Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
What is so bad he bought two pre 64 and looks like he got burned real bad on them. I feel for the guy to a certain extent. He is out spending money he probably shouldn't be spending. I suspect he gave a lot more for that featherweight than what it is worth. The transition pre-64 if it is true that its a 1946 made one and one fella pointed it out the rear bridge was not drilled and tapped for scope mounts in 1946 that didn't come along until 1948 that's what one of the posters said. If that's the case I was always told $250 dollars a hole on the pre-64 so take $500 off the transition pre-64. He saw pre-64's possible quick turnaround and make a few bucks off the deal. In the end it looks like he got a featherweight with the wrong bolt in it, and transition pre-64 with two extra holes in it. Instead of making $2500 plus off the guns he might be lucky to get $1600-$1750 for the pair. He probably gave 2 grand for the both of them.

That is what happens when you are trying to make money at something and you appear to know just enough to be dangerous, (especially to your self.)

Or are willing to bend over your "friends" for your benefit.

The classifieds here were not designed as a "for profit" scenerio, but as a place to sell a gun or two when you get bored with one boomstick, or have your eye on another.

I just picked up a Ruger No. 1 from a member here on the fire.

Beautiful rifle, in great condition, with great set of rings, well packaged, provided me with load data he had used with this rifle, selling it because he felt like it, not because his mortgage was late!!

Lesson to be learned by all. Some here are all about the profit, not about the fun of it.

If you want to pad your bank account, move your schiet to GunBroker and pay your fees.

JMO,

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
No dog in this fight, but could never imagine this much nastiness over a matched pair of Woodwards. Just sayin. Wow.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GeoW
They're over on the Winchester Collectors Forum reading Mark's for sale add there before he post it here, on The Classified Forum...

"I am sincerely hoping that a member in good standing here at this forum will be able to stake a claim here and not make me offer these up to the classifieds only hawks at that forum.

mark"

I believe this is called szchitting where you eat/sleep.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Might be an accurate assessment too. Just watching.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bufaf
If anybody would actually READ what he's been saying, they would know that he does not have access to the rifles at present as he's in CA at medical appointments while the rifles are at home in WA. It's not difficult to understand why he can't provide serial numbers/LOP, etc.

According to the OP, he was home Saturday night through Sunday morning. Took the time to tell us all about his ailments, and make posts on other threads, but still no serial number.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I understand why no serial numbers are forth coming.
All it could possibly lead to is more criticism.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fluffy
I understand why no serial numbers are forth coming.
All it could possibly lead to is more criticism.

You really need to change your sig. I'm in west TX and every time I see that I'm left wanting!

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are some nice Tall Pines
smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
What is so bad he bought two pre 64 and looks like he got burned real bad on them. I feel for the guy to a certain extent. He is out spending money he probably shouldn't be spending.

Don't be fooled. He knows exactly what he is doing. He knows what to post and what to not post, otherwise all questions would have answered long ago.

This ain't Safariman's first rodeo. He knows his guns. Don't believe the dumbass part he loves to play in these situations.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ever eat a pine tree?

Sorry.

Memories....

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by bufaf
If anybody would actually READ what he's been saying, they would know that he does not have access to the rifles at present as he's in CA at medical appointments while the rifles are at home in WA. It's not difficult to understand why he can't provide serial numbers/LOP, etc.

According to the OP, he was home Saturday night through Sunday morning. Took the time to tell us all about his ailments, and make posts on other threads, but still no serial number.

Originally Posted by safariman
I am away from the home right now and cannot get a look at the rifle but surely will later today and get back with you.

Edited to add, that was posted on the 24th.

Last edited by GreatWaputi; 01/27/14.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All side issues and agendas aside, this was bound to happen.
The Winchester Model 70 pre'64 market has become a cottage industry because it is so specialized. If anyone has spent anytime in the Rule book, you know that the 27 year manufacturing
history is complicated. Why people were clamoring for the serial number is that it represents the "dob" for the rifle. That month and date represent an era in the manufacturing history that indicates what the rifle should "look like". There probably is no other rifle out there where the serial number means so much!

The cottage industry I spoke of means that there are people who not only specialize in this Model as a legitimate seller, but those who alter rifles to put them in another era of higher value. Not all rifles can be altered, but certain variants can be tweaked into something else and something many times their original value. Because there is money to be made, there will be those willing to counterfeit.
This does not mean to impugn the integrity of this seller!

It is not all that uncommon that someone trying to sell a rifle, is actually peddling a counterfeit variation and truly doesn't know it! Neither he or the eventual buyer realizes they have an altered Model 70. Some of these guys can be really talented.

The bottom line is that Model 70 collectors will always scrutinize a sale with a suspicious eye and a skeptical attitude. That trait came out here and spooked the seller who could have easily settled any concern with two bits of information. Good luck to all of us.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 01/27/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Approaching 11K views, can't understand why those three little words have not been typed yet.

grin

Black Cows Matter!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
All side issues and agendas aside, this was bound to happen.
The Winchester Model 70 pre'64 market has become a cottage industry because it is so specialized. If anyone has spent anytime in the Rule book, you know that the 27 year manufacturing
history is complicated. Why people were clamoring for the serial number is that it represents the "dob" for the rifle. That month and date represent an era in the manufacturing history that indicates what the rifle should "look like". There probably is no other rifle out there where the serial number means so much!

The cottage industry I spoke of means that there are people who not only specialize in this Model as a legitimate seller, but those who alter rifles to put them in another era of higher value. Not all rifles can be altered, but certain variants can be tweaked into something else and something many times their original value. Because there is money to be made, there will be those willing to counterfeit.
This does not mean to impugn the integrity of this seller!

It is not all that uncommon that someone trying to sell a rifle, is actually peddling a counterfeit variation and truly doesn't know it! Neither he or the eventual buyer realizes they have an altered Model 70. Some of these guys can be really talented.

The bottom line is that Model 70 collectors will always scrutinize a sale with a suspicious eye and a skeptical attitude. That trait came out here and spooked the seller who could have easily settled any concern with two bits of information. Good luck to all of us.

Good post Bigwhoop, but Mark has brought most of this on himself in the past few months. Every time he "speaks", he just digs the hole a little deeper.

He got me several months back with a .270 Weatherby that wasn't worth nearly what he claimed. I know he had my trade "sold" before it ever got to him. Rather than piss and moan, I sent it off to a local auction and took my lumps. I would have been embarrassed to have my hunting buddies see me with the Weatherby.

IMHO, desperate people do desperate things.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This place is starting to resemble a used car lot, just shortly after a huge flood.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Insurance sales, right?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What pisses me off is when someone is trying to sell something that they don't have yet. I had the same issue with ar33c9. That dude tried selling me a custom folder knife with a picture and description. After a few questions, he admitted he didn't have it yet, but trusted the guy sending it to him. GFY ar33c9.

ar33c9 is strictly on the classifieds. I don't care how many folks were happy dealing knives with him, but he tried to bullshit me until I started asking a few extra questions. He should have been up front first, or waited to sell the knife when he actually had the damn thing in hand.

Here is the ad:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...038/Re_John_Lloyd_Stag_Knife#Post8302038

John Lloyd Stag

There are some very minute scratches on the right side (have to turn the knife just right in the sun to see them) and a few spots of discoloration near the tip on the right side as well.

I tried to capture them with the camera, not sure they'll show up though.

Overall length is about 6 1/4" with a 2 7/8" blade (from tip to front of bolster)

Beautiful knife with a very affordable price. $195 shipped, Reduced $180 shipped paypal as goods or USPS Money order, first I'll take it.

I really got pissed when he said: I tried to capture them with the camera, not sure they'll show up though. He didn't even take the [bleep] picture!

I suspect safari sells a lot of stuff without having them in hand, and it's time to clean house of the bulshitters.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 01/28/14.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by donsm70
desperate people do desperate things.
This quote by Don sums it up well.

Some people will f*ck there own Mother to make a buck.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
just don't be f*cking my mama smile

Last edited by ned; 01/28/14.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I haven't dog piled on any of these Safariman threads but damn dude.......you really need to step back from the classifieds for a while and rethink what the he'll you are doing here. The issues with the items you sell and the issues with the transactions after you sell stuff is like a broken record. And please stop telling everyone about your health issues, it's pretty clear that the sympathy factor has long since worn out.

That pretty much sums it up.

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 35, AceBall, achlupsa, 12 invisible), 1,734 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,760
Posts18,514,972
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.