Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99FEVER
I know I over paid but I really wanted this. Too bad he is not standing behind it. Odds are that he knew it did not fit when he sold it as he has many, many, Savage 99's.

EVERy Stock will Not Fit the Same Even if You Have a Gun Made in the Same Year, From My Understanding and Have Been Told, Ever Stock was Hand Fitted to the Gun. You Just Don't Buy Em and Expect to slap them on. Never Worked That Way on Savage 1895's, 1899's and 99's

I Have done 7 Savages and all a Tad Different.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I need to stop going into my gun room late at night. You guys were right about the tang length. The tang on my 99 did not change v/s other years. It ends up that I bought a stock that was made wrong, and paid through the nose for it. I rationalized this to myself because just how many brand new savage 99 straight stocks, in 2 piece matching sets, are ever put up for sale? This piece looks factory btw. Will try to attach a photo, not sure if this site will let me do that easily though. Basically, the sides of the stock, (the tennons???) are too short, making the tang look too long, which it is not. So I sent a photo and explanation to the guy I bought it from on Gunbroker. He is an older guy, long time 99 collector, named xxxxxxxxxx. On Gunbroker he goes by the name of xxxxxxxxxx Seemed like a nice enough guy, until I called him this morning. After hearing my story he said, "well I can't be held responsible if it does not fit". "Really"? I said. "You sold this stock as fitting a savage 99, and it doesn't. I am sending this back to you and I want my $415 back". Too bad I paid with a check. A situation like this, when dealing with somebody whose reputation is not worth much leaves one in a weak position. Frustrating. Suggest that each of you NEVER buy anything from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thanks for all your input.

So Yo Bought a Stock For a 99 Saddle Gun for 1970's and Expect it to fit a 1899 Savage, ain't Gonna Happen. 2 Different Animals.

Last edited by 1899sav; 03/08/14.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
A lot of us on this forum know Ralph pretty well. He is not known for low prices or sensitivity but he is certainly no crook either.

You apparently bought a stock set for a post 1 million saddle gun and expected it to fit a pre million action. Did you ever ask any questions before doing that?? Did you contact him within 3 days of receiving the set? Shame on you...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1899sav
I need to stop going into my gun room late at night. You guys were right about the tang length. The tang on my 99 did not change v/s other years. It ends up that I bought a stock that was made wrong, and paid through the nose for it. I rationalized this to myself because just how many brand new savage 99 straight stocks, in 2 piece matching sets, are ever put up for sale? This piece looks factory btw. Will try to attach a photo, not sure if this site will let me do that easily though. Basically, the sides of the stock, (the tennons???) are too short, making the tang look too long, which it is not. So I sent a photo and explanation to the guy I bought it from on Gunbroker. He is an older guy, long time 99 collector, named Ralph McElwain. On Gunbroker he goes by the name of rfm.savage99. Seemed like a nice enough guy, until I called him this morning. After hearing my story he said, "well I can't be held responsible if it does not fit". "Really"? I said. "You sold this stock as fitting a savage 99, and it doesn't. I am sending this back to you and I want my $415 back". Too bad I paid with a check. A situation like this, when dealing with somebody whose reputation is not worth much leaves one in a weak position. Frustrating. Suggest that each of you NEVER buy anything from rfm.savage99 on Gunbroker. Thanks for all your input.

So Yo Bought a Stock For a 99 Saddle Gun for 1970's and Expect it to fit a 1899 Savage, ain't Gonna Happen. 2 Different Animals.

Are we still talking about a 1" difference as pointed out in the OP?

LOL
99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Removed.

IC B2

99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have 70's era 99's and I bet the stock on one of those will fit my early 99 close enough that it can be modified to fit. Well, this is edited. It did fit the 70's era 99, like a glove. I would never have believed that there would be such a size difference. Crow tastes awful.

Last edited by 99FEVER; 03/08/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
99FEVER, are we still talking about 1"?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The stock is far from being able to fit ANY savage 99. No, I got the stock and did nothing with it for a couple of weeks. If it was close, no problem. I would pay for it to be modified but there is NO way this stock will fit any Savage 99 as it is just too far off. xxxxx screwed me and he knows it. Somebody please tell me how to post a photo here and you will see for yourself.

I guess you can't f--ken read or understand all stocks will vary some what with savages 1895's, 1899's and 99's they all were hand fitted. the tang maybe a few thousands wider or longer or thicker, etc etc,
i've seen it, i've replaced it, done it.
You bought a stock for a post mill rifle, not a f_cken 10,000 early 1900's 1899.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Tell me how to post a photo and you will see that this is not ever going to fit ANY Savage 99, regardless of the year.

99FEVER Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Removed.

Last edited by 99FEVER; 03/08/14.
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
You need to deal with Ralph. This is not the place to be whining about your poor decisions.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
99FEVER, in your original post you said it was an inch off. Is it?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And then I will post a photo of this same stock on a 70's era 99, and it won't fit that one either, not even close. Thanks for the nice attitude. Possibly its YOU who can't f-in read? Do you act this way in person or only when you are behind a keyboard? Who acts like that?

Hey, not have to act this way on a keyboard, i will tell ya in person.
Or you can call me to 630-569-2193,,, the stock set is right for a saddle gun, and will require minor fitting.
your expecting to by wood, and slap it on a savage, never happen and never will, all take a bit of fitting, even if wood is for same generation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The tank is about an inch shorter on this old model 99.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by mad_dog
I'm thinking that nice stock on GB that you paid top $ for is a bit screwed up.
No, its right on as I put it on another 99 and it fit fine. The 99 that I have with a 10,000 serial number on it has a tang that is shorter than all my others, all of which are newer than it. If you have an old 99, prior to 10,000 serial number, hold it along side a newer model and you will see that the older 99 has a shorter tang. It was news to me. I appreciate your input. Bob

Bob, do you have the slightest clue?? Please read what you posted on this earlier. Should you be taking some meds you have misplaced?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
The tank is about an inch shorter on this old model 99.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
99FEVER, in your original post you said it was an inch off. Is it?

AGAIN He has a 1899 in the 10,000 serial range, not a 99 in the 1 million plus,,and SAVAGE's did not have a tank frown
AND WHAT THE F__k ya think is going to Happen, Nada!Not going to work.

And He Bought a STOCK SET for a 99 A SADDLE GUN> it gives the years made for 1973 plus, not f'ken 1900 plus.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=390256016

AGAIN 2 different animals, and he can't get it through his fin thick head, J.F.C.

And When he has done as much wood as i have or redone guns then tell me i'm full of Shiz.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not directed at you Steve, but reminding the OP that he claimed he was an inch away from a fit. He has ignored answering that. Here's the stocks in the auction link you just provided. They're not an inch off.

[Linked Image]

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 70's era 99's and I bet the stock on one of those will fit my early 99 close enough that it can be modified to fit. This one is just too far off and will never fit. Its a defect and will NEVER fit any Savage 99. SHAME ON YOU for not asking to see a photo before you took a position.

I don't have to ask to see a photo' i seen the set sold, i seen the st in person years, back, send me your address moron, i'll send ya the 400.00 dollars and prove to you it will go on a 1970's saddle gun, with minor fitting, then when i'm done showing you, i'm gonna personally deliver that stock and shove up your arse, free of charge.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
No, its right on as I put it on another 99 and it fit fine. The 99 that I have with a 10,000 serial number on it has a tang that is shorter than all my others, all of which are newer than it. If you have an old 99, prior to 10,000 serial number, hold it along side a newer model and you will see that the older 99 has a shorter tang. It was news to me. I appreciate your input. Bob

Am I the only one who read this??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lightfoot

Am I the only one who read this??

NO!Your not the Only one, I have read it,, and again he does not have a 99 in 10,000, It's a 1899!
and he does not understand there is a difference between a 1899 and 99,,

and if Savage made a 99 back in the 1900's news to me.

MAybe he should by a Murrays and Start Reading a Bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,553
Posts18,473,018
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.