Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
79S Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...actory-reject-united-auto-workers-union/

July 31, 2012: An employee works on a Passat sedan at the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga, Tenn.AP
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. � Workers at a Volkswagen factory in Tennessee have voted against union representation, a devastating loss that derails the United Auto Workers union's effort to organize Southern factories.

The 712-626 vote released late Friday stunned many labor experts who expected a UAW win because Volkswagen tacitly endorsed the union and even allowed organizers into the Chattanooga factory to make sales pitches.

ADVERTISEMENT
The UAW for decades has tried without success to organize a foreign-owned plant in a region that's wary of organized labor. The loss now makes it even harder for the union to recruit members at another Southern factory.

"If they can't win this one, what can they win?" asked Art Schwartz, a former General Motors labor negotiator who now is a consultant in Ann Arbor, Mich.

UAW President Bob King, in a 2011 speech to workers, said the union has no long-term future if it can't organize the Southern plants.

King, however, stuck to statements he made earlier that the union would seek a vote and respect any decision made by workers.

"While we certainly would have liked a victory for workers here, we deeply respect the Volkswagen Global Group Works Council, Volkswagen management and IG Metall for doing their best to create a free and open atmosphere for workers to exercise their basic human right to form a union," King said in a statement.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good for them!!!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Super! I love it!!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for them and all the right-to-work states.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They just kicked the devil in the nuts.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Obamacare has ruined their chances of getting really great health benefits, and the government sets limits on what can be contributed to a 401k. Why pay tons in union dues in hopes of getting maybe getting some modest salary increases, at best??

How long until the UAW can hold another vote?? Guess they'll have some arm-twisting to do in the meantime. If only they had card-check, then they'd know who's arm to twist/who to threaten.....

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked union all my life, never had to kiss an ass or suck a dick, retired at 56 with 50% of my salary in pension and benefits.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Furprick
I worked union all my life, never had to kiss an ass or suck a dick, retired at 56 with 50% of my salary in pension and benefits.

Well, congratulations. I'm sure all the workers coming after you hope the ponzi scheme survives for at least one more generation. Many of the union municipal employees of the city of Detroit weren't so lucky.

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Worked private heavy industry, we took our earned share of the profits. The health of the company was number one in our books, not the stereotypical union of slack asses you may have heard about. As far unions dues go in our local show up for half the meetings get a 50% discount on dues. It ain't for pussies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good for them and the State of TN

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Maybe you should ask around and find out what you've been missing...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Unions are nothing but sub governments. If we don't trust the US government why in the hell should we trust another bunch of [bleep] trying to make a living off MY money? Unions - nothing but money spent for promises.

Lot of $hit talkin about Tennesseanans on the fire but seems to me us hillbillies are smarter than we sound. Y'all take care now ya hear.

Last edited by seal_billy; 02/15/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
just more evidence the unions continue to lose power and influence.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am not anti- union.
However,
the UAW has become a huge gorilla on US auto manufacturers back. One could consider the unions MAY have outlived their usefulness.
I too draw a union pension. As a construction worker, I realized early on that one must be in a union , if in the construction industry, for max. advantage. Many employers implored me to leave the union, as I was always management.
Now, the great imbalance comes from government unions. Even the poster child for the dems, FDR, realized the DANGER to unionize government workers.
Case, in point, Wisconsin has a budget surplus, first since the dinosaurs croaked,
because Walker trimmed their collective bargaining power.
Good for the VW workers.
We will not see a balance of any sort until the pols that bargain with the unions are not in bed with the union.
Cisco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
now send vw back to germany where they belong.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
SRW......
What about my Ducatis, and Moto Guzzis and Triumphs?
Do I have to send them back too?
Cisco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Me too... retired at 55 with more than 1/2 my salarie, whoever don't like it can go pfhukk themselves

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
I have friends who work there. They told me most of the workers in favor of the union were Northern move ins who were in unions where they came from. I guess they couldn't figure that the unions back home were in large measure why their jobs went away.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Obamacare has ruined their chances of getting really great health benefits, and the government sets limits on what can be contributed to a 401k. Why pay tons in union dues in hopes of getting maybe getting some modest salary increases, at best??

How long until the UAW can hold another vote?? Guess they'll have some arm-twisting to do in the meantime. If only they had card-check, then they'd know who's arm to twist/who to threaten.....

Which is exactly the reason to avoid card check, at all costs.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Higbean

Maybe you should ask around and find out what you've been missing...

grin

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,176
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.