Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

I think we could both care less which type of bag either of us uses. laugh

Absolutely right.

Like I said I believe they both have their place. How one sees that place is all that differs. There are lots of ways to skin the cat.

My only disagreement with the one guy here was that keeping a down bag dry in wet environments can't be done. It can. I've done it from the Kenai to Katahdin.

Yep it can be done, I have done it many times....however there are situations where its not the best option for me. But in those wet environments a single wall floorless likely isn't the best either, but I'll keep doing it wink

I'm glad you will never sleep in a syn bag again and jealous as down is more comfy IMO, but after losing loft in my down bag in just two wet nights I'm not going to make that mistake again.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I completely get it. You need to get a Gore-shelled down bag laugh I used Goretex (not Dryloft) covered down bags from 1982 to 1998. They limited the comfort range of the bags slightly, but man did they work in the chit. I don't use them anymore and I think only Dryloft is available these days. $$$

Apart from that, if you're going single-walled and floorless in your corner of the world, I think you're smart to use a synthetic. Me, I'd do a tent and down, but we're arriving at the same destination.

Again, my only point was down can work perfectly well in wet conditions depending on the operator.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
and the tent wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
and the tent wink

Or Dryloft laugh

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only need dryloft if you use a Kimber!

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pgsalton
Also our elk on Afognak are Roosevelt elk, and I bet it is a lot like the Olympic Peninsula. Old growth spruce forest, and it rains a lot.

Patrick

OT as regards sleeping bags, but the Afognak/Raspberry Roosevelt elk came from the Olympic Peninsula. Captured in 1928 and transplanted in 1929.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A lecture on bags from a guy that doesn't even know what a VBL is for is pretty funny.

Certainly is. REALLY funny when "that guy" has spent weeks at a time in sub-zero conditions wearing VAPOR BARRIER boots. Get a clue [bleep].

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
A lecture on bags from a guy that doesn't even know what a VBL is for is pretty funny.

Certainly is. REALLY funny when "that guy" has spent weeks at a time in sub-zero conditions wearing VAPOR BARRIER boots. Get a clue [bleep].

LOL, "VBL Boots"... Did you mean "VBL socks" or "Rubber Boots" (aka Military Mickey Mouse Boots), or maybe a combination of the two?

I always thought VBL socks were a bad idea, but that's me and my feet.

VBL in a down bag at sub zero temps is another thing... good grief.

Hint: the conversation is about sleeping bags. More specifically whether a down bag can be kept dry in a variety of conditions.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Its getting kind of boring watching you two guys argue about who can piss the farthest. try and make a post once where you don't mention the other guy!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only need dryloft if you use a Kimber!

true grin

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

That's because you're stupid, and that has no remedy.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

That's because you're stupid, and that has no remedy.

Good to know... noted and discarded like everything you say! laugh

Dan Adair is your huckleberry... go snuggle. wink

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Alaska_Lanche I love that you check our family blog. I hope you don't have to dig through too many kid pictures to get to the hunting posts.

Also I'm impressed you are off for the South end goat hunting. It'll be cold. I've heard about quite a few others down there this year, and I almost went in the new year myself. Good Luck! Also funnily enough when you are down here I'll be up at meetings in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

And to return to the thread, I too own and very occasionally use synthetic bags. There is definitely a time and place for such bags. But I really do believe that you can get by in most anything with a down bag. But it does take some experience. I've taken people out in the field who seem to manage to get everything they own wet. For those I recommend synthetic!

I have a set procedure that seems to keep my bag dry even in very humid wet circumstances. Number one I use a very breathable bivy bag. I once used a 'emergency bivy' and woke up with a wetter bag than if I had slept outside in the dew. And number 2 I get all the air out of the bag and stow it right away when I get up. If I am at a permanent camp and it is sunny I do leave my bag out to dry on top of my bivy.

Also I just did remember a very wet and miserable Kodiak river survey. We had to break camp in the rain, travel in the rain, and set up camp in the rain - for days. Worms were crawling up the sides of the tents it was so wet. I kept my down bag completely dry in the breathable bivy. Once I was out of that bag it was packed away and kept dry. And it seemed to stay dry too - even when the stuff sack was under water on the bottom of the raft.

Patrick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Patrick,

The whole blog is good sir!!! An awesome Alaskan family taking advantage of what it all has to offer!!!

I'm hoping its not TOO cold, but that might be wishful thinking!!! laugh

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Actually cold and sunny with snow is probably better for goat hunting than wet, grey, and fog down to the water. And I want it to snow so I can ski! Patrick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you kids would take a break from peeing in each other, I have a dumb question I'd like to ask.

What exactly is a bivy bag, what does it do and what is a "good" one vs junk?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by snubbie
If you kids would take a break from peeing in each other, I have a dumb question I'd like to ask.

and while you are answering that question, what, in your experience, is the best thing to wear while sleeping in a sleeping bag?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 22WRF

and while you are answering that question, what, in your experience, is the best thing to wear while sleeping in a sleeping bag?

I guess it would depend on conditions.
I can tell you what works for me in moderately cold weather, meaning down to low 20's.
I wear clean merino base layers and clean merino socks. I sometimes stuff a down vest in my bag for next morning.

I believe this would take me comfortably down into the teens though in my area, or the time of year I go out west, it would be an anomaly for the temps to drop that low.

Guys routinely experiencing more extreme conditions would likely laugh at this but living down south that's just our conditions.

Those guys who have experience in extreme conditions need to chime in.

Last edited by snubbie; 02/15/14.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Is it something like this?

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Terra-Nova-Survival-Bivi_10215878_10208_10000001_-1_

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Those guys who have experience in extreme conditions need to chime in.

I have some limited experience in extremes but recent experience at the forum makes me prefer to pass on chiming in on anything.
whistle frown grin

One of the graces of backpacking is the individual nature of it, with each person using gear of his choice. The corollary of giving total freedom to anyone else to use whatever gear they choose has been a hallmark of this excellent forum. We learn from what others say they do, but never feel compelled to lockstep with anybody.

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/16/14. Reason: brevity
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 18 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,859
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.