Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BuzzH

Huntsonora, I think you're treading on some thin ice looking at wildlife management of any type on a purely economic level�.

I think its foolish and irresponsible to look at every program from a simple dollar value assigned, just like you did in your post above. While your numbers are accurate, you didnt take into account the benefit of spreading pressure around, giving hunters a place to hunt, and the CDOW getting the management (via access) they need in those areas�.

The number one reason why people either dont start hunting, or quit hunting, is because they dont have a place to go and/or access. Thats a fact well documented in various USFWS reports conducted nation wide.

BuzzH, in the words of Ricky Bobby, with all due respect, and remember I'm sayin' with all due respect, those comments ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin gettin' it on grin I'm kidding but I was about to open my comments with "with all due respect" and I thought about Ricky Bobby and had to laugh

First of all, I will answer the questions and statements you expressed that I feel educated enough to speak on. I simply do not know enough about our fisheries program to be able to make an educated comment and as for outfitters, they are not regulated by Colorado Parks and Wildlife but by DORA which stands for Department of Regulatory Agencies.

I don't know if you read my entire post earlier and maybe you just got caught up in the numbers I was posting but a big, and I mean BIG, reason I am against BGAP is because of the quality, or lack thereof, of the hunt it provides. As I mentioned earlier the good, huntable habitat available is just a portion of the actual acreage leased. An archery hunter might be able to get away from the masses due to lack of guys hunting but I have literally been shocked on numerous occasions that I didn't see somebody get hurt or worse due to all of the people crammed into small areas during the rifle hunts. I am sorry but when you see 10 people hunting a creek bottom that is less than a mile long or when you see 10 people in a 320 acre field, all firing at the same animals I think you would agree. You would be stunned if you had seen some of the actions and behaviors I have seen in these BGAP areas. You claim that the BGAP program spreads pressure around" and I can tell you from firsthand experience that it does the exact opposite, it actually focuses the pressure to just a few areas. I have seen entire age classes of deer wiped out during a season. Its sad really. You also claim that the number one reason people don't start hunting is due to lack of opportunity yet a significant portion of the land area of Colorado � over 35% � is public land. These public lands include forests, wildlife refuges, monuments, wilderness areas and lands managed by the BLM and there are OTC elk tags available to anybody that wants one and there are always leftover tags available after the draw. Opportunity abounds here in Colorado

The value in wildlife resources is only realized if the public has access to them...both consumptive and non-consumptive access. If the CDOW has to pay to get that access in some cases, so be it.

I think you need to pull away from your tunnel vision and think big-picture.

Also, you can blow smoke all you want, but the days of walking up and knocking on doors and gaining access for free are largely OVER

Buzz, I gain access by knocking on doors all the the time. Landowners are receptive to letting people hunt in a lot of the areas I frequent. All it takes it time to get out there to meet people. I know a number of people on this website alone that hunt ground they don't have to pay for and they got permission by working for it, not by waiting around until Colorado Parks and Wildlife leased ground for them. I assure you that I am not blowing smoke here and that you may be the one with blinders on if you feel that obtaining access is impossible.

Instead of whining about a program, why not try to improve it?

At least I post facts and figures when I state my case as to why I feel BGAP is a failed program. There are some here that have nothing to focus on other than the fact that I guide hunts for a living and they feel I simply don't like the competition. Thats almost comical considering I have literally gone out and found deer in these units I guide in for 24HCF members in the past and will happily do so in the future. I have always given my honest opinions and not blown smoke up anybodies arse to further my own agenda. Some guides might, I don't.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buzz, one last question, have you hunted BGAP areas here in eastern Colorado in the past? Have you ever hunted eastern Colorado and if so when was it?

Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt there a lot and I think you are spot on regarding the quality of land leased by state in the BGAP. That program should end. Lot of people on the plains will give you permission to hunt if you go knock on doors in spring and early summer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
Why do you not have a problem with this program then? We are paying to be able to hunt state land! None of them near where you guide? I hate seeing the scurvy public when I'm out trying to chase muley bucks grin

http://wildlife.state.co.us/LandWater/StateTrustLands/Pages/stl_info.aspx

Actually, there is a state lease that borders my families ranch in eastern CO. I simply do not know enough about the program to comment on it. I do know that state ground has been leased for many years for ranching, farming etc and that the funds from those leases go towards schools, public buildings, prisons and a few other things. I do not have the facts and figures available to comment but I am curious and will check it out. Sorry I did not respond yesterday, it was a long day

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Buzz, one last question, have you hunted BGAP areas here in eastern Colorado in the past? Have you ever hunted eastern Colorado and if so when was it?

Thanks

Buzz,

If you have hunted BGAP and had a positive experience I would love to hear about it

Thanks

Last edited by huntsonora; 12/12/13.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Thanks

Buzz,

If you have hunted BGAP and had a positive experience I would love to hear about it

Thanks

Buzz,

I am writing another article on the eastern plains, similar to the one I have in Muley Crazy this issue, and would love to hear any positive feedback you have about BGAP. I try to be objective but have yet to find anybody with anything good to say about the program.

Thanks

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
BGAP is going away in Colorado. That's what I've heard anyway.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PassCreek
BGAP is going away in Colorado. That's what I've heard anyway.

I have heard the same thing from some reliable sources but it hasn't been announced publicly yet so I am still looking for a success story. The way BuzzH talked it seemed like he had a lot of experience with the program

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

698 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 163bc, 73 invisible), 3,242 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,542
Posts18,510,049
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.