Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
cwh2, how did you get the second one off of the ground?

For the record, this is not a recommendation, and may go against your #1 rule.

This was the first attempt:
[Linked Image]

That... didn't work out, and tried to bonk me on the head as it came over. Luckily, there is nothing in there to hurt. So I tied it on sideways, got it up on the rest of that log that is in the background, and got in the straps. Then I broke a strap and had to do a little repair and start over. I kind of think it is good to practice heavy & awkward as long as you don't get hurt, and that was just a funny way to do it.

It was just under a mile, so not really that crazy of a workout, and I had an axe with me, so it wasn't backpacking, in the classic sense.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I see a leverage problem.

You don't understand physics, do you? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ironbender
Thanks. We get a bit of snowshoeing in, but it's recreational, not a 'workout'.

Are you using mountaineering crampons or Katoolahs or the like?

For sheepish stuff, I use the Katoolah steel crampons. These here.

For trails where there may be ice, I have some hillsound ones that are more like microspikes or basically just a better version of yaktrax. They are way easier to take off/put on, so you are more likely to use them instead of waiting until you have gone too far.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I was thinking of the Katoolah micro spike.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's sweet. I've thought about doing same, and now I'm going to have to. Packing a cord of wood out on your back will get the legs working.

Originally Posted by cwh2
Go for it penguin... it may turn into a goat rope, but I almost always learn something in these threads.

I haven't been to a gym in... at least 10 years. Well, physical therapy to fix an ankle, but that isn't really a gym. I have a squat rack and a barbell at home. I also have all the necessary "equipment" to do pullups, pushups, situps etc. The "gym" can really be wherever you want it to be.

Free lawnmower and a pack frame can make a pretty good workout. Especially if you don't mow for 2 weeks in the summer.
[Linked Image]

Hike in somewhere and carry something home. You'll find it under the crossfit WOD (Wood of the Day).
[Linked Image]

Spend a couple hours splitting wood with a splitting maul. Caution: risk of injury is high if you don't pay attention.

One of my recurring workouts this summer was to do "sprints" up the hill behind the house with the pack loaded with split wood. Another was to lift a big spruce round from the ground to over my head 20 times, then rest for a minute. 5 sets of that, done as fast as possible is surprisingly effective at making you nauseous.

I have to mix stuff like that up. Repetition kills motivation for me. Doesn't hurt my feelings if I can do something productive while "working out".

Last edited by Calvin; 01/21/14.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Penguin

I have thought about starting a work-out thread on this forum a few times. Just so folks could get an idea of what other guys are doing and how it is working out for them. Check in, post what you did that day, a goal set or reached, that sort of thing. Even a link to a Dailymile page would work.

Start it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago in high school the marine corp. came to the high school and tested every kid for fitness. At that age most 15-18 year olds could hike endlessly

So I thought the little fitness test the marine corp gave students in their teens might set some level or base line.

Here are the events and standards they scored with:

Push-ups 100 in 2 min. No resting only enough pause to get a deep breath. A marine held his fist on the floor under your chest and only counted those that touched.

Sit-ups 100 in two minutes, marine held your ankles and counted. Hands behind your head knees bent

Chin-ups 20 no time limit, dead hang for each one. Marine counting only the good ones

One mile run 6 minutes

Wind sprint in the gym
They had four blocks of wood the size of a blackboard eraser. Placed at 1/4-1/2-3/4& full court. There was a five gallon pail at the start. The object was to run get the first block return to the bucket put it in the bucket. Then the next one and then the third one, and fourth one.

I think you had a minute to complete it, and top scores were in the 45sec range. I honestly cannot remember this one event perfectly for the time.

Each event was worth 100 points, the high scores were in the 480-490 range for about 10-12 people, the majority were in the 375-400 range.

For whatever this is worth

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I was in college, the Marine Corps PFT included pull-ups, crunches and 3-mile run. 100 points maximum for each event. The max pull-ups was 20, 100 crunches in 2 minutes and 18 minutes for the 3-miles run. I could max out the first two events but never ran faster than 18:30 timed.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I was in middle school/high school, sub 6 minute miles could be done without much practice. As well as everything else on that list. Oh how things have changed..(grin)

When I was in the swimmer program in the USCG, we'd do 5mile runs in 30 minutes. If any of us fell behind, the guys in front had to do pushups till the lagger caught up, and we still had to finish (all of us) in under 30 minutes, or it'd be hell to pay. Good times..(grin)

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Side note, I was getting some PT on my shoulder today at Steadman-Hawkins Clinic Denver, which is top notch. They have probably 12 PTs and 4-5 Orthopedic surgeons. I asked my PT if they get many customers as a result of cross fit injuries. Her reply:

"Don't get me started."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ah, yes. Again we see the "skip the carbs, and eat lots of protein." This in spite of the fact that no accepted studies have ever proven any harm from eating complex carbohydrates. Quite the opposite.
Much more than one gram of protein for every seven pounds of body weight either is converted to fat and stored as such or is converted to glucose because the person isn't eating enough carbohydrates. When that happens, there are no amino acids to not only build muscle, but the other things like antibodies, etc. can't be made by the body unless it breaks down one's muscle tissue to make them.
You guys that ignore the facts better make sure you eat those proteins throughout the day to keep your blood sugar levels up. Don't be surprised if you keep getting heads cold and flu like symtoms. Yes, you can eat enough of them to do both jobs, but, unlike eating complex carbs, the body will not convert any extra protein to glycogen and store it for use later in the day. That and the fact that you best make sure you don't drift into protein poisoning. That kills.
But the worst is this idea that soon we are going to see increased acceptance of testosterone and steriod use. This is absolutely nuts. You should see what the medical community has to say about this. In short, you are asking for all sorts of problems, some of them quite serious. Especially as you get older.
Good luck. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In short you should try and keep up with current research on proteins and testosterone instead of repeating what you read 20 years ago.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by battue
In short you should try and keep up with current research on proteins and testosterone instead of repeating what you read 20 years ago.

+1

Ed T

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Ah, yes. Again we see the "skip the carbs, and eat lots of protein." This in spite of the fact that no accepted studies have ever proven any harm from eating complex carbohydrates. Quite the opposite.
Much more than one gram of protein for every seven pounds of body weight either is converted to fat and stored as such or is converted to glucose because the person isn't eating enough carbohydrates. When that happens, there are no amino acids to not only build muscle, but the other things like antibodies, etc. can't be made by the body unless it breaks down one's muscle tissue to make them.
You guys that ignore the facts better make sure you eat those proteins throughout the day to keep your blood sugar levels up. Don't be surprised if you keep getting heads cold and flu like symtoms. Yes, you can eat enough of them to do both jobs, but, unlike eating complex carbs, the body will not convert any extra protein to glycogen and store it for use later in the day. That and the fact that you best make sure you don't drift into protein poisoning. That kills.
But the worst is this idea that soon we are going to see increased acceptance of testosterone and steriod use. This is absolutely nuts. You should see what the medical community has to say about this. In short, you are asking for all sorts of problems, some of them quite serious. Especially as you get older.
Good luck. E

Do I hear a Parrot??

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by battue

+1

+2. Or maybe (gasp) actually try it. See if you get the dreaded head colds and flu-like symptoms. I know, that's ridiculous.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
First, nutrition. It's real simple- lots of meats, lots of vegetables, some fruit, few carbs and no sugar. Stay on the outside of the grocery store and avoid fake food.

First of all, he said "few carbs" not skip the carbs. But really, people who read this and don't realize there are plenty of carbs in vegetables and fruit need to brush up on their knowledge of nutrition.

Nobody took issue with the "no sugar," but there's plenty of sugar in fruits and vegetables too.

It's all about where you get your carbs--white rice and white bread, not so good. Vegetables and fruit, good.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Good luck. E

So what you're saying is that before a eurocentric diet hit the arctic zone there were a bunch of fat, sickly Inuit inhabiting the icepack for eons considering over 90% of their diet was animal based?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, exactly, that's why they had all those health problems. Wait a minute, those didn't start until they adopted a diet filled with starch.........

Last edited by smokepole; 01/22/14.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a wonderful book (long out of print) called "Arctic Manual" written by Vilhjalmur Stefansson who was an early, cutting edge arctic explorer, 1910's 20's. Before leaving for a major expedition and clarify his previous findings of the northern diet Vilhjamur and a partner set out a dietary plan of nothing but animal protein and fat to simulate what they would be consuming on the ice pack. After one year of said diet they received a clean bill of health and headed north.

Another book with a more detailed account of Inuit dietary consumption back in the day is "Kabloona" by Gontran de Poncins. Brings a whole new meaning to the concept of sushi!
Suffice it to say the northern peoples were very healthy.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
And alchohol and free money. I wonder what their life expectancy was, if you factored in that they lived in a very harsh and dangerous environment.
Steve

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

310 members (29aholic, 45_100, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 45 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,975
Posts18,519,835
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.