Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One of the nicest, cleanest pre 64 Model 70's I have seen in a long while, here is an extra clean FWT in 308. Original owner tells me this came from momma with this recoil pad and some books indicate that these did come that way at times. That said, I am NO expert on pre 64's except in the fact that I love how they work and are dead tough reliable. Whether factory or not, here it is and it is PRETTY. Bolt face looks nearly unfired, and the extractor blade looks uncycled. Blueing and stock finish are absolutely perfect, as you will see in the photos. Heck, even the sight HOOD is still there! Not at all common on these, as the hoods tend to go flying off when the rifle is fired.

I Can consider a partial trade for a Smith and Wesson 357, or a lightweight 44 revolver such as a Titanium Taurus, Smith 329PD, Charter arms Target bulldog etc and I would love to have another Kel Tec PMR30 as well. Description is accurate, and photos are many so all sales final.

$1195 shipped to your FFL or C&R, slightly less if purchased in conjunction with its littermate, a 1946 Transition model in 270 with a Malcolm Smith Model G scope, also listed here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/38380054_zpsa03c220a.jpg[/img]

For the smart alecky types, no there is not a bipod or detachable magazine with it! grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a very nice looking rifle. Good luck with the sale.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DOM?

What version of 357 Smith you looking for?

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stock has been chopped, pad added ? What is LOP?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Stock has been chopped, pad added ? What is LOP?

I am not sure you are correct about that, I was told it was factory. I have not measured the LOP. Feels about like any other regular factory stock.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The recoil pad has me wondering as well... Everything I can find on the factory recoil pad option from Winchester involved their solid red recoil pad, that they used on their magnums. From what I read Winchester didn't use a honey comb recoil pad. Now if that recoil pad says Winchester mystery solved. Where are the Winchester experts at on this as well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're over on the Winchester Collectors Forum reading Mark's for sale add there before he post it here, on The Classified Forum...

"I am sincerely hoping that a member in good standing here at this forum will be able to stake a claim here and not make me offer these up to the classifieds only hawks at that forum.

Good luck gentlemen!

mark"

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My FW 308 has aluminum butt plate

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
My FW 308 has aluminum butt plate

Yes, that is the earlier version.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes the featherweights came with a aluminum butt plate then in 58 I think they switched to plastic. I could be wrong on the year they switched to plastic in might have been 59.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The Checkering size & quality went to he!!,about the same time the plastic buttplates went on !
That looks to be the early Checkering ,A very nice piece,in great condition!

Last edited by nitrosonic; 01/23/14.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Yes the featherweights came with a aluminum butt plate then in 58 I think they switched to plastic. I could be wrong on the year they switched to plastic in might have been 59.

'59..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
One of the nicest, cleanest pre 64 Model 70's I have seen in a long while, here is an extra clean FWT in 308. Original owner tells me this came from momma with this recoil pad and some books indicate that these did come that way at times. That said, I am NO expert on pre 64's except in the fact that I love how they work and are dead tough reliable. Whether factory or not, here it is and it is PRETTY. Bolt face looks nearly unfired, and the extractor blade looks uncycled. Blueing and stock finish are absolutely perfect, as you will see in the photos. Heck, even the sight HOOD is still there! Not at all common on these, as the hoods tend to go flying off when the rifle is fired.

I Can consider a partial trade for a Smith and Wesson 357, or a lightweight 44 revolver such as a Titanium Taurus, Smith 329PD, Charter arms Target bulldog etc and I would love to have another Kel Tec PMR30 as well. Description is accurate, and photos are many so all sales final.

$1195 shipped to your FFL or C&R, slightly less if purchased in conjunction with its littermate, a 1946 Transition model in 270 with a Malcolm Smith Model G scope, also listed here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/safariman416/38380054_zpsa03c220a.jpg[/img]

For the smart alecky types, no there is not a bipod or detachable magazine with it! grin

I'm not a Winchester expert, but let me tell you what stands out to me: You have a Type III variation II, which means it was most likely produced in '52. Serial # probably ranges from 206,000-240,xxx. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The stock is not original to the action since it has the small panel checkering which was produced after '59. The 308 fwt's never came with a recoil pad of any kind unless it was special ordered, but like I said the stock does not match the receiver. Mark, give us some more info on this rifle. You can post the first 3 #'s of the serial followed by "xxx" if you prefer, but give us something. The solid bolt knob is a tell tell hint as to when it was manufactured, unless this is a put together rifle. It's a nice fwt, but there are a couple things here that don't match up.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is all good information, gentlemen. I am away from the home right now and cannot get a look at the rifle but surely will later today and get back with you.

I am not a Winchester expert, so all of this is helping me with my learning curve. No one at the Winchester Forums mentioned any of these possible discrepancies. I may have to revise my price on this one down to a good shooter grade price.

MARK

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by GeoW
They're over on the Winchester Collectors Forum reading Mark's for sale add there before he post it here, on The Classified Forum...

"I am sincerely hoping that a member in good standing here at this forum will be able to stake a claim here and not make me offer these up to the classifieds only hawks at that forum.

Good luck gentlemen! Yeah,but it is $100.00 less to the classified hawks than the serious collectors!Also note that he spent money he didn't have to get these.

mark"

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Open to offers and cash/trade ideas

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
A partial serial number would answer a lot of questions, plus a lop measurement. The pad appears to be an aftermarket modification.
Good luck out there.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
in my opinion it is not an original pad, and is it me or does it look like it has been sanded and a light coat of varnish.....or maybe it is just my classified hawk eyes

guns to me are like legal crack
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
How much you asking now, or is price the same?

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

263 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.