Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Four of us drew tags for SE Alaska and are heading for an island off the coast near Sitka in September. I previously asked about suggested rain gear and received many excellent suggestions.

Now I'm asking about packing/shipping strategy. We intend to go light for our week of hunting, but we certainly will require a cooler or two, cooking stove, lanterns, etc. I am planning on shipping some of this stuff in my 75 Yeti ahead of time. The rest of the clothing can go in one or two bags. What I'm wondering is what kind of pack/bag is most useful both for airline gorilla baggage handlers and in probably very wet coastal conditions? Assuming one of the sealable waterproof units may be appropriate here, but not sure about durability in handling.

Also rethinking my plan for wool shirts. Should we consider synthetic shirts under the rain gear or is wool the best choice as it usually here in CO?

Thanks for your thoughts.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd put my all my soft gear (clothes, sleeping bag, tent, etc etc) in a dry bag and consider renting a cook stove, lanterns and such.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
When I fly gear and game around the state I use Rubbermaid totes, the 22 gallon size meet the size limit. I drill holes around the top so I can use zip ties to hold the lid on or tape them down. I pack Army flyers kit bags and Cabelas Boundary Waters dry duffle bags. The Cabelas bags are great for field use, but I have had the airlines rub holes in them during transport so I try to place them in the Army duffle bags to protect them. I have a Yeti cooler and it is way to heavy to fly. The weather is September is cool enough that I just use a tote placed in a stream weighted down to act as a cooler. This is also a good way to keep the scent down on game meat and fish. For the return trip I use the totes to ship meat and hides and use the duffles for shipping gear back. I find that is is so wet around the coast that I most times just wear my Sims waders and good studded wader boots to fish and hunt in. That and a good rain jacket will keep you warm and dry even in the wettest weather and will allow you to sit without getting a wet butt. I wear fleece and poly pro under my waders.

Last edited by 1sgStephen; 03/04/14.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I'd forget the lanterns and use a headlamp.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1sg is giving real good advice here. That is exactly what I have done for the past 10 years and it has worked perfect. Loose the wool and go synthetic, It will dry faster . Plan on wet. I have mailed/ taken on a plane those rubbermaid tubs and most have numerous trips on them, best 6-7 bucks you will spend.They come in handy in camp to as wash basins ,tables, some place to put clothes to dry . Lots of uses for these. I can fit my Kifaru long hunter pack inside of one of them. Good Luck

I Kill Things......deal with it..
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
while I don't fly to get here, I fly sometimes to get where I want to be here.

as mentioned those rubbermaid totes are handy, protect your gear and doubles as camp furniture and food storage, what's not to love?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Got it. Totes and headlamps. Great thoughts to add to my list.

Just discovered today that we will fly into Petersburg on Kupreanof, then head south from there to a Kaw Sheets Bay on the southern end of the island. Anybody know about renting boats, stoves, and other equipment in the area? Can we expect to run into Brown bears on that island?

Henry Ford

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have rented a skiff from Scandia House, 16 footer with 40 hp I think it was. Good folks to deal with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taz4570
Got it. Totes and headlamps. Great thoughts to add to my list.

Just discovered today that we will fly into Petersburg on Kupreanof, then head south from there to a Kaw Sheets Bay on the southern end of the island. Anybody know about renting boats, stoves, and other equipment in the area? Can we expect to run into Brown bears on that island?

Yes, there are brown bears on Kupreanof. Not sure if you were aware of it but there is a cabin at the mouth of Kah Sheets creek.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Having stayed in a FS cabin or two, a lantern is nice to have.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I agree, but I didn't travel from CO.

Another difference is it's Sept at a lower latitude, not Oct at a higher latitude, like I did.

If it's worth the potential problems for taz, I'm all for it!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Si on the cabin. That's the one I believe we have reserved for two weeks. We plan to hunt the stream up to a lake and some clear cuts, and along the shoreline. I'm pushing to rent a boat to cruise the shoreline.

Just figuring out all of the logistics now. We are very experienced western state hunters, but normally have lots of room in trucks and trailers to load up. So this is an entirely different expedition for at least three of us.

Henry Ford

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have stayed at Beecher Pass and Breiland Slough cabins, you may already have this link...
http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=78991&actid=101

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
taz,

How are you getting from Pburg to the Cabin at Beechers Pass?

BTW, we stayed at that cabin many years ago to get out of some rough weather. Didn't have it reserved, but it was empty. Figured I've rented enough USFS cabins that I was okay for one freebie. I wouldn't do that except in bad weather.

Brian

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I'd forget about running the shoreline in the fall and focus on going up as many fish streams as possible. I'd also try to hunt the creeks until dark.

T
taz4570 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Bummer on the fall shoreline. Was looking forward to that. Why? The bears don't like fall surf?

Any thoughts on the cabins? How are they equipped? Cots? Should we bring sleeping pads?

Apparently taking boat from town south to the bay and cabin. Know any good outfits for that trip?

Henry Ford

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't know about those cabins but most FS cabins have bunks (bring your own mat), table, countertop/shelves, and a wood or oil drip stove. Pretty bare bones but are like the Shangri La after a long cold day. One time in Yakutat I poked a hole in my waders and developed a nasty fever on the same day while Steelhead fishing in early April. We poached the cabins (planned on just tenting) for two days until I got straightened out. Can't say it was a life saver but saved the trip for me. Like BW said, I have paid for them enough I didn't feel to bad and it was like winning the lottery that nobody showed up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=taz4570]Bummer on the fall shoreline. Was looking forward to that. Why? The bears don't like fall surf?

Bears follow the food. Spring shoots so they are in the grass flats, fall salmon so they are in the streams. If there are brown bears around they will get run off the streams so you may see some traveling or eating grass and berries.

Looks like a wood stove in that one. You might take fire starter materials and a file to sharpen the axe, they are usually trashed.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
There's no guarantee about the wood situation if indeed it's a wood heat cabin. You should call whoever is in charge of the rec cabins for the Petersburg ranger district of the USFS in order to find out specifics about cabins in case there are any vandalism or maintenance issues that come up.

Have you checked with the F&G area management biologist about the bear numbers on Woewodski Island? What's the ratio between blacks and browns? On some islands, such as Kuiu or Kuprenof, it's black bears only. Others such as Mitkof or Revella. have both.

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Taz,

Can you tell us which drawing permit you guys drew?

That would help.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,283
Posts18,505,139
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.