-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know what you mean about the .243win versus the 30-06, as I've used both. I've often said that I'd probably have no problems hunting smaller chamberings and softer bullets if my hunting areas were open. Blood trails aren't as important and you can often see the animal fall after a death-run. Here where I hunt, there are a few open areas here and there, such as pastures or pipeline ROW's, but thick cover is generally nearby. I've been hunting here for 25 years and have seen one deer make a typical 30-40yd death run that didn't wind up in cover. It was in the middle of a large pasture.

I've killed deer with .22 and 6mm centerfires and gotten mostly decent results, but I know that their limitations regarding typical blood trails on non-CNS or non-shoulder shots will likely make my tracking job harder than say a 270win, 7mm-08, or 30-06. Our bucks aren't usually out in open areas and don't give us lots of time for a good shot presentation. You have to take what is offered and take it quickly. The slightly larger chamberings offer a bit better odds of a quick/easy retrieval as compared to the little rifles. Bear in mind, this is "on average". I've seen .22cal TSX bullets leave a lovely blood trail and I've seen 7mm softpoints leave me very little to go by. Day in, day out, the .27cal to .30cal offerings still have an advantage for my hunting style in my area. That being said, I still like the smaller chamberings and don't mind hunting in such a "handicapped" manner when the mood strikes me....... (grin)

Now with even more aplomb
HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've hunted with a lot of guys through the years that used .243's. It never struck me that their guns were as effective as my .30-06 all other comparisons being equal. I've never killed anything with the cartridge myself but felt I saw enough to form an opinion.

In what way was the 243 not as effective as the '06?

I recall a number of times during deer drives where the .243 guy wasn't sure if he hit or missed. We'd find blood (or not if he missed) and work out the trail usually finding the deer. I can't remember ever wondering if I hit a deer or not with my '06. I'd now whether it was DRT or ran off that I connected.

Not that it's at all relevant to the OP, or any of the discussions here, other than this; but I can not fathom why anyone would push deer, to posters, offering a very low %, moving or running shot ?

Just my .02 !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Deer drives are very common in PA. Some folks will hunt no other way!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn the mystical bullet voodoo......

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I've hunted with a lot of guys through the years that used .243's. It never struck me that their guns were as effective as my .30-06 all other comparisons being equal. I've never killed anything with the cartridge myself but felt I saw enough to form an opinion.

In what way was the 243 not as effective as the '06?

I recall a number of times during deer drives where the .243 guy wasn't sure if he hit or missed. We'd find blood (or not if he missed) and work out the trail usually finding the deer. I can't remember ever wondering if I hit a deer or not with my '06. I'd now whether it was DRT or ran off that I connected.

Not that it's at all relevant to the OP, or any of the discussions here, other than this; but I can not fathom why anyone would push deer, to posters, offering a very low %, moving or running shot ?

Just my .02 !

Because in some places, deer go nocturnal during hunting season, hiding in extremely thick cover during the day. They do not have to leave this cover to drink or even eat, in many cases. I'm talking about cover where you couldn't see a deer if it were 10 yards in front of you. Dogs or men driving deer into a more open area is about the best option, short of baiting and spotlights.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, you mean like up here in the boreal forests ?

That's what spot & stalk hunting is all about.

Again, no intention to inflame, just my opinions.

Paul.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Oh, you mean like up here in the boreal forests ?

That's what spot & stalk hunting is all about.

Again, no intention to inflame, just my opinions.

I've never seen the boreal forest in person, but from seeing it on tv and in pictures, it doesn't even begin to compare with how thick brush can grow down south. There is pretty much no way you could spot, and much less stalk, a deer in some of the areas down here.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
btw.. I am envious of you guys who live in areas where spot and stalk is the primary hunting method. It looks like it would be a ton of fun.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
99, Deer drives are very or were very common in states like Pa. I know one large group that still hunts this way.. While visiting relatives this fall, I ran into them driving by the place I was staying. there were 10 or 12 of them.. To a man they all had Rem. pump action rifles scoped.. I would guess all were .30-06's.. This style of hunting is fading due to the large tracts of posted ground, and the move to elevated house like stands.. The stand hunters seem to shoot bolt action rifles in .270 or 06.. In this area, long range shooting has been popular for 70 years or more.. Not all but many of the long range shooters use some type of magnum, range finder, and very high powered scope.. I would say this type of shooting is becoming more popular each year.. In the country Mike is talking about it is difficult to still hunt much of the country or spot and stalk, due to posted ground.. This has been occurring at a very rapid rate since the late 90's.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope! Sticking to my Bees!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
PDR,

Yes it is, but you certainly have to earn your rewards !

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for taking the time to explain the how & why.

There is some drive hunting up here, but I think shotguns are used mostly as a safety precaution

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While the 25 man crews aren't to as common as they once were we still have alot of small crews putting on drives. It's still very common. Most of the rest of the country can't comprehend to what degree the orange army descends on Penns woods. I've never seen it anywhere else.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I somewhat succeeded (I apologized BTW) in hijacking a thread on this subject in another thread, so this looks like a good place to ask you guys.....Let's say you've drawn the tag of your lifetime, for me probably AZ Strip muleys or desert bighorn. Anyway, you get the idea....are you headed out the door with your .223, 22-250, or would you rather have a 7mag/30-06? Let's be honest here.

Deflave, I can understand you being pissed that you got your azz tossed out of the great state of Texas bro! You can come visit me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'd want the BG rifle/scope combination I had the most confidence in, as far as hitting where I was pointing. That has little to do with headstamp.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
I'd want the BG rifle/scope combination I had the most confidence in, as far as hitting where I was pointing. That has little to do with headstamp.

That wasn't the question. Even if it was a .223? It actually does have lots to do with headstamp doesn't it?

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/25/14.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I somewhat succeeded (I apologized BTW) in hijacking a thread on this subject in another thread, so this looks like a good place to ask you guys.....Let's say you've drawn the tag of your lifetime, for me probably AZ Strip muleys or desert bighorn. Anyway, you get the idea....are you headed out the door with your .223, 22-250, or would you rather have a 7mag/30-06? Let's be honest here.

Deflave, I can understand you being pissed that you got your azz tossed out of the great state of Texas bro! You can come visit me.

I know which one I'm grabbing. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, since I don't own a 223 or 22-250.....

My choice would be the SAME if I did. whistle grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by smokepole

That wasn't the question. Even if it was a .223? It actually does have lots to do with headstamp doesn't it?

That's why I said "BG rifle." I don't hunt big game with .223's. The rifles I have the most confidence in right now are a .308, 7-08, and 6.5-06, because they all shoot where I'm aiming out to farther than I have any business shooting.

I have a 7 mag., .30-06, .300 Wby, and so on. They're not as accurate as the others. So they'd stay home despite the "better" headstamp.

For larger animals, and the hunt of a lifetime I may think differently, but your question was on deer and sheep.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
JG, I see you point and agree completely.. When guys talk about ranchers or farmers shooting deer or elk with small calibers that is not the same as a guy going on a hunt for a special animal or even a hunt of limited durations.. We have shot many head of game with the .22's though 25's.. No doubt in my mind if I am going for a big mulie or sheep, they will rest in the safe.. I might only get one chance, and I want to make the most of it..
I have a ranching friend who has shot many elk with a .222.. But they were in Aug. in his hay field.. Another has knocked off even more with his .243, but they were shot off his hay stacks in the winter from his bedroom window.. Most of this stuff happened years ago..
Personally, I have seen the .24's and 25's give less than satisfactory performance on probably ten head of big game.. Usually, at ranges of 200 yards plus.. Yes, I found the game, but just because I found the deer or antelope, doesn't mean in my book the caliber did a suitable job..

Molon Labe
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1Akshooter, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,371 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,875
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.