Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pod
stripbuckhunter:
I wear the same wings as dave in w,v,they didn't come free or without paying a price to have the privilege to wear them and serve. that was my choice of direction and you wouldn't understand the obligation many feel as a payback to the privilege of living in this place I call home. I was taught I had an obligation to give something back. all males in my family served that being my dad and his three sons [all combat vets] you are free to vent your personal negative views towards us because over the decades the vet stood tall without reservation and put his safety and well being aside for what you now enjoy. I drag a leg around a crippled hand and carry multiple other wounds with me every day but it was a small price for 6 decades of freedom and peace of mind. I only mention these facts at this juncture in my life because after over 60 years of listening to ass holes like you and keeping silent. I figure this may be my only shot at finally telling the likes of you off. there is more of us than you thank god. [ I feel better now should have vented years ago]GOD BLESS AMERICA]

Howdy Pod,

And I almost don't know how to begin as your message is decent, heartfelt, and credible. The only one here. Congratulations.........you are just what I was looking for.

I get your message, and I understand it. Both my grandads volunteered for WWII, plus my grandad's only brother to boot who both ended up on the same boat in Guadalcanal both weren't supposed to say so cuz of too many family members on one boat syndrome. So......they lied. Both ended back here........alive and TOUGH! Both were tough New Mexico countryboys............and both lived into old age.

My great uncle........same age and such as my two grandad men............was it seems the ultimate badass in WWII. He came back blasted and wounded arms and legs.............and he never said another word. He taught me much after that point.......and never said a word and I saw his scars.

My only dead uncle quit college to volunteer for VietNam and was a helicopter pilot and of course ran across enemy lines at night to pickup. This worked and it also failed. He died in 1972 while serving as a trainer pilot in a Cessna 1972 in southern New Mexico after being discharged from Nam. So much for achievement going to Nam efforts.

My dad did 4 years in the Navy, and his brother did 4 years in the Army.

I didn't serve.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
What would they say to your efforts here?

Last edited by pabucktail; 01/23/14.
R
R
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
[quote=pod]stripbuckhunter:
I wear the same wings as dave in w,v,they didn't come free or without paying a price to have the privilege to wear them and serve. that was my choice of direction and you wouldn't understand the obligation many feel as a payback to the privilege of living in this place I call home. I was taught I had an obligation to give something back. all males in my family served that being my dad and his three sons [all combat vets] you are free to vent your personal negative views towards us because over the decades the vet stood tall without reservation and put his safety and well being aside for what you now enjoy. I drag a leg around a crippled hand and carry multiple other wounds with me every day but it was a small price for 6 decades of freedom and peace of mind. I only mention these facts at this juncture in my life because after over 60 years of listening to ass holes like you and keeping silent. I figure this may be my only shot at finally telling the likes of you off. there is more of us than you thank god. [ I feel better now should have vented years ago]GOD BLESS AMERICA]

Thank you for your service!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I didn't serve.

And therefore lies the biggest problem most of your fellow forum members have with your post....

They, like myself, think you would have a lot different attitude if you had of served, and especially if you served in a combat arms capacity, in a combat zone....

you can have your opinion, no one is denying you that.... but when you express it, and express it with anger and what seems like a chip on your shoulder... you just need to face up to the facts that you can piss a lot of veterans off like that...

especially when it is read by guys who served in Nam and were spit on and had insults thrown at them coming home and just getting off the plane....by people who hadn't served....

you think WE don't "get it".. and we think the same about you...with this opinion... and your post above came across to me like you think you are some sort of victim here...

and I can't speak for the others, just myself... but for myself, I just ain't buying it... not a word of it...

you don't like it, write your congressman & Senator...not post it on the internet.. that wasn't exactly a brilliant move on your part...

so have a better day tomorrow, but remember, many of those before us, fought so that you could have the freedom to abuse your first amendment rights and make a jackassss out of your self...that is your prerogative.. and our response to it is ours...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't serve.

Oh, I dunno'

I'd venture that you serve ADMIRABLY,

......if serving as a perfect example all that's petty, mean, un-manly, chicken chit, and generally warped in perspective were one's goal,.......You've found your "Niche".

You're getting a LOT more "Respect" from most of the guys here than you'll ever get outta' me.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 01/23/14.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My father, Master Sergeant Lloyd A. Powell, 1st Squadron 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Viet Nam March 1967 Operation Junction City. Dad was recovering after two actions in which he was twice cited for valor and wounded in action. He is also a Korean War vet. The guy with him is an Australian Army corporal.

Expat

[Linked Image]

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not to the same level as some of the guys here but the guy in the tractor is my father in law....he jokes he spent the Korean War in swim trunks cause his job was pulling PBM's in and out of the water in the Philippines and Japan..

[Linked Image]

dad didnt serve during Vietnam cause he had flat feet and unfortunately i dont have any pics of all my uncles that served....my uncle Scott was a navigator for a nuclear sub....my dads brothers were in the Army, Air Force, Navy and Marines.....they pretty well covered the spread laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
To all those who have been down range...God Bless you, and thank you

That's not enough. They want something more......just by the fact that they post this stuff here.......continually. What is it that they want?

Go [bleep] yourself you pos! Why do you post here? FOAD

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
SBH, You're as full of schitt as a christmas goose, but I'd still defend your RIGHT to say the dumb-azz'd schitt you spew.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
My great grandfather, Wade Vanderpool, during WWI. I never met him, and don't know any details about his service other than he went to Europe.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm just taking my glance down off of a letter under glass, typed up on some old ribbon typewriter. Letterhead (very plainly) says,
"The Secretary of the Navy". It's signed James Forestall.

......My Dad's Legion of Merit.

He was a quiet hero, and a real leader.

He very truly, and in EVERY sense of the word, FOUGHT for us.

.....growing up with a man like that around,....how LUCKY am I ?

...not to mention Blessed.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I served and I'm sorry to say with what the military and country has become I will not encourage my children to serve. I'm ashamed to admit it but that's how I feel.

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
not meant as a personal slam LBP... we all have to make our own decisions and serving your country, you earned the right to say and feel anything you darn well feel...

I however, take the opposite view...we need our youth to serve in uniform who were raised with the traditions we were raised with... I know my son was raised to the beliefs I was raised with, and is a pretty conservative kid, loves his country, believes in it, knows how to be a team player, how to think of others...he was a 4.0 student in high school, is a 3.5+ GPS student in college ( even if it is at the local community college), is an Eagle Scout, is an EMT and belongs to the local Explorer Post sponsored by the Ambulance and Air Ambulance company at the local airport...

He is working toward being a qualified Paramedic and Registered Nurse.. once achieving those accomplishments, he is planning to serve his country....

our military needs foundations like that among their ranks.. regardless of what our liberal politicians are trying to turn it into.. I served under Carter, who was an idiot, even if a veteran, and served under Reagan.. and saw the difference under each...

Democrats in office, won't last forever...and the pendulum will swing back to normalcy, after Obama et al are out of office...

our nation needs young folks in our military who still stand by the foundations this nation was built upon...

L
LBP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Seafire,

I didn't take it as a slam at all and you make a darn good point. It just disappoints me to no end what has happened to our country and military. I know your argument is right.

Thanks, Les

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LBP: I agree with you 100%. There is NO WAY I would encourage my son to join today, NO WAY and I did my thirty...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Avoiding the military isn't going to let anyone avoid American 'culture'. Well, maybe, if you move to the Falkland Islands, or someplace similar.

This is the world your kids will have to learn to navigate, and succeed in.

And for SBH, It isn't the members of our military that make the rules regarding standards, benefits, pay, etc. It all comes down from higher (civilian) authority.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My uncle Olin was an acoholic that was very good at woodworking and cabinet making,but allways had a bottle of hooch hiding some where . He loved his family but never had enough money to support them and his habit.

We the family allways kicked in to support the family,but never understood what he was really going through his mind.

He was a member of a B17 flight crew and many times had to pull the mangled gutted bloody crewman out of a bubble turrent,just to jump in and take his place at the gun .

I wish I had known then what I know now,I would never have judged him so harshly.

My Great Grandfather searved in the Illinios Volenteers,Grandfather WW1,Father 7th cav WW2,me Korea,brother Viet Nam 2 tours Marines,Daughter Iraq M-88,so our family is all volentiers.
I made 50.00 per Month for most of my three year enlistment,
you want some of that back?

I get free flue shots and high blood pressure meds,that too much to ask?

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wait here just one minute. I've paid for you. (snip blah blah blah)

I really can't fathom how someone could be that disconnected and selfish.

I have no idea what your financial sitution is, but odds are I've put more into Uncle Sams till than you. I also never served in the armed forces.

My grandfather was gassed by the Germans in WW I, he survived but died when my father was 4 years old and left a widow with two boys to raise during the depression, He paid.

My uncle was drafted into the Marines during WW II, and you can find his name here http://www.recordsofwar.com/iwo/dead/dead.htm along with 6000 others. He paid.

I would gladly give every penny I had to have had the opportunity to have met either of those great men.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
[quote]

un-manly, chicken chit

GTC

And here you are again, Greg, leading the name-calling charge and insults during your priceless moments of dementia. Just who are you, forum addict and drunk?

Post right here, right now, your address and telephone number, just like you keep doing mine you gutless, yellow coward. Do it right here, right now.....or you are a coward for life and everybody knows it. I'm calling you out right here. Nut up or shut up.

Post it here right now...or STFU forever, and go back to nailing the goats in your pen.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Only do that when communicating with friends, feces breath.
There is an established protocol for "campfire call outs" that seems to gave worked out well.
I'd suggest that we meet under a bridge somewhere,.....you pick one and post a date and time,.....

GTC

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (2ndwind, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 270cowboy, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,148
Posts18,523,350
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.