Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Down this way things trend wet more often than not. Probably more barrels ruined down here from failure to clean than you can shake a stick at. Cold bore clean is a good reference for starters...in this AO.

Sometimes the right bullets ......

Dan;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust this finds you well and warmer than we are right at present.

Before I go on I've got to say I'm a big fan of the Phillips head projectiles - I mean they just gotta work, you know? wink

We live in a semi desert up here, but I have seen barrels pitted with rust when they were brought in from say -20� outside, allowed to sweat as they warmed up as steel is wont to do and then not have the bore swabbed.

While I've not done extensive testing on that little issue, I did a wee bit and found that clean barrels didn't produce rust colored patches near as often as barrels that had been shot more than a few times.

I'll admit I don't clean my non-soot burning firearms as often as I used to anymore - but I do recall the rusty patches and pitted barrels quite clearly.

Anyway, as always the mileage varies from location to location as well as with the user I suspect Dan.

If however we can save a new shooter or two the heartburn of a pitted barrel, then that's cool too. Depending upon current income levels at the time barrels can be pocket change or unattainable. wink

All the best to you this weekend sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 03/22/14. Reason: better sentence?

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"