Originally Posted by DigitalDan
CYA with 5 shots or does it take more?

No,less, one round. One round on a hostage taker, in the head for a no reaction shot (even though that is really a fallacy, no thoughtful reaction but an autonomic one can still happen, a reflex reaction)

Riot situation is usually one shot also. In observation, once organization takes place, you can identify the leader and his second. That is a chest shot, no need for a head shot since nobody is in direct danger from him. Then it's cover on the reaction, anyone that is an immediate threat to another. That includes covering an entry team, which again is chest shots. The only reasons for a head shot is if the person has a hostage in hand and there is no other option or if the head is the only part exposed.

A prison situation is different than a police situation in that you know it's in a fixed location. If a rifleman in a prison has done his job, as I did, he already has all his lay points figured and ranges shot. Then he shoots those ranges and has recorded the dope for each. Unlike a police situation, a prison is a fixed known position.

If the situation is inside a building then the rifleman becomes an observer. All the windows are thick plate hardened glass and if the window does not have bars, which are usually 4 inch steel pipe that is horizontal, it is wired. If you tried a shot with the target any distance inside the chance of hitting it is pure luck. A 168 grain HPBT completely fragments on that glass. (yes, we tested it) Plus the fact that the first thing inmates will do is cover the windows with blankets, that is to prevent us from seeing in and to impede the insertion of gas.

We used the 308 in a Rem 700 HB. I thought that a poor choice. If I do fire a round everybody knows instantly. That could be like touching a match to a powder keg. Since ranges beyond about 125 yards are rare, and glass penetration is not a consideration, something along the lines of a fully suppressed rifle in 300 Whisper would would better. I don't want to announce that someone just got shot, I want the confusion long enough for an entry team to get in.

Last edited by Armednfree; 03/23/14.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.