Hop To
Page 9 of 120 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 119 120
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
27 minutes? Uhhhh....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm no fitness expert, but am convinced that simply staying active is more important than any specific routine.

I drink at least a gallon of water a day, quite often more. I suggest everyone gets into this habit.

I hit the gym 4-5 times a week and rotate between chest/back, arms and leg workouts. Some days I decide to change it up and simply do random core or all body workouts. I also check out 20 year old chicks. Keeps me motivated.

Most weekends (not today because of the 50+ MPH winds) I'll hike 5-7 miles and climb a couple thousand vertical feet. If chuckar season is in, I'll often do that twice a weekend. This time of year I just goof around and look for petroglyphs and bunnies and such.

With this informal routine, I have never had any trouble getting to where I need to be during hunting season.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 30338
Thanks TAK. I think I need to work on some flexibility apparently. Should be another good exercise to work in.

Get a buddy to watch the vid and film you, if you have a "butt-wink" at the bottom of the squat, be REALLY careful doing any sort of loaded/barbell squat until you can maintain that lumbar curve.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Tanner
27 minutes? Uhhhh....

All he had to do was run two six minute miles and then do 600 bodyweight repetitions in 15min. That would be either a pullup, a pushup, or an air squat every 1.5 seconds, not including transitions.

I'd like to see that. Ain't arithmetic a biatch?

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dr. Oz has been severly critized in the University of Califoirnia at Bekeley Wellness Letter for his misleading and down right false statements he has made while trying to promote various so called health products. He has the distinction of being the only member of the medical community to earn such comments in all the years I've read their newsletter. E

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
If it's real, accepted studies you want, buy or borrow a copy on Body Fueling by Robyn Landis. It cites the accredited studies that back up my beliefs. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
27 minutes? Uhhhh....

I couldn't do that time on a bicycle...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You should read the article a little more closly. It was on the Ozz websight, but the opinion is that of another physician.

"Body Fueling: publlished in 1994. Nothing new in your world in the last 20 years?

Last edited by battue; 02/08/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Actually what you cite is good science, but you seem to misunderstand it.
As I've said, the GI has been found to be faulty. That's because when carbs are mixed with other foods, it changes the speed at which complex carbs are converted to sugars and released into the blood stream.
Pure sugars cause an insulin spike particularly when eaten alone as a snack. Mixing them with fat, which is typical in candy bars, doesn't help this.
When consumed in any quantity, sugars hit the blood stream too fast for the body to gauge how much insulin to release to bring the level of blood sugar in the body to proper levels. So it does the only thing it can do. It releases too much insulin. That has the effect of lowering the body's blood sugar level too much. The excess sugars are converted to glycogen and stored in the liver and the muscles. But the excess insulin, which persists for hours, does not allow the body to convert it to glucose to make up for the lack of blood sugar. The result is that the person feels hungry and often eats more, often the same high sugar and fat type snack, to make up for this loss. If that person eats items with fat in them, the fat goes directly to the fat cells and the person gains weight.
So odviously one should attempt to avoid sugars in their diet. Or at least mix them with lots of complex carbohydrates to buffer this effect. The more fiber these complex carbs have, the better. The current Federal Food Guidelines reflect this advice. E

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
You call that a study ? They clearly state that the people in the study didn't eat the same, so other the other items they ate or how much they ate is not accounted for. That is not a controlled study at all.
Second, the differences are pretty small, just a few percentage points. Not significant. E

IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, Battue. The study was sponsored by the government. But it was actually done by a large group of medical and science people who used literally hundreds of studies done over the years. It was done to promote better eating by the people of this country and for no other reason.
It is kind of sad that japanese and rural chinese out live us in spite of our vastly superior health care.
BTW, my doctor, who greduated at the top of class, says I'm the healthiest person he knows in my age group. He is delighted with how I eat. E

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck and don't ever think there is something new to be learned. It obviously has served you well.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Guys I shouldn't have posted that about Murphy, it wasn't to brag, I'm no one special. I was just proud I did it one time that fast. The first time I did it was 40 ish minutes. The last time I did it about two years ago was I think 33. That's kipping pull ups not strict. I didn't mean to come across wrong.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd post it to,that's just a smoking fast time. I've only done the workout once and I imagine shaving time off will happen as I continue to do it. I don't know if I'll get to 27 minutes though! That's awesome.

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Chrome
27 minutes? Uhhhh....

I couldn't do that time on a bicycle...

I don't think Rich Froning could do it either, and he's the "fittest on earth".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimD.
Guys I shouldn't have posted that about Murphy, it wasn't to brag, I'm no one special. I was just proud I did it one time that fast. The first time I did it was 40 ish minutes. The last time I did it about two years ago was I think 33. That's kipping pull ups not strict. I didn't mean to come across wrong.

Its not bragging if you can do it. Excellent time !

The "Murph" is totally personal. Your competing against your self. Every time I do the work out for time my time improves.

A lot of the ultra fit "young" guys generally use a weighted vest. With boots and britches I'm at 250 pounds, so I've got a "natural weight vest". grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, Harry, you gave me some good advice re: arguing with E about this stuff.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
E,

One more and Ill take my own advice and let it drop.

Here is a pic of my Mother and the kids she taught in a one room country schoolhouse; probably from sometime in the late 30s. These kids were on the farm and probably ate a diet that the government in all their wisdom said was sooooo wrong. "Hey, we need a food group chart to show people how to eat healthy. Those people back in the day ate way to much red meat, fat, eggs, whole milk, etc and we have to fix that".

Anyway FWIW, and sometimes the obvious is worth more than a little. Compare the kids of yesteryear and their horrible diet with many of those today. I know, I know there is nothing scientific about a sample of one.

[Linked Image]

Wonder where in the class these kids Doctor graduated? Not sure, but I'm thinking if only obviously they had a better food group chart.

Oh yea, some weights earlier and now the rower.

Last edited by battue; 02/08/14.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not to mention the fact (already mentioned) that anthropologists have documented a few different bad things that happened to humans when we switched from a hunter/gatherer diet to an agricultural diet using grains as staples: shorter life expectancy, smaller stature, and weaker.

Ask a veterinarian whether dogs are better off eating food loaded with grains or without it. The answer is without, and the reason is "because they didn't evolve eating grains."

Well guess what. Neither did humans.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was going to mention the Dog food analogy but forgot. The new theory of today is to feed your Dog a meat based product with limited corn content for the very reason you mentioned.

Page 9 of 120 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 119 120

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (673, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 79S, 2500HD, 15 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,503
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.