-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was at a skeet match some years back and by chance had a guest with me that decided he wanted to shoot, so I gave him my gun and borrowed one from the facility owner. Was a Beretta 390 12 bore. I took a look and sez to him "Roni, when was the last time you cleaned this thing?" He looked puzzled. "Dan, it's not even broke in yet. Might only have 12K rounds thru it."

It still put most of its shot in the right place as I recall. Inside of the receiver looked like it was packed with shredded tires.

All of which leads me to believe that all guns are sufficiently accurate for hunting to some range unique to the gun and shooter. What that range is I will not speculate.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use a method that I learned in tactical rifle school and adapted for hunting. I have 6 50 yard pistol targets, NRA B-6. These are marked 100-1, 200-1, 300-1, 100-2, 200-2 and so on.

After I've developed the best load, each time I go out I will set up two of those targets and a distance randomly. The first target is the clean cold bore shot, the second is the follow up. Over time a group is developed that tells you how effective your rifle is in actual hunting. That is YOU and your rifle.

Just like a sniper rifle, you can't really judge by hot bore shooting. Nor can you take shots to warm up on technique.

With my HB rifles I keep a range book.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Down this way things trend wet more often than not. Probably more barrels ruined down here from failure to clean than you can shake a stick at. Cold bore clean is a good reference for starters...in this AO.

Sometimes the right bullets ......

Dan;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well and warmer than we are right at present.

Before I go on I've got to say I'm a big fan of the Phillips head projectiles - I mean they just gotta work, you know? wink

We live in a semi desert up here, but I have seen barrels pitted with rust when they were brought in from say -20� outside, allowed to sweat as they warmed up as steel is wont to do and then not have the bore swabbed.

While I've not done extensive testing on that little issue, I did a wee bit and found that clean barrels didn't produce rust colored patches near as often as barrels that had been shot more than a few times.

I'll admit I don't clean my non-soot burning firearms as often as I used to anymore - but I do recall the rusty patches and pitted barrels quite clearly.

Anyway, as always the mileage varies from location to location as well as with the user I suspect Dan.

If however we can save a new shooter or two the heartburn of a pitted barrel, then that's cool too. Depending upon current income levels at the time barrels can be pocket change or unattainable. wink

All the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/22/14. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
True words Dwayne. I don't oft have the chance to hunt in real cold weather then move directly to a warm home or camp house. But in the past I learned (one the first such night) about that.

This was before stainless steel was invented as I recall.

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
FL is miserable in August.

It's 84 right now and sunny. Supposed to get down to a chilly 62 tonight, then back up to about the same tomorrow. Spring came this week and will go by month's end, and then the summer heat will begin. July is hot, August is worse, and September is worser (I threw that word in for 'flave). Then fall comes again and we're back to 84/62. It's a brutal cycle to have to live with.

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah, that 62 degrees at night sounds brutal�..

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Supposed to be 48* here tonight. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Cold bore shot should be called cold brain shot.....

Cold bore shot = urban myth. If I have a rifle that "throws" the first shot, the barrel gets taken off and thrown in the garbage.

[Linked Image]

This challenge turned out exactly as I thought it would when I did it last summer with a bunch of other shooters over a five day period on another site.

Amen and to add to it, a good barrel/bedding regardless of contour will not spray them after a couple of rounds. Those get thrown away too.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Cold bore shot should be called cold brain shot.....

Cold bore shot = urban myth. If I have a rifle that "throws" the first shot, the barrel gets taken off and thrown in the garbage.

[Linked Image]

This challenge turned out exactly as I thought it would when I did it last summer with a bunch of other shooters over a five day period on another site.

Amen and to add to it, a good barrel/bedding regardless of contour will not spray them after a couple of rounds. Those get thrown away too.

I can agree with that. Of course someone that leaves oil in the bore can have that issue. A patch of mineral spirits followed by a dry patch takes care of that.

Back in the day, the mid 90's, we had to shoot monthly. Just a few rounds. We took a single target once a month and fired that CBS on it with a bi-pod then dated it a filed it away. That was suppose to be used in case it became issue in court. The shot, with all others was also recorded in the range book along with detailed weather and wind references. The book, of course, is also public record and useable in court.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Back in the day, the mid 90's, we had to shoot monthly. Just a few rounds. We took a single target once a month and fired that CBS on it with a bi-pod then dated it a filed it away. That was suppose to be used in case it became issue in court. The shot, with all others was also recorded in the range book along with detailed weather and wind references. The book, of course, is also public record and useable in court.

What a monumental waste of [bleep] time.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Armednfree

What a monumental waste of [bleep] time.

Travis

Yes, most likely, but here CYA rules and we do a lot of crap and documentation for that purpose.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know nothing in regards to CYA but I hope those policies worked for everybody involved.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I know nothing in regards to CYA but I hope those policies worked for everybody involved.

Travis

CYA, Cover Your Azz. In this case somebody conceivably might call the qualifications of the rifleman in question. Somebody conceived that there could be a challenge there and made the rule.There is documentation on every little stupid thing built around CYA.

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/23/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CYA with 5 shots or does it take more?

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CYA with 5 shots or does it take more?

No,less, one round. One round on a hostage taker, in the head for a no reaction shot (even though that is really a fallacy, no thoughtful reaction but an autonomic one can still happen, a reflex reaction)

Riot situation is usually one shot also. In observation, once organization takes place, you can identify the leader and his second. That is a chest shot, no need for a head shot since nobody is in direct danger from him. Then it's cover on the reaction, anyone that is an immediate threat to another. That includes covering an entry team, which again is chest shots. The only reasons for a head shot is if the person has a hostage in hand and there is no other option or if the head is the only part exposed.

A prison situation is different than a police situation in that you know it's in a fixed location. If a rifleman in a prison has done his job, as I did, he already has all his lay points figured and ranges shot. Then he shoots those ranges and has recorded the dope for each. Unlike a police situation, a prison is a fixed known position.

If the situation is inside a building then the rifleman becomes an observer. All the windows are thick plate hardened glass and if the window does not have bars, which are usually 4 inch steel pipe that is horizontal, it is wired. If you tried a shot with the target any distance inside the chance of hitting it is pure luck. A 168 grain HPBT completely fragments on that glass. (yes, we tested it) Plus the fact that the first thing inmates will do is cover the windows with blankets, that is to prevent us from seeing in and to impede the insertion of gas.

We used the 308 in a Rem 700 HB. I thought that a poor choice. If I do fire a round everybody knows instantly. That could be like touching a match to a powder keg. Since ranges beyond about 125 yards are rare, and glass penetration is not a consideration, something along the lines of a fully suppressed rifle in 300 Whisper would would better. I don't want to announce that someone just got shot, I want the confusion long enough for an entry team to get in.

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/23/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you plink 'em in the neck there is no autonomic reflex. It's a smaller target than the ass and you have to hit bone.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you plink 'em in the neck there is no autonomic reflex. It's a smaller target than the ass and you have to hit bone.

I'd sat the risk of a miss is way too high on that. And really, with a gun in his hand there is no real shot that can be counted on to prevent a reflex pull on a trigger.

In prison it is different, we are talking an edged weapon. Preventing him from doing a slice or a stab is a lot easier than preventing that 4 pound pull with one finger.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You folks should spend less time shooting and more time cyphering. Ought from ought is naught...It'll tighten your groups.

[Linked Image]

Not too many years ago, out of the box, big game hunting rifles were shooting 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yd. Handloads could reduce that to about an inch or an inch and a half. Smaller calibers like the 223 could often manage .75 to 1 inch from the factory. That's changed. With the invention of the Internets, groups have shrunk considerably. I never realized how much influence Bill Gates and his cybergeeks truly had!

Gun companies say that technological improvements have made modern firearms manufacturing more consistent. Ammunition companies claim that cartridge assembly has improved. There's really no reason to doubt their assertions, but these are just two of the three things that produce superb accuracy. People are the third part and affect the result more so than anything else. And boy, have humans ever had an impact!

According to the Internets, group size has gone down markedly over the last twenty years. You can find the evidence by opening your browser and googling rifle performance. You'll read hundreds of testimonials, complete with pictures and eye witnesses. Good old cyberspace!

With all that proof, we must accept that humans have become better. We have evolved. After all, change is what life on this rock is about. But I do not think that humans have become better shots. I think that we have become better story tellers. Praise be to "The Google"!

Here's my proof: Despite manufacturing short cuts, poor quality control and the increased use of polymers, groups have continued to shrink. Strange isn't it? Regardless of the complaints from hunters and shooters about crappy, flexible stocks, heavy, lawyer proof triggers and so-so stock/action fit, I keep reading about out of the box accuracy being better than ever before. I read this stuff on hunting and shooting forums...on the Internets.

Some might say that you can't have it both ways. Someone must be telling fibs, because you cannot have poorly made, butt ugly, ill fitting rifles that shoot better groups than competition guns!

Some might also say that at the rate we're going, we should be bug holing with econo-guns by the end of the decade. It sure looks that way. It also seems that we'll be doing it with 10 lb trigger pulls, using assemblies made from pot metal parts, housed in ugly, limp and shoddily made plastic stocks. All this will be attached to less metallic versions of traditional rifle actions, assembled by numpties, using poorly constructed, off shore parts. Wow! And you know what? This has to be true because the evidence is floating around in cyberspace.

It sure is amazing. The worse rifles get, the better they shoot!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dunno Steve. How'd you define "superb accuracy"?

And I gave up evolving about 20 years back. Din't see the point since I was doing amazing things with a Red Ryder.

I am..........disturbed.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In a nutshell, superb accuracy would best be described as accuracy that is superb.

Sadly, Americans cannot fashion the most accurate rifles anymore. They have lost the skills required to create quality components and assemble a true tackdriver. I'm sorry to be the one to drop this bombshell, but I suspect some of you already knew this.

A truely accurate, modern rifle starts by selecting just the right stock made from top grade polymers and plasti-metal blends. These high grade materials don't just happen. Years of development went into them.

Plastic is the new metal. It's also the new wood.

Polymers are grown from specially developed hybrid monomer plants. Like wood, there are several grades of polymer. They actually started out by experimenting with soya and canola - the firearms industry has always been environmentally friendly - but the engineers kept licking the stocks. The biodegradable stock was half a good idea, but the construction was too tasty and the idea was quickly abandoned. So much for saving the planet.

At any rate, the Far East is THE spot to grow the best, quality strains of stock mono (that's industry talk for monomers). The ground there is just right for this. They plant them in modified, nylon impregnated soil. That's because monomers will bind to almost anything and grow like weeds. The addition of nylon into the soil acts as a natural lubricant that prevents stickage.

Presently, there are three grades of stock polymers - Good, Better and Betterest. Using the betterest grade, there's no need to bed rifle actions anymore. Betterest grade poly features "molecular anti-bind technology", applied at strategic spots along the action to prevent pressure points. You cannot do this with wood or aluminum!

From here, we get into the truly technical. I have to be careful what I say because of patent considerations. Many countries in the Far East jealously guard their secrets and I wouldn't want to be sued for divulging chemical formulas or exposing confidential manufacturing methods. The Far East takes a very dim view of anyone, or any country that steals their technology!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.