Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 91 of 120 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 119 120
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Should be interesting what with you working out at that senior citizen facility. Watch your back, snatch can be hard on you old timers.

Last edited by battue; 04/29/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nah, it's all good. You just need to make sure you have the right snatch. The wrong snatch can be devastating.

PS, stay where you are, the orderlies will be along shortly to take you back to your room.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A good snatch needs one to pay attention to the proper alignment of parts in order to achieve the desired ending result.

The other was just mean and uncalled for on a forum of this caliber. grin

Last edited by battue; 04/29/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bleachers
7 sets of 6
Then ran 1.5 miles

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
The other was just mean and uncalled for on a forum of this caliber. grin

I think you meant "chambering," not caliber. A common mistake.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Strength/Skill
Strict Press
115X5
155X3

Push Press
135X5

Push Jerk
155X5

Workout:
5 rounds for time:
115# Shoulders to Overhead - 15 reps
Run 100m
5 burpees

11:10

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yesterday
Tried my first kettle bell workout. It was pretty good. It's a nice change from regular weights.

Today
Bleachers- 6 sets of 6

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Carried the pack yesterday, might just take a day off today and do some shootin.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Trail ran this am (I didn't suck as bad as I thought I would) .First time I've spent on a trail in a while, as most my hiking recently has been off trail exploring new routes or new areas.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Did a hour hike with my Unaweep 4800 loaded with a whopping 32lbs. does that count.

IC B3

D
D
I'll give it a try, although I may be older and a bit more arthritic. I have had three knee scopes on my left knee since my ACL recon in 1999. I live and work in Jackson MS, but "play" out in the Western/NW mountains, hiking with my wife, or flyfishing with my son & other buddies, or chasing elk/mulies/antelope over the years. In 2009 I started sheep hunting, drawing the only non-resident RM Bighorn tag in Oregon in Hell's Canyon. I've had the good fortune to take mature Dall's and mature Fannin's in the Yukon 2012 & 2013, and a good Stone's in 2014 in Northern BC. The hunts were all backpack, use of Argos sparingly on two, horses (which I hate) on one.The four rams were taken on day 6, day 7, day 7, and day 11, respectively.
Since the last hunt, my left knee is wearing down more, and I will probably need a total knee replacement sometime late Fall. I've got another ram hunt this August in the Yukon. I've got a pretty decent workout routine, working up to the 50lb backpack/stairmaster/elliptical at the local YMCA (getting interesting stares..here Down South) the last two months before the hunt, but have some questions. I am 58 years old, 5'10", 180lbs.
What routine do y'all suggest, if at all, with the kettle bells?
I can't really run, substituting the elliptical or stair master due to the left knee DJD,
so would swimming add anything to it?
I have tried several knee braces, and the DonJoy OA Everyday works well for me with a neoprene sleeve. Any suggestions on others?
I do the sit-ups, back extensions, bench press, military press, biceps curls, planks, low/mid/high rows, "fly" and lat pull-downs, triceps work, leg press, hamstring curls...alternating upper body days vs. lower body days in between cardio.
If any mid 50's-60's guys are out there, I would love to see what your exercise routine is to keep y'all in "mountain shape".
I'm not smart enough to get an "avatar" or photo attached to my post, as the "pixels" apparently were too large.
Any advice on a routine would be most appreciated.
Gordon

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=DiddywahdiddyIf any mid 50's-60's guys are out there, I would love to see what your exercise routine is to keep y'all in "mountain shape".[/quote]

The second post on the thread has mine. I've changed it some. Had my left ACL done in 2001, arthritic ankle on the right side. IMHO, the best way to get in shape for carrying a pack in the hills is to carry a pack in the hills.

Did 3 miles with the pack yesterday, cardio today, then two days off, traveling.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saturday
squats
alternating bench w/DB
leg raises
dips
hamstring curls
pull ups
v-ups

Today
bleachers- 2 sets of 6, 2 sets of 5, 2 sets of 4

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
22 trips up Old Main Hill (124 steps) with 10 burpees each time, at a pace of just under 3 minutes per.

I've now completed 8650 of the 10,000 burpee challenge and plan to finish in a total of 40 days averaging 250 burpees/day.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
D
D
Smokepole,
Can't agree more with the carrying a pack in the hills. With less hills here in the SE USA, I have to get creative. The YMCA machines work well, but can never mimic the trekking...where one trekking pole is bent, your left foot is everted/toes down and the right foot is inverted/toes up...and the left knee is 60 degrees flexed and the right knee just slid five feet on a scree field...No mountains here, but lots of thick grassy hillsides with enough incline to "go up and down" repeatedly, close to the house. It gets a bit boring, but some "live" Drive By Truckers, Lynrd Skynrd "Live from SteelTown", or "40 Licks" by the Stones helps keep the pace.
I'm doing an hour three times per week with my Eberlestock filled with doubled trash bags with 50lbs wheat seed, then mix it up with upper & lower body weights.
Any and all additional advice is welcome. Thanks!

I'll add one of my fav quotes: "Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really understand the situation"- Edward R. Murrow
OR..."You can't always get what you want, but if you try, sometimes, you'll get what you need"- Mick Jagger

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stomatador
22 trips up Old Main Hill (124 steps) with 10 burpees each time, at a pace of just under 3 minutes per.

I've now completed 8650 of the 10,000 burpee challenge and plan to finish in a total of 40 days averaging 250 burpees/day.
I climbed those steps for 2+ years because I was too cheap to buy a parking pass. laugh

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Skill:
Banded KB swings
10X5 with 53# KB

Workout(s):
400m Rum
40 burpee box jumps
40 KB swings 53#
40 med ball slams 20#
13:15

10min ARAP - double unders
145 reps

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Small world.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. Spent a lot time looking at plants while there. And sheep.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Diddywahdiddy

What routine do y'all suggest, if at all, with the kettle bells?
I can't really run, substituting the elliptical or stair master due to the left knee DJD,
so would swimming add anything to it?

If you go to onnit.com and look in the "academy" section, you can click on exercises or training and find different individual exercises with kettle bells and different workouts with kettle bells. That's where I found the one I tried a few days ago. Some of the exercises they show don't require you to bend down as far as a squat/power clean/dead lift with a barbell would. That may be easier with your knee situation.

I've started doing one arm bench with a DB and DB bench alternating arms. I really like it. I lift my legs up on the bench as well. It really keeps your core engaged the entire time.

I don't have the luxury of walking in the hills with a pack either. I will walk and/or run up and down bleachers with a pack on. I also walk on a treadmill with the incline anywhere from 12-15% while wearing a pack. I find it more helpful than just loading up a pack and walking a flat dirt road.

Swimming is an awesome full-body workout. It may be very beneficial because it doesn't put the same stress on your body as lifting does, but still gives you a pretty darn good exercise.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!

Page 91 of 120 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,434
Posts18,470,811
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.