Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 120 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 119 120
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Chrome
Some of the firefighters at work are doing this wod in 40 minutes.

I want those guys coming for me if I'm in a burning building. Good work!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here you go. Who will give it a shot? cry

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I did the "Murph" today. It was definitely tough. My second mile was a full 3 minutes slower than my first. I finished in slightly under 42 minutes.

Treadmills suck heavy ass.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll do it, I'm not scared.....

Maybe 2, maybe 3 rounds with a 20 minute break between rounds whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner
I did the "Murph" today. It was definitely tough. My second mile was a full 3 minutes slower than my first. I finished in slightly under 42 minutes.

Treadmills suck heavy ass.

Tanner

Dude, you smoked it!

What do you weigh ? A buck 08 ?

You need to add some resistance such as a weighted vest or something. Good job for a first time doing the "Murph"!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm 6' and weigh 170, definitely not a lot to move around. I'd probably be shunned for kipping my pull ups, but that's the way I saw people doing it when I YouTube'd the workout.

I thought the 300 squats and the first .25 mile of Mile #2 were the toughest parts.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The push ups and squats are the easiest for me.

I've had both my shoulders operating on so the pull ups have to be slow and controlled for me. They are by far the hardest.

If I could lose about 10 pounds my mile run and pulls ups would be much improved.

Try it in fatigues (long shirt and pants) along with some boots, its a kick tail workout.

Excellent time you had, most guys have to work at developing there technique to get it below 45 minutes.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Smokepole, I've thought about this for a while and now it's time to comment on your nutrition post.
Frankly, your information on "empty carbs" is simply based on alot of popular junk science.
The body simply does not react to eating pasta like it does when sugar is eaten. Pasta takes a long time to digest. Sugar(s) require no digestion at all. That's why they cause an insulin spike in the blood. Pastas do not. This is all based, I'm sure, on the GI Index which has been proven faulty during further studies. What was found is that this index only applies when the listed foods were eaten in pure form. Nobody eats like that.
Insulin has no role in converting carbs to fat. It converts glucose to glycogen which is then store in the liver and the muscles. Too much insulin in the blood stream and that glycogen gets locked up. But normal insulin levels allow that glycogen to be converted into glycose so that the body can maintain a steady level of glucose, also known as blood sugar. Glucose is the body's main fuel. Fats are also burned at a lessor rate when sufficent oxygen is present.
Proteins have nothing to do with the digestion of carbohydrates. But fiber and fats do. So eating some good fats and lots of fiber helps. Another good reason to eat lots of whole grain carbs.
No, a sugar based recovery drink isn't a good idea after a workout. It's agood way to get an insulin spike and feel even more tried and/or hungery. A protein drink will work, but a whole grain snack with both would be better.
Your body builder friend straves himself before a "contest," which isn't a contest at all, but a show. Those guys are very low on energy when they compete, thanks to the starvation routine they put themselves through. Not a good idea at all.
The idea that soy protein is bad for you because of plant estrogens is pure nonsense. They are not the same as human estrogen. There have been no accepted studies that show any of this to be true.
Dark leafy green vegetables have very little to do with maintaining one's blood PH. But they and many other fruits and vegatables are very valuable for many reasons like anti-oxidents, cancer fighting compounds and fiber.
Omega-3 fats have nothing to do with maintaining your body's consumption of calores. If you want that to happen, eat lots of complex, "quality carbs" like the whole grains. If the body's blood sugar level goes down, the consumption of fat also declines. So keep the blood sugat level up with lots of complex carbs and you will burn fat as long as there is enough oxygen present.
Low intesnsity cardio workouts are fine. There is no evidence that they stimulate anything bad and lots of evidence that they do many good things for us.
Again, the body stores extra sugars from carbs as glycogen, not fat. Only in rare circumstances does the body turn glycose into fat. The body can store between 1200-1400 calores from carbs as glycogen for most of us. There is no way any of us can eat that much at one meal. Try eating 12-14 medium sized potatoes which is what it would take to fill up one's storage capacity.
I see your friend admits that his crash diets to make himself look good runs him down alot. What he doesn't understand is that he is also buring up his precious muscle tissue to get the glycose he must have to function. Not a good idea. Don't believe me ? Take a good look at a straving person sometime. No fat, but no muscle tissue either. The body can't use fat instead of glucose to function. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Did it�.hard, but not a beetch. First round two 15 pound weight to see how it went and then moved to two 20 pound weights for the last three. 25 pounds wouldn't have happened. However did rest about 1.5minutes between each round. Thought about stopping after three rounds, but didn't. On a couple routines the last movement was at failure. Good workout. grin

After a rest finished up with some more weights and pull-ups. Then 40minutes of intervals on the treadmill, and a lot of stretching.

Last edited by battue; 02/06/14.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Your opinion is not universally accepted and is being questioned by more than a few. One of them.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/todays-wheat-making-you-gain-weight

Be that as it may, work out hard and often and the rules change. I'm at the gym more than a little and the vast majority rarely-if ever-stress themselves to failure.

Last edited by battue; 02/06/14.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by battue

Be that as it may, work out hard and often and the rules change. I'm at the gym more than a little and the vast majority rarely-if ever-stress themselves to failure.

This is true. Well...maybe they don't "change" but the rules "bend" substantially. wink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And E's food pyramid gospel is based on the average sedentary American. Even most Docs are in the dark when it comes to patients who push themselves to places they can't imagine. Eh, most of them don't impress me all that much re: physical fitness. There are exceptions, but on the whole they are behind the curve and I work with more than a few.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I see your friend admits that his crash diets to make himself look good runs him down alot. What he doesn't understand is that he is also buring up his precious muscle tissue to get the glycose he must have to function. Not a good idea. Don't believe me ? Take a good look at a straving person sometime. No fat, but no muscle tissue either. The body can't use fat instead of glucose to function.

E, you need to do what works for you. Cutting out empty carbs works for me, and it works for a lot of people. And increasing Omega-3's also works for a lot of people.

In my post above, I did not cite any studies and freely admitted that I might have some of the science wrong.

You cited no studies, but seem to think you have a corner on the truth regarding the science. How is that?

And your quote I referenced above is a joke; my friend did not go on "crash diets," he just ate no carbs. Also, you got it wrong. My friend did not say that cutting carbs ran him down a lot, and I said nothing of the kind. What I said was, he continued with his workouts (which by the way include lifting way more than most normal humans can) and felt himself getting weaker. "Weaker" being a relative term; the guy was still lifting more weight than you and I together could, while maintaining a body-builder's physique.

And to be crystal clear, this was in the part of his training cycle where he was trying to get his total body fat down to 5-6%, when he cut ALL carbs, and felt a little weaker. During the rest of his training, which was most of the time, he followed the diet I cited, which did not make him feel weaker, and as I said, he could lift more than you and I combined, including some state records for power lifting.

Bottom line, eat what you want, it makes no difference to me. All I know is that eating what I eat (and working out) has allowed me to more than keep up with guys half my age in the mountains, and these are guys that are in pretty good shape.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm 6' and weigh 170, definitely not a lot to move around. I'd probably be shunned for kipping my pull ups, but that's the way I saw people doing it when I YouTube'd the workout.

I thought the 300 squats and the first .25 mile of Mile #2 were the toughest parts.

Tanner

Naw BRO, kipping is like totally the only way to do pullups broseph.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue

Did it�.hard, but not a beetch. First round two 15 pound weight to see how it went and then moved to two 20 pound weights for the last three. 25 pounds wouldn't have happened. However did rest about 1.5minutes between each round. Thought about stopping after three rounds, but didn't. On a couple routines the last movement was at failure. Good workout. grin

After a rest finished up with some more weights and pull-ups. Then 40minutes of intervals on the treadmill, and a lot of stretching.

Just getting over the flu, second workout since. Did this one for two cycles. Its tough, especially when your out of shape.

The guy in the video makes it look easy, smiling, talking and laughing....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JWP58

Tanner

Naw BRO, kipping is like totally the only way to do pullups broseph.

What's your time for the Murph?

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Insulin has no role in converting carbs to fat.

I didn't say insulin converted carbs to fat, what I said was, insulin spikes lead to bad things happening in your body including storage of carbs as fat:

Originally Posted by smokepole
.... your blood sugar spikes, your body dumps insulin in response, which causes bad stuff to happen including converting and storing carbs as fat in your body.

Insulin spikes cause blood sugar drops, and blood sugar levels influence appetite; it you eat more, especially the wrong foods, you gain weight as fat:

Study links blood sugar imbalance with increased appet
ite

"".....One apparent major determinant of a food�s appetite sating potential is its glycaemic index (which gives a measure of the speed and extent a food releases sugar into the bloodstream). Basically, the higher a food�s GI, the less satisfying it tends to be. Of 20 studies published between 1977 and 1999, 16 showed that low GI foods promoted the satisfaction derived from that meal and/or reduced subsequent hunger [4]. Overall, the results of the studies show that an increase in the GI by 50 per cent reduces the satisfaction it gives by about 50 per cent.

One of the theories about how a food�s GI influences its ability to quell appetite has to do with fluctuation in blood sugar levels. This concept was tested recently in a group of overweight and obese women [5]. All the women in this study were fed the same breakfast and lunch. This was supplemented with a glucose (high GI) drink. On one occasion the women consumed the glucose drink at breakfast. On another occasion, the drink was consumed in eight portions throughout the day. The women had their appetite assessed at hourly intervals during the day, as well as blood levels of both glucose and insulin.

Compared to those taking the sugar drink in eight portions throughout the day, those having it in one sitting at breakfast were more hungry four hours after breakfast and several hours after lunch. These differences appeared to be more closely linked to levels of blood glucose than insulin. The authors of this study concluded that their findings support the idea that changes in blood glucose can affect appetite.

The evidence suggests that those who want to put a natural brake on their appetite should emphasise low-GI foods in their diets. This doesn�t just mean keeping a check on sugary soft drinks, of course. It also means controlling intake of many starchy carbohydrates such as bread and breakfast cereals. It is perhaps the generally high GI nature of these foods which explains why individuals often say that if they eat these foods for breakfast, they get hungrier in the morning compared to eating nothing.""

References:

1. Lean M E, et al. Weight loss with high and low carbohydrate 1200 kcal diets in free living women. Eur J Clin Nutr 1997;51:243-248

2. Wien M A, et al. Almonds vs complex carbohydrates in a weight reduction program. Int J Obes 2003;27:1365-1372

3. Young CM, et al. Effect of body composition and other parameters in obese young men of carbohydrate level of reduction diet. Am J Clin Nutr 1971;24:290-6

4. Roberts SB. High-glycemic index foods, hunger, and obesity: is there a connection? Nutrition Review 2000 58:163-169

5. A high-glycemic meal pattern elicited increased subjective appetite sensations in overweight and obese women. Arumugam V, et al. Appetite;2007 25 July [Epub ahead of print]

And E, before you say this study is "junk science" contrast it with the studies you've cited.

Seriously, I'm not sure why I bother to argue with a guy who continually cites the "food pyramid" as his basis.

Produced by the USDA. Whose biggest constituency is grain farmers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Proteins have nothing to do with the digestion of carbohydrates.

My physician went to Harvard Medical school, and he says otherwise, he's the one who told me to combine protein with carbs to slow absorption. If you don't mind, I think I'll take his word for it.

The idea that soy protein is bad for you because of plant estrogens is pure nonsense. They are not the same as human estrogen. There have been no accepted studies that show any of this to be true.

So, tell me why virtually all women with certain types of breast cancers are told to avoid soy products due to their estrogen content? Estrogen has deleterious effects on their cancers, by the way.

Omega-3 fats have nothing to do with maintaining your body's consumption of calores.

Not according to the study cited below:

"Researchers at the University of South Australia took a group of 75 people who were diagnosed as being either overweight or obese and who had cardiovascular disease risk factors such as high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels, and split them into four groups.

In the first split, half were given doses of tuna fish oil while the other two groups were given equal amounts of sunflower oil, which contains no omega-3 acids. Both groups were then split once more, with half taking no additional exercise each week while the others completed three 45-minute runs, to 75 percent of their maximum heart rates, each week. All participants were asked not to otherwise alter their diets.

After three weeks, three of the groups did not show much change, but the group that was given the fish oil and had exercised had an average weight loss of about 4.5 pounds and a decrease in overall body fat percentage.

Following eight weeks, "a significant three-way interaction between time, group and gender was observed for percentage reduction in weight... with a greater percentage decrease for females in FO compared to PB for weight (-7.21 percent vs. -5.82 percent) and BMI (body mass index) (-7.43 percent vs. -5.91 percent respectively)," said a summary of the study, which was published in the February 2013 issue of the journal Food & Function.

"The results seem more impressive given that no other changes to eating habits were made. Also, the exercise 'regime' was not much more than the recommended levels for everyone; not just those trying to lose weight," writes dietician Juliette Kellow, in WeightLossResources, an online nutrition journal based in Britain. "When combined with a calorie-counted diet and increased exercise, the effects of fish oil on weight loss could prove substantial."

Scientists believe that omega-3 oil improves blood flow to muscles during exercise, and that the compound helps stimulate enzymes that transport fat to where it can be stored for energy.

Once again, before you criticize or find fault with the study cited above, contrast it with the studies you've cited.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Lower body/core workout yesterday, I'll do upper body today.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Smokepole,

E has been preaching this philosophy for years, and while it has a certain amount of merit, he refuses to accept any and all new research that may indicate there is more to be learned and perhaps some of the old theories have flaws.

He believes-at least the last time I saw him post on it-that the government sponsored food pyramid in not influenced in any way by the large food producers. Ha!!!! Give a thunk to the farm bill that was just passed by both parties and follow the money trail.

He talks about running out of energy if you don't subscribe to his way. Well, the fellow that I posted on the video has others where he talks about diet and it sure as heck isn't E's. You think he runs short on energy? There are more than a few others who follow the same principles on eating, and you only have to look at them and compare them to those who follow E's example, and if you have an open mind, it would be hard to not think there may be a better way.

Breakfast of Deer meat, milk and an orange. Protein jump starts the day. I'll pass on the whole wheat biscuits.

Hopefully we can get back on topic. Keep it up guys and girls and keep moving.

Last edited by battue; 02/07/14.

Page 7 of 120 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 673, 79S, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,498
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.