Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The stove I'd really like to get and try is the Soto Muka because I like the idea of being able to use unleaded fuel AND NOT HAVING SOOT smile

I hate soot! It gets on your gear and it's like it was marked up with a Sharpie and won't come off.

Last edited by alukban; 02/20/14.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whisperlite is hard to beat for simplicity and it's nice to know that the tank is full. I have a bunch of 'tweener Iso cylinders laying around. It doesn't simmer as well as the DragonFly for sure. I've made pancakes on it with a Ti 1400 lid and had zero issues. If you remove the burner from the base it stows nicely in the Ti 1400 set. My new favorite is a Ti 600 mug and SnoPeak Ti stove. Still Iso, but light and tight. Iso gets a little slow when the temps dip too.
[Linked Image]

Even lighter is a homemade cat stove which is kind of a cool little deal, but don't be in a hurry to eat.

[Linked Image]

My OG Jetboil gets used and abused more than anything. I have the pan attachment and have fried bacon, eggs, cooked rice, and sauted loins with it. Heat control sucks and you have to watch it. Wasn't horrid, but a far cry from the Dragonfly.

So yeah, get a couple. I'm temped to get the Ti Jetboil myself. Can never have too many options.

If you just want a warm cup of joe, this will get you to about 145 degrees in 6 minutes.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Mountain house is expensive. So are the power bars, cliff bars, etc. It adds up

I do a MH for dinner. Breakfast is oatmeal and coffee. I have never cooked anything for lunch, its always bars, nuts, trail mix etc. I bring a lot of those dry as hell nature valley granola bars, they are cheap and light.

I find MH at Walmart occasionally for $5.80, and generally stock up there or costco. But still, I'm easily $15 into food for a day, probably a lot more.

A quick walmart search (nobody else seems to have prices) shows:

Mountain House (noodles and chicken): $0.010163636/cal
Light tuna in water: $0.0124375/cal
Tuna in oil: $0.01147619/cal
Instant Oatmeal: $0.001694444/cal
Almonds: $0.002475/cal

That being said, eating things you kill while out there has its own value outside the monetary thing. I have learned never to calculate the cost of certain things...fish being a primary example.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Super Clean and a green Brillo pad take the soot off of pots.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
To the OP. I know you stated you didn't want the Jetboil. But the one I have can be set up standard:
[Linked Image]

Or with the adapter to use like a regular stove:

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by elkhunter_241
Super Clean and a green Brillo pad take the soot off of pots.

Not giving a schit works great also.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Walker6
Originally Posted by snubbie
I sold my whisperlite after it sitting for a year unused, preferring instead the pocket rocket.
You've mentioned a wood stove...
I also carry an emberlit titanium. Nice backup & affordable.

http://www.emberlit.com/en/

Emberlits rock. I carry a similar setup (giga + emberlit). Morning coffee with the giga and dinner with the emberlit. The emberlit also lets you scratch the pyro itch, so you can get your campfire fix without having to mess with a campfire.

I sometimes break mine out on day hikes and have a cup of coffee, just because of the "pyro fix" you mention.

I've also noticed the heat it puts out. In a survival situation, I've thought a small poncho-shelter set up against a big tree or rock, with this little stove just outside the opening, feeding twigs into it all night, could provide enough heat to keep one semi-comfortable or at least, keep from freezing to death. Of course, it would require constant attention feeding the sticks into it.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
In a survival situation, do you have anything better to do than feed your stove while you're waiting to get rescued?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Emberlit looks pretty cool. The mini caught my attention.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In a survival situation, do you have anything better to do than feed your stove while you're waiting to get rescued?

Sure, I always whip out a deck of cards and play solitaire. It never fails, before I know it, some son-of-a-gun is lookin' over my shoulder telling me which card to play next......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have the MSR Reactor and I love it. However, I usually boil water for my meals. I wish they made some sort of pan or griddle that fit it like the pot does. Not sure why they don't? I can say I think fuel canisters are handier than pouring, priming, etc.

C
C
I have the Snowpeak Gigapower for when all I want to do is boil water. If I am "cooking" anything I use my Windpro, it has the larger burner. The Windpro is better for larger pots. Make sure you get the Windpro II if you go that route, it has the more flexible canister hose

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Just a few comments.

There's no perfect stove for every situation.

White gas stoves work best in low temps (below 25�F) where butane canister stoves perform poorly. I own a Whisperlite and a Dragonfly. I like the Dragonfly best. Have no experience with the WindPro.

Butane canister stoves work best for lightweight summer backpack trips where weight, bulk and convenience clearly out perform white gas stoves. I own an MSR Pocket Rocket and an Optimus Crux. I like the Pocket Rocket best. I've watched friends use their GegaPower stoves and they appear to perform just as well as a Pocket Rocket.

I use Propane appliances for car camping, because they are as convenient as butane products and the fuel is a little cheaper.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
The simmerlite doesn't simmer well, but I can make it work for actually cooking a dinner. Same for whisperlite. Simmerlite is a skosh lighter. Whisperlite has better flame shape for a small pot. Neither use a great deal of fuel - I cooked one hot dinner a day (only a couple of which were freeze dried, remainder required ~10min of simmer time) for two guys for 14 days, plus about a half dozen shots of oatmeal and coffee water for buddy, all on one 22-oz tank of fuel in a simmerlite. We were pretty astounded about how long it lasted. I don't bring spare fuel anymore, for sure.

Lighting either one is not nearly as big a deal as some here indicate, if you pay attention and learn what's going on.

I plan on transitioning to all cold food for solo early hunts. I'll entertain cooking if a partner is with to share stove, pot and fuel weight. Late season is a different story.

Last edited by Vek; 03/03/14.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
In case you wanted to see a bunch of specs in a convenient format:

http://gearatlas.com/compare-gear/backpacking_stoves

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of your options are good. Really only need that kind of stove at altitude anymore.
I've had a pocket rocket for a while now and they are handy because they are easy to keep on hand. If you are not going out for a long time one canister goes a long way. I find I use it on the tailgate of a pickup to make coffee or soup as often as in a camp. Have only heated water on it so can't speak to simmer qualities.
That said, I bought one of these under $10 chinese versions with a piezo igniter. Thought they would be great in bug out bags. They are way better than that.
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Ba...mp;sr=8-1&keywords=backpacking+stove

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a helpful hint. The canister will work fine on those cold mornings if you just throw the canister down in the footbox of your bag before bed and sleep with it. Shake it good the next morning.

Oh, and don't smoke in bed. wink

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's another comparison/review of various stoves.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacking-Stove-Reviews

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I prefer a the dragon fly. Easy start, flame level adjustment to simmer and full nuke boil. Starts easy at altitude and can go easy on the fuel consumption. The extra weight is worth it.

Have also used the wood type stoves for outings in areas with fuel available.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the same stove for 20+ years. I don't even remember what kind it is? Damn thing always just plain works.

The Jetboils look pretty slick. Is there much difference 'tween the Ti and standard?

Last edited by MadMooner; 03/03/14.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1941USMC, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 53 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,898
Posts18,518,425
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.