Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

We need to drink some Tumbleweed together and get to the truth of many subjects. Though not the .270 versus 7x57. For that we need another large dog-trainer along, who brings free and decent bourbon.

Oh, and we could also invite Shrapnel, though he won't bring anything except free Coca-Cola, which he'll only dispense in tiny cans which say "not for sale or trade."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

We need to drink some Tumbleweed together and get to the truth of many subjects. Though not the .270 versus 7x57. For that we need another large man along, who brings free and decent bourbon.

Ahem�and I was just introduced to Rebecca Creek, the new love of my life, which I will pick up in Texas in May. Meanwhile�ladder tests. JB: you remember what happened last time I got on a ladder without testing it first... cry

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried googling the ladder but it came up proprietary...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tom,

Well, that proves any sort of ladder test is untrustworthy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And as for hunting accuracy�." if it'll hit a white rock, its good to go�" grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis,

We need to drink some Tumbleweed together and get to the truth of many subjects. Though not the .270 versus 7x57. For that we need another large dog-trainer along, who brings free and decent bourbon.

Oh, and we could also invite Shrapnel, though he won't bring anything except free Coca-Cola, which he'll only dispense in tiny cans which say "not for sale or trade."

Sir,

The 7x57 isn't a smokeless cartridge. The .270 is.
Ingwe only likes that round because he found so much brass for free after everybody on the battlefield died.

I love Shrap, but every time he leaves I can't find my wallet. It's bizarre.

You are all welcome here any time but I am starting to think the wallet thing is not a coincidence.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
well then�.you wont miss it if its gone when we leave�.. whistle

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

The ONLY thing non-coincidental about any Shrapnel encounter is a lighter wallet.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by deflave
Travis,

Sir,

The 7x57 isn't a smokeless cartridge. The .270 is.
Ingwe only likes that round because he found so much brass for free after everybody on the battlefield died.

I love Shrap, but every time he leaves I can't find my wallet. It's bizarre.

You are all welcome here any time but I am starting to think the wallet thing is not a coincidence.

Travis

Next time, don't let him touch your azz....Just sayin whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
And as for hunting accuracy�." if it'll hit a white rock, its good to go�" grin

Here it is paddy melons, I defy anyone to pass a paddock full of them by and not start shooting them.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
That looks like a thorny Tsama melon! eek

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Youper
Denton: This past year I've been using a new to me method of comparing rifles and loads, and I would like your opinion of the value of it. I shoot a ten shot group, mark the median elevation and windage point, then measure the distance of each shot from that point. What I compare between loads is the median value of each load.

Why are you using medians, rather than means?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ingwe,

Your bride was on the news the other night discussing a blood drive or something.

I yelled out "she lives with a dinosaur!" And the whole room accused me of being drunk and told me to STFU.

Anyway, I was thinking of you and thought you should know.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis,

The ONLY thing non-coincidental about any Shrapnel encounter is a lighter wallet.

He also slaps me in the back of the head whenever I disagree with him. Starts to sting at the end of the day.

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Ingwe,

Your bride was on the news the other night discussing a blood drive or something.

I yelled out "she lives with a dinosaur!" And the whole room accused me of being drunk and told me to STFU.

Anyway, I was thinking of you and thought you should know.

Travis

Thanks for thinking of me, I knew I had a warm fuzzy feeling for some reason. But the 'rest of the room' was right.STFU grin

If you can keep the grass from growing too high in June, I'll talk JB into a gopher/bourbon/pizza safari up there and we will come and take your wallet and drink your stuff.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted By: Youper
Denton: This past year I've been using a new to me method of comparing rifles and loads, and I would like your opinion of the value of it. I shoot a ten shot group, mark the median elevation and windage point, then measure the distance of each shot from that point. What I compare between loads is the median value of each load.

I can think of two good reasons: 1) Medians are easier to do in the field. Slide a card down the target until it is over the center of the middle shot (or between the two middle shots if an even number of shots), and strike a horizontal line. Turn the card 90 degrees, do the same (might be a different shot) and strike a vertical line. That is the median position of the group. No calculations. 2) Medians are robust to outliers. A flier will not pull the median, as it does the mean. If you have a flier, it's probably a "more true" representation of "center" than the mean is. That's good for sighting in your scope.

I'm not quite clear on how he is evaluating "spread", but mean distance from center, median distance from center, standard deviation, and group size all convey essentially the same information in "different clothes".

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ingwe

If you can keep the grass from growing too high in June, I'll talk JB into a gopher/bourbon/pizza safari up there and we will come and take your wallet and drink your stuff.

That would mean a lot to me.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Youper

Nerd alert!

Travis

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Who?

Where?

Be not weary in well doing.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by denton
I can think of two good reasons: 1) Medians are easier to do in the field. Slide a card down the target until it is over the center of the middle shot (or between the two middle shots if an even number of shots), and strike a horizontal line. Turn the card 90 degrees, do the same (might be a different shot) and strike a vertical line. That is the median position of the group. No calculations. 2) Medians are robust to outliers. A flier will not pull the median, as it does the mean. If you have a flier, it's probably a "more true" representation of "center" than the mean is. That's good for sighting in your scope.

I can see the first reason. I'm not so sure I want the effect of fliers discounted in that way though.

While purely trying to test ammunition, and I'm sure I yanked a shot, I think I'd be more comfortable ignoring it entirely and then shooting another to replace it.

While testing the ammo, rifle, and myself as a "system" then the fliers should have full weight.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (22kHornet, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 222ND, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.