Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Polska
If you had the opportunity to go on 2 safari's: 1) a jurassic park safari and 2)an ice age safari. What big bore would you bring for each one and why.

Animals you will have to deal with include short-faced bears which are bears the size of elephants though not as heavy, sabre tooth tigers which are basically tigers the size of modern day grizzlies, Dire wolves - wolves that are the size of modern day lions, wooly mammoths and mastedons.

Some factors to consider:
- t-rex brain is the size of a walnut make a brain shot very difficult

In these scenario's lets pretend that you will not have anyone backing you up, no PH or guide or friend with another gun... just you by yourself.

I would probably end up getting a weatherby of some sort. Maybe a .416 weatherby or .460 weatherby.

It's too bad there you are on the receiving end of so much harshness of tone to your questions. But some of your own replies back - indicate that you bear at least some of the responsibility for the tone you get back in reply to your many and varied questions about those powerful cartridges you seem to be so enamored with. Even at your age, you have proven you can "give and take" - over the internet - with your elders. But, as you probably have noticed - people's patience is wearing thin.

Does everyone forget what it's like to be young - and to dream? Or, is it just case of reading one too many cyber-hunting posts from one inquirer? When I was a young lad (a very young lad) - I too pondered questions to my own mentors - much like the ones you frequently ask. Just as little bit, mind you.

Now, for the Short Faced bears, I'd go with a Model 85 Sako Stainless Synthetic in 375 H&H. The reason for this, is the climate was much warmer back then - and with no guide or back-up present - and since I'd be alone, I'd want to be packing a light rifle - and the Model 85's 7lb weight is lighter than almost every other manufacturers 375's. Without a guide, the fact you have five shots available - and a magazine that can be swapped in just seconds, for another full one, just adds icing to the cake. I'd be shooting 270 grain Barnes TSX's. Since most experts agree this is adequate for elephants, I'd opine this combo would be just fine with all of the other game you mentioned, including the Dire Wolves, the Mastodons, the Mammoths and the Sabretooths too.

The Tyrannosaurus Rex with it's walnut sized brain - is another reason I would want a rifle with a detachable magazine when hunting alone. If a person was unable to hit that small brain - at least he could keep firing - to keep it at bay - it wouldbe a great comfort if extra magazines could be kept in one's pockets - full and ready to go. The relatively light recoil of the 375 H&H (compared to larger rounds) would add to the ability to quickly get off all of the follow up shots needed - while still being adequate for the job.

You see - in spite of my years, I can still imagine. smile

Personally I'm much more intrigued with the rifle's to buy and own for future hunting. You see, soon everything is going to change. Fantasy will become reality - even if it's just hunting squirrels.

We are now raising a generation of young folks who's main form of interaction with the rest of the world is through the internet. There, fantasy mixes with reality, actual expertise mixes with book knowledge, and while many of this generation spend time pondering the imponderable - many of the older farts are too busy actually spending time out in the wilderness, actually experiencing what the real world (as opposed to the cyber-world) has to offer to get very interested in fantasy.

Since you've joined this forum, I have read your many thought-provoking posts. But, and I might be wrong about this, you appear to be stuck in the fantasy world of cyber-hunting and cyber-shooting - without actually getting involved in the real thing. This is sign that appears to be fairly easy to read.

You like guns, I get that. You like imagining scenarios about using really big guns, really big cartridges and for that matter, on really big game - I get all of that too. I was once young.

BUT - it's time for the rubber to hit the road, it's time to sh*t or get off the pot, it's time to get off the computer, go buy an actual rifle (any make and any caliber you choose - just to get started), get to a real rifle range and to shoot it - and then post pictures of your new rifle, your targets, your day at the range - and hopefully about your first treks into the woods alone. Post your photos, talk about your actual real-world experiences and then share your insights - and then ask questions. Real-world questions - based on your experiences.

But please, please, please - no more cyber-questions, no more fantasy, no more other-worldly "what if's". This is actually a real forum - for real shooters. It's an adult forum, but almost every adult likes helping young people - if (and it's a big IF) they feel your are a real shooter or hunter - as opposed to just a cyber-shooter or cyber hunter playing games in cyber-space. There are too many real shooters and hunters who need help as it is.

It's time to start being a real-world hunter - or, at the very least, a real-world shooter.

With the very first paycheck that I ever earned in my life (about 40 years ago) - I went to the store and bought a Model 70 Deluxe rifle in 300 Winchester Magnum. Before that year was over I had shot four different species of big game (a Mule Deer, a White tailed Deer, a Moose and a Black bear) with that rifle, all with no one at my side, alone in the woods. I had graduated from thinking about rifles - to actually using them. The time for my fantasizing was over - the time for my learning had begun.

I'm not unique.

This forum is filled with hunters who have done much much more than I ever will or could ever hope to do. There are many around here that I look to for advice - even after hunting for more than 40 years. Many here are accomplished re-loaders, shooters and hunters. Not in the cyber-world mind you - but in the real world. There is a wealth of real-world information available here. There is much expertise available if readers sense that your questions are based on actual shooting and hunting.

It's still not to late for you. But you are on borrowed time - many of the responses to your inquiries of late, should indicate that to you. Hope springs eternal though - but the levee is low and the water is rising.

If you start showing us your real rifles, talk about your real shooting, real hunting experiences and asking the old-timers about real problems you've encountered while out in the real world - I'm sure you'll notice a whole different tone on this forum in answer to your inquiries.

When I was a child - I delighted in childish things.

I am no longer a child.

I sincerely hope that we will soon be answering questions concerning your ACTUAL experiences - out there in the REAL world. You know, the world that exists - OUTSIDE. wink

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
BTT. I found this searching around. Wow. WTF did yhis guy come from?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Please...,Let sleeping dogs lie....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I miss Polska, and his dipschittery....

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder if this guy is TRH's son or brother?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Let's see, in the '60s I read a book "A Gun for a Dinosaur" by Sprague De Camp about a time travel hunt and "have enough gun" was an integral part of the story. Ray Bradbury wrote a short story for Collier's about the same time called "Sound of Thunder" I think. It was made into a time travel safari movie a few years ago warning of the "butterfly" affect and altering the time space continuum. A while back Outdoor Life had a short article on "Guns for Dinosaurs" or something like that. Since I read the De Camp book in college the thought had always intrigued me, hey childhood musings never really go away.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll give you that. But a quick search of Polska's posts shows that he is severely off kilter from sane

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by estacado
Let's see, in the '60s I read a book "A Gun for a Dinosaur" by Sprague De Camp about a time travel hunt and "have enough gun" was an integral part of the story. Ray Bradbury wrote a short story for Collier's about the same time called "Sound of Thunder" I think. It was made into a time travel safari movie a few years ago warning of the "butterfly" affect and altering the time space continuum. A while back Outdoor Life had a short article on "Guns for Dinosaurs" or something like that. Since I read the De Camp book in college the thought had always intrigued me, hey childhood musings never really go away.

as both a dinosaur and gun nut of course ive got this book on my shelf laugh

[Linked Image]
http://www.amazon.com/Rexgun-Stephe..._0?ie=UTF8&qid=1392972155&sr=1-4

Last edited by rattler; 02/21/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bumpola

MAGA
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 160user, 163bc, 54 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,098 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,869
Posts18,497,528
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.