Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
They also left out drug dealer. Seems they get shot up on a regular basis...

CR

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've had 7 of the 10 listed......plus a few that are a lot more dangerous. Try substation bus welder.............the boss watches you with a spotting scope from a few hundred yard away.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Royce
I would have expected firefighters to be near the top

That's funny as hell.
If you listen to cops and firefighters,they have the most dangerous jobs in the world.

Reality is they mostly sit around on their dead asses drawing a salary,and pension!!
Mike

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

FF is really quite safe these days. We do a LOT of work trying to make it as safe as it can be. And its improved a lot over the years from what I've read of years ago.

you almost always hear when any FF dies close to you, and within a 4 hour radius, I'm aware of only a couple except for the west explosion that got 12 IIRC.. but if not for that, I"d suspect I hear of only maybe 5 a year close to us.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mikeone

That's funny as hell.
If you listen to cops and firefighters,they have the most dangerous jobs in the world.

Reality is they mostly sit around on their dead asses drawing a salary,and pension!!
Mike

Or you can be like me, work a day job, but on call 24/7 for no salary.... Just counted last years calls to see if I can get a break from IRS... I left my personal house 10 miles from teh station, not paid, not during work hours, but during MY hours... 174 times. That doesn't count leaving work to go to calls...

Most folks though, want FF and LEO around if they need em... funny irony there.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

That's funny as hell.

Mike

They've learned that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are more likely to die from wrecking the Fire Truck while running Red Light and Stop Signs on the way to the Fire than from the Fire itself .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Ranchers make $73,700 a year? crazy

That one seems a mite high to me too.

It is if you ask a farmer. They're the poor mouthinist SOB's that ever lived.

They'll tell ya how they work 25 hour days, 366 days a year, just to owe money at the end of it all. Then they hang their head for effect and crawl in a $60k diesel truck. laugh

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The only one of those jobs I spent much time doing is #2.

Saw a few get hurt and a few more not make it back. I was buddies with a guy a few years younger than me that went over the back of a boat laying ground line for halibut. Bad chitt when your rain gear gets to tangling in the fishing gear.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495

That's funny as hell.

Mike

Or you can be like me, work a day job, but on call 24/7 for no salary.... Just counted last years calls to see if I can get a break from IRS... I left my personal house 10 miles from teh station, not paid, not during work hours, but during MY hours... 174 times. That doesn't count leaving work to go to calls...

Most folks though, want FF and LEO around if they need em... funny irony there.

Are you a volunteer firefighter?

Kudos, if so.

Something that not enough know and government employed firefighters try hard to hide is that most of America by several measures is covered by volunteer firefighters not government employees.

The government types bashing of volunteers is BS, too.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If only drugs were legalized, there wouldn't be this many injuries.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mikeone, yes it is true that fire and police folks mostly just sit and wait for something to happen. But when it DOES...

The same might be said for aircrewmembers. That old saying about hours and hours of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror wasn't made up just for laughs. (Have you read my books? Object lessons for the foregoing.)

As for jobs like convenience store clerk, the list is about accidents. The bad things that happen to store clerks, cops and such are deliberate.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Ranchers make $73,700 a year? crazy

That one seems a mite high to me too.

It is if you ask a farmer. They're the poor mouthinist SOB's that ever lived.

They'll tell ya how they work 25 hour days, 366 days a year, just to owe money at the end of it all. Then they hang their head for effect and crawl in a $60k diesel truck. laugh

Yet every other accountant, welfare recipient, and retiree pulling a camper also seems to be driving a $60k pickup.

What someone drives is not a very good indication of wealth. They let about anybody take out a loan....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I am a professional pilot, have been for close to 40 years now. Flight Engineer seat at the Airlines has been pretty much non existent since the 1990's The only place I know were you could possible get a job as a FE in Piston or Turbine would be in Alaska Flying For Everts, they still fly DC-6's and they have a 727 or two maybe more now. The pay it bullshit too. Not even close for most of the pilots working out there..

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
As for jobs like convenience store clerk, the list is about accidents. The bad things that happen to store clerks, cops and such are deliberate.

No, the list was drawn from the latest information on all work related deaths - accidental or intentional.

Some jobs are simply not as dangerous as their propaganda insists; but the danger in some, like to convenience store clerks, is diluted by being but a subset of customer service or retail sales which is otherwise quite safe.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I can vouch for the ironworkers. Had to lift a man out of the basement 2 weeks ago after he went 3 stories into the hole. Doesn't look like he'll be working for a long time if ever again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
#1 ,Sandhogs.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rovering

No, the list was drawn from the latest information on all work related deaths - accidental or intentional.

Some jobs are simply not as dangerous as their propaganda insists; but the danger in some, like to convenience store clerks, is diluted by being but a subset of customer service or retail sales which is otherwise quite safe.

This list has little to do with which jobs are most dangerous. It is more about which occupations employ the the most vunerable to natural selection. #7 and #3 being the obvious exceptions.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
It's about working from heights and/or extremely heavy moving parts, natural or mechanical. An illiterate illegal is in no mortal danger with a pick, shovel, broom... while the supervisor running the crane is.

Kent

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by Rovering

This list has little to do with which jobs are most dangerous. It is more about which occupations employ the the most vunerable to natural selection. #7 and #3 being the obvious exceptions.

Both the numbers and my own experiences give me reasons to disagree, but I'd like to see your reasoning for such a derogatory and condescending statement.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,308
Posts18,505,488
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.