Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I haven't seen the race in a while -but I noticed that some people like to stand on the "outside" of some corners.

Bike washes front end in high speed corner -bike goes straight off race coarse -not a good place to spectate from.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sir Jackie Stewart commenting on the Isle of Man TT; "This is Man's country this...". High praise from a 60s and 70s F1 driver.

You Tube link

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I've been sitting here watching racing clips on youtube.

Some coverage of an Isle of Man race stated that 7 people had died that week.

3 racers and 4 spectators.

Lots of good vids there.

Did you ever make the suspension changes to your SG?

I have an '11 SG & it has no handling issues at any speed but always looking to improve so interested in how yours turns out.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sean
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I've been sitting here watching racing clips on youtube.

Some coverage of an Isle of Man race stated that 7 people had died that week.

3 racers and 4 spectators.

Lots of good vids there.

Did you ever make the suspension changes to your SG?

I have an '11 SG & it has no handling issues at any speed but always looking to improve so interested in how yours turns out.

MM

I bought the Sputhe stabilizers, both front and rear, and installed the front yesterday.

I took it out on the interstate and twisted it up to a bit faster than the law would allow (a lot, actually) and it didn't wiggle like it did before I installed the stabilizer.

This stuff,...

http://www.sputhe.com/aluminum%20swing%20arms.htm

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kenny Roberts lives about 5 miles from me. Has a big arch over his driveway with a rusty old minibike strapped to it...lol. Never met him but have friends who have been to his compound....has all sorts of different motorcycle tracks and plenty of toys to boot. Bought my first dirtbike at "Kenny Roberts Yamaha" in Modesto in the early 80's.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My first bike was an RZ350 Kenny Roberts special. REst in piece Mr. Roberts.

I am an N.R.A. Life Member,you should be to.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I only got to watch Kenny race once, at the Houston Astrodome Short Track. I was there pulling for a boy from Baton Rouge - Mike Gerald. I think that Terry Poovey was a rookie that year. Springfield was a first or second year rider, and I think that he won the AMA title that year. May be wrong though, I've slept since then!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once 58 seemed old

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went to Laguna Seca to watch GP back in '82, IIRC. Kng Kenny was supposed to be up against Freddy Spencer there (nobody else mattered). Freddy broke his foot shortly before that race, so Kenny basically rode unopposed. He was still awesome. I stood at the bottom of the chicane and watched him come down the hill on one wheel through the S-curve. Seemed like he was defying physics...it was so smooth. I always regretted that I didn't get to see him ad Freddy head to head in person, but it's still a great memory.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Hawken
My first bike was an RZ350 Kenny Roberts special. REst in piece Mr. Roberts.
He's not dead...just memories!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roberts was always a special talent in a very extreme profession. He didn't get the recognition that he deserved in America, because motorcycle racing has always been more or less a secondary motorsport in America. But in Europe and even Japan, he was revered as the Muhammad Ali of motorcycle racing.

I was always impressed with his professionalism.

His job was to risk his neck riding super powerful motorcycles at their limit, and during his prime he dominated even the most demanding division of motorcycle racing,..Gran Prix.

Yet, his demeanor was as even as that of a bank teller.

A lot of people don't know that Kenny nearly died in a practice crash, but then came back to win some more.

IIRC, the TZ750 GP bike (the one he was riding at Laguna Seca when I was there) was notoriously a bit over-powered for it's frame. It had some evil quirks when pushed as hard as Kenny pushed it. I remember his comments about actually intentionally sliding both ends on power through tight turns on paved GP tracks - something that was unheard of at the time. His dirt track experience is what made that a reality.

Yamaha was really making waves back then. King Kenny and Hurricane Hannah. Those were the days.....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I eventually did very well.
I'll add that I'm lucky that I didn't have any serious injuries.

This video 'Kenny Roberts rides his 1980 Yamaha YZR500 at Laguna Seca' that kg posted up got me into watching some other bike racing videos. This comment was listed below that video;

" Great to see Kenny on the bike and very sad to see Wayne Rainey in the chair. I love Wayne very much, one of the best riders of all time but really seeing him like this makes me feel very bad smirk frown " .

After reading that comment I went and found a great video about Wayne Rainey and the intense competition he had with Kevin Schwantz back in the early 90's. Check it out;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLuMZMskRCE

What really really impressed me was what Kevin Schwantz said at 12:26 and reiterated at 13:36 . Such humbleness and caring for his fellow racer, it got my allergies kicked up a bit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A life well lived cool

Roberts' riding style in which he forced the motorcycle's rear wheel to break traction to steer around a corner, essentially riding on paved surfaces as if they were dirt tracks, changed the way Grand Prix motorcycles were ridden.[1] From 1983 to 1999, every 500 cc world championship was won by a rider with a dirt track racing background.[35] Roberts' cornering method of hanging off the motorcycles with his knee extended forced him to use duct tape as knee pads, and eventually led to the introduction of purpose-built knee pucks used by all motorcycle road racers today. His battles with the Grand Prix establishment eventually led to the adoption of stricter safety standards for Grand Prix race organizers.[4] He was one of the first riders to challenge the FIM over the way they treated competitors and helped improve prize money as well as the professionalism of the sport. It was not until Roberts planned his rival race series in 1980 that the FIM was forced to change the way in which they dealt with motorcycle racers.

And what finer tribute is there than to actually have a production motorcycle named after you?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Anybody remember Rick Hocking? I went to school with him from 4th -8th grade in a 1 room school house.
Not with us anymore, too bad.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by kenster99
Anybody remember Rick Hocking? I went to school with him from 4th -8th grade in a 1 room school house.
Not with us anymore, too bad.

He sounded like a great guy who loved to race!! Did you know him later on in his life, after his racing career? Sounds like things didn't go well for him after his knee replacement.......did you ever hear what the cause of death was??

A bit of info I ran across;
But Hocking had fallen on hard times of late. He had trouble finding work after knee replacement surgery in 2009. On Jan. 18, a friend paid a visit to his new home in Tracy and found him dead inside his car.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember Rick Hocking racing Friday night motocross at the Sand Hill Ranch, it was an easy track and he rode a '77 Yamaha TT 500, he really stood out as the only 4 stroke bike on the track.
He was fast on that track as it was more like a TT track than a motocross track.

Kenny Roberts is a legend, an absolute stud at what he did.
That said, and I'll probably take an ass kicking for saying it in this thread, but I believe to this day that the most highly skilled motorcycle riders of all are the Motocross/Supercross guys.
Certainly I'm jaded, as I raced MX/SX for about a decade, but for my money, they simply have more all around bike handling skills.
I can remember practicing on an mx course with the state champ flat track rider on a few occasions and was able to keep up with him, he always was honest to concede that he didn't have the skills of the pro mx'ers.
Certainly apples & oranges, but I'll stick to my belief.

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella

Certainly apples & oranges, but I'll stick to my belief.

Yep, comparing flat track or road racing to MX/SX is truly apples to oranges, anyone doing either at a high level has my ultimate respect, & both take high levels of skills & balls, just a different skill set, that's all.

MM

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Roberts was always a special talent in a very extreme profession. He didn't get the recognition that he deserved in America, because motorcycle racing has always been more or less a secondary motorsport in America. But in Europe and even Japan, he was revered as the Muhammad Ali of motorcycle racing.

I was always impressed with his professionalism.

His job was to risk his neck riding super powerful motorcycles at their limit, and during his prime he dominated even the most demanding division of motorcycle racing,..Gran Prix.

Yet, his demeanor was as even as that of a bank teller.

Kenny and "Fast Freddy" Spencer did put on some shows competing against each other in the road races. Respect for each other but no love lost between them.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (160user, 12344mag, 21, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 33 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,459
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.