Hop To
Page 8 of 120 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 119 120
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
He believes-at least the last time I saw him post on it-that the government sponsored food pyramid in not influenced in any way by the large food producers.

You're right, I'm wasting my time. In any case, people should read, talk to nutritionists and trainers, and make up their own minds. Off to the gym now......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
With all this talk of the "murph" and like workouts, I guess this isnt the thread for me and my rather pedestrian workouts. Glad to see some real fitness buffs here, but I wont muddy the waters anymore. Sorry fellas.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Penguin Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Berettaman
With all this talk of the "murph" and like workouts, I guess this isnt the thread for me and my rather pedestrian workouts. Glad to see some real fitness buffs here, but I wont muddy the waters anymore. Sorry fellas.

Actually I'd like to encourage you to stick around.

I started this thread more than anything else as just a place to encourage folks to stick with their workout regimens. I am trimming my workout posts to only once a week but that is strictly because it only takes a couple sentences to state what I have done in a week. But I am committed to checking in and seeing how others are coming along and seeing what conversations are being had over different physical fitness subjects.

Motivation aside I thought it would be interesting to see how we progressed over an entire offseason. Are a lot of guys falling off the wagon? Is injury slowing down some folks? Are some folks showing improvement? That kind of thing.

How many times have you seen a guy on the internet post a grueling workout? Before you actually try a system or a workout wouldn't it be nice if you knew whether this guy operates at a very high level and has for some time? Or if he spends months during a year not doing a thing because of injury?

So I say stick around. You never know if something like this might help you stay motivated or answer a question or two you might have.

Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Those who do "Murph" a bit too often are known as "patients" I'm 54, and I typically do "Murph Jr." which is scaled to half of the workload of the original prescribed/Rx workout:

800m run
5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats TEN ROUNDS
800m run

My time is usually a bit over 20min. So what if it takes you 30 or 35 min? Be all you can be.

Crossfit is all about intensity in the workouts, but as its founder stated, "If your workouts typically last longer that 20 minutes, you are doing something wrong". Murph is very much the exception to this, and isn't typical even for Crossfit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Penguin
Before you actually try a system or a workout wouldn't it be nice if you knew whether this guy operates at a very high level and has for some time? Or if he spends months during a year not doing a thing because of injury?

So I say stick around. You never know if something like this might help you stay motivated or answer a question or two you might have.

Will

Exactly, stick around. I don't do the Murph either, but it's good to see what other people are doing. Lots of people come out for a hunt in the mountains without doing anything to prepare. "Pedestrian" workouts put you way ahead of them.

Picture yourself trudging up a hill after a bugling bull and needing to stop every 50 yards to suck wind, that's always a good motivator for me.

As far as coming back from injuries like penguin said, I'm working my way back from a shoulder injury. The older you get, the more frequently something flares up and you just have to lay off for a while. I still can't do a few things I want to, but you can't rush these things.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Your workouts and progress is just as important as anybody else. Stick around, join in and encourage others. wink

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Toby needed some exercise, so he got a 5mile brisk pace walk this afternoon. Climbing in the rower for 30minutes.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Toby??? What were you doin, walking my dog?

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Another coincidence!!!!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Done the farmer's carries a few times now, liking those. Lunges, squats, leg extensions some ab work this am. Shoulder still hurting so not going overboard on bench or shoulder lifts. Wanting to get back on the pullups again but doing lat pull downs for a while to get some semblance of strength back there. Been back at it for around 6 weeks now. Feels good.

TAKs half murph has me interested. Might give that a shot soon. Now I guess I have to go google air squats. Nice to see what others are doing but not really caring about keeping up with anyone. Taking long walks with my wife beats the heck out of running by myself for example. Summer hiking and fishing do look good as well.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Great pic there Battue. The shock collar gave me a chuckle. The one time I tried it on my dog, he was a pup and it didn't phase him, just made him run crooked like a crab for a little bit until he got out of range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Great pic there Battue. The shock collar gave me a chuckle. The one time I tried it on my dog, he was a pup and it didn't phase him, just made him run crooked like a crab for a little bit until he got out of range.

That could be a beeper collar. Those are ruffed grouse and typically found in some pretty thick cover in the east, around here anyway. The beeping helps keep tabs on the dog in heavy cover. Dog goes on point and the beeping stops, letting you know the dog is on point.

And it could be a shock collar. But considering the dead grouse, which are usually very hard to come by, I would suspect the dog knows his business.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A beeper collar? That'll never help make him do the Murph.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And by the way. You guys speak a different language. I try to stay in shape for hunting by hiking, jogging, swinging a kettle bell, biking etc. I eat lots of almonds and dried cranberries. grin
But I don't even know what y'all are talking about, and doubt I could warm up to doing what I DO understand of your strange language.

I've had one shoulder scoped and both knees, each with a torn meniscus. Now the other shoulder is scheduled for surgery on Feb 20. I've been in considerable pain since last Summer and have to get something done. I don't much feel like subjecting my joints to any more abuse than that required to get in reasonably good shape to wander the mountains and gorges in the years I have left.

Some of the stuff y'all describe is brutal. Seems there's fairly easy ways to stay fit without abusing your body...just saying.

You younger guys would do well to go easy on the joints. You only have the ones God gave you. Take good care of 'em while you can.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, Toby is an English field Cocker and he doesn't point but flushes. It is a shock collar. Every once in a while he wants to range a little too far and gets a sound buzz. It is rare I have to give a light shock in that he hears the buzz sound and shortens up. Doubt if I actually shocked him 5 times this past year.

In fact most times I leave it in the truck and only bring it out if needed. Other times I use it when he is hunting with pointers. Their beeper collar goes off when they are pointing and I either hup-have him stand/sit where he is, so not to mess up their point-or give him a sound buzz to bring him in.

Last edited by battue; 02/07/14.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 30338
Now I guess I have to go google air squats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by battue
Well, Toby is an English field Cocker and he doesn't point but flushes. It is a shock collar. Every once in a while he wants to range a little too far and gets a sound buzz. It is rare I have to give a light shock in that he hears the buzz sound and shortens up. Doubt if I actually shocked him 5 times this past year.

In fact most times I leave it in the truck and only bring it out if needed. Other times I use it when he is hunting with pointers. Their beeper collar goes off when they are pointing and I either hup-have him stand/sit where he is, so not to mess up their point-or give him a sound buzz to bring him in.

Ah, so it is a shock collar. I stand corrected. Poor Toby. I've hunted over some Brittanys that had a bad habit of bumping birds a little too far out. Out of range in typical grouse cover around here isn't far because of the density of the cover. They may have been fine on farmland quail but I believe they would point and then keep creeping forward, or maybe the birds just got nervous. Those grouse require strong legs and lungs (speaking of being fit) stomping the thick crap in these mountains. Hearing birds getting up just out of reach after such strenuous work is frustrating.
Great picture and good looking birds (and dog!)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks TAK. I think I need to work on some flexibility apparently. Should be another good exercise to work in.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Yesterday

Power cleans up to 2 rep max 185. I wanted to try 195 but I gave blood and felt a little weak.

3 sets bent over dumbbell rows. 6 @90,100,110

5 rounds as fast as possible
20 kettle bell swings with a 70lb dumbbell
45 sec on air dyne as hard as possible
10 roll outs with a wheel-go from knees to flat to the ground and back up.

I haven't done "Murphy" in a couple years but did it one time in 27 minutes. Not saying I could do it again that fast but I'll try it this year again. It used to come up on the CF main site on St. Patrick's day. The pull ups, push ups and squats are no problem for me its the damn mile before and after.

Page 8 of 120 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 1234, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,986
Posts18,499,852
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.