Among the multiple reasons I don't believe 1-inch accuracy isn't needed for big game shooting even at 300-400 yards is the multiple animals I've killed over the decades at those ranges with rifles that would only average 1-1/2". And as I mentioned in my first post, I can't remember one I missed except through shooter error.

I do prefer a little more accuracy, but gun writers are often invited on hunts where they're handed a rifle, get to shoot maybe a dozen or so shots with it, and then go try to kill an animal. I've been on plenty of these, and not only shot quite a few animals but been with my fellow writers and other people when they killed quite a few. So far damn few animals were missed or wounded, and when they were it was also due to shooter error. The reality is that shooting skill is a far bigger factor in the field than relatively small differences in a rifle's accuracy.

Of course, shooting skill among gun writers isn't equal. Probably the least practiced are those who due to their job have to live in or near big cities. As a result they don't get to shoot as much, especially at varmints--and any shooting at actual animals, at varying distances, teaches more about field shooting than any sort of inanimate target. The really good rifle shots among the gun writers I've hunted with are John Haviland, Brian Pearce, Ron Spomer, Dave Scovill and others who grew up hunting in rural areas, still shoot and hunt a lot, and consequently know how to shoot game.

Most of these also don't care very much about minor differences in accuracy, or the cartridge, exact poundage of the trigger, the exact power of the scope, etc. etc. This is because they've used so many different rifles, and usually have no control over any of those things--and yet manage to kill almost all the animals they shoot at quite neatly.

Yet another reason is that most hunters who claim their rifle always shoots inside an inch at 100 only shoot 3-shot groups. Five-shot groups will open that up to around 1-1/2", and no, this is NOT usually due to the barrel heating up. Instead it's due to statistics: Shoot more than three rounds and you'll find out more about the consistent accuracy of a rifle. The group diameter tend to level off more above five shots, but most half-inch rifles are 3-shot wonders.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck