Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Of course it is!

One of the problems here is that while 7-08 throats and magazine lengths are very consistent, they're not in 7x57's.

Many people measure "capacity" of a case by filling it with water to the mouth. However, this doesn't measure effective powder space, with a bullet seated.

Since 7x57 throats and magazine lengths vary considerably, effective powder capacity can also exceed the 7-08 considerably. As a result the 7x57 can run 100 fps faster than the 7-08 at the same pressure, basically landing right between the 7-08 and .280.

Whether any of this makes the slightest difference is another question.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Any difference is difference enough to wring out both...

Defend the Constitution
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yes,it's the same as their printed manual.

Yep, that's good. Thanks. I'll print some out and make some comparisons. Tough to do on this phone.

Elk:

I printed both 7x57 and 7-08 load data, 140-175 gr loads, and the 7x57 is loaded consistently and considerably slower than the 7-08. So it looks like Nosler is loading them down as well.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
They are. And even if they weren't, you'd still have to do all your load work up over a chronograph because we have no idea what Nosler's chamber/throat looked like.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by mmgravy
Agree totally with ingwe.... and to answer take a knee on not going .280, simple answer, it just isn't a 7x57.

I solved that issue by ownwing both. grin And I don't think I could decided which one to get rid of if I had to.

Win M70 fwt, push feed 7x57. My favorite to carry and the action is smmooooth as glass.

Rem 700, ss adl action, 22" pac-nor ss barrel, Micky Rem Mt. Rifle stock in "snow camo", Timney trigger, Leupold VX-3 2.5-8.

Don't make me choose. smile

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deflave
They are. And even if they weren't, you'd still have to do all your load work up over a chronograph because we have no idea what Nosler's chamber/throat looked like.

Travis

Yep, seems that way. What about pressure? Any way to calculate that instead of looking for blown primers, sticking bolts, etc?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yes. When your chronograph reads remarkable speeds, you done gone too far.

When it reads what you would deem as reasonable (I used 7-08 data and added 50fps) then you done reached your goal. You might be 3gr's over "max" in the book, or you might be 1gr under "max" in the book, but the chronograph doesn't lie.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Being completely new to reloading, a chronograph is a necessity? I know it is eventually, but should I get one pronto?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tzone
Being completely new to reloading, a chronograph is a necessity? I know it is eventually, but should I get one pronto?

Yes.....unless you like running a bit blind. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Yes.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 20 years ago I bought a Rem 700 7-08 to see what all the buzz was about. Two or three years later in went down the road as part of a gun trade. The 7mm Mausers stayed in the safe.

Two years ago a neighbor fell into some hard times and was selling off guns and I purchased a Model 70 7-08 from him. Phfft! I was right the first time...could not see what all the buzz was about. The neighbors ship came in and he asked if I still had the Model 70. You bet, you want it? The 7mm Mausers are still in the safe.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Of course it is!

One of the problems here is that while 7-08 throats and magazine lengths are very consistent, they're not in 7x57's.

Many people measure "capacity" of a case by filling it with water to the mouth. However, this doesn't measure effective powder space, with a bullet seated.

Since 7x57 throats and magazine lengths vary considerably, effective powder capacity can also exceed the 7-08 considerably. As a result the 7x57 can run 100 fps faster than the 7-08 at the same pressure, basically landing right between the 7-08 and .280.

Whether any of this makes the slightest difference is another question.

And 100 fps is about what a bullet loses in 25 yards. I have both the 7x57 and 7mm08 but my favorite is the 7mm08.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Any recommended brand?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My 7 mm08 is a Remington 700 Classic. It shot very well right out of the box in 2001 but I had it floated, glass bedded and trigger adjusted down to around 2 1/2#. Also had the barrel shortened to 22" and target crowned. Today, I'd probably look at a Tikka Stainless and may anyway. Or a Winchester M-70 Featherweight. Two 7mm08s wouldn't hurt, would it?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Any recommended brand?

Chrony!

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any recommended brand?

tzone;
I hope this finds you and yours well and sufficiently warm this frigid February morning sir.

While I'm not always sure if my cyber friend Travis has his tongue planted firmly in cheek or not - confused - I'll say that the early model Chrony my good wife bought me way back when has given me acceptable service.

I'd quit chronographing all my test loads until a couple articles by JB shed some light on that foolishness - and I do deem it foolish to not do so now, especially so since I did have a chronograph.

Somewhere, maybe here even, someone suggested running a known load from a .22 across the chronograph every time and that will give you a baseline for your data as they tend to be very consistent.

So I've got a box of Argentine Winchester .22 ammo that gets shot across the Chrony out of my old Brno first and then I know if it's going to be a "weird light" kinda day or not. Hopefully that makes sense?

If others have suggestions for newer chronographs I'd certainly respect their opinion over mine as again our Chrony is ancient.

Hopefully that made sense and was at least a wee bit helpful for you tzone. By all means do drop me a PM if you think I can be of any further assistance.

All the best to you and yours sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No smart asssery on that one Dwayne! I love my Chrony.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My old PACT ate a bullet on purpose, but my ProChrono is very user-friendly.

Now with even more aplomb
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Padre, here is a spot of data that gets into things like effective case capacity and modern pressure. Note it is compiled with a 20" barrel. Proceed with the usual caution....

http://www.realguns.com/loads/7x57mmmauser.htm.

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Any recommended brand?

Tzone, if you are asking about chronograph brands, mine is a 1985 vintage Pact Timer with the Chrono mod in it. If it ever quits on me, I'll probably try a Pro Chrono. An out of state friend has one and raves about it. I had one of the first Chronys before the Pact. It did OK. Made me nervous shooting over it though.

I don't chrono all my workup loads, just when I think I'm getting close to the max or to check velocity for the record. I normally don't load max loads anymore. It's not necessary, that I can see.

Last edited by AnsonRogers; 02/05/14.
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (222ND, 1badf350, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,794
Posts18,516,128
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.