Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

'S,

There is nothing inherently redeeming in either the 270 or '06,save as donor hulls for the good stuff. No reason to barge outta another closet. Laffin'!

I read in F&S,that boolits do in fact matter more than a leetle...'course one would only know that,by flingin' more than a few.

Hint.

'B,

Don't find anything in that to take a hint from. hint

Now, your thread on headspace, kissing and finding pressure had some validity. It actually applies to all headstamps and chambers.

You stated earlier that headstamps don't matter much. But then you already knew that.

If you are feeling the need for you or any of your cartridges to barge out of the closet, have at it.

Arcus Venator
HR IC

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'S,

Imitation is THE most sincere form of Flattery.

Hint.

I get it,that you don't get...thus the hint.

Hint.

In fairness,I've prolly better than a barge load of cartridges,which will certainly get you crashing through yet another closet.

Hint.

Funny how it actually works.

Hint.

Laffin'!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not imitating, just conversing in your preferred dialect of the English language.

Getting sidetracked with the whole closet thing. Something you want to tell us? It's OK, the truth will set you free. Hint

I get IT, way more than you think. No hints there, self explanatory. If you don't get it, can't help you.

Arcus Venator
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
1flier, hey will give it a try!! But I am pretty old to learn news

stuff...

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
CRS,

It's your Imagination,Pretend with it however you please. I'm digging your Excuses and the Whine...though "surprisingly" you's skirtin' all things The Rifle. Didn't intend to horn you up,but one couldn't slight your taste in men. Bless your heart,you are really doing "great". Laffin'!

Kudos for the inherent humor,of your having enough Imagination to Pretend that you 'think" you've a first [bleep] clue.

Now that schit IS funny! Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always gonna fare better by asking questions,instead of giving "answers". Not that I don't enjoy the hilarity of your "best" efforts. Laffin'!

LOVE the avatar,mebbe expound a smidge?!?

Re-laffin'!

'flier,

Not all of us can have total and complete mastery of Engleesh.

IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer,

Believe me, I get it.

I am not horned up BTW, keep patting yourself back though, if it makes you feel good.

You talk about closets, headstamps don't matter, suitable bullets, rifles, attack people, etc. You keep on thinking you have it all figured out. Or to put it in your vernacular for easier comprehension. "pretending you have a [bleep] clue" your words not mine.

I do not hesitate to ask questions, because I do not know it all. And when I do ask questions, I ask people that I respect, and have more knowledge and experience than myself.

My avatar is self explanatory, what would like me to expound on?

It is humorous, thank you for the entertainment

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'S,

You don't even believe you and for exceedingly well founded reasons,that couldn't be slighted. Laffin'!

Again..weren't my intent to horn you up,but your good taste in men ain't to be slighted. Congratulations?!? Hilariouser than [bleep],that granting you enough slack on the rope to expound upon your Dumbfhukktitude,is "perceived" as an "attack"?!? THAT is [bleep] funy! Sweetheart...ONLY you,can keep YOU,from saying something [bleep] stupid and here's to the inherent hilarity of your being powerless in that refrain. You go girl!

What might you Whine about next? Looking forward to even more Excuses. Laffin'!

No doubt the cartoon Avatar is awesome and ain't it plum fascinatin',that it's the Mantra of you Do Nothing Day Dreaming Dumbfhukkers,to really go Full Tilt with your cartoons? Laffin'!

Here,I'll happily fuel your Imagination,if only to bolster your Pretend and to getcha' a step closer to things that ain't animated. Pun prolly be [bleep] intended to boot. Hint. Laffin'!

[Linked Image]

REALLY enjoyed the notion,that your being a Perpetual Dumbfhukk is anyone's "fault",but your's. Laffin'!

Should your Imagination and/or Pretend grant you the Delusion that I'm "mistaken",please cite same and I'll happily take the time to rub your nose further in your incredible [bleep] Stupidity.

Don't slight the magnitude of the humor. Whatcha' gonna "tell" folks about next?!? Mebbe hang a picture of you and your crossed-eyes and really knock it out of The Park. I'll feign my "surprise" that ALL things the rifle,continue to get an exceedingly wide berth,from you. Laffin'!

Laffin'!

Where do you incredibly clueless [bleep] come from?

Wow +P+!

You poor dumb [bleep] make it difficult to tie new Riggin' and stoke new reels,when I'm laughing this hard.

[Linked Image]

In fairness,you'll wanna skirt the SS yarn,it's schit. Though that too is over your pointy [bleep] head and tinfoil hat,go ahead and thank me later.

Laffin'!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
This about explains it for me. Although I didn't read much further than this. I started with an '06 and have ended with one. I owned and shot a bunch more up to 458WM and down to the .223. I settled on the 30-'06 because it does all that I want it to do and all I'd ever care to do. Most importantly because I'm cheap and so is the '06. You can find brass at any gun range, anneal it, clean it up and shoot it accurately. .30 cal bullets suitable for deer hunting can be found just about anywhere and so can a usable powder. I've loaded it up and down the spectrum from slow hard cast slugs for killing junk in the trapline to heavy hard hitting 200-220's and hot running 150's for stretching it's legs. Will smaller rounds work and do just as well? Yup, I've done just as well with the .223 and 50-55 gr slugs. Are we starting to use smaller diameter rounds as a whole. Depends on your definition of "starting" and "we". It's a good thing if "we" are. Nothing will ruin a new shooter/hunter quicker than heavy recoil and muzzle blast. One could do just fine with a well tuned .22 or 6mm for most all NA hunting near and far.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boxer,
Now we are on to bear crap and fishing, adding to the distraction. So you happen to live in an area that has a good bear and salmon population, and your point is....

You are right, it is not that difficult. Well maybe it is, at least having a mature internet discussion.

Please keep expounding on how nobody knows anything. Please keep expounding on the eggspurt you are. The more you talk.....

Thanks for the humor.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
SuperKchunt,

Always a treat to be regaled with your cartoons and plagiarized pics.

Here lemme fuel the fires of your Imagination,if only to bolster your Pretend.

[Linked Image]

What didja' almost do yesterday and even funnier yet...what are you almost gonna do today? Mebbe you've a BWT planned to boot?!? Laffin'!

You "hard chargers" are a [bleep] riot!

'S,

LOVE the Whine and the Excuses! Congratulations?!?

I reckon it is more than a whole bunch daunting for you...to muse anything 'bout Huntin',Feeshin' or The Rifle. GREAT call instead,to skirt them thangs and go right the [bleep] to your Whine instead. Laffin'!

You poor poor clueless [bleep].

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
if one looks at ammo availability in the store, the obvious conclusion is we continue to use the same standard rounds (7mmremmag, 30-06, 270 win, etc) we have used in previous decades. while there is more .223 ammo and a better selection of same in the store, i attribute that to the very large numbers of ar's sold in the past 2 years, as in 223 ammo bought buy new ar owners who just want something to shoot. i don't think we are gravitating toward smaller cartridges at all. perhaps some see a small trend based upon some posters, but if you look at the ammo wmt has available or sold, the standard rounds are still king. jmo.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am the one skirting? Seems to me that you are the one going off subject.

That's funny! Thanks for the laugh tonight.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'soup,

Who'd want an AR?!?

[Linked Image]

Boolits matter more than headstamps.

Hint.

'S,

No doubt,you're doing "great".

Your Whine is increasing in pitch,Excuses are constant...and you wouldn't touch The Rifle or anything Outdoors with a 10' pole. Laffin'!

I wonder why that is?!?

Laffin'!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Those deer have the best colored antlers of any animal that sports head gear.

Would like to get one some day.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never noticed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though I do prefer the 75 A-Max kissin' found pressure in a bolt,to the 75HPBT leapin' in a Krunchenticker...especially at longer range.

Gotta love the 30-'06.

Laffin'!

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice deer, always liked the clown paint job.

Yeah, I don't know anything about traditional bows, rifles, shooting or hunting. I've never caught a fish either.

That's funny!

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
Seems to me over the last 10 years or so it been the trend. Guys hunting deer with 223's, elk with 243's ect.
What's your opinion are we using lighter calibers than in the past to hunt North American game with?

Since I got started in 1982, I've seen more elk wounded and lost after being shot with a .243 than possibly/probably all other cartridges combined. Granted that the sample size is fairly small, it has definitely affected how I feel about using small diameter cartridges for elk.

Stouter, heavy-for-caliber bullets alleviate my concerns somewhat but not entirely. I still think a .243 is a better elk gun in the hands of an experienced hunter with good shooting skills than a youngster new to the game. If I had a young person starting out I'd probably hand them my .257 Roberts stoked with 120g A-Frames at +P velocities or get them a .260 Remington, 7mm-08 or .308 Winchester. In long actions a .25-06 or .270 Winchester would be my choice.

For myself, I started out with a 7mm RM and was fat, dumb and happy for 20+ years. Once the kids were gone I started branching out - first to a Marlin lever in .375 Win, then another in .45-70. Then to bolt guns in .300WM, .30-06 and most recently a .338WM. They all work. This year I'll be using a .30-06 for no other reason than Dad gave me one and it remains a virgin.

Her job may have Daughter #1 moving back to Colorado later this year. She used my .257 Roberts to good effect on antelope last year and is hooked on hunting. If she comes back it is a near certainty that she'll want to hunt elk in 2015. If she wants to use the .257 Roberts with 120g A-Frames for elk I'm OK with that but would rather she choose one of my .30-06s stuffed with 150g AccuBonds.

There are lots of loads that will bring down elk. Any centerfire round will do so with proper placement, blah, blah, but there is a definite progression in effectivity given equally marginal placement and/or lengthening ranges. Bullet design plays a big part in terminal effectiveness as does retained velocity and mass. A .22 Hornet on its best day is not the equivalent of a .223 Rem with 62g Barnes TTSX. Nor can any .223 match a .257 Roberts with a 120g Partition. For a you-can-only-have-one-for-the-rest-of-your-life hunting scenario, I'd take a 7m-08, .270 Win, .280 Rem, 7mm RM, .30-06, or .300WM over any of them.

Some people claim hydraulic shock has no lasting effect but I disagree. Poke a hole in a prairie dog (or water jug or watermelon or whatever) with a .22LR, blow one to bits with a .22-250 and similar placement and then answer what made the difference given both bullets had the same initial diameter and mass. A few years back I set up a couple sawhorses, laid a strip of 3/8" plywood on top, lined up some water jugs and started to play. The first jug was lined up on a leading corner of the plywood. I took the first shot with my .45-70 hunting load (350g North Fork @ 2180fps). Not only did a bunch of jugs blow up, hydraulic pressure from the first jug blew a hole in the plywood the size of the jug's bottom. In addition, the downward force broke the sawhorse. Placement is primary but when things start to go south I want a bullet with enough retained velocity and energy and frontal area to cause a very large pressure wave - one that can accelerate flesh well beyond its limits of elasticity - resulting in a more massive permanent wound. No, that doesn't mean I'm only willing to use a .375 RUM but I don't want a .243 Win either.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/29/14. Reason: 2180fps, not 2280fps

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Those deer have the best colored antlers of any animal that sports head gear.

Would like to get one some day.

+1

I've really fallen in love w/ my 6-250 & 95 gr VLDs w/ same POI as 87 VMax. Also my 223 is getting more & more attention from my boys & me. I plan to AI it & have the throat cut to a dummy, and am building another for my 9 yo to take deer hunting here & feral pig hunting next January.

Good stuff; fun times!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
'S,

Your insecurities are very WELL founded. Congratulations?!? Laffin'!

Sucking my ass ain't gonna pry your kchunt from the couch.

Hint.

Laffin'!

'Hunter,

I've seem farrrrrrrr more woes with Boomers,than all others combined. Boolits matter far more than headstamps and I'd be curious to hear about the particulars of the boolits,that you saw fall short on Critters. As well as their location,if only because I hear through the grapevine,that .243" boolits will reliably crush shoulders.

Funny that you mention the Hornet. I've got one that goes back long prior to the 223 being invented,let alone X's and it's killed a barge load of Brown Bears,by a gent who knew how to use it.

Funny how it actually works.

I've never played Saw Horses & Water Bottles,but it really sounds convincing.

Laffin'!

efw,

You boys is gonna talk me into Hunting something other than my 30-'06,yet.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 58 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.