You folks should spend less time shooting and more time cyphering. Ought from ought is naught...It'll tighten your groups.

[Linked Image]

Not too many years ago, out of the box, big game hunting rifles were shooting 1.5 to 2 inches at 100 yd. Handloads could reduce that to about an inch or an inch and a half. Smaller calibers like the 223 could often manage .75 to 1 inch from the factory. That's changed. With the invention of the Internets, groups have shrunk considerably. I never realized how much influence Bill Gates and his cybergeeks truly had!

Gun companies say that technological improvements have made modern firearms manufacturing more consistent. Ammunition companies claim that cartridge assembly has improved. There's really no reason to doubt their assertions, but these are just two of the three things that produce superb accuracy. People are the third part and affect the result more so than anything else. And boy, have humans ever had an impact!

According to the Internets, group size has gone down markedly over the last twenty years. You can find the evidence by opening your browser and googling rifle performance. You'll read hundreds of testimonials, complete with pictures and eye witnesses. Good old cyberspace!

With all that proof, we must accept that humans have become better. We have evolved. After all, change is what life on this rock is about. But I do not think that humans have become better shots. I think that we have become better story tellers. Praise be to "The Google"!

Here's my proof: Despite manufacturing short cuts, poor quality control and the increased use of polymers, groups have continued to shrink. Strange isn't it? Regardless of the complaints from hunters and shooters about crappy, flexible stocks, heavy, lawyer proof triggers and so-so stock/action fit, I keep reading about out of the box accuracy being better than ever before. I read this stuff on hunting and shooting forums...on the Internets.

Some might say that you can't have it both ways. Someone must be telling fibs, because you cannot have poorly made, butt ugly, ill fitting rifles that shoot better groups than competition guns!

Some might also say that at the rate we're going, we should be bug holing with econo-guns by the end of the decade. It sure looks that way. It also seems that we'll be doing it with 10 lb trigger pulls, using assemblies made from pot metal parts, housed in ugly, limp and shoddily made plastic stocks. All this will be attached to less metallic versions of traditional rifle actions, assembled by numpties, using poorly constructed, off shore parts. Wow! And you know what? This has to be true because the evidence is floating around in cyberspace.

It sure is amazing. The worse rifles get, the better they shoot!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]