Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Dayum, that's almost an Ingwe paint job!

Always thought the Starfighter was a beauty...never could decide which I preferred most, the 104 or the B58. Sleeksters by any measure.

So Steve, I was at the range today and one of the projects was a 50-60s vintage Savage 24; .30-30/20. Shooting lead at about 1600 fps, two slightly different charges of SR4759. 2 Groups of 5 for each charge @ 50 yds were 3" for 16 grains and 2" for 16.5 grains. 311041 GC, LLA lube at 2.57" OAL. 9# trigger and fired on my two hind feet (THF). The 16 grain charge printed to POA while the 16.5 went to the 4 o'clock and 4" from POA.

The 20 bore shoots a very loose pattern of #3 buck at 25 yds.

It was a gorgeous day!

Did I do anything that was statistically significant? Can I kill hogs at 10 yards with this rig?

Dan

You're undergunned. Everyone knows a 30-30 won't take hogs. Use the 20 ga instead with shot bigger than No.6. laugh

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
PS: I would strap on a 104 in a heartbeat if it wasn't a German crater maker.

They didn't call them widowmakers fer nothin'.

The CO of my old sqn was on final approach, but was coming in too hot. I guess he wanted to be on the drag chute and brakes quickly, so when he touched down, his left hand was ready to yank the chute handle. He pulled, the chute came out and it ripped off the back.

I thought that he would lift off, do a loop and try landing a second time. Although this sounds laughable in a 104, some aerodynamic braking and liberal use of the brakes would have stopped him before he ran out of runway. But he didn't do that.

No doubt panic set in. He was screaming down the runway much too fast and knew that he'd have to take the barrier. He went for his arrestor hook button, but hit the tip tank jettison instead. Two tanks tumbled gracefully through the air and littered the grass. Oops! Then he managed to find the arrestor hook.

Except that this was a 104. He was too late with the hook and the hoof bounced a couple of times off the runway, jumping the cable. He buried his plane nose first into the dirt mound off the end of the runway. Luckily, no one was hurt. He was a Lt.Col then, but retired a Lieut.Gen.

Bury My Heart at Wounded Pride! laugh

Yeah! Drinks all 'round!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]