves, each and every one.
We need to each take stock of our hearts and quit placing ourselves above everyone around us. It's a failed experiment.
This thread is going down the toilet.

Travis

You do nothing. The problem will take care of itself.

So I have been told.

Might as well boil the fairy tale down to it's elements....eh?
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
It is only the guys buying retail with the express intent to resale at retail plus 50+% profit with the further intent to not pay taxes on said profits that piss me off.
Originally Posted by EddyBo
It is only the guys buying retail with the express intent to resale at retail plus 50+% profit with the further intent to not pay taxes on said profits that piss me off.

You are assuming that because they are making "obscene profits" they also are not paying taxes. Nice.
Posted By: iddave Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
What we need here is goverment intervention to regulate this foolishness....
Originally Posted by iddave

Yep, the more regulation we have the better we will all be.

You are assuming that because they are making "obscene profits" they also are not paying taxes. Nice.

Obscene requires a SCOTUS decision of course. The only reason you care is because you aren't the one making the profit.

I'm self-employed and have been since I was 23, with a couple of years of other work thrown in. I know a little bit about business. I certainly don't need to explain myself to you or anyone.
Just curious why the animosity towards a guy you've never met and seem determined to slander?

Nice. Congrats.
Do you sell time and product or just time?
How many, if any, employees?
Posted By: iddave Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14
If not government intervention, can I at LEAST get some support for some tarring and feathering of people making "too much" money on .22 ammo?
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/22/14

I am assuming nothing. When was the last time you saw an individual selling stuff out of his trunk that charged sales tax.

But

I do doubt that a guy who is selling crap on facebook for cash is declaring it as income.
Anybody need 22 shells. Got a few bricks I would take 125.00 each for
If you were near me I would donate a brick for you and your son to go shooting. I stopped shooting my 22s when all of this ammo shortage stuff started. I still have a pile of it but with no chance of replacing it i quit shooting.

I am assuming nothing. When was the last time you saw an individual selling stuff out of his trunk that charged sales tax.

Uhh Avon lady

he is assuming that selling the marked up bricks at a gun show, (or any other venue) for cash, is a darn good indicator that they are not declaring the income.

Sonofabtich I think this guy from Canaduh might be right!!!

Travis
Originally Posted by STA
This thread is going down the toilet.

Talk to the OP. He's a pot stirrer.

Travis

he is assuming that selling the marked up bricks at a gun show, (or any other venue) for cash, is a darn good indicator that they are not declaring the income.

Sounds like a loophole...

Travis

Travis

10-4.

I'm still going to keep asking retailers to charge more in the mean time.

Travis

You need to move to Oregon.

Travis
If not government intervention, can I at LEAST get some support for some tarring and feathering of people making "too much" money on .22 ammo?

Only if you define "too much."

Travis

But

I do doubt that a guy who is selling crap on facebook for cash is declaring it as income.

We should do our own housekeeping and start looking into the Free Classifieds?

Travis
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Anybody need 22 shells. Got a few bricks I would take 125.00 each for

I'll trade you a bad ass Menefee...

Wait...

Travis

You need to move to Oregon.

Travis

Thinking u might need to b POTUS.

In case anyone is interested in paying the price, I have some 22 LR ammo I will sell for $65.00/brick...
I've got some for $64.99 per brick. And I'll pay tax on my sales.
I'm really enjoying the fact that there are so many ill prepared puzzies getting butt hurt over 22 prices, even though they are the ones who didn't do any leg work and now they can't afford or refuse to "pay to play".

Thank you to all campfire members that either had the foresight or values instilled in them for preparedness. Thank you to all the members who choose to make snide and sarcastic remarks towards those who fit in the butt hurt category.

I never thought laying on the couch with a beer and an iPad could be so entertaining.
Originally Posted by shrapnel

In case anyone is interested in paying the price, I have some 22 LR ammo I will sell for $65.00/brick...

Shrap is one of the good guys. I saw him pay $85.00 a brick.

Kudos to you shrap!

Travis

'Flave 2016 bumper stickers will be available soon.

(And sold at a reasonable profit. This ain't Oregon for [bleep] sake)

Travis
Posted By: EddyBo Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14

Not sales tax but it is based on knowledge of a guy who is doing as I described than assuming

Travis

These are numbered and I get #1 correct???
I've already pledged my vote to Kawi.
Posted By: iddave Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14
A co-worker just happily offered up $100 for two bricks of my .22. I declined in fear of Campfire retaliation.

I knew I'd offend some for devaluing their product, while angering others because I was a "gouger".

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

+1
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Travis

These are numbered and I get #1 correct???

Yes sir.

Travis
A co-worker just happily offered up $100 for two bricks of my .22. I declined in fear of Campfire retaliation.

I knew I'd offend some for devaluing their product, while angering others because I was a "gouger".

I am glad you declined.

Anything under $150.00 and I'd consider you a fool.

Travis
Originally Posted by bubbajay
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

+1

He is just a figurehead.

Travis
Posted By: RDFinn Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14

Travis

10-4.

I'm still going to keep asking retailers to charge more in the mean time.

Travis

If retailers charge more that helps the gougers who are sitting on piles of ammo and hurts consumers. I thought you wanted a solution to stop gougers.....not help them.
Originally Posted by MarkFed
I'm really enjoying the fact that there are so many ill prepared puzzies getting butt hurt over 22 prices, even though they are the ones who didn't do any leg work and now they can't afford or refuse to "pay to play".

Thank you to all campfire members that either had the foresight or values instilled in them for preparedness. Thank you to all the members who choose to make snide and sarcastic remarks towards those who fit in the butt hurt category.

I never thought laying on the couch with a beer and an iPad could be so entertaining.

Then there are those that are prepared have plenty of ammo but choose not to buy from buy from gougers. It is not like you cannot find 22 ammo in the 17 cents per round range from legitimate dealers right now. Some of us pay our taxes both business and personal and choose not to deal with those who are not legitimate dealers.
If they want to be ammo dealers let them get the appropriate business licenses and pay the appropriate taxes. If a dealer wants to mark his crap up, that is fine. The market will even it out eventually. For the guys who are creating the problems by buying all the available ammo to resale without running a legit business, phug em.
For the guys who are creating the problems by buying all the available ammo to resale without running a legit business, phug em.

Yep.

All I know is any son of a bitch trying to phuuck the members here on ammo goes immediately to ignore.
I seek only to bring back supply. Which will also bring down price.

Travis

Travis

Bless you and your plight, Father Flave.
Peace.
So hard to find ammo that I've stopped shooting and just run chit over instead.

Then there are those that are prepared have plenty of ammo but choose not to buy from buy from gougers. It is not like you cannot find 22 ammo in the 17 cents per round range from legitimate dealers right now. Some of us pay our taxes both business and personal and choose not to deal with those who are not legitimate dealers.
If they want to be ammo dealers let them get the appropriate business licenses and pay the appropriate taxes. If a dealer wants to mark his crap up, that is fine. The market will even it out eventually. For the guys who are creating the problems by buying all the available ammo to resale without running a legit business, phug em.

There is ammo readily available at 1/3 your 17 cents per round. Your getting taken.
Ammo's expensive but ARs are as cheap as you could ever hope for so I'd recommend that all the ill-prepared whiners buy an AR-15 or two now, while they're waiting for ammo prices to come down. That way, when the ARs dry up during the next gun-grabbing event, they won't be one of the guys whining (again) about $2000+ ARs. Plus, they can take the extra $1000-$2000+ they didn't have to spend on their panic-purchased AR and spend it on more ammo. See how that works?!?! Easy-peasy for most with an IQ over 40 and a SHRED of foresight. BTW - you've been warned..... smirk
Brought 8 bricks of ammo up to a village in AK this summer. I got $100 a brick. The guy who I sold it to, resold it for $140 a brick. He offered me $100 a brick. So should I really say no...I only paid $15 for it 5 years ago? Nope, I did not. I sold that ammo, took my wife to a nice dinner and bought a new gun.

Its supply and demand. Simple Economics. I wouldn't pay $100 a brick, but the guys in AK were super excited about it. Because they could get it.

I also sold bricks of ammo to a friend so he could take his kids shooting. $17 a brick, which is what I had in it.

I still have a bit of decency.
Posted By: STA Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14
I just got a 1000 rounds at Walmart for 55bucks.... Very happy right now....

Travis

Bless you and your plight, Father Flave.
Peace.

Thanks, sinner.

Travis
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Gonna be hell during the muddy season.

Travis
Originally Posted by STA

You should tell the OP to stop his goddammn whining and do the same.

Travis
Sound plan if gas wasn't so damn expensive.

The beauty in that is that in Montana you can get a permit from FWP and keep what you hit, in or out of season...
I know a guy selling a bloat gauge for cheap.

Travis
Posted By: STA Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

Ok so I am the original poster so that make me the GD whiner to you. This is so funny people on there computers who talk big but know there is know real consequence. To put others down to build them selfs up. I'm not mad just don't like seeing this type of behavior among adults.

There is ammo readily available at 1/3 your 17 cents per round. Your getting taken.

Never said I was buying it, said it was out there. I just cannot see buying ammo at inflated prices from a guy who is reselling when you can buy at inflated prices from a reputable business.

Find me some Eley Match at 1/3 the price listed at most of the internet sellers, and I will be in smile
What's the price listed? $7.19 per box that OK.
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

Now that's funny right there! Oh, and did I mention I've scored over 2k rounds of .22lr in the past month, in of all places, Oregon! Most I paid was $19.99 per brick. Funny shiitt, ain't it?! Talk about irony.

Maybe I should share my good fortune (redistribute the wealth for some)?......nah, [bleep] it!
What's the price listed?

Major retailer has it at $7.19. There done.
Major retailer has it at $7.19. There done.

Which major retailer? I have been buying from Killough for a few years and have not seen his prices beat by that much ever. Please PM me the name of the retailer.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

Now that's funny right there! Oh, and did I mention I've scored over 2k rounds of .22lr in the past month, in of all places, Oregon! Most I paid was $19.99 per brick. Funny shiitt, ain't it?! Talk about irony.

Maybe I should share my good fortune (redistribute the wealth for some)?......nah, [bleep] it!

I'll buy it for $39.99 per brick. (I'm gonna resell it for $100 per brick and we will both double our money)
Use one of the ammo bots. ,yes I really found it for that price.
I saw 22 shell's 550 count for 22.00 last week at atwoods.
If someone is Out I can spare a BOX. You can replace when the price goes back to whatever normal will be in the future.
Use one of the ammo bots. ,yes I really found it for that price.

I use them all the time, just checked gunbot a second ago, NOTHING close to the price you quoted for Eley match. Will be checking the others in a minute. Not like I need any RF ammo but at that price I will buy a couple cases.
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

That's been my experience. If some of these guys would spend a little more time looking, they could find at the normal price. I do have a good stash, but have actually increased it in the last couple months and I didn't pay more than $30 brick for any of it.
Originally Posted by STA

Ok so I am the original poster so that make me the GD whiner to you. This is so funny people on there computers who talk big but know there is know real consequence. To put others down to build them selfs up. I'm not mad just don't like seeing this type of behavior among adults.

WHOOOOOOOOOOSH!

Travis
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14
You guys are all putting too much effort into this when it is really simple with the right attitude. When .22 is scarce, shoot your 9mm more. Centerfire scarce? Bring out the C&B. Stock up (reasonably) on what's available at a good price that you can use eventually. I have yet to see any one time that all shooting options were out. Right now, I can buy .17hmr just about anywhere. Reloading supplies are plenty - except for powder. Guess who bought powder when it was plentiful?

Do you all wait 'til your tank is on empty to buy gas?
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

Whatever, hoarder....

Travis

HOME � Forums � Hunting & Shooting � Rimfires � BOYCOTT .22 PURCHASES

Your work is not yet done, padre.
I'm on it...

Go to Hell,
Father Abraham
WTF?
YOU are the one who boned the maid to get a kid before Sarah had her miracle......
GFY.
WTF?
YOU are the one who boned the maid to get a kid before Sarah had her miracle......
GFY.

I don't write their names down, but I'm sure you're correct.

Travis
You guys are all putting too much effort into this when it is really simple with the right attitude. When .22 is scarce, shoot your 9mm more. Centerfire scarce? Bring out the C&B. Stock up (reasonably) on what's available at a good price that you can use eventually. I have yet to see any one time that all shooting options were out. Right now, I can buy .17hmr just about anywhere. Reloading supplies are plenty - except for powder. Guess who bought powder when it was plentiful?

Do you all wait 'til your tank is on empty to buy gas?

Breaking news...

The shooting community has come together and nobody is going to buy any shooting products until the shelves are filled.

Once 22LR is down to $3.00 a brick, we're going to concentrate our efforts on gasoline and get that schit down to about $0.99.

Travis
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/23/14

Breaking news...

The shooting community has come together and nobody is going to buy any shooting products until the shelves are filled.

Once 22LR is down to $3.00 a brick, we're going to concentrate our efforts on gasoline and get that schit down to about $0.99.

Travis

Hallelujah! I'll start holding my breath........NOW!
Posted By: Mink Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/24/14

That is sig line worthy LMAO
Originally Posted by STA
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

Well said.
Originally Posted by STA
Originally Posted by STA

Travis

Well said.

With only a few posts total between you two you haven't yet realized that the "Fire" is a source of entertainment for many. Most of us are mature well past the age of taking too much of anything seriously. If you need 22LR ammo PM me and I'll get some to you.
Posted By: STA Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/24/14
How many post do I need...smiles...
Well you have more than I do so you are indeed one of the many. smile
Posted By: STA Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/24/14
One of many that's the way I like it....lol...

Well said.

Easy to say hiding behind your keyboard.

Travis
A previous post paints a pretty picture of times past. Let me relate a little less fairy-tale like version related to me by my parents who grew up during the depression...

My uncles provided meat for the family with their .22lr rifles. If they had enough money, they could buy .22lr by the 50-round pack. But they usually didn't, so they bought it by the round. This wasn't uncommon at the time, and tended to depress prices. Each round spent was expected to bring home meat, so no one would be burning through 500 rounds in an afternoon anyway.

When people can't afford or otherwise refuse to buy something - especially if that something is not a necessity - it drives prices down. That is the reality of times past. By the accounts of the elders (now passed) in my family, this idea that the economy was somehow driven by altruism is just plain nostalgic dreaming. The profit motive (greed, to some) was alive and well back then - although there was movement from government to interfere with that. In fact, this has historically always been the case. profit motive is king, until government interferes with it's own artificial devices - bringing with those, all the problems of socialism and statism.

you know, i was basically growing up in the 50's and 60's. My parents were of course depression era people. Your comments came home to me. I still have my dad's old remington single shot .22rifle. When it became my time, i did NOT have unlimited access to ammo, even when it was maybe .50/box. I had to account for every shell fired on cottontails. That habit persists with me today and it's one of the reasons i use cast lead when i can.

that makes it easier for me, bruno's is maybe ten minutes from my house. He had 8lb kegs in there a few months ago when you couldn't find it just about anywhere else. Little up on price, but not bad.
one thing that i haven't seen mention is this. Even if you do have a stash of various things, current prices still are bothersome as you eventually have to replace or slow down your shooting. I was in cabella's the other day, and primers at 37bucks a thousand, makes me gag. The good thing is i probably don't have to try and get anymore in this lifetime.
And the price of projectiles to me is just crazy. I think it slows down or discourages shooting for those younger that didn't have the foresight or resources that the ol geezers did.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

that makes it easier for me, bruno's is maybe ten minutes from my house. He had 8lb kegs in there a few months ago when you couldn't find it just about anywhere else. Little up on price, but not bad.

I have always liked Bruno's.

Travis
one thing that i haven't seen mention is this. Even if you do have a stash of various things, current prices still are bothersome as you eventually have to replace or slow down your shooting. I was in cabella's the other day, and primers at 37bucks a thousand, makes me gag. The good thing is i probably don't have to try and get anymore in this lifetime.
And the price of projectiles to me is just crazy. I think it slows down or discourages shooting for those younger that didn't have the foresight or resources that the ol geezers did.

$37.00 a brick seems fair to me.

And I wish the younger folks would get discouraged. And learn how to hit the paper they're shooting at.

Travis
Posted By: RWE Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/24/14
I think it slows down or discourages shooting for those younger that didn't have the foresight or resources that the ol geezers did.

Crap.

I'm an old geezer now...

Well said.

Easy to say hiding behind your keyboard.

Travis

Agreed, it is.
Posted By: selmer Re: Ammo price gouging sucks... - 01/25/14

And I wish the younger folks would get discouraged. And learn how to hit the paper they're shooting at.

Travis

The younger folks need some mentors to teach them how. They need to start with single shots instead of 10/22s with duct taped banana magazines or pistols with 15 magazines loaded up that take 15 minutes to shoot. I still haven't "graduated" into any sort of a semi-automatic gun and prefer my single shots. The closest I have is a Marlin .22 bolt with a tube magazine.
Originally Posted by selmer

The younger folks need some mentors to teach them how. They need to start with single shots instead of 10/22s with duct taped banana magazines or pistols with 15 magazines loaded up that take 15 minutes to shoot. I still haven't "graduated" into any sort of a semi-automatic gun and prefer my single shots. The closest I have is a Marlin .22 bolt with a tube magazine.

I started on a 10/22 and I'm one of the best shots I've ever met.

Travis
I still have (of course) the single-shot that I started out with a half century ago. It was my Dad's first .22 as well. I haven't fired it in many years but lately I have felt the strong urge to bring it along on my next range trip. With each passing day I find myself more eager to shoot it and see how it prints on paper. I have no early memories of shooting it at a paper target. Tin cans, squirrels, crows... why on earth would you waste a bullet on a piece of paper?
Originally Posted by selmer

Travis

It's hard being an ol geezer with a memory. When i was a kid, my .22 was a remington single shot(fathers) had peeps front and back. My father could shoot a quails head off with the thing. I was turned loose with that and a box of shells, and i had to account for EACH shell with a dead rabbit. Obviously i reload now for a lot of things, stockpiled stuff, but it really difficult to get out of that habit. I hate to burn up any ammo just to shoot cow turds, unless it is real low cost, which is what got me into casting. Can't do that with .22. Now favorite grandchildren, but started on 10/22's. Granddaughter shot so much through one you couldn't see daylight through the barrel due to lead buildup(lead to an intense discussion) and i remember going through a couple of bricks one afternoon with grandson. It's a difference in when you were raised. I have a mint condition winchester semiauto, think it's a 1903 from memory
that shoots .22WINCHESTER rimfire. That is not .22rf. about 15bucks a box normally when availably. I found a brick of it about a year ago, and still haven't shot it, choke up at the cost.
© 24hourcampfire